• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow! I wanted to comment from a "historical" standpoint, since I seem to be one of the more veteran forumites who's voting this time around.

I also hope this generates some last minute interest in voting, because voting WILL make a difference, practically NO MATTER who you're voting for! Places are changing back and forth, in multiple categories!

I honestly have NEVER seen so much participation in the AARLand Choice AwAARds before! It seems to me like maybe there were more pages in previous contests, but I think there are more votes being cast in this than in those older ones (probably because more people are voting for multiple AARs, and not singles).

It's possible that our new voting format (i.e. not ranking, pooling for each game category) may have something to do with the increased interest. It could also be that there are more AARs, and more talent represented by the AAR writers. Or it could be both.

I don't know why I'm so obsessed with watching the voting, as it comes down to its final hours (btw I'm NOT running this or tallying the votes officially -- I'm just keeping track on my own). It's probably that there are just LOTS of opportunities to make a difference, because there are ALOT of close votes!!!

The first thing that stands out is how close so many AARs are, in multiple categories, jockeying for places!

The second thing I notice is how many total AARs are getting votes. Lots! I've run these votes at times in the past, and the number of AARs with at least one vote is pretty large.

So congratulations, voters! Congratulations, writers! This is exciting, for someone who remembers the very first AARLand Choice AwAARds, and how humble its beginnings were.

My observations (as of 1/30 with 1 day left to vote -- warning, my vote tally may be off by 1 or 2):

In Crusader Kings, 30 separate AARs with votes, most with more than 1 vote.

Two AARs appear to be tied for 1st place at 13, the other contenders numbering 12, 10, 8 and 7 votes respectively. That's 3 AARs virtually tied for 1st, and another 3 not far behind! Wow! Just wow! Photo finish time, folks! :)

In Europa Universalis, 20 separate AARs with votes, most with more than 1 vote. Consider that the EU franchise is the "oldest" -- not just the most history, chronologically, but the longest time passed since the latest version came out (everyone is anticipating EU 4, but normally you'd see EU 3 AARs less popular because it's "dated" -- NOT this year!).

In the EU category, one AAR has led just slightly since the very beginning, and over time has pulled away. But 2nd and 3rd place is very much in question as FOUR different AARs are within 1 vote of 2nd place!

Victoria has always lagged behind the other games because it's "more intellectual", I suppose, or maybe "more complicated". But this round there are 25 AARs represented -- quite AMAZING for Victoria!

One AAR spent most of the voting weeks in 1st place, but another has gradually gained ground and very recently has pulled AHEAD! It's 12 for one AAR, 11 for the other -- could still change! There's a 2-way tie for 3rd, with another couple AARs within 1 vote who could suddenly come up from behind!

ONE THING TO NOTE -- THERE ARE AT LEAST 5 VOTES CURRENTLY CAST FOR VICTORIA AARS WHICH ARE INELIGIBLE! CHECK YOUR VOTES! CHECK FOR START DATES, ETC.

There are 28 Hearts of Iron (or variant) AARs which have received votes!

This is another exciting race! One AAR led practically the whole voting period, with a whole gaggle trailing just behind. The AAR which HAD been in 3rd place for much of this time has recently surged and now is tied for 1st! That's 2 AARs tied at 11, one at 9, one at 7, and 4 different AARs tied at 6!!

I have rarely seen so many AARs competing for the 3 places in ANY game category, much less MOST of them!

Lastly, in the "not listed" (wild card) AAR category, we've also seen a comeback there. One AAR had led, and remains ahead with 7 votes, but another AAR surged from 0 to 5 in just 2 weeks, and could still win!

An amazing round of voting. I'm on the edge of my seat! Remember, I've watched every round of voting since this tradition started, in 2007 or so. I've even run some rounds. I don't ever remember a round that was this fluid, and had this much excitement.

Let's keep it going in the last 24 hours!

Rensslaer

Okay, I'll add my opinion then, though I only started reading AARs recently so I'll tend to be skewed toward newer AARs. Games are in order of my competence with them, but votes for people are in no particular order. I tend to like narrative, character-based AARs with lots of text and gameplay screenshots, and I tend to like people who are able to draw (because I bloody well can't).

