• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(213413)

Recruit
1 Badges
Jun 30, 2010
  • Pillars of Eternity
Redaln of Veré, a Warband AAR

Hi! Inspired to start writing again by this AAR, I'm well... going to start writing my own AAR. Be warned, if this AAR starts getting good, and I don't update it, it won't be a surprise, for I am the laziest piece of shit on the planet! Well sit back, and enjoy! (Plus, since I'm so lazy, I'l robably forget to update here every so often.)

Chapter Listing
Introduction
Redaln of Veré
Chapter 1: A Man in Danger
Chapter 2: A Kidnapped Girl

Game Settings
Damage to Player: Normal
Damage to Friends: Normal
Combat AI: Good
Campaign AI: Good
Combat Speed: Normal
Battle Size: 150

Save setting is realistic, so no quitting without saving.

Mods
Diplomacy - Gives a variety of useful new diplomatic options for your kingdom

Summary (Read at your own risk)

Redaln of Veré was born in the Lands of Veré, which is now the area where the Sarrinads and Rhodoks meet. He grew up with his relatives in Ayn Assuadi, for his parents were both traveling nomads, and did not want to take their young son with them. Eventually, he was old enough to join them, and he grew to be an impressive tracker, as well as learning a thing or two about combat. As he matured, he learned more of the political world, and found the King's Rabble stupid and useless. He became sure that anyone could be a better king, and with that mind-set, he decided, he would rule over Calradia. So with what little he had, he head off to the Sarrinad Town of Shariz to start his adventure.

When Redaln reached there, he spent the night at the local tavern. In the morning, he heard noises outside, and decided to check it out. When he got out there, he saw a bandit attacking a Merchant. After he helped the Merchant, the Merchant explained how his brother was captured and asked Redaln to rescue him. Redaln gladly accepted and gathered some men, and fought the bandits to get the Merchant's Brother back. Upon Redaln's return, the Merchant paid him and explained to him that the Captain of the Garrison in Shariz was corrupt, and was allowing bandits to come into the city, so long as he got part of their ill gotten goods. Redaln helped lead a uprising and captured the Garrision guard. Once the Captain was captured, the Merchant brought the information forward to Sultan Hakim, who promptly expelled the Merchant from the Kingdom. The Merchant wished Redaln good luck there in Calradia and left. Redaln, anger and with even more grounds to be angry at the kings of the land, rode back to the town, to talk with the Guild Master of Shiraz.

Redaln spoke with the Guild Master of Shiraz, who told him of bandits who had kidnapped his friend's daughter. Knowing that Redaln was trustworthy, he asked him to deliver the ransom money and bringing the girl home safely. Redaln gladly accepted the task and quickly gathered, and trained new men. While training his men, he ended up going back to his home village of Ayn Assuadi. He learned that a girl he once knew, Zandine, was a daughter to a noble, and Emir Dhashwal was her brother. Redaln, moving away from the village, met up with Dhashwal unexpectedly. Dhashwal, who seemed to be in a hurry to get away from Redaln, avoided trying to talk about Zandine, and denied having a sister. He quickly left, leaving Redaln with many questions. Redaln promptly returned to training his men, and then, learned of another training field by Dirigsene, where the bandits where waiting for the ransom. Knowing it would cut some travel time, Redaln head off to Velunca, a town nearby Dirigsene, planning on buying some provisions there and then going to the training field. Maybe even assessing the bandits strength before confronting them.

As Redaln made his way to Velunca, his troops were growing tired, and as was he. So, Redaln had his men rest at Grunwalder Castle, where he unexpectedly, meet Count Gerluch. He seemed to be a nice man, but didn't like commoners or peasants. Redaln wondered if he would grow to be his friend, or foe. Redaln by noon, reach Velunca, a town of great trade, and entered the tavern, where he reluctantly sold a slave, and recruited a wronged doctor by the name of Jeremus. Together, they set off again to Dirigsene. When they reached there, Redaln realized a crushing truth, no matter how much he trained his men, there were simply too many bandits to defeat for his men to defeat. So in defeat, Redaln went and paid the ransom. Taking the girl, Redaln and company head off to Shiraz as fast as they could go, Redaln eager to finish his task soon, least he earn a name of distrust in Shiraz.

Other Things
Album with all the screenshots
Read at Taleworlds

Last edited:
Intoduction

Redaln of Veré was born in the Lands of Veré. (Which is now the area where the Sarrinads and the Rhodoks meet) His parents were both nomads, traveling throughout the lands, very rarely visiting their son who was growing up with his relatives in Modern Calradia Ayn Assuadi. Once Redaln was five, he was taken by his parents and taught the ways of a nomad. Even at this young age, he could ride a horse at a pace that would shame many adult riders, besides that of the Khanates.

By the age of fifteen, Redaln had grown so attached to the roads and open space, that he continued to travel them, even after the terrible event of having bandits kill both his parents. Now, he had learned how to track his food and hunt it. He knew all the pathways of Calradia by mind and he grew to be an exceptional mounted crossbowman. He slowly started to mature, and grow into society, learning about politics, trade, and war.

At age 20, Redaln had grown tired of hearing the crap of the Kings. So many had died from these wars, that whole villages were slowly abandoned from lack of people to live there. Bandits, deserters, and enemies from afar were attacking Calradia now that it was becoming weak. Redaln grew fairly certain, that he himself could rule over these lands better. The Kings all had forgotten about how to rule the land, and instead, focused on fighting, while they should be upholding laws and justice. Redaln knew that he could take over the lands if he could amass an army, and that's just what he set out to do. With his horse, his weapons, and his remaining denars, he rode out with a caravan to Shiraz, with the intention to free it's inhabitants from it's cruel overseers once and for all.

