• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

AARland Choice AwAARds 2006 Q2 Final Round

• Empire of Fu Manchu by The Yogi

Votes: 18 27,3%
  • The Tower of Fear by MacRaith

Votes: 9 13,6%
  • Fire Warms the Northern Lands by Rensslaer

Votes: 16 24,2%
  • The Eagles of Avalon by Mettermrck

Votes: 23 34,8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

unmerged(17581)

AARlander
Jun 12, 2003
Visit site
Welcome to the final round of the AARland Choice AwAARds 2006 Q2! This is the round where you vote for your Favorite AAR, Overall from the four Overall category winners of the last round! (Could a mod please pollify this please?)

The four winners are:
Empire of Fu Manchu by The Yogi
The Tower of Fear by MacRaith
Fire Warms the Northern Lands by Rensslaer
The Eagles of Avalon by Mettermrck

All of them are great! Three of them are ridiculously long! But I urge, nay, require you to read at least parts of all four AARs before making your vote! It will be a very difficult decision, as these represent the very best AARland has to offer. But you do have four weeks to do it, for voting finishes on August 28!

Ideally, I would ask you to read all four of these AARs in their entirety before voting. However, even four weeks might not be enough time for that task! So I have provided the April 01 2006 'cutoffs', and I ask you to at least read the AARs from there.

It may seem daunting, and it is, but remember that these are among the best we have to offer! All four are great reads, at the pinnacle of their subfora, and if you don't think reading AARs is a waste of time (and if you do, what are you doing here?) these AARs certainly will not be!

I'll also encourage people to post in this thread with what they thought about all four AARs and what they liked about them. Because it will be very difficult to choose, and you can always say kind words for all of the AARs, even if you did not pick it as your vote.

Empire of Fu Manchu

The Tower of Fear

Fire Warms the Northern Lands

The Eagles of Avalon

Well, for my part I just have to say Eagles of Avalon is one of the most fascinating, deatiled, readable, well crafted, well-spoken (dialogue-wise), and entertaining works I have seen in this forum. And while my knowledge of the works is certainly not exhaustive, I've seen a lot of the best our writers have to offer, and this is up there with the very best!

Not to mention Mett's other masterpiece, Advantages Without Obligations, in the HOI 1 forum. But that's not up for this award...

Rensslaer

It seems that this has gotten little notice...

anonymous4401 said:
It seems that this has gotten little notice...

I'd think people are waiting for this to be polled. Also, since we're supposed to read before we vote, it's small wonder no one has completed that tall order as of yet.

Well, by notice, I meant that I thought a mod would notice by now and add a poll to it! :eek:

anonymous4401 said:
Well, by notice, I meant that I thought a mod would notice by now and add a poll to it! :eek:

Have you sent a PM? :)

Can you not add polls to threads as a Demi Mod, Mett?

'Tis easy.

I don't know. Would a poll be better or would having people post their votes (or PM) be better? It seems the latter would encourage more thorough thinking, no? And thorough thinking is something that I'd like to require!

An anonymous poll in this thread would be far better, because it would encourage voting, and the more people vote, the better. A PM approach could possibly produce a perverse outcome, because - and I know from long experience that this is so - people are frankly lazy when it comes to things like this. (And I readily include myself in that.)

I don't think you can induce thought simply by making the process more inaccesible. People are either going to naturally give consideration to their vote, or they're not.

Last edited:
I think Vincent is probably right in this, no matter how much thought I'd rather folks give to it. :D

Rensslaer

I have to agree with Vincent. In general principle, the harder a thing is to do, the less people are going to bother. Anon's right in those that do bother are more likely to have read everything thoroughly....but I'm not sure you want to discourage voting.

Rensslaer said:
I think Vincent is probably right in this, no matter how much thought I'd rather folks give to it. :D

Rensslaer

2nd-ed. The thing we want is a lot of votes, votes from everybody not from a select group.

Alright, anonymous poll it is. Though the alternate approach was by PM or posting in the thread, not just PM! And I hope that some advertising is done for this just as was done for the ACA. I'm not too sure many people even know this is going on...

I'll advertise, though I don't know how much attention my AAR is getting these days...

...except from people who already KNOW about the poll! :p

Rensslaer

anonymous4401 said:
I'm not too sure many people even know this is going on...

I guess there will be 150+ votes for this one. But, of course, that is only a wild gues.

Maybe we could use something like this

votejpeg.jpg