Favourite EU3 AARs

1 "The Lone and Level Sands" - A Morrocan AAR by Char1es
2 InTveresting Times: An AfTver Action Report by Fyregecko
3 How to Be Completely Mediocre at Playing Your Own Mod by horny_dog34
4 Can Poland Into Space? A Poland Polandball AAR! by Derahan

Favourite CK2 AARs

1 In the Footsteps of Charlemagne - The Second Coming of House Karling by DensleyBlair
2 The Nazi Time Machine - A Strange Story of the First Reich by Lord Finnish
3 Waltzing Matilda: A Tuscan AAR by Torngasuk
4 March of Austria by Athalcor

Favourite Victoria 2 AARs
Note - I don't actually play Vicky2, though I might well do so in the future thanks to reading some wonderful AARs.

1 Bucking the Trend - An Equestria AHD AAR by Onikujo
2 Subcontinental Subtleties: An experimental comic AAR by Selzro
3 Tales of an AARchipelago: The Philippines by Xenophon13
4 Messin' with Maori - A Take On New Zealand by Micutio

Favourite World at War AARs (HoI 1, 2, and 3 as well as DH and AoD)
Favourite AGEOD AAR (only 1 nomination)
Favourite AAR from a game not listed above (Rome, Mount and Blade, Sengoku - only 1 nomination)

Don't know enough about them, sorry!

Wow! I wanted to comment from a "historical" standpoint, since I seem to be one of the more veteran forumites who's voting this time around.

I also hope this generates some last minute interest in voting, because voting WILL make a difference, practically NO MATTER who you're voting for! Places are changing back and forth, in multiple categories!

I honestly have NEVER seen so much participation in the AARLand Choice AwAARds before! It seems to me like maybe there were more pages in previous contests, but I think there are more votes being cast in this than in those older ones (probably because more people are voting for multiple AARs, and not singles).

It's possible that our new voting format (i.e. not ranking, pooling for each game category) may have something to do with the increased interest. It could also be that there are more AARs, and more talent represented by the AAR writers. Or it could be both.

I don't know why I'm so obsessed with watching the voting, as it comes down to its final hours (btw I'm NOT running this or tallying the votes officially -- I'm just keeping track on my own). It's probably that there are just LOTS of opportunities to make a difference, because there are ALOT of close votes!!!

The first thing that stands out is how close so many AARs are, in multiple categories, jockeying for places!

The second thing I notice is how many total AARs are getting votes. Lots! I've run these votes at times in the past, and the number of AARs with at least one vote is pretty large.

So congratulations, voters! Congratulations, writers! This is exciting, for someone who remembers the very first AARLand Choice AwAARds, and how humble its beginnings were.

My observations (as of 1/30 with 1 day left to vote -- warning, my vote tally may be off by 1 or 2):

In Crusader Kings, 30 separate AARs with votes, most with more than 1 vote.

Two AARs appear to be tied for 1st place at 13, the other contenders numbering 12, 10, 8 and 7 votes respectively. That's 3 AARs virtually tied for 1st, and another 3 not far behind! Wow! Just wow! Photo finish time, folks! :)

In Europa Universalis, 20 separate AARs with votes, most with more than 1 vote. Consider that the EU franchise is the "oldest" -- not just the most history, chronologically, but the longest time passed since the latest version came out (everyone is anticipating EU 4, but normally you'd see EU 3 AARs less popular because it's "dated" -- NOT this year!).

In the EU category, one AAR has led just slightly since the very beginning, and over time has pulled away. But 2nd and 3rd place is very much in question as FOUR different AARs are within 1 vote of 2nd place!

Victoria has always lagged behind the other games because it's "more intellectual", I suppose, or maybe "more complicated". But this round there are 25 AARs represented -- quite AMAZING for Victoria!

One AAR spent most of the voting weeks in 1st place, but another has gradually gained ground and very recently has pulled AHEAD! It's 12 for one AAR, 11 for the other -- could still change! There's a 2-way tie for 3rd, with another couple AARs within 1 vote who could suddenly come up from behind!