Pictures (Like this because I'm failing to make an image... :( )
Character Stats
Inventory

Last edited:
Chapter One: A Man in Danger

May 23, 1257

Redaln liked waking up in a room. Even though he had grown accustomed to the outdoors, the stone walls gave him a sense of comfort and protection. He was about to wake up when suddenly, he heard a noise outside. The noise of fighting. Redaln sleepily, but quickly, strapped on his crossbow and with his sword and shield at hand, rushed outside. In the alleyway, he heard another sound of an arrow. He slowly made his way over, seeing a Bandit, bow notched, attacking a merchant. Shield in front of him, Redaln approached the Bandit, ready for combat.

292r4hi.jpg

Redaln looked down at the bandit foe, judging on his movements, of how experienced he was in battle.

He quickly slashed his opponent across the chest, making the bandit stagger backwards. The bandit then smashed his mace across Redaln's face twice, making Redaln's vision blurr. Redaln had underestimated his opponent, but he wouldn't lose to the likes of him. Redaln thrusted his sword in the bandits face and kicked him into the dirt. With his vision fading, Redaln barely heard the man running up to him and asking him questions. His last thought was, "I screwed up."

Redaln awoke in a small room and was momentarily lost. He had forgotten where he was, and what he was doing there. Slowly, the fight came back in memory and Redaln slowly got out of bed. His face hurt, and his legs were sore, but he'd live. Redaln then looked around at the room. It was fairly small with a basket of red and green apples in one corner. The wall on the right side of the bed had a wooden self with several objects Redaln couldn't make-out that were placed on it. The brightest, and probably most expensive thing in the room was the fine bright red woven tapestry on the floor. Even in the dim light, it's beauty was one to behold. Now Redaln had to figure out one thing. Where was he?

2mmh65x.jpg

The Merchant's Room that Redaln awoke in.

After awhile, Redaln felt confident enough to leave his room. He realized that if the man/woman who brought him here meant him harm, they probably wouldn't have left him with his weapons, and wouldn't have let him rest. He stepped out of the room and entered a medium sized room, with a table, and a lot of furs to a wall. As he looked around he saw a man with a brown shirt who looked oddly familiar. As Redaln pondered upon it, the man looked up from his drink and smiled, "Ah! I see you've woken up. I hope you've slept well? Come, come! Have some bread."

Redaln, reluctantly, went down and sat at the table, eating some of the bread given to him. He realized he was hungry and greedily finished his half loaf and drank his water. After he finished he asked, "Where am I?"

The Merchant stood up and walked toward the window, looking out of it, he turned and said, "Your at my home. After you were knocked unconscious by that bandit that you saved me from, I didn't know where else to take you. I can hardly drag a unconscious man into a tavern and not suspect to be asked questions now can I?"

Redaln now realized that was the man that he had saved. Although he wasn't expecting anything from that man, he ended up getting saved by him, "Well, I thank you for your generosity, but I must get going, I have a lot planned for today." Which was a lie, Redaln had no idea what to do. He had left his money in the tavern, a very unsafe place to keep your denar around. So at the moment, he had nothing.

The Merchant quickly blocked Redaln's way, "No! You can't leave! Not until you hear what's going on around here!"

Redaln stopped at that. 'What was going on here?' Redaln thought carefully, 'So, I was right about there being laws broken here. I have to save the town...' Redaln then asked, "What do you mean my good man?"

The Merchant's features softened and he replied, "You see, we've been having a bandit problem lately. The bandits, who once kept their distance and rarely attacked caravans, are now bolder and even dare to enter the town. And recently... recently they have captured my younger brother. I don't know what he was thinking, going out in the dark, especially with the bandits going in town at night. Either way, you, the way you fought that bandit, I knew you could save my brother. So I have an offer. You help rescue my brother, and I'll give you some silver for your pouch."

Redaln thought over the offer. Any money would be good right now, considering he had nothing. Plus, getting rid of a few bandits and rescuing a idiotic brother wouldn't be hard at all. Also, the bonus of getting some men to help him out was perfect for him to start his army. Redaln grabbed the bag and started to count the denars, "So, all I have to do is to find and rescue your brother huh?"

The Merchant smiled, "Yes, that's all you have to do for now. But if your interested later, I have some more plans I'd like to let loose. And some more silver to pay you if you complete it. Oh, and meet me in the tavern when you return!"

Redaln smiled, not really wondering why they would meet at the tavern instead of his house. Then turned to walk out the door, on the way out he said, "I'll be back for the next payment soon. So get your purse ready." With that, he stepped outside and head towards the tavern. Redaln, got his horse, then head off to start recruiting men for his band to hunt down the bandits.

Redaln rode towards several villages, not daring to go near the village of Ayn Assuadi for fear of meeting of relatives, or discovering their fates. Soon, Redaln had three men, and was about to head off to another village, when he was attacked by a group of looters. They wanted his silver, and Redaln, knowing he could probably kill these pathetic excuse for a human beings any time. He then proceeded to rally his men and begin the fight.

jjwi0k.jpg

Redaln, marching with his troops toward victory.

Redaln then marched ahead and began his strategy of killing bandits that almost always works, even with sea raiders. He rode close to his opponents and shot his crossbow, then fell back, reloaded, and repeated. Redaln had taken out whole bands of sea raiders before like that, and he wasn't about to lose against plain looters. Soon, the looters numbers dwindled, and Redaln's troops came in to finish them off. Just as Redaln started to relax, it happened, a flying rock knocked Redaln right in the temple, and knocked him unconscious. The looters, now overwhelming his troops, scared them into making them only able to defend themselves. Fearing for his and his remaining mens' lives, he ordered one of them to stay behind to cover their retreat, while the others escaped. Redaln's troops were not happy at all about this decision, and neither was Redaln, but he had little choice in the matter. It was either live to fight another day, or die.

So, with his remaining troops, he quickly marched away from the looters and returned to recruiting more men. By a few hours before Dusk settled in, Redaln was approached by some of his men. Two of them, had found better gear in the last village they had gone to. They asked to be promoted, and Redaln happily accepted. His army was finally starting to grow. As his men setup camp, Redaln felt a pain in his heart. He couldn't bear to leave that man with those looters, god knows what would happened to him. So Redaln, torn between morale, and saving the life of a loyal troop. Made a decision. He approached his men by the fire and said, "Earlier today, we lost a good man against a bandit attack." Redaln saw a few heads look down, the two friends of the man who was captured. Redaln then continued, "Those of you who wish to follow me and help save our friend, come now! And we shall show those bandits, that they can't just take whatever they want when they want it!"

