• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(17581)

AARlander
Jun 12, 2003
Visit site
Welcome to the AARland Choice AwAARds! This is the first AARland Choice AwAARds that was not restricted to the Vicky Forums, and the second one overall.

What AARe the AARland Choice AwAARds, you AARsk? Well, it is an awAARd system that is voted upon by the public, i.e. you, that occupies a spot below the OscAAR/ReadAAR's Choice AwAARd/VictAARian Cross and...well...nothing, because the OscAARs/ReadAAR's Choice AwAARds/VictAARian Crosses are the only voted-upon awAARd system. This AARland Choice AwAARd will differ from those due to its lack of nomination process, and its blinding regularity. If all goes as planned, an AARland Choice AwAARds will be held at the beginning of every quarter of the year. Oct 1 is the beginning of the 4th Quarter of 2005.

The voting will last until March 07, when the votes will be tallied and a winner declared in each category. If several people indicate by that time that they wish to vote but need a little more time reviewing AARs before they do sio, I'll extend it by a week making it a round four weeks. (I know I should have started this in Jan 01, but I was gone for a while) Voting can be either public, by posting your vote in this very thread, or private, by sending a PM to me with your vote. One poster, one vote. (I actually prefer the latter, however, as it has less of a chance to influence the other voters.)

The categories to vote upon are:

Best AAR, Overall

Best AAR, HOI2/1
Best Non-Fanfic AAR, HOI2/1
Best Comedy AAR, HOI2/1
Best History-Book AAR, HOI2/1
Best Narrative AAR, HOI2/1

Best AAR, EU2/1
Best Non-Fanfic AAR, EU2/1
Best Comedy AAR, EU2/1
Best History-Book AAR, EU2/1
Best Narrative AAR, EU2/1

Best AAR, Vicky/CK
Best Non-Fanfic AAR, Vicky/CK
Best Comedy AAR, Vicky/CK
Best History-Book AAR, Vicky/CK
Best Narrative AAR, Vicky/CK

Best Graphics, Overall

Seems like a bit of an overload, but you don't have to vote in every category to vote, or even in more than one category. Just go with what you know, though since you have three weeks you might as well expand your reading a little. Also, I combined Vicky and CK as you need both of them together to match the level of activity in EU2 and HOI2. If you think this is bad, I could change it so that they are voted on every six months instead of three, alternating...

Category Explanations:

Best AAR: What defines 'Best' is completely up to you, on your standards. Best written? Most funny? Most hard worked on? Perhaps the best in a combination of categories, or the AAR that has that special 'something'?

Non-Fanfic AAR: Pretty straightforward. The gameplay is lightly buried, if at all.

Examples of Non-Fanfic AARs:

IEX Totalview's Greek Empire: The Anti-Industrial Revolution (Very straightforward non-fanfic style)

Steele's Nukes for Nepal - An AAR(Again pretty straightforward)

Comedy AAR: Self-explanatory. Any AAR that is intentionally or unintentionally humourous.

Examples of Comedy AARs:

Haba's Take London - A Swiss AAR

Satcho's The Rest Stop to the West: A Luxemburg AAR

Farquharson's The Incorrupt Hand: a Comedy of Árpáds

(The thing about Comedy AARs is that they usually do fall into various other categories, due to the styles used by each author being unique. So it might be that a Comedy AAR is also chosen for one of the other categories on the strength of its writing.)

History Book AAR: Has more meat on its bones than a Non-Fanfic AAR, though the distinction is sometimes hard to draw. Does not get deeply into the characters as a character-driven AAR would, but instead reads like a history book in style, giving story justification for the events in the game and some even going as far as reading exactly like a history book written in that timeline would.

Examples of History Book AARs:

Syt's All quiet on the Western Front - Germany 1914 (Fairly straightforward expository style. While it does include little paragraphs of quotes, they are not large enough to make it count as a 'Narrative' AAR.)

Stonewall's From Stone to Steel: A History of Imperial Russia
(An obvious example of a History Book style)

Narrative AAR: 'Tell', not 'Show'. Into this would fall the novel-like AARs with characterisation, plot, and all that good stuff. But the AAR need not be 'novel-like' itself.

Examples of Narrative AARs:

Estonianzulu's War Without End (Most excellent. Very clearly is a narrative-style AAR, no question.)

Secret Master's The Lives of Famous and Noble Castilians: A Chronicle of the Kingdom of Castile (A classic, so I'm told)

Some AARs fall into multiple categories, perhaps by the virtue of including elements of each, such as blending game event explanations with a deep character-driven plot (making it non-fanfic and narrative).