ONE THING TO NOTE -- THERE ARE AT LEAST 5 VOTES CURRENTLY CAST FOR VICTORIA AARS WHICH ARE INELIGIBLE! CHECK YOUR VOTES! CHECK FOR START DATES, ETC.

There are 28 Hearts of Iron (or variant) AARs which have received votes!

This is another exciting race! One AAR led practically the whole voting period, with a whole gaggle trailing just behind. The AAR which HAD been in 3rd place for much of this time has recently surged and now is tied for 1st! That's 2 AARs tied at 11, one at 9, one at 7, and 4 different AARs tied at 6!!

I have rarely seen so many AARs competing for the 3 places in ANY game category, much less MOST of them!

Lastly, in the "not listed" (wild card) AAR category, we've also seen a comeback there. One AAR had led, and remains ahead with 7 votes, but another AAR surged from 0 to 5 in just 2 weeks, and could still win!

An amazing round of voting. I'm on the edge of my seat! Remember, I've watched every round of voting since this tradition started, in 2007 or so. I've even run some rounds. I don't ever remember a round that was this fluid, and had this much excitement.

Let's keep it going in the last 24 hours!

Rensslaer

Oh man, you have made it much more interesting! I decided not to count the votes in order to hold the tension to the very end ;).

Also, I am not a forum member for a very long time but still I think that the new voting format is much better.

Oh man, you have made it much more interesting! I decided not to count the votes in order to hold the tension to the very end ;).

Also, I am not a forum member for a very long time but still I think that the new voting format is much better.

Actually, I've been keeping away from tallying as well, even though I don't have an AAR eligible for this :p

Still like to be surprised though :)

A small suggestion for the next ACA's. Instead of ending the voting on the 1st of the next month after it start, maybe it would be better if voting would last exactly 30 days from when the voting starts. This would mean that there would always be the same amount of time to vote even if the ACA's begin with a slight delay, like they did this time.

P.S. Please tell me if this made sense. I've just woken up and my mind is a bit fuzzy until I finish drinking my coffee :p

Favourite World at War AARs (HoI 1, 2, and 3 as well as DH and AoD) (up to 4, please include links)

1 Vive L'Empereur: The Third French Empire - a National France Kaiserreich AAR, by Antoninehttp://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?570743-Vive-L-Empereur-The-Third-French-Empire-a-National-France-Kaiserreich-AAR

Favorite EU 3 AAR
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?609356-Lords-of-France-Roads-to-the-Enlightenment

My choice would be pretty much the same... I am very curious about the outcome!

Can we please save the comments and analysis for the inevitable comments and analysis thread, i.e. once voting has actually finished?

Last edited:
Hopefully this vote is in time and if not, well, bollocks.

These votes are in absolutely no particular order whatsoever, this was typed out in a rush.

Favourite CK 1/2 AARs (up to 4, please include links)

If with evil you punish ... by loki100
The Alexandriad: A Personal History of the Times of King Alexander I the Conqueror by Tanzhang (譚張)
March of Austria by Athalcor
There's nowt as queer as Norfolk... - A Norfolk AAR by DensleyBlair

Favourite EU 1/2/3 AARs (up to 4, please include links)

To India and back again. TAG-Hopping AAR by Hawkiee
Rise of the Mecklenburg Empire by History_Buff
Can Poland Into Space? A Poland Polandball! AAR by Derahan
InTveresting Times: An AfTver Action Report by Fyregecko

Favourite Victoria 1/2/ AARs (up to 4, please include links)

Subcontinental Subtleties: An experimental comic AAR by Selzro
Tales of an AARchipelago: The Philippines by Xenophon13
Did you know there are 2 sicilies? v2.0 by spiller68
A tale of two Kaisers : a gameplay Prussia AAR (AHD 2.31) by diegoami

Manufacturing Italy: A PoN GC (... sort of) by loki100

Favourite AAR from a game not listed above (Rome, Mount and Blade, Sengoku - only 1 nomination)

The Punic Curse by loki100

Hopefully this vote is in time and if not, well, bollocks.