The two men looked at each other, and nodded. They stood up, grabbing their gear and said, "Fit and Ready for battle sir!" Redaln smiled, it was working, the men were starting to listen to him. The rest of the men then followed, a fire burning in their eyes. As villagers, their lives had always been run by the bandits, some pay back would feel good. Even Redaln, who was living in a village only to the age of five, had a mutual hatred of bandits. After all, it's their fault that his parents were killed.

Redaln and his men searched for hours, looking for the looters, starting to lose hope. Eventually, the troops were starting to lose morale, and Redaln was thinking of resting for the night and continuing in the morning. But then, one of the men saw something in the distance, and sure enough, it was the looters. With the element of surprise on their side, Redaln and his men moved together, and attacked the off-guard looters, utterly crushing them one by one. They un-did the bonds of the man, who never thought that they would come back for him. With a smile on his face, Redaln and his men made camp, and fell asleep under the starry skies.

May 24, 1257

Redaln and his troops awoke in the early morning. As they began to pack-up camp, they saw a group of fourteen looters coming. Redaln and his troops braced themselves for battle, but the looters seemed to ignore them and walk away. Redaln was happy about this. This meant the bandits had heard of his name and feared it. That was a start to becoming well-renowned. The journey to Shariz would take a few hours, so Redaln decided to kill some time by talking to the lord of Weyyah Castle, Emir Dhashwhal. However, when Redaln and his men reached the castle at the early morning, they said the lord was out for patrol. Redaln knew the Merchant would grow impatient, so he decided to go and talk to him instead.

Redaln and his men spent the next few hours marching for Shariz. In that time, Redaln talked with his small band of men, and explained what their task was to them. His troops were now united for the purpose of exterminating bandits, something they could all agree on. Redaln wondered how easy it would be to get them to help siege to castles in the future. He immediately discarded the thoughts and continued with his men on to Shariz, where on the way they met Emir Dhashwhal. Emir Dhashwhal seemed like a good man. When he saw Redaln and spoke with him, he didn't remark how he was a low born and how a noble like him shouldn't talk with the likes of him. Instead, he spoke of how the affairs of the land were going, what his men were doing, and of course, Redaln asked him the location of the Sultan Hakim, who surprisingly, wasn't hiding in his Town as usual, but was moving from Caraf Castle to Shariz. Redaln would speak with the Sultan soon enough, but for now, Redaln decided it'd be best if he saw the Merchant again.

Redaln saw the Merchant in the corner of the tavern, looking slightly concerned. Redaln walked up to him, "I have my men, now what is it that you want me to do Merchant?"

The Merchant seemed relieved at the sight of Redaln, "I have a feeling that some bandits who was been walking around the outskirts of town lately, are a part of the group that kidnapped my brother, I want you to confront them for the information of their hideout. Use necessary force to get the information out of them if you know what I mean. Then head off to the hideout and when the time is right, strike the camp and rescue my brother. Any ill gotten goods that they have there will be yours of course."

Redaln nodded, "So, I find these bandits, force them to give me the location of their hideout, and then rescue your brother. Got it." Redaln turned to leave but then the Merchant stopped him, "Wait, you'll need this, and buy a Pelt Coat at the market." He handed Redaln a straw hat.

Redaln looked at the straw hat, "What am I to do with this?"

The Merchant looked around to make sure no one in the tavern was paying close attention to them then leaned closer, "It's your disguise so that the guards won't recognize you. We've stumbled on to a bigger case than we first thought. I'll explain that latter. But if you value your life, you'll wear that disguise. Oh, and hide your weapons too. Please make haste, time is against us here!"

Redaln uncertainly, wore the straw hat, then head off to the market to buy a Pelt Coat. After some searching he found one, except, "WHAT?! FIFTY DENARS FOR THIS!"

The Armorer looked unchanged, "Yes, fifty denars, now pay it or leave."

Redaln was about to storm off when he remembered what the Merchant said, 'If you value your life, you'll wear that disguise.' Redaln thought about it then took off his tabard and wore the pelt coat, giving the Armorer the tabard. The Armorer looked at the Tabard for awhile then said, "This and eleven denar."

Redaln grumpily reached into his pouch and took out eleven denar, then left the Armorer, poorer and itchy than when he had come to him.

2aj6efo.jpg

Redaln and the Merchant arguing about the price of the Pelt Coat.

Redaln then continued to walk out of the town and find the bandits. Plus the quicker he was out of here, the faster he could put his normal cloths back on. He made his way through the street, which was not all full as he thought it would be because it wa raining. But here in Shariz, wouldn't that make people want to come outside? Redaln then approached the main gate, and put his head down and pased by the guards, one of them stopped him, "Halt! What business do you have?"

Redaln didn't expect to be stopped so he quickly made up a lie, "I'm from the village of Ayn Assuadi, I came to visit some relatives here and now I'm gong back home."

The guard seemed convinced by this lie and let him go. Redaln wondered why they would even be asking him what he was doing anyways. It wasn't like some sort of major crime was happening right now was it? Redaln decided to ask the Merchant what was really going on here in Shariz. Once he found his brother of course.

Redaln regrouped with his men and while putting on his normal cloths, told them what they had to do. Redaln expected to have to search around the town for awhile, but it seemed the bandits had made it easy and were but a mere five minutes away from the town. Redaln gave his men the signal, and they striked.

In a matter of seconds, the entire band of looters was dead, the last man began to beg for his life, "Please spare me! I'll go on a straight path now! Please don't kill me!" The bandit fell to the ground crying.

Redaln looked to is troops, then sighed, "I don't know... but first of all, I may let you go, if you give me the location of your group's hideout."

The bandit looked up, hope in his eyes, "Oh yes sir! The hideout is by the village of Timisal! I'll lead you there if you want!"

