• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
America does sound lovely and messy. Good quick political info.

Can I be suspicious of the cameraman as well? ;)

stnylan said:
Can I be suspicious of the cameraman as well? ;)

And Stanley! I think he is a nefarious plotter disguised as a bumbling aristocrat...

Great update, I love the insight into the Confederate economy and society, looks like a dangerous place to be. Do I smell civil conflict?

Buying a newspaper while waiting in Grand Central for the train to Charleston, West Virginia for the journey Arthur discovered President Cleveland’s anti-imperial credentials were as strong as Alf had suggested. However it seemed a lot of his citizens weren’t so keen on such 'morality':

New York Post
March 24th 1898​
British Empire ratifies Treaty of the Hawaiian Protectorate
United States missed opportunity?

Loweringhawaiianflag.jpg

Yesterday, by an almost unanimous vote the Imperial Parliament in Westminster passed the Hawaiian Protection and Friendship Act, ending any pretence of Hawaiian independence and turning the Pacific island kingdom into a British dominion. When the proposal for such close relations between London and Honolulu began between Queen Victoria Ka’iulani and former Prime Minister Lord Salisbury back in 1896, there was uproar in the Unite States. Now, your journalist could easily mimic the actions of the press two years ago (as I’m sure many will do) and attack the evils of British imperialism. But it would address none of the real issues that have arisen from this event. In your journalist’s honest opinion, bile should not be aimed at Salisbury or Chamberlain but at Cleveland!

You may ask why but Hawaii’s annexation by a major nation, voluntarily or by force, was inevitable. The white dictatorship that first strangled the constitutional monarchy in 1888, limiting voting rights and then overthrew the monarchy in 1893 was extremely unpopular in the country. The men, representing vested interests used force against royalist protests and crushed two popular uprisings during their brief regime. Unbeknownst to many in this country, Queen Victoria of Hawaii, then heir-apparent petitioned the US government to intervene due to the dictatorship being dominated by US citizens and descendents. President Cleveland flat out refused, believing it would lead to Hawaii becoming a satellite state of the United States.

Ironically, the white regime, calling itself the Republic of Hawaii, petitioned the President to annex Hawaii, stating its coup as a patriotic act to finally give the USA access to the Pacific. Cleveland, true to his Bourbon Democrat ideals of anti-imperialism rejected it, despite strong support in Congress. The President was trying to be moral and live up to the Founding Fathers’ rejection of foreign rule, which I’m sure my readers, you as well as I can accept as self-evidently just. However morality and politics rarely mix and all the President succeed in doing was to leave Hawaii under tyranny, deny the nation access to the Pacific and ultimately allow the British to gain yet another colony to add to an empire that would make the Caesars blush.

With the Republic of Hawaii lacking real support and royalist lacking force enough to overthrow the hegemony, it was only a matter of time before the British stepped in. Funding rebellion, a swift counter-coup utilising 300 British, Canadian and Californian ‘volunteers’ swept the monarchy back into power without bloodshed on January 9th 1896. The British did nothing truly despicable as many in this country have said; they merely stole the United States’ thunder! And the President handed it to them on a silver platter. Washington’s goal off a nation stretching from sea to shining sea has long been defeated by missed opportunities like Texas and California, and by brash action such as the disaster of the Oregon War but in this instance, Cleveland took his pride before his prize.

British intervention, and this Hawaiian Protection and Friendship Act have allowed Hawaiians back their beloved monarch, allowed back elected government, allowed back peace and has allowed the construction of a permanent Royal Navy base at Pearl Harbour. As a long-time Democrat I am truly upset by the President and must admit that the Republicans will be getting my cross at next-year’s midterm elections and I stress others to follow suit, if only for the chance that the Untied States might make its might known and flexed in the world. Cleveland took his pride before his prize; I hope for the nation’s sake, he took his pride before his fall.

Last edited:
Vincent Julien: Oh you cad!

RGB: Quite, and too think the great enlightened Empire is allied with these ruffians, still politics has made made stranger bedfellows

Lloyien: Fare enough, I'll see what I can do in the next update or two

stnylan: Thanks, and I suppose you could- he is Canadian, might be a Quebecois under an assumed name! :eek:

Estonianzulu: The Confederacy is indeed a country of great beauty and utter horror- ace writing material ;)

Jape said:
he is Canadian, might be a Quebecois under an assumed name! :eek:

No way to hide that accent, I'm afraid. You could tell at once.

And as to Hawaii - they should be so lucky they got annexed by Britain and not by say, Japan, or Germany, or Russia, or the U.S. or (shudder) France. I daresay they quite won the lottery there.