These votes are in absolutely no particular order whatsoever, this was typed out in a rush.

Favourite CK 1/2 AARs (up to 4, please include links)

If with evil you punish ... by loki100
The Alexandriad: A Personal History of the Times of King Alexander I the Conqueror by Tanzhang (譚張)
March of Austria by Athalcor
There's nowt as queer as Norfolk... - A Norfolk AAR by DensleyBlair

Favourite EU 1/2/3 AARs (up to 4, please include links)

To India and back again. TAG-Hopping AAR by Hawkiee
Rise of the Mecklenburg Empire by History_Buff
Can Poland Into Space? A Poland Polandball! AAR by Derahan
InTveresting Times: An AfTver Action Report by Fyregecko

Favourite Victoria 1/2/ AARs (up to 4, please include links)

Subcontinental Subtleties: An experimental comic AAR by Selzro
Tales of an AARchipelago: The Philippines by Xenophon13
Did you know there are 2 sicilies? v2.0 by spiller68
A tale of two Kaisers : a gameplay Prussia AAR (AHD 2.31) by diegoami

Manufacturing Italy: A PoN GC (... sort of) by loki100

The Punic Curse by loki100

Yes, it is selfish but I hope your votes count as well ;) (anyway, it was not stated when exactly and in which time zone the voting ends so...).

Okay, since it's a couple of hours since it was Feb 1 anywhere, it's safe to say the voting is closed. ;) No exact time was indeed given, so any votes here so far count.

Tallying's complete and the results are as follows:

CK 1/2
1 Land's End (14), by NewbieOne
1 The rise of the Hohenzollerns, 1192-1399: A mega campaign (14), by Avindian
3 The Nazi Time Machine - A Strange Story of the First Reich (13), by Lord Finnish
4 In the Shadow of Certain, Painful Doom: Abyssinia (10), by Philo32b

There were 129 votes cast for 31 different AARs. As a plus, there were no ineligible votes in the Crusader Kings category!

EU 1/2/3
1 InTveresting Times, An AfTver Action Report (14), by Fyregecko
2 A History of the World According to Paradox, A Hands-Off AAR, part 2 (8), by magritte2
2 How to Be Completely Mediocre at Playing Your Own Mod (8), by homy_dog34
2 The Triumph of the Near East (8), by Seelmeister

There were 84 votes cast for 20 different AARs, of which 2 votes for 1 ineligible AAR.

World at War
1 AMERICA saves the world! - USA AAR FtM 3.05 (12), by robw963
2 Tomorrow the World - A German AAR (10), by [MM]
3 Portuguese World Conquest AAR (9), by BarrosRodrigues
4 To arms! To Berlin! To wAAR!! (7), by siempie 78

Nice to know: 5th place in this category is tied among 4 AARs whom all have received only 1 votes less then #4.
There were 97 votes for 28 different AARs, of which 1 vote for 1 ineligible AAR.

Victoria 1/2
1 Subcontinental Subtleties: An experimental comic AAR (14), by Selzro
2 A return to Dutch arithmetic: A Netherlands AHD AAR (2.31) (11), by Avindian
3 A Hyderabad Holiday Special (6), by Selzro
3 Messin' with Maori - A Take On New Zealand (6), by Micutio
3 A tale of two Kaisers: a gameplay Prussia AAR (AHD 2.31) (6), by diegoami
3 Soks to be You - A Sokoto V2 AAR (6), by morningSIDEr

4-way tie for 3rd place!
There were 91 votes cast for 27 different AARs. 5 of those votes were for 2 ineligible AARs.

AGEOD
1 Manufacturing Italy: A PoN GC (3), by loki100

6 votes in total for 3 different AARs

Other
1 Ulm Plays March of the Eagles as Russia (7), by Svip

16 votes were cast for 4 different AARs.

Many congratulations to all the winners, to the ones whose AAR didn't make it to this post, to the voters and to loki100 for getting the thread up and running!

Another thread will be opened either today or tomorrow for more in depth analysis.

Congratulations! This was better than ever!