Redaln nodded and turned to his men, "Tie his hands and follow him carefully, if he makes any sudden movements then kill him."

His men nodded and tied the bandits hands together. Timisal was quite a ways from here. An attack at night would be a good idea if they reach there by dusk. The bandit moved quickly, eager to get his bonds un-done. The journey to Timisal was quite a way to go. Whoever planned this bandit hideout, made it very well.

do9mz8.jpg

The journey from Shariz(Where my party is) to Timisal

Redaln recalled that Sultan Hakim was heading back to Shariz after some business was done at Caraf Castle, maybe they would cross each other's path? Sure enough, after thirty minutes, the men spotted the banner of the Sultan. Redaln approached the Sultan who had a fairly good conversation with me. Redaln was starting to think he was a good man until Redaln realized that he is one of the idiots who continue the needless warfare, and no matter how kind he seems, he is truly a idiot and cruel man. Redaln quickly made my goodbyes and they continued on their way to the hideout. They saw the hideout by dusk, and attacked as soon as all the light come out of the sky.

Redaln and his men stealthily made their way into the looters camp and attacked the men that started to wake up. Slowly, the camp was alive with combat, the looters, out-skilled, outnumbered and outmatched quickly died, only managing to kill one of Redaln's men, the man that they had rescued earlier at that. His friends looked really pissed off when that happened (of course, their best friend that they had just saved, had died before their eyes) and went berserk. The poor looter that killed the man, was brutally butchered to death by spear prodding.

After all the fighting ceased, the band of looters, was destroyed. Most of them were dead, some escaped into the night. Whatever happened to them Redaln didn't know and didn't care. Right now, he was on a mission, to find the Merchant's brother and find out what exactly was happening in Shariz. Redaln and his men looked all over the camp, and eventually, found the man cowering under the remains of the tent. Redaln went to him, "Calm yourself, your brother has sent us here to rescue you." Redaln extended his hand to him. The man, slowly, raised his hand and allowed Redaln to pull him up.

He then said, "Thank you good sir! Those bandits were going to do horrible things to me if my brother wouldn't pay the random, and knowing that cheapskate, he'd rather pay his soul to the devil than part with his beloved money."

Redaln nodded and said, "Well, you'd better head home now, we have some business here in Timisal, so we'll be right behind you. Stay on the roads, and for god's sake be-careful."

The man nodded and wordlessly, left the remains of the looter's hideout. Redlan turned to one of his men, "Gather the troops, we march to Timisal, we'll camp along the outskirts of the village." The solider nodded and head off to gather everyone else. Redaln looked at the remains of the camp one last time and went to set-up camp with the rest of his troops. They needed rest after these last two days. Getting into his tent, Redaln laid down, wondering what the Merchant would want him to do now.

May 25, 1257

At the crack of dawn Redaln had his troops begin marching again. Whatever the Merchant wanted him to do, Redaln wanted to get it over with as soon as possible. He rode happily onward to Chariz, with no sign of any bandits anywhere. It seems that Shariz had finally gotten around to sending out their patrols. Maybe the Merchant had something to do with this?

Redaln then head into the tavern where the Merchant was sitting down in deep thought. Redaln walked up the the Merchant, "So, what's the plan."

The Merchant looked up and smiled, "Ah Redaln! Thanks to you my brother is back to safety. I should send him to a university outside of Calradia so that I won't be blamed for any trouble he causes... either way here is your pay, I thank you once again for saving my brother!" The Merchant stood to leave.

Redaln took the bag of two hundred denars then looked at the Merchant again, "No wait, I need to know more about what is going on around here!"

The Merchant had the look that he had when he first looked at Redaln, "Yes! I knew you'd be interested! Well, if we succeed, there will be even more denar in it for you!"

Redaln looked at the Merchant, "So what did you have in mind?"

The Merchant looked around then whispered to Redaln, "Well, while you were out hunting the bandits, I was busy doing my research on who they worked for. It seems that the Captain of the Town Garrison himself was supporting these bandits and letting them run wild in the city! So long as he gets his fair share of their ill gotten gains."

Redaln was shocked, "The Captain of the Garrison! Why would he do such a thing?"

The Merchant sighed, "Well, a few months ago, the Captain sent off a caravan to sell goods. He loaded it with tons of lavish riches and fine wine, tapestry and anything else you would think would be in a caravan. As a newcomer to the trading world, he hadn't anticipated the risk of the enterprise. The caravan was looted and he lost everything. In an attempt to re-make his money, he turned to villainy. So as long as those bandits do what he commands, he doesn't mind a thing that they do."

Redaln shook his head, "That fool! So, the plan is we capture him and send him to the Sultan to make him confess his deeds right?"

The Merchant shook his head, "No, at that point, it would be his word over mine. I need some evidence against him... so we need to capture some of his remaining bandits. Luckily, I have some help from some townsfolk, they'll help us capture the bandits and the Captain."

Redaln cracked his knuckles, "So, when do we start?"

The Merchant smiled evilly again, "How about right now?"

Redaln and the rest of the plotters all were on the streets by noon, waiting for the bandits to come out on their usual timings. The way the plotters moved, walked, and talked though, gave them away. Redaln just hoped the bandits hadn't noticed. However, what none of them noticed was that the bandits were slowly surronding them, and then, it happened, the bandits striked.

2cde3kn.jpg

Redaln, surviving the initial bandit strike, but gets attacked by the men on the stairs and loses.

Everything around Redaln was chaos, bandits killed by townsfolk, townsfolk killed by bandits. Eventually, when the dust cleared, a bandit faced Redaln. As Redaln quickly reloaded his crossbow, a man came from behind him and bashed him in the head, making him go unconscious.

Redaln awoke in the Merchant's room again, sore all over and dazed. At first, he was lost, not knowing where he was, but slowly, he remembered the room. He got up slowly, his wounds all screamed with pain as he moved. He clenched his teeth as he walked out of the room, and then he limped to the Merchant, "What happened?" Redaln managed to say even with the pain he had. He sat down in a chair and listened to the Merchant.