Beautiful piece here, does this mean that California and Texas are British Dominions too? Or merely allied powers?

No map! Huzzah. I approve heartily of this absence of cartography!

So British North America is larger than it was, as I suspected and hoped. Gains from this disastrous Oregon War perhaps?

300 British, Canadian and Californian volunteers? Could be a coincidence they were Californian, but could be it wasn't. British influence spreads not only to the Pacific but down the US West Coast as well perhaps?

I would really like a map. Wonderful story though :).

Say No To Maps In Narrative AARs! That's my opinion on the matter.
Seems like imperialist feeling is growing in the USA, perhaps not the safest time to be taking a trip across the Atlantic.

Key West, Florida
Confederate States of America
28th March 1898

black_soldiers.jpg

Arthur and Stanley sweated profusely in the Caribbean heat, reluctant to step from under the canopy, which was shielding them from the high midday sun. Complementary iced lemonade had been laid out for them by General Wheeler’s batman, an ancient black called Horatio, but had soon disappeared, the two’s thirst barely quenched. For once Stanley was content to remain completely sober, liquid of any kind was all that he sought; that and he knew (or rather believed) the Confederate military kept the best whiskey cabinet this side of Aberdeen, he knew it was only a matter of waiting before the bourbon flowed.

Alf by comparison handled the humidity pleasantly, having been raised on the Canadian plains, not to mention his many photojournalistic expeditions across the Americas. While his partner(s) broiled in their cream tweed waistcoats, Alf, bedecked in khaki shorts and a wide-brimmed fedora, focused the lens of his camera, trying to get a perfect picture of B Company of the 9th Kentucky Colored Regiment. The abolition of slavery and the looming war with Spain had finally seen black enlistment, albeit segregated, into the Confederate Armies made legal. The past months had seen a groundswell of black volunteers, some no doubt trying to leave their drudging, oppressive lives at least for a while, but with most, they were overcome like that rest of the nation with patriotic fervour, the streets of New Orleans, Richmond and Miami ringing with the chants of “To Hell with Spain!”.

“Alright hold it right there boys”, called Alf from under the hood of his camera as he delicately adjusted the bellows, bringing the formation into focus. “To Hell with Spain”!

“To Hell with Spain”! The men called in unison, broad smiles on their faces, including the white officers. The camera clicked, and a gentle call of approval came from B Company as they began to disperse back to their billets. A few of them shook Alf’s hand, excited that their families would get to see them in the paper. Alf was too kind to point out that very few copies of The London Times were circulated in the Bluegrass State but considering a lot of photographs got circulated around, it wasn’t impossible that B Company would end up in the Louisville press in the near future.

Alf, took off his hat and wiped the sweat away from his brow, blinking up at the sun. He walked over to the canopy, just as Horatio arrived with another tray of lemonade.

“Thank you very much”, said Stanley with a tone of desperate gratitude, pouring himself a large glass even as the tray was still being set down on the table. Horatio gave a smile and walked away in silence.

“I think I’ll be having one of them fellas”, exclaimed Alf as he virtually fell into his chair. “A little hot ain’t it”?

Stanley spluttered in his drink, while Arthur gave him a look, mixed of shock, disgust and total exhaustion. “I must say”, Arthur answered, laced with sarcasm “it does beat Brighton Beach somewhat”

“Ha ha, ah you Brits, don’t worry it does take some getting used to but I’m sure you’ll soon find the Caribbean a rather pleasant place, even given the circumstances of our trip”.

“I hope so”

“So”, asked Stanley to no-one in particular “do you think the coloured soldiers will perform well, all of them being raw and all”

“Well Zulu auxiliaries showed the Mahdi a thing or two at Khartoum, saved Gordon’s skin”, answered Arthur “what was it he said “give a Zulu a spear and he is ferocious, give him a rifle and a bayonet and he is invincible””

“I fought along plenty of black soldiers at the Rio Grande”, interrupted Alf “A lot of them escaped slaves as well. Fought like lions they did, all for the promise of a scrap of land to call their own from Austin. That said these boys ain’t got any of that, but they’re patriots alright, they’ll fight”

Alf had spent much the journey south regaling in particular Stanley with tales of his misadventures back in the summer of 1887 during his first foreign assignment; the Rio Grande War. He had told of his rather ‘active’ participation on the Texan side during the skirmish, even helping to capture an Imperial Eagle, a tale that had lit up Stanley’s green face like a schoolboy.