Examples of AARs that are both 'Narrative' and 'History Book':

coz1's For the Glory of Persia (Literally contains elements of both, as there are history-book segments and narrative segments alike.)

Special Category: Best Graphics The AAR with the best graphics. Awesomely edited screenshots? Hand-drawn glory? Expert placement of stock photos? Which AAR best utilises the visual realm?

If voting for an AAR that can fit into more than one category, please vote according to the AAR's strength in the category you're placing it in. For example, if I vote for The Glory of Persia in the Narrative section, that means that I think that its narrative sections are excellent enough to beat out all of its competitors (which I do :cool:) but its history-book sections need not be the best.

Also, remember, the category is in the eye of the beholder. You may disagree with me in my classification. But I hope my words have gotten across the gist of what these categories are supposed to represent, and that you readers will make wise choices when classifying the AARs you consider.

Also, I ask voters not to vote on a category if they feel that they have not read enough, or indeed any at all, AARs in that category to make a good judgment. Any AAR that has been updated within the 4th Quarter, that is between Oct 1 and Dec 31 2005, will be eligible. However, if the AAR in question is updated only once or twice in that period, it is up to your judgment if you really think that the work during that period is worthy of your vote. But remember, you do not have to vote in all or even a majority or even more than one category to vote! You can always read more AARs and come back later with an edit or another PM.

Also, you cannot vote for your own AARs.

Example of voting post:

Best AAR, Overall: Where the Iron Crosses Grow - German AAR by The Yogi

Best AAR, HOI2/1:Where the Iron Crosses Grow - German AAR by The Yogi
Best Comedy AAR, HOI2/1: The Rest Stop to the West: A Luxemburg AAR by Satcho
Best Non-Fanfic AAR, HOI2/1:Nukes for Nepal - An AAR by Steele
Best History-Book AAR, HOI2/1: Rise of the People's Republic of France by Vendere Sacerdo
Best Narrative AAR, HOI2/1: Chiarire le Intenzioni by TekcoR

Best AAR, EU2/1:l’Eminence Grise by MrT
Best Comedy AAR, EU2/1: The Timurid Scientists AAR by Peter Ebbesen
Best Non-Fanfic AAR, EU2/1: Encyclopedia wAARspite : Cambodia by Warspite
Best History-Book AAR, EU2/1: The One True Faith: A Byzantine AAR by MAlexander06
Best Narrative AAR, EU2/1: l’Eminence Grise by MrT

Best AAR, Victoria/CK: Ladislaus I the Saint, and his dynasty by siekel
Best Comedy AAR, Victoria/CK: The Incorrupt Hand: a Comedy of Árpáds by Farquharson
Best Non-Fanfic AAR, Victoria/CK: Greek Empire: The Anti-Industrial Revolution by IEX Totalview
Best History-Book AAR, Victoria/CK: Ladislaus I the Saint, and his dynasty by siekel
Best Narrative AAR, Victoria/CK: War Without End by Estonianzulu

Best Graphics: PostcAARds from Australia by Wolfhound

(Note: All AARs in this example were completed before 2005 Q4, so they are not eligible anyways, I'm pretty sure)

So get out and vote. I also encourage authors to advertise this in their AARs and whatnot. Please advertise this in your AARs.

And this thread is not a discussion on the merits of the award itself. It's the first time this has been expanded past a trial, so let's see if it can stand on its own legs.

Wow!

Well, I was hoping that you were up for continuing this, and I'm glad to see it! Thank you very much for putting in the time.

And, yes, this is a little overwhelming. But I'm pretty well read in all the fora, so I should be able to venture some good votes. And the variety of awards means increased richness of what and who we can honor.

I would second Anon's request that readAARs please vote for what they know, and what they can, and not let the number of awards scare you off! Let's have a good contest and let's see a good number of great AARs represented here!

I'll be back with posts, once I get my bearings! :rolleyes:

Rensslaer

I wonder... for those of us who are humorously challenged (that is to say, lack exposure to humorous AARs, NOT that we are challenged in humorous ways!) could you, Anonymous, or someone, throw up some suggestions of Comedy AARs?

I know BBBD has his Annexing story in the CK section, and Rocketman has at least 2 AARs in the Victoria section. I know there are others. Did you have one active during this period, as I seem to recall?

Also, Anonymous, I do think it would cause problems to combine the Vicky and CK awards. I think you would have people who are most/only familiar with Vicky competing votewise with those who are most/only familiar with CK, which would confuse the issue. And I know I have separate favorites in CK than in Vicky. I see your suggestion about alternating one for the other, but unless you want to make it a 6 month period for each then, you would completely miss some smaller, quicker AARs.