"Well, for starters, you took quite a blow to the head. But as for the mission, it was a complete success! We have the Captain in the back room, tied up and with a knife to his neck, along with some of the men who helped us keeping an eye on him. We also managed to capture a few of the bandits alive. They'll come clean once their faced with death charges. Maybe now everything can go back to normal. However, if you see my head on a spike outside of town... stay hidden for awhile."

Redaln nodded, "Well, if all goes well I'll see you in the tavern again?"

The Merchant sighed, "Yes... if all goes well..."

After a few hours, the Merchant, wearily entered the tavern, Redaln immediately asked, "Well, what happened?"

The Merchant looked down, "I've lost everything..."

Redaln jumped, "WHAT?! That's hardly fair!"

The Merchant looked up, "Fair?! This is Calradia! Of course it isn't fair! The king's only care for one thing, themselves. He was grateful for me eliminating an untrustworthy Captain, but keeping me around would just remind him of his mistake. The only good thing out of this is that you and I are still alive. I recommend that you don't go talking to the Sultan about this though, unless of course, you think your head would look good on a spike."

Redaln sighed, "Well... what are you going to do now?"

The Merchant thought about it for awhile then said, "I don't know, but probably somewhere away from Calradia. You on the other hand, still have a change around here. I wish you luck my friend, perhaps we'll meet again one day, or maybe not..." With that, the Merchant left, without even telling Redaln his name.

Redaln went outside the town and looked over it with a distant hill. The unfairness of the king appalled him. It gave him even more base to fight against the king on. He looked out to the sky then rode back to the town, ready to face anything.

AN: Well, I hope you enjoyed the story! Please comment on how I could improve or add something to make the reading more enjoyable/easier to read etc. Thank you for reading! :D

There's a bunch of images I also don't put up here because I can't find a purpose for them. (Also, because I can't find a spoiler way like at the taleworlds forum) I could put them in a Misc. section but then I decided otherwise. SO if you want to see other pics, here's the link to the album I upload all these images to: link.

And if you want to see some of the pictures/videos, go to the taleworlds forum and look at the posts there.

Gameplay Notes
mrxs7k.jpg

Hurray! I'm only twelve xp away from leveling up! :D

21aaaur.jpg

My current inventory.

2rxxlkn.jpg

My Current Party.

286vm6x.jpg

Renown, Controversy, Family etc.

Chapter 2: A Kidnapped Girl

May 25, 1257

Redaln walked through the town gate, under the eyes of the guards, who seemed to be finding everyone suspicious today. And why wouldn't they? Their Captain had just been found to being a bandit "lord", and they didn't even notice. Of course, word spreads fast among the city and almost everyone knew that Redaln had saved the town from the bandits. Redaln held this in his mind, winning the hearts of the people would be more important than winning the hearts of the lords. Redaln moved to the Guild Master of Shiraz, who was at his usual position, standing and watching everyone do their work. Redaln knew this man was of power and had the voice of the people with him too. Becoming friends with the Guild Master would be a great standing for Redaln. Redaln walked up to the Guild Master, who when he saw Redaln, grew a smile on his face, "AH Redaln! Harris told me you'd come here!"

f4jyhc.jpg

Redaln meets with the Guild Master who already seems to know him.

Redaln raised a brow, his name had already gone to the Guild Master, which was expected, but who was Harris? "I beg my pardon but who is Harris?"

The Guild Master slapped his head, "Oops! I wasn't suppose to say his name to you, the Merchant wanted to keep it secret from you. If you make friends with him, it'd be harder for him to go."

Redaln nodded. He liked The Merchant, always held his word about giving him the denar, and was a honest, hard-working trader too. "Harris huh? Well, did you have some sort of task for me? People usually do when they expect me."

And sure enough, "Yes Redaln, you see, a friend of mine has had his Daughter kidnapped by bandits! They hold her by Dirigsene and will kill the sweet girl if he doesn't pay the ransom! My friend has the money but the bandits are too far away for him to travel. At this point, the only person I can trust to deliver the denar is you. You will do it right?"

Redaln thought about it, paying a ransom would be much simpler than fighting the bandits. But just paying the ransom to them felt wrong. Redaln knew there had to be another way, "Alright I'll do it. How long do I have to pay the ransom off?"

The Guild Master took out some papers and a bag of denar, "Well, here is the location of their hideout, and you have fifteen days to reach there and pay the ransom."

Redaln nodded and took the papers and the ransom, "Anything else I need to know?"

The Guild Master shook his head, "Only that if you fail this we'll hate you forever, and never allow you into this city ever again."

Redaln smiled, "Good to know, I'll see you in a couple of days then. Good day."

The Guild Master replied, "Good day to you Redaln!"

When Redaln walked out of town, he saw a group of twelve looters, all poorly equipped as they usually were. Feeling confident in him and his troops abilities, he rode out to confront them. He knew that he could win the battle, but then he realized something terrible too late, he was weak from the other battles.

29ut5hy.jpg

Redaln marching out with his men, realizing too late how weak he was.

The battle began in their favor, Redaln was shooting his crossbow from a safe distance and his troops were pushing the enemy back. But slowly, their pure strength of numbers pushed Redaln's men back, butchering them, until only two were left alive, the rest were dead. Redaln then went into a furry, ordering his men back, he himself took his crossbow and slowly picked off the remaining bandits. They had won the battle, but for Redaln, it was a loss of Morale for his men. only the two veterans of the group lived. One of them gained enough confidence in himself, that he demanded a raise, officially declaring himself a veteran. The other, less cocky, kept his old rank, and went to bed to rest. Redaln had lost his entire army that day, however, with the purse of one hundred and ten denars Redaln had found, he could recruit more men again, and practice his tatics. Besides, he had fifteen days to deliver his ransom, plenty of time to win back his men, and this time, train them.

