• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

elbasto

Tier 1 minion
82 Badges
Aug 12, 2003
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
Game: Victoria 1.03 + V.I.P. 0.3

This is my first AAR of my first Victoria game.
After reading part of the Vicky Wikki (thanks to its authors) I decided to start a game with a South American country as this area of the planet is regarded as a "sandbox" for game learning.

This won't be an elaborated AAR, I'm just going to post some end game pictures and a short description on how I got there. Also, it is going to have just one post (as I’d rather all writaars to do the same).

But first, for those oblivious to the Victoria Improvement Project mod, let me tell you that it's main goal is to create an historical game (which didn't happened in this case) by, e.g., increasing the cost of railroads, reducing the availability of certain resources, etc and thus, increasing the difficulty of the simulation.

If you like reading, suit yourself, if you like nothing but screenies (in which case you won’t have read this far I assume, so writing this is pointless) scroll to the end of the page

So, on with the AAR.

Disclaimer: Misa don’t speaka anglish too well.

Argentina starts the game in a very similar situation as today, in 1836 it is nothing but a barren desert, with a small population and a low density, their budget is a nightmare, they lack any industry, their army is a joke, their navy is non existent, it has bad relationships with it’s neighbors and technologically it is... not suitable for a major world power to say the least.

But… it has some potential advantages:
- First, it has a nice amount of starting cash (€ 2500)
- Second, it has some nice colonies at the south which can give her some prestige (fundamental for an early industrialization) all you need to do is build 1 more colonial building. (In vanilla Victoria there are two colonies but in the VIP there’s only one, I guess they want to reduce the prestige this country can make so a-historically early)
-Brazil, my most fearsome and gigantic neighbor is fighting a civil war (thanks VIP) so we can slow their economical (and thus military) development.

So first things first, we are loosing money. It is time for a short term solution, the military are founded at the lowest possible until they reduce the size of the divisions to 1900 men, after this, we increase the level of military expending (which is lower than at the start) to keep a steady influx of prestige. In either case, our manpower is negative and our leadership is non existent.

Now all I need is a long term solution for my deficit. I quickly realize (aka “duh!”) that we have a low population hence a low production and therefore a low income. How to solve this? Importing people of course… did I just refer to humans as tradable goods? Well, what would my public relation assessors say if I hadn’t killed them months ago.

What’s that? How do you arbitrary kill people as if they were cattle? Well, it’s not easy, you must become a dictator first of course… Now that I think of it, that might be the reason why people don’t like this place, it’s ruled by a mad man… Let’s give these natives the false sensation of choice… WE ARE NOW A DEMOCRACY!

Good use to my starting € (yes, considering that my keyboard doesn’t have the pound symbol, I believed that it was more appropriate to use the € than the $).

Now, look to all those Germans flock into town, thank god for the European wars. But they are not enough, Argentina still feels hungry… hungry for manpower.

In the mean time, our army was fighting (as expeditionary forces) among side the Piripatini (or whatever they called themselves) Republic to aid them in their war of independence from Brazil, keeping the “carioca” armies at bay. This means we don’t share a border (with Brazil) so we look at our only neighbor that is weaker than us: Uruguay.

Since it’s independence from Argentina, following a war against Brazil, in which the Argentinean army defeated a numerically superior Brazilian one, the lack of resources forced the Platinean government to release Uruguay. Therefore their existence is as insulting for us as Norway is for the Swedish (not much, actually, but that was a dramatic description, now wasn’t it?).

So, seizing the advantage of the Brazilian civil war, we declare war on Uruguay. Our puny army of 3800 infantry men and 1900 cavalry overwhelms the even punier (does that word exist?) army of 1000 “Orientales” (people born in Uruguay), and we proceed with the annexation.
At this point an event triggered (thank you VIP) saying that Brazil was threatening us with war if we didn’t release Uruguay. We took our chances and (call it luck of any sort) they didn’t dare to attack us, at least not while at civil war.

The next years were peacefully, too peaceful if you ask me. Just a small “started by event and ended by event” war with Bolivia (yes, in the VIP, Bolivia gets its independence, which you would seldom see in vanilla Victoria).

We spent the following years researching, receiving immigrants and most important, saving money. This allowed us to have excellent relations with Brazil, USA, Chile, Bolivia and the UK, this also make possible the claiming of the “Patagonia” giving us a lot of badly needed prestige. Argentina was among the top 15 nations in the planet (pathetic, I know).

