• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Prufrock451

A Footnote
44 Badges
Apr 22, 2002
www.buckyogi.com
  • Victoria 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Rome Gold
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Starvoid
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • For The Glory
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Lead and Gold
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
pirates.gif

Last edited:
Glad I had a hand in starting the movie poster trend for AARs.... ;)

M

I'll keel-haul ye if ye even think of abandoning Sibir...

Aar, fear ye not. I've no intention of leaving me first AAR (AAR!) unfinished, me hearty. Blow me down!

I promise that AAR! The Pirate AAR will be written mostly in English, and not in Pirate.*

*In Pirate: I give me word that AAR! Th'Pirate AAR (AAR!) will be writ down landlubber-fashion and not in the salty lingo of the seas. Aar.

I look forward to reading this.

Will you be adding any leaders, such as Bluebeard, Captain Kidd, Captain Krunch ( ;) ), Captain Morgan, Captain Hook, Long John Silvers, etc.?

Remember not to place any merchants, so the game won't crash. But placing merchants would be the last thing pirates would do anyway... they eat merchants for breakfast, after all. :)

Cap'n-

There are already a number of historic leaders for the pirates- a Compleat Rogue's Gallery, and every man jack of them thirsting for blood. I plan (unless one of the ModAARators frowns upon it) to answer questions about the setup and modifications in this thread, and then start a new one for the AAR proper.

But not Long John Silver- that landlubbing Defoe (EDIT: Stevenson. Was I really that tired? wow.) made him up! None of that. No, sir. Aar.

And I will remember- no merchants. Another thing my mother always told me was "never pay for what you can steal". Well, maybe that was Jimmy Corson, the guy down the block who got sent to reform school. But he was like my second mother.

Last edited:
RJ-

I'll be getting more into that later, but I'll start with this. Hakim Bey's TAZ.

TAZ stands for Temporary Autonomous Zone. Lately, a lot of revisionist historians (sparked by Bey's work) have been reevaluating the pirate culture of the 17th century. What a lot of them believe (and I find myself leaning towards this a lot the more I read) is that pirates weren't just after loot- they were after economic justice and personal freedom. A lot of pirates were escaped slaves, Africans and indentured whites- a lot of pirates were women, religious and ethnic minorities... basically the disenfranchised of Europe and her colonies.

So this AAR presupposes that the pirates got themselves a secure land base (in this case, Madagascar, which was riddled with pirate hideouts historically) and decided to go the whole hog. Bringing the message of equality and brotherhood to the world. By any means necessary.

Aar.

Wow! I am enthralled by this, Prufrock... :) I saw you posting in the Scenario Editing Forum, so I suspected as much. ;)

Would it be unfair to add such a leader as Drake as a pirate? :)

I suppose your manpower base will be rather low?

Add Chair-Eddin - A great pirate, I think he was a berber (Algiers) and he got captured by the Ottomans and became one of the best admirals of the Ottoman navy. Though, we all know what the Turk-navy was like :rolleyes:. But seriously, add him as he was one of the most (in)famous pirates in the mediterranean sea, of all times.

Are you going to give yourself cb's on tripoli? It would make sense. Also, what happens when privateers are placed by others?

You'll get admirals, but what about generals, conquistadors, etc?

Pirates have been known to do battle on land as well as at sea. Coastal cities and islands have sometimees been plundered by pirate armies. Their expertise is at the sea... but they can do land if the loot is good enough. :D

Norgesvenn- Manpower is abysmal. My advice to you- never try to start a world anarchist revolution from a base on Madagascar.

In reply to various questions- As to Drake, Chair-Eddin, commissioned privateers and such- DOGS! SCUM! HIRELINGS! I'LL HAVE NO PART OF ANY LANDLUBBING MONEYGRUBBERS WHO FAWN AND GROVEL FOR THE ATTENTION OF KINGS AND PRIESTS! AAR! DOWN WITH THE KINGS! DOWN WITH DRAKE AND ALL THE WORTHLESS SCUM OF HIRED KILLERS! WE'LL FIGHT THE WORLD AND LIVE FREE OR DIE!

YAAAAAARRRRRRRR!!!

USA Patriot- Just season your speech with the occasional "Aar" and you will be accepted and welcomed in the Free Republic of Libertatia.

CK- Pirate attacks on land are highly overrated. I mean, I could burn down half of Mexico too, but that's because there aren't any fortresses there. I imagine I'll get the occasional conquistador, and that'll be spiffy. But by and large, the pirates will live or die based on the morale of their highly motivated and fearless crews, and not on the talents of one man or woman.

I played the Pirates once, and I put their base in Bermuda. It wasn't easy, as the money from Bermuda alone is not enough to do anything...

Madagascar I reckon, brings more money. Other good Pirate hangouts would be the various Caribbean provinces, Indonesia, and Taiwan.