Redaln head off to the tavern of Shariz, where he was becoming a frequent visitor, spent the night, and one of his denar there. While the night went on, his two men awoke him in the middle of the night, "Sir, it's been awhile since we've started our journey together and we'd like our first payment."

Redaln, sleepy but aware said, "Well... alright." Redaln pulled out his bag of denar and gave his men their payment, then said, "Now go to bed, I'm too sleepy for any formalities."

His men nodded and went off to their respective beds. Redaln latter realized that it hadn't been a week yet, but he didn't mind, so long as they didn't dessert him, it'd be fine.

2ibybcw.jpg

The party payments for the week. Even though it hasn't been a week.

May 26, 1257

Redaln awoke in the tavern before his men, so he decided to pay another visit to the Armorer to sell his junk. After a bit of arguing, he finally sold it for seventy denars. He returned to the tavern and awoke his men, they had a long day of recruiting ahead of them. For their first stop, Redaln decided to head off to the village of Hawaha, but found it under a raid. Redaln had an urge to help the villagers, but what could he do? Him and two men could do nothing to a vaegir raiding party. Luckily for the village, Lord Dhashwal was around, and fought the Vaegir Lord. Redaln didn't know the Vaegir Lord's name, but he wished Dhashwal luck in crushing him nonetheless.

Redaln spent the next few hours visiting villages, he even visited Ayn Assuadi, due to the lack of volunteers in other villages in the area. No one in Ayn Assuadi wanted to join him, but, some remembered Redaln. The Village Elder stopped him before he left, "Redaln? Is that you boy?"

Redaln stopped, thinking of wither or not he would lie to him. He then decided to say the truth, "Aye, it's me, probably not as you'd remember me though. I've changed in the time I've been gone Elder."

The Elder nodded sadly, "You were such a nice boy when you were younger. Do you remember the girl Zandina? Did you ever learn who her father and brother were in the time you were here?"

Redaln thought about it. Zandina was one of Redaln's closest friends when he lived here, however, he didn't remember her until the elder brought her up, "No, I didn't who are they?"

The Elder looked at him, "Well, they are none other than Emir Dhashwal, and Emir Nuam. Dhashwal told us that you may be showing up around here soon. He was such a good child. And still visits us even though he technically doesn't have anything to do with this village anymore."

Redaln's head spun, "Wait, why were they growing up here then?"

The Elder sighed, "When Nuam was a boy, he always wanted to be a noble. So, taking the money he had, he worked hard to gain renown, so much so, that eventually, he became a noble. Once he did, he changed, he cut off his old bonds with this village, especially with his old friends, saying all he needed to be friend now were with the nobles of the land. But, when he had his children, he was aware that his enemies in the court might they to use them to get to him. So, he secretly sent his children to his relatives here, to raise and protect them, and once he was certain his enemies wouldn't be a problem, he got his children back. Dhashwal and Zandina still come back to visit here sometimes, but their relatives that raised them live in the cities now."

Redaln began to think, 'So... Zandina is a noble huh...' Redaln then looked to the Elder, "Well, I must be off now, there is a girl that is needs a ransom and I need to deliver it."

The Elder nodded, "Please try to return here sometimes Redaln, we could use a hand around here."

Redaln smiled then continued off to go to. Both he and the Elder knew that he would probably never return to live in the village, it was just wishful thinking. Redaln saw his troops watching him, and sighed. They would have some questions for him now, and he still had a lot of ground to cover. Despite the fact that they watched him though, they didn't seem to ask him questions. Maybe they heard enough to know that he was born there? No matter what they heard though, him and his men's journey to the next village, the village of Shiba Zumr, was undisturbed. Redaln, from talking with his men, learned that some of them had come from Ayn Assuadi too. They had moved villages though, after a bandit raid came to the village one day. Redaln was angry. The nobles were always treating the villagers like dirt, when they are the ones who do the hard work that give them their lives. Redaln grew even more angry when word came that the village of Hawaha was looted. That also meant Emir Dhashwal had lost his battle. Redaln felt bad for that, Emir Dhashwal was one of the nicer nobles of the land.

Soon, nightfall came, and the village of Shiba Zumr was in sight. Redaln was about to give orders to set up camp, when they spotted bandits on the fading horizon. Redaln ordered his men to get ready for a battle, even though the looters had more numbers, Redaln was ready for battle this time. Ordering his men to stay behind, Redaln went up first, attacking and weakening the looters with his crossbow, then he sent his men to fight. Dismounting, Redaln helped his men cut down their enemies. Soon, all of them were either dead, unconsciousness, or running away. Redaln's men, high with morale, continued to pursue every last bandit. Only one managed to get away.

2coixxf.jpg

The first victory Redaln had with his new troops.

With his troops ready for anything, Redaln set forth toward Shiba Zumr. When they arrived, they arrived with the cheers of the villagers. It seems that those bandits had been terrorizing the village for months, stealing cattle, looting houses. And finally, thanks to them , they will be no more trouble any more. Nine of the men there even wanted to go along with Redaln to help him in his journeys, so long as it was for a good cause. So with his now party of fifteen men, Redaln set off towards Durquba, hoping to meet with a Bard to ask about Zandina, for the Bards of the land are always the first to learn about that kind of thing.

May 27, 1257

By the Early Morning, Redaln was in Durquba and heading towards the Tavern. Although he wasn't heard of yet in these parts, he saw some farmers point to him and whispered among themselves, probably talking about his saving of the Kidnapped Brother or maybe even the saving of Shiba Zumr had reached here by now. Redaln entered the tavern, finding it oddly empty compared to it's afternoon hours. Redaln ordered himself a wine, although he prefered to not drink too heavily, and looked around for the Bard. After a few minutes, one walked into the tavern. Redaln immediately walked up to the Wandering Ashik, "Hello sir."

Ashik looked up, "Oh hello Redaln. So, your interested in the Calradian love game aren't you?"

Redaln raised an eyebrow, "How do you know of me?"

Ashik smiled, "Well, you've grown quite renowned in these parts, if you didn't know already. And most people who start to gain renown, get interested in one of the lord's daughters or sisters. So, what do you need to ask me my friend?"