Just some thoughts.

Rensslaer

It's going to take me a while to think on some of these. But I will try. Good to see you taking this forum wide. I do, however, agree with Renss that combining CK and Vickie is a bit unfair to both, regardless of how busy each section may be compared to the others.

Also, you may want to think about either advertising this in the sub-sections or double posting in the sub sections because there are some people that simply will not see this here even if they are told about it. Don't know why, but some people still do not realize that this main area is here, or they just don't care to come here and see what threads are about.

Anyway, back when I've had more of a chance to think through this. (And don't get discouraged too quickly if this thread stays silent for a bit. Some folks may not know what to say quite yet, or are thinking of their votes as well and may not want to post until then.)

coz1 said:
Also, you may want to think about either advertising this in the sub-sections or double posting in the sub sections because there are some people that simply will not see this here even if they are told about it. Don't know why, but some people still do not realize that this main area is here, or they just don't care to come here and see what threads are about.
Quite concur! I am constantly amazed at what percentage of winners of the various weekly awards don't even know where the place is! :eek:

coz1 said:
(And don't get discouraged too quickly if this thread stays silent for a bit. Some folks may not know what to say quite yet, or are thinking of their votes as well and may not want to post until then.)
I quite agree! I'm realizing it may take 2-3 days or more for me to do this. And I think I'm better prepared than most! :D

Rensslaer

You both have a point. It is a shame that the Vicky and CK AAR fora have such little activity. But if I don't combine them, it's not a 2005 Q4 award, is it? Ah, I don't know.

But it might be better if I did have a thread in each subforum, with only the awards for that subforum displayed. It would be much less of an overload. I will probably do that by the end of today, providing links to the other threads.

Perhaps I should also change the structure slightly. For the 'Best AAR, Overall' entails being ludicrously well-read in all the AAR subfora, and I conjecture there is no one poster that is. So for that category, perhaps a second round of voting is needed, with the candidates being all the winners from the subforum rounds.

For Vickie/CK, and Dippy for that matter, I think they will need to be watched closely. If the quarter in question sees activity rise, then perhaps the AwAARds should adapt to that. But as it stands now, I think it would probably be OK to switch back and forth between them...maybe (primary Vickie and CK players will probably have much more to say on this score.) Or, you could be completely fair (even if activity does not warrent it) and break them out into two different sections.

Also, and this is just my thinking so take it as you will, I think the subsection awAARds should probably be run out of each section rather than the main hall. Yes, that does not assist bringing the different areas together, but it does allow the section itself to see the awAARd on a daily basis. A reminder in the main section pointing to each of the sections would probably be the way to go. But that's just my thinking.

And Renss - I don't know about others, but the Main hall is the first place I go whenever I visit AARland. Because of that, I am usually pretty up to date on what is happening there. I have no idea how others do it, though I do know that if you normally use your User CP to visit your subscribed threads, you will miss quite a lot going on, both in the main hall and elsewhere in AARland.

Although I am not a frequent poster and only read the HoI II AARs I would like to make a contribution to this priceworthy enterprise of Anonymous. Without further ado:
Best AAR: The Yogi's The Eagle and the Lion
Best Comedy AAR, Anonymous4401's The Secrets of the AARk
Best History-Book AAR, Vincent Junien's Prussian Moderation
Best Narrative AAR (probably smuggling a bit here, but this one needs to be mentioned and 'best comedy' is already taken. Then again, this one is narrative, in a way): Wolfhound's Doomed from the stAARt
Best graphics AAR: Oranje Verzet's The Iron Cross" - WW2 DocumentAARy

I think you have to split CK and Vicky to two separate awars groups. About Dippy I think we should have one award there. Best Dippy AAR.

Best AAR overall: 2Coats' "Pictorial Lesson in Warfare"
Best HOI2 Narrative: Singleton Mosby's "Fighting the Riders of the Apocalypse."
Best HOI2 Comedy: anonymous4401's "Secrets of the AARk."

Last edited:
Anonymous, this a tall order. Lots of great writing to choose from. I'll need weeks to even come close.

Advertisement is going to be an issue, as few stop by the main AARland forum. :)

I encourage people to put something in their signatures about these awards. Surprisingly enough, it works. :)

coz1 said:
Also, and this is just my thinking so take it as you will, I think the subsection awAARds should probably be run out of each section rather than the main hall.
Since this is a collection of votes, and not a formal poll, is there any reason why there couldn't be a section here AND in each of the game forae?