By 1880, lots of technologies allowed us to start industrializing. Using our flocks of immigrants that located themselves in La Rioja (west of the country) we opened our first factory, a lumber factory.
The goal here was to make a “vertical integration”. Let’s see, how many of you can spell the word m-a-n-a-g-e-m-e-n-t? This means that we produce every single item of the chain of added value. Starting with timber (RGOs north of the country), next is lumber (timber + workers), followed by furniture (lumber + workers + timber) and in the end… Luxury Furniture (Furniture + timber + tropical wood).

What? We lack tropical wood? Doesn’t matter, Paraguay has some, so WAR WITH PARAGUAY.
After reinforcing our meaningless three divisions to half it strength (God, we are pathetic) we invade the Northern nation, encircle and destroy their only division in their capital, Asunción, (I learned that in Hearts of Iron) and followed with the conquest of the rest of the country. We got all their provinces but their capital, five years later, they would be completely annexed, with a steel factory (yippee!).

Now after having a large number of clerks (around 20% of our pops) we have already reached 15 Commercial techs and 11 Industrial ones, while having the starting 4 Cultural and Navy techs and 6 Army ones (traded for with the US) and… we are running low on prestige.

Can anyone say the word RUSH!? Yup, I rushed for all the culture techs, by 1890 I was the third most prestigious nation of the planet, so I achieved my World Power status.

Now, I continued my industrialization with the clothing industry (all of them) and steel and machine parts (for railroads only) and buying some (very) expensive railroads. One of the main problems of this country as I’ve said, is their low population density, so factories need to be built in different regions (you can’t concentrate everything in one) and therefore, railroads need to be everywhere… a real pain in the @$$...

This part was very tiresome. Getting money slowly, buying railroads, saving, transforming farmers into capitalists, saving again, expanding a factory. This process was slow, I only had 20 € per day, taxing my pops at 49.22 %, having no social reforms and having a laughable army.
In the mean time, the “Paraguayan/Uruguayan free fighters supported by Brazil” events (you got it, rebels… and lots of them) started triggering every time I loaded the game, so eventually I disabled them but to counter that, I focus on having excellent relations with Brazil (200 all the time).

Now, my goals were to learn a bit of warfare and still meet the deadlines so… after some patient rearmament program, my ten reserves divisions (mobilized), my 5 artillery divisions (newly raised), my two infantry divisions (that started with me, I lost the cavalry to some rebels) and my two new generals, declared war against Bolivia.

Somewhere during my war against Paraguay, an event triggered that turned 10% of my farmers into soldiers, this devastated my income but in the long term was proved useful.

By 1914 I had annexed Bolivia and nothing more significant happened.

By the end of the game, I could have researched (with great effort) all the tech tree (I believe that only the US did that) as I was earning over 3 research points per year, so the VIP community did a great job there.
Most of my railroads were early but almost half were experimental. I had the biggest and most advanced railroad network in Latin America. Only the Americans had a bigger one consisting of Early railroads too (as the British had in London) so the VIP community was successful once more making the game more historical.

The only setbacks were that Germany didn’t born, Italy became a super power and WWI never happened.

That was all, now to the screenies:

Final stand:

finalstand1zi.jpg

Railroads:

railroads5pj.jpg

Europe:

europe2ej.jpg

South America:

southamerica7xf.jpg

Africa:

africa3yl.jpg

I hoped you enjoyed this short and very poor in details aar.

One question though, at the end I didn’t finance Crime fighting in the entire game, do “corruption buildings” have any effect or they are as useful as negative tariffs?

Seemed like a good game.Well written and with good English.In VIP you can create La Plata with Argentina I'm not aware of the details of the event but it allows you to form the country La Plata after an annexation or control of the surrounding countries.I have done a Peru AAR myself S.America is great fun.

For crime after you research State & Government and have chosen Bureaucracy over Nepotism then you have the chance for an event which decreases tax efficiency the risk is higher if you have immoral businessses in your country. So before you research that tech make sure you have no crime.

cookie monster said:
Seemed like a good game.Well written and with good English.In VIP you can create La Plata with Argentina I'm not aware of the details of the event but it allows you to form the country La Plata after an annexation or control of the surrounding countries.I have done a Peru AAR myself S.America is great fun.