Redaln thought about it. He knew nothing about the world of love. Although he knew most of it, he could learn, "Well.. how about telling em how I can woe a women?"

So, for the next few hours, the Ashik taught Redaln about the world of Calradian love. He told him that learning poems would help increase his favor with a lady and winning tournaments in her name, would also help. Redaln thought about it for awhile, many others would be fighting over a women's hand in marriage, so he'd have to increase his renown if he wanted to marry someone. Maybe even marry... Then he asked, "Do you have any news on Lady Zandina?"

The Ashik smiled, "Aha! SO that's whom you've taken a fancy to! Well, she is a well brought up women. She always listens to her father, and is kind and polite."

Redaln nodded, that sounded like the girl he used to know. He wondered if she still remembered him? "Well, thank you for your time Ashik, perhaps we'll meet again?"

The Ashik's smile broadened, "Yes, we'll meet again, perhaps when I have songs written about you yes?"

Redaln smiled then head out of the Tavern. He had a long trip to the nearest training field, and he had to get the ransom to the bandits soon. Unless he wanted to have a girl's blood stained on his hands.

Redaln and his men marched in the heat of the desert all day, still far from their goal. Eventually nightfall came, and Redaln's men wanted to rest. Redaln himself wanted to go to sleep, but then, he spotted Emir Dhashwal on the horizon. He approached him to speak with him, "Greeting Emir Dhashwal."

"Ah Redaln! Good to see you..." Dhashwal seemed nervous of meeting Redaln this time.

Redaln then asked, "So, what are you and your men doing?"

Dhashwal replied, "Well, we are currently patrolling our borders with Sultan Hakim. We were too late to save the village of Hawaha though..." He looked down sadly, "As I was saving it, the Rhodok numbers over powered me, until the Sultan and the others came by, however, one of the lords had already raided the village by the time the battle was finished..."

Redaln nodded sadly, "I see... well I have a question for you sir."

Dhashwal immediately straightened up, "Er yes what is it?"

Redaln continued, "How is your sister, Zandine?"

Dhashwal immediately replied, "Sister? What sister! No one in my house is able to be married right now! Now if you'd please excuse me..." Dhashwal quickly left with his troops, leaving Redaln with the feeling that Dhashwal did not want Redaln to meet with his sister, making Redaln want to meet Zandine even more. Redaln then went back to his troops, "The training field isn't too far from here, we'll march there and begin training, when your not training, you can rest."

90sqk1.jpg

Dhashwal lieing to Redaln about not having a sister, even though he clearly does.

His troops nodded sleepily, but listened, and they marched toward the training field. Redaln continued to wonder why Dhashwal didn't want him to meet Zidane.

May 28, 1257

Redaln didn't go to sleep for the past two days. He started to feel tired, but for awhile now, he was just going on pure adrenaline. He started off by training his recruits, one y one, hardening them into soldiers who actually have some fighting experience. Even some of his regulars learned enough to be called veterans. This continued for a few hours, when one of Redaln's men approached him, "Sir, I know of a training field by Dirigsene, it's in the Swadian lands, but considering you don't have a bad reputation with them, it's a good place to train then go straight to the bandits."

Redaln thought about it. Training then going to the bandits was a good idea. Plus it would save them some travel time, "Very well, show me how to get to this training field, we might as well stop off at any nearby towns too, to buy better gear and rest."

The man's face brightened up, "Alright! Let us make haste then!"

Redaln washed himself quickly then mounted up and followed his Veterans (A Sarrinad Skirmisher and Veteran Footman) to the training field in the swadian lands. On their way there, they spotted a bandit party. Quickly saying the signal, Redaln's men got in position. They marched forward as one, with Redaln telling them to hold positions, Redaln rode out and weakened their foes with the crossbow tactic. Soon, the enemies approached his troops, that was when Redaln signaled his troops to attack. A quick and glorious victory quickly ensued, and all the foes were defeated. One of the Bandits seemed to have some how survived, so they took him prisoner. Perhaps he'd be a good slave for a slave trader to buy.

34i0a9z.jpg

Results of the Battle

Redaln's men spotted a Khergit Deserter party as they moved forward. Eager for a chance to attack. Redaln calmed his men, "Khante Horsemen are beyond our abilities right now, I don't want to risk losing a battle right now. Especially with a ransom to pay."

His troops nodded sadly, facing the truth that the Khergit Skirmishers could rip them apart.

They then continued their journey to Velunca, where Redaln hoped to find a slave trader to sell the looter to. As they traveled, the Khergit Skirmishers seemed to run away from them, even though they could clearly beat Redaln's current force. It was good for Redaln though, at least they were too fast for his men to even think about catching. Redaln went ahead of his men, scouting the way to make sure nothing else would thwart their movements. However, the rest of the journey was uneventful, and soon nightfall came. Wanting to spend the night under a roof, Redaln stopped by Grunwalder Castle, to rest himself and his troops. The guards promptly stopped Redaln, "Halt! Who goes there!"

Redaln cleared his throat, "I am Redaln, I come here to find shelter for my men and I to sleep under."

After some chatting with the guard next to him, they opened the gate, "Alright, but it'll cost you."

Redaln nodded, "I think I have enough." Giving the guard four denar. He then laid down on his bed, and closed his eyes, already planning out the next day in his mind.

May 29, 1257

Awakening in the early morning hours, Redaln woke up his men and marched towards Velunca. As he and his men marched, they met Count Gerluch, the Count of Grunwalder Castle. Redaln rode out to speak with him, "Hail Count Gerluch! I am Redaln, at your service."

Gerluch seemed to be in a hurry, "Yes yes, another peasant , hurry for I have no time for chatter. I must quickly return to my Castle and oversee affairs there and I do not want to be late."

Redaln then asked, "So, how is the war with the Sarrinad Sultanes going in your opinion?"

Gerluch sighed, "In my opinion, the war is a waste of time, but King Graveth wants to regain lost territory from the Sarrinads. Territories such as Weyyah Castle."