“Excuse me sirs”, Horatio said sheepishly, appearing out of thin air “but General Wheeler will see Mr. Lambert now”

“Oh excellent”, Arthur said, standing up to put on his jacket and grab his bag

“Follow me sir”

Horatio led Arthur across the camp, passing units doing drill, shooting, singing and other activities as the Confederate 1st Army’s stay on Key West languished into its third week. Arthur noticed that while the white troops wore fresh British-made khaki uniforms (or as they called it ‘butternut’) the black troopers wore the old grey kit of the Civil War era, many being ragged, moth-eaten pieces, while some even wore old Union blue.

“Horatio”?

“Yes sir”?

“Why do so many of the coloured units wear those tattered uniforms”?

“They were donated”

“Donated”?

“Donated. A lot of bond slaves in this army sir, given the uniforms of their employers in return, a lot of the others from old surpluses and what not”

“Do they get their freedom if they fight”?

“Freedom! Sir, with all do respect they ain’t real slaves, they are free. If you mean do they have their bond dropped for service, well yes as long as their army pay makes up the last of the compensation”

“Are you a bond slave Horatio”?

“He he”, chuckled the batman “No sir, used to be for General Wheeler but I paid my bond and now I’m a bona fide solider, the General was gracious enough to keep me on, that’s why I got this fine butternut uniform you see sir”

“Ha, of course”

“Well we’re here sir”, pointed Horatio to the large tent ahead of them “the General will be expecting you”

Arthur made his way into the tent, two guards standing to attention, wielding their antiquated Martini-Henry rifles, a product of Anglo-Confederate friendship. General Wheeler sat inside, scribbling notes down with a large drooping pipe clamped between his teeth puffed away. Wheeler glanced up absently and paused before realising whom his guest was, standing to greet him.

“Mr. Lambert, a pleasure to finally meet you”, the cordial Alabaman said, shaking Arthur’s hand wholeheartedly

“I assure you the pleasure is all mine General”

“Most kind sir, please do sit”

“Thank you”

“Would you like a drink, perhaps a cigar”?

“Oh no thank you General, your assistant supplied plenty of lemonade, I am quite content”

“Very well, I must say I am a busy man Mr. Lambert and though I do not mean to rush you, for the sake of your readers it may be best to keep this to rapid fire questions and answers rather than a conversation as such”

“Of course, I understand General. Well let’s start with basic facts: How many men are present in the 1st Army at Key West”?

“At present 58,000 soldiers, including 9,000 Negroes”

“Will more be arriving”?

“In the event of war, reinforcements will be called upon when or if they are needed”

“Surely war is inevitable”?

“No declaration has been made, so no I do not believe it is inevitable. It is most certainly possible but I’m afraid my days in Richmond* are over, you’d have to talk to President Lee to get a straightforward answer about that”

“He he, very well, next question…

*Representative of Alabama in Congress from 1880-1898

'Flavour' Note: In my attempt to make this AAR read much like a Victorian-era piece, I hope no one is offended or put off by the use of language to describe the African-Americans (or rather African-Confederates) in this story. I'm sure many of you understand this already but thought I'd mention it jus in case anyone gained a 'misconception' of me, shall we say.

RGB: Very well :p . I do agree Hawaii got a fair deal in comparison to the alternatives. I've always felt sorry for Hawaii's fall as an independent state, in TL it atleast gets to be a Pacific analogue of the Indian Princley States

Maximilliano: Semi-Spoiler(!) Texas and California are members of the Commonwealth of Nations more an entente than a full-blown alliance, they are independent but (Texas in particular) are reliant on British trade and occassionally funds to keep them out of bankruptcy. British troops have been involved more than once in Texan politics shall we say.

El Pip: California gained independence from Mexico in the 1840's, backed by British interests. Britain also became the protector of Texas after it admission as a territory of the USA was rejected by Austin. There was no Mexican-American War, and yes the Oregon War saw the eponymous territory taken as a spoil by Her Majesty's Government

Cyrus_The_Great & GeneralHannibal: Cheers! The map issue is divided, so I'll hold off for now at least until a decent situation occurs for the use of a map

LeonTrotsky: They should be relatively safe, for now...

cthulhu: No Commadore Perry ;)

Last edited:
Interesting little scene. Sounds like it will be better for the blacks if there is a war - perhaps a chance to break prejudices as well.

stnylan said:
Interesting little scene. Sounds like it will be better for the blacks if there is a war - perhaps a chance to break prejudices as well.

I concur whole heartedly, especially with the 'perhaps' part. :D

Nice to see that British interests are alive and well south of British North America, a policy I heartily approve of.

This is shaping up to be an interesting affair.

Update?