For crime after you research State & Government and have chosen Bureaucracy over Nepotism then you have the chance for an event which decreases tax efficiency the risk is higher if you have immoral businessses in your country. So before you research that tech make sure you have no crime.
I tried to recreate the "kingdom of la Plata" and become a monarchy, but doing that by 1890 (afterwards the event doesn't work) is a big challenge.

Oh I see just took a look death date of 1890.

I notice you didn't enact any social reforms. When you do you get a lot more immigrants when your not in debt and driving your plurality up fast will have them rushing to Argentina.

It's a pretty interesting AAR, though a bit too compressed (as a friendly suggestion for the future, you could try spreading your comments/screenshots over several posts)...which shows that despite playing with VIP there's still a lot of flexibility at the moment for a capable player (plus Argentina has a lot of events too, though apparently some didn't show up because of your actions, hehe).

Anyways, it's nice to see Argentina becoming a Great Power, at least for a while... ;)

elbasto said:
I tried to recreate the "kingdom of la Plata" and become a monarchy, but doing that by 1890 (afterwards the event doesn't work) is a big challenge.

Yeah, the point was to make it a bit harder than the simple world/region conquest that most people that know how to exploit the engine can achieve by 1900-1920 with relative ease....maybe this could be tweaked further in the (post-0.4) future, but for the moment I think it's an adequate condition. :mad:

The one-post AAR!
*applauds
Bravo, sir!

Scythe said:
It's a pretty interesting AAR, though a bit too compressed (as a friendly suggestion for the future, you could try spreading your comments/screenshots over several posts)...which shows that despite playing with VIP there's still a lot of flexibility at the moment for a capable player (plus Argentina has a lot of events too, though apparently some didn't show up because of your actions, hehe).

Anyways, it's nice to see Argentina becoming a Great Power, at least for a while... ;)

Yeah, the point was to make it a bit harder than the simple world/region conquest that most people that know how to exploit the engine can achieve by 1900-1920 with relative ease....maybe this could be tweaked further in the (post-0.4) future, but for the moment I think it's an adequate condition. :mad:

Oh I had tons of events but those were just setbacks/boosts in my prestige/economic expansion mainly, so I didn't comment them (exept for that early war with Bolivia and the Uruguay/Paraguay freedom fighters).

Thanks for the comments.

I am surprised your population is only 12 million at the end. I have just gotten 9 million as Argintina by 1866. Nic egoing though, looks like you had the same aims as I do.

well that might be because I wasn't aware that social reforms increased your inmigration chances.

I even had a couple of factories with no workers on them just to lure inmigrants but to no avail.

How did you manage such a big population so early in the game??

Anyhow, it was my first full game and with VIP which seems to make it harder, I'm now thinking on giving it a try as Russia when real life allows. What do you think?

elbasto said:
well that might be because I wasn't aware that social reforms increased your inmigration chances.

I even had a couple of factories with no workers on them just to lure inmigrants but to no avail.

How did you manage such a big population so early in the game??

Anyhow, it was my first full game and with VIP which seems to make it harder, I'm now thinking on giving it a try as Russia when real life allows. What do you think?

Well you managed a historical population which isnt bad atall. Immigration is something I have spent more time trying to master than anything else in Victoria. It involves social reforms and timing, thats all you need. Get good social reforms in place ready for the libral revelution when germans and poles will pour into your lands. As Argintina setting helath care and unemployment funds to max is really cheap at the start due to small population so do it as soon as possible. Germans poured in until only about 25% of my population was patagonian (Thats after assimilation). After the libral revelution it gets harder but I know get about 3000 spaniards a month.

Russia sounds like a cool idea, probably veyr ahrd with VIP

*applaud*
I had tried an Argentina AAR in Vanilla, but it was foiled by uber-Peru. Good job really. I was playing a game and I've conquered all of SA except the north. which I helped turn into Gran Colombia. Great job! And a Russia AAR? Haven't been too many of those, at least not ones that don't end in a WC.

sanmartin said:
*applaud*
I had tried an Argentina AAR in Vanilla, but it was foiled by uber-Peru. Good job really. I was playing a game and I've conquered all of SA except the north. which I helped turn into Gran Colombia. Great job! And a Russia AAR? Haven't been too many of those, at least not ones that don't end in a WC.
well, I wouldn't enjoy world conquest that much.
Or gamey strategies.

I'd rather play it historical and improve the results that were obtained in real life.