Redaln nodded, "Well, I bid you fair traveling Count Gerluch."

Gerluch waved his hand impatiently, "Yes yes, I bid you well too Redaln."

Redaln left on a note of confusion. It seemed like Gerluch was a nice man, but he didn't want to speak with the peasants. How would he weigh Gerluch on his actions? Redaln decided not to ponder on that too much and continued with his men towards Velunca. Upon arrival in Velunca, Redaln heard word of bandits infesting the area. He decided to ask the Guild Master about it later. Redaln moved into the tavern, which was bustling with men all enjoying themselves. Redaln then saw in the corner with a sack of denars with him. Redaln went up to him, "Hail Slave Trader."

The man had an evil gleam in his eyes, "So, have you brought any merchandise?"

Redaln was stumped, "Merchandise?" He thought of it for a second then said, "Ah yes! I have some merchandise, would you like to see it."

He nodded, "That I would boy. Take me to him."

Redaln and the slave trader went outside, where he weighed out the man. Redaln felt bad for the looter. Now he would become a person not considered human. Even someone like him deserved some sympathy. After the Slave Trader finished his appraisement he said, "Alright, how about thirty-two denars for him?"

Redaln nodded, "Yes, that seems about right."

The Trader smiled and handed the denar over, then took his new slave over to where ever he took his bought slaves to. Redaln felt bad for doing that. But he had no alternative. So he re-entered the tavern, and saw several men who seemed out of place from the scene. One was a Troubadour, so that was obvious, but another looked like a poor pilgrim and the other a rich man. Redaln decided to start a conversation with both of them. Going to the pilgrim first he sat down beside him, "How do you do man?"

The pilgrim looked up surprised, "Ah hello! Well.. perhaps you can help me good sir? You seem to be a man who knows how to tell lies from the truth."

Redaln looked at the man, "Well, start off with telling me who you are, and then tel me your story, I'll see."

The man looked up happily, "Well, I am the esteemed Doctor, Jeremus. Now, as a doctor, I treat a variety of wounds. Over here, I was asked by a prominent Merchant of this city to help cure his son, for he was in a comma after falling from his balcony. Now, I treated the cranium to reduce the swelling, but the money-loving merchant didn't follow my instructions and didn't buy willow bark to help the swelling stop. Instead of thanking me, he accused me of cursing his son, and is charging me with witchcraft! Me! A doctor of nature! Thankfully, the lord of this town is reluctant to put me in jail, but I would rather move out right now, while I still have a chance."

Redaln thought about it. He didn't seem to be a bad man. Plus his story didn't seem too far fetched, he knew how stingy Merchants could be and how they'd be willing to put the blame on anyone but themselves. Redaln looked to Jeremus and smiled, "Welcome to my Company Jeremus! I'm Redaln, my men are right outside the tavern, go meet up with them."

Jeremus looked happily at Redaln, "Oh thank you! You won't regret this!"

2sb7c42.jpg

Redaln speaking with Jeremus.

'I hope I don't..' Thought Redaln as he smiled at Jeremus as he left. Redaln then went off to the noble looking man, "Hail, mind if I have a drink with you?"

However, as he went to the noble looking one, he was approached by the Troubadour, "Hello Redaln! My brother said you may come here. I have to perfect poem for you! It is clled "Storming the Castle" Zandine will just love it!"

Redaln shocked and confused said, "Will she really?"

The Troubadour nodded, "Aye she will, and for a modest fee of three hundred, I'll teach it to you."

Redaln thought about it then said, "Alright, let's start." For the next few hours, Redaln spent his time learning the poem until he memorized it by heart. He then only had six hundred and seventy-two denars, dangerously close to how much he had to give for the ransom. So instead of talking to that man, Redaln head out for Dirigsene, hoping to judge to bandits skill and to see if he could fight the girl free with his current force.

By the evening, he was hit with dismal, the bandits had a force of twenty-eight men! There was no way he could win the fight. So Redaln decided to give the ransom to them. better the safe way than to lose it all. He approached the bandits, "I have brought your ransom."

The bandit laughed, "Took ya long enough! Alright then, give me the money, and you can have the girl."

Redaln sighed, "Show me the girl first, then I'll let you have the money."

The bandit showed the girl behind her, scared, but fine. Redaln nodded, taking the girl's hand and giving the bandit the money, "I'll be off then bandit."

The bandit laughed again, "A pleasure doing business with you. Perhaps we can do it again sometime!" He then rode off with his friends, towards the village of Dirigsene.

Redaln turned towards the girl, "Don't worry, your father has sent us, your safe now."

The girl brightened up, "Really? Oh thank you! I've missed my family so much these days!"

Redaln nodded, "Now, let's make haste! I'm sure you family has been worried for you too." Withthat, Redaln, the Girl, Jeremus, and the rest of Redaln's men, head off in the sunset, riding fast towards Shariz.

AN: Yeah, if I really wanted to, I could have trained my troops and owned the bandit, but I am in a rush. I have to go to school tomorrow so I had to finish the AAR ASAP. Besides that I was too lazy, training was kind of boring. -.- Well I hoped you liked it and please leave a comment on how you think I could improve on sharing the story. As always, if you want to see additional images, please go to the Taleworlds forum link in the first post. Thanks for reading! :D

Gameplay
30igpb7.jpg

I've gained two levels, nothing else really yet.

2nuuc6u.jpg

Current Gear hasn't changed much, but I wanted to point out that I no longer have my peasant disguise clothes anymore. I sold them with all that looter crap. Got me back a god seven denar. -.-

2w6uwkw.jpg

My current standing. As you can see, despite every peasant in the land knowing me, I'm still not renowned. -.-

2zh2i2q.jpg

My current party. As you can see, Jeremus is a very useful asset to me right now.

imo3g6.jpg

Notes of what has been happening in the realm recently. Many Lords have been captured, most of them were releases, but not all of them. Some villages besides Hawaha were also looted, but Redaln doesn't know them so I didn't really mention them.