• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

AARland Choice AwAARds 2006 Q2 Final Round

• Empire of Fu Manchu by The Yogi

Votes: 18 27,3%
  • The Tower of Fear by MacRaith

Votes: 9 13,6%
  • Fire Warms the Northern Lands by Rensslaer

Votes: 16 24,2%
  • The Eagles of Avalon by Mettermrck

Votes: 23 34,8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OK - there's the poll. You cannot add a poll to a thread already started. You have to post the poll as a new thread and then merge the already started thread into it. At least, that's what I could figure.

In future, anonymous (and anyone else for that matter), you need to contact one of the mods prior to starting any initiative that will require one of us to take action (and some that do not - if in question, ask first.) Please do not simply expect us to act (even if you say please.) Further, there may be other issues involved that one or all of the mods may wish to address before hand. It was not done in this particular circumstance, and I do not mind telling you I was extremely unhappy. Let's not allow such to happen again. Thank you.

Last edited:
Mettermrck said:
I looked at the Thread Tools and I don't see a "pollify" button. If anyone can show me the procedure, I can attempt this great quest. :)

It should be there. Although I know that Demi-Mods have barely any real powers on this forum, so perhaps it's only a power which the full mods have access to.

Vincent Julien said:
Surprising?

Wouldn't it be more effective for you to just go ahead and write why you don't agree with it being surprising? :p :D

Well, because 'Eagles' is easily one of the best AARs going at the moment, and is widely acknowledged as such. The fact that it's taken an early lead is not surprising at all.

Vincent Julien said:
Well, because 'Eagles' is easily one of the best AARs going at the moment, and is widely acknowledged as such. The fact that it's taken an early lead is not surprising at all.

Agree wholeheartedly, and will probably vote for it too. But I got to read up a bit on the other two candidates first, so I'm witholding my vote for now.

EDIT: I've spent my workday reading, and damn, this is hard! "Fire warms the northern land" is a great AAR, but not entirely my cup of tea. I however thoroughly ejoy "The Tower of Fear", it reads like a good horror novel, something which is rare indeed. In the end, it has almost had to come to tossing a coin, but "Eagles of Avalon" gets my vote by the smallest possible margin because it has this little extra sliver of excellence. These are two magnificent AARs, but alas I have only one vote.

And thanks for your vote cthulhu! :)

Last edited:
Vincent Julien said:

Eagles is indeed an excellent AAR, but of course, which is evident by my vote, I found EoFM to be even better. If you by “widely acknowledged” mean the amount of comments and recognition, I am sure EoFM can match it. I would contribute the surprising :p lead more to the fact that the people who are following Eagles* are more frequent in this part of AAR-land.

The Yogi said:
And thanks for your vote cthulhu! :)

Just voting for the very best, Yog! :)

* Not to diminsh your superb work, Mett.

Last edited:
The Yogi said:
I've spent my workday reading, and damn, this is hard! :) "Fire warms the northern land" is a great AAR, but not entirely my cup of tea.
Thank you for your kind words, Yogi! But you're right, this is hard!

I have the other three open in separate windows at work ( :rolleyes: ), and when I get a chance I read a scene from each.

I have difficulties with stories based on the Cthulhu paradigm for religious reasons, but Tower of Fear is magnificently written, and gripping! (same with Cthulhu's, for that matter... but I digress!).

And your writing and Mett's have always been at the top of my list (though I haven't yet made it through all the way on either).

This should be an interesting competition!

Rensslaer

Rensslaer said:
I have difficulties with stories based on the Cthulhu paradigm for religious reasons, but Tower of Fear is magnificently written, and gripping! (same with Cthulhu's, for that matter... but I digress!).

Rens, as a (I assume) fellow Christian who loves Lovecraftian horror, consider this; I do not believe in vampires, zombies or any kind of undead. Yet they're the staple of horror stories.

Now I cannot imagine anything more horrible than a universe were not only is there no Almighty God, but instead there are other monstrous and evil deites to which we are nothing but playthings. I don't believe in it, just as I don't believe in vampires or ghouls - but damn it's scary!

Last edited:
Rensslaer said:

Interesting. I have had thoughts about this very issue and I have discussed it to some extent with Mett a while ago. Could you expand on this? Either in a PM or maybe in a seperate thread under the General Discussion area in AAR-land (I hope Yogi wants to participate, he makes a good point), as we don't want to hijack this thread. But it could be of interest to other writers with a religious persuasion. :)

Rensslaer said:
I have difficulties with stories based on the Cthulhu paradigm for religious reasons,

I have to say that I consider this to be a rather puzzling statement. All fantasy/horror/whatever fiction is surely based around a suspension of disbelief; are we implying that fantasy readers actually believe in dragons or whatever?

I was thinking about this last night, and would be glad to start an OT thread to discuss it, because I think it is a really interesting subject.

It's not that I believe in vampires or zombies or anything like that. But I do believe in evil, nor am I saying one shouldn't read stories like that... it's just...

Well, let's wait for the thread... I'll see if I can start it later.

Rensslaer

Thanks for splitting off the thread, Yogi. :) It is a very interesting discussion topic.

And just a plug - I hope those voting here take a moment and head over to EUII to vote on the OscAARs if they have not done so already. Six great AARs from the early part of the year are going at it so don't miss the chance to add your voice. :D

I have voted for

Eagles of Avalon

Normally you would have thought that I would have voted for a CK AAR, but I am afraid that the Tower of Fear is abondened, so for me it means I can't vote for it as being 'the best'

Vincent Julien said:
..... are we implying that fantasy readers actually believe in dragons or whatever?

I do. The Dragon king comments in my AAR frequently. I'm also partial to cows....

:sees Coz wondering what this has to do with the awAARd: :eek:

er...cows...which can be seen early on in 'Eagles' by Mett! :)

The race is pretty close!