• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sans-Souci

Sergeant
3 Badges
Jun 16, 2011
www.demi-brigade.org
  • Rome Gold
  • 500k Club
  • Pride of Nations
1st of June, 448 years after the foundation of a legendary city of iron men far far in the south. I don't know when and how we ended up here in our beautiful Germanic forests to use this city's calendar.

Anyway, here I am, the newly appointed counsellor of Catualda, descendant of the great Marbod, chief of the Cherusci.

Catualda has just been acclaimed as leader of the Cherusci confederation. He is ugly, and a vengeful maniac, but he likes to work hard and is well respected as a great military commander. His first act as the new leader was to sacrifice to the gods, and obviously, they do favour him:

448-06-01 - Favours of the Gods.jpg

The nobility of our confederation currently comes from six different families, five of them are important clans (including Catualda's own Marbodid clan). All noblemen are loyal, which is a good basis to work together cordially and effcicienty in order to gain predominance over the surrounding tribes.

448-06-01 - Nobility A.jpg
448-06-01 - Nobility B.jpg

We have excellent relations with all our neighbours, but we want to expand, thus earlier or later war will be inevitable. So we will recruit another body guard of heavy infantry. Looking at the current aims and wishes of our nobility, it seems we should ally with the Sicambri (Ampsivari), Chatti and Semnoni, and declare war on the Treveri. We will send three charismatic clan leaders out to fix the alliances.

Two noblemen want to enter Catualda's body guard - so be it.

A priest tells us it is not auspicious to change the assignments of state offices before 1st of August. Be this true or not, our people believe in it, so we will wait these two months before we think of how to render our administration more efficient.

However, our most important task is to find some more sources of food. Due to a bad harvest last year, our people are currently starving. Luckily, our neighbours the Ampsivari have some surplus, so we will send an envoy to settle a trade agreement.

448-06-01 - Trade.jpg

So these are our projects. Let's see whether and how they can be realised.

Tough luck. Our clan leaders explain that their obligations to the people of their clans do not allow them to go abroad as envoys.

And a priest points out that it is considered inauspicious to make more than one diplomatic offer at one time. So no alliance with the Sicambri (Ampsivari) for now, just the trade for grain.

2nd July 448. A new situation. The Treveri have declared war on the Sicambri (Ampsivari). This could be a good occasion to ally with the latter and get the casus belli against the Treveri.

However, our people believe we should ally with the Treveri, within the next 15 years. The clan chiefs cannot persuade them that this is not in our best interest.

448-07-02 - Mission.jpg

Still, 15 years are a long time. And our great chief Catualda is in favour of the Sicambri alliance, as well as to noblemen of the Geroldi clan. So first, we will ally with the Sicambri. Let's see what will happen.

Damn, it seems having an alliance with the Sicambri who are at war with the Treveri, doesn't give automatically a casus belli against the Treveri.

no casus belli.jpg

While waiting for the casus belli to appear, we have just been informed after a month that we failed our alliance with the Sicambri.

No autosave, just the save of the first day. I think I will start a new game. Sorry that I couldn't unite the Germanic tribes.

So here a new game, within 20 years all the tribes of Germanic religion have been united. For colonising the barbarian regions, we still lack the civilisation level.

Zwischenablage02.jpg

Our main problem is stabilty, it costs 90 gold now to incrase it by one level - about four years' income. So we can only hope some tribe declares war on another (we guarantee everybody's independence), to give us a casus belli.

And maybe we should have paid some more attention to the internal politics of our confederation. Several people think they could do better than our ruler, and in the meantime, some of them even bluntly refuse to give up their offices:

Zwischenablage04.jpg

subbed

This is the wrong area for AAR's. @Mr. Capiatlist Could you please move this to AARland?

After a very long pause, I started a new game as Cheruscii, and now, in 511 AVC, I could finally declare a Federal Monarchy ! It was only possible through an event which included the choice to have my leader become "selfish" and a triumph which raised his popularity.

Cherusker 511.jpg

As a start, the game as a tribe or Tribal Confederation is quite simple - once you have made your inevitable mistakes and learned from them. I hope the monarchy mechanisms, and the fact that I am big now, but also close to equally big factions such as Rome, Carthage and the Boii, will bring some more challenges.

Starting in a corner of the known world makes it easy to deal with the neighbours and devour them one by one. Being close to barbarian regions had the disadvantage that often a horde overrun and plundered one of my provinces, reducing its civilisation level, before my "police army" in the area, which also had the task to put down rebellions, could arrive. On the other hand, hunting down the barbarians and elimioating them, sometimes brought a huge sum of money, of which I was quite in need in the first couples of years.

I decided to expand a lot, declaring a new war every time I could rise my stability to -2 again. So the -2 penalty for declaring war was reduced to -1, as the overall stabilty is capped at -3. As a result, at the moment I earn 17 bucks per month and hardly know what to do with all the money. The disadvantage of all the conquests was that the freemen in the conquered provinces disappeared, which severly hampered my research. I am at level 3 now (there are only four other nations still at this level), the highest levels currently achieved by some nations are up to levels 9 aand 10. But worldwide I am at the fifth rank in research production, so I believe I will slowly keep up with the others.

Stats 511.jpg

My yellow Empire in 554 AUC:

Zwischenablage01.jpg

The problem I encounter is that, compared to my only two remaining neighbours: Carthago and Roma, I am still very far back in technology levels. Thus their troops are much more efficent than mine, which results in incredibly high losses for me.