Seems like it would get more attention that way, and wouldn't be all that much harder to tally the votes. The only difference would be some people couldn't see who others were voting for in the main forum, but since others e-mail Anonymous anyway... It shouldn't matter! :)

Renss

Yes, I would rearrange things. But I have a midterm tomorrow and can't do anything. Swamped for time, you see...

And voters, MAKE SURE THE AAR YOU ARE VOTING FOR MEETS THE REQUIREMENTS! I'm looking at you, Nameless. The last one you voted for ended in 2004. I had already said that the AARs in the 'Sample Voting' and the category examples are all ineligible due to them being very old.

And make sure you have them in actual categories. There is no 'Best

anonymous4401 said:
Yes, I would rearrange things. But I have a midterm tomorrow and can't do anything. Swamped for time, you see...

And voters, MAKE SURE THE AAR YOU ARE VOTING FOR MEETS THE REQUIREMENTS! I'm looking at you, Nameless. The last one you voted for ended in 2004. I had already said that the AARs in the 'Sample Voting' and the category examples are all ineligible due to them being very old.

And make sure you have them in actual categories. There is no 'Best

Okay. I edited that post. But could you complete your sentence? :D

Also, can I vote for an AAR in two categories? I think "Riders of the Apocalypse" deserves best graphics as well as best narrative.

Last edited:
Nameless said:
Also, can I vote for an AAR in two categories? I think "Riders of the Apocalypse" deserves best graphics as well as best narrative.
In answer for the likely stressed Anonymous, I'm pretty sure the answer is yes -- that would be okay. :)

Renss

Yes, voting for a single AAR in mult. categories is fine.

This is my votes. I do not follow many AARs from before the new year so I had few to choose from. Still it was pretty even in the fight for the best HoI AAR (which almost also ment best AAR overall)

Best AAR, Overall
Secrets of the AARk

Best AAR, HOI2/1
Secrets of the AARk
Best Non-Fanfic AAR, HOI2/1
A Magyar Királyság újjászületése (Revival of the Kindom of Hungary) - a Hungarian AAR
Best Comedy AAR, HOI2/1
Secrets of the AARk
Best History-Book AAR, HOI2/1
"The Iron Cross" - WW2 DocumentAARy
Best Narrative AAR, HOI2/1
X-com: fighting 'the riders of the Apocalypse' (large pics ahead)

Best Comedy AAR, EU2/1
P is for Portugal

Best Graphics, Overall
Doomed from the StAARt (large pics ahead)

I'm still unclear about my votes, but I believe a Special Achievement Award of some sort (perhaps a Sympathy OscAAR?) should be granted to coz1's "Quest" in the EUII forum.

Hajji - It wouldn't even qualify for the time period since I started Quest in January, after the 4th Quarter of 2005. But thanks for the sympathy anyway. ::sniff...we hardly knew ye:: :(

I'm formulating votes, anonymous. Coming soon.

Best AAR, Overall: The Third Empire by cthulhu

Best AAR, HOI2/1: The Third Empire
Best Non-Fanfic AAR, HOI2/1:
Best Comedy AAR, HOI2/1: Secret's of the AARk by anonymous4401
Best History-Book AAR, HOI2/1: The Third Empire
Best Narrative AAR, HOI2/1: Empire of Fu Manchu by The Yogi

Best AAR, EU2/1: Desert Tides by Storey
Best Non-Fanfic AAR, EU2/1:
Best Comedy AAR, EU2/1: P is for Portugal by Farquharson
Best History-Book AAR, EU2/1: Dreams of Albion by SirCliveWolfe
Best Narrative AAR, EU2/1: The Hussite Lament by Hajji Giray I

Best AAR, Vicky: 'The Patriot's Sword': The Republic of Canada by RossN
Best Non-Fanfic AAR, Vicky: Outcasts of Ionia: Shadows of Empire VIP 0.4b by Falconhurst
Best Comedy AAR, Vicky: I'm Going Slightly Mad by Rocketman
Best History-Book AAR, Vicky:'The Patriot's Sword': The Republic of Canada by RossN
Best Narrative AAR, Vicky: Chronological Influences II: by TC Pilot

Best AAR, CK: Sins of the Father by Alhazen
Best Non-Fanfic AAR, CK:
Best Comedy AAR, CK: The Crusader Mafia by the_shy_kid
Best History Book AAR, CK:
Best Narrative AAR, CK: Sins of the Father by Alhazen

Best Graphics, Overall: Doomed from the StAARt by Wolfhound.

Last edited: