• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It must only be a matter of time before the Russians invade the island.

Great to see another update. And I liked that you mentioned Winston's Black Dog. What a very interesting men he was!

Good update, though with Churchill in this bind, it may not be the best of news. :(

therev: ...“Send him in” The voice was unmistakable..

fascinating! ! not good news, but totally fascinating! :cool:

Somehow I think Winston's saying "come in" does not necessarily mean that he's "decent!" :rofl:

Therev (There the Fifth???), this is great work, and I'm happy to have stumbled upon it! :D

I like the writing alot, and the mystery you are developing.

I mean this not as a criticism... Somehow I feel like this reminds me of one of those old first-person text-based adventures, like Zork, or A Mind Forever Voyaging or something. I can't put my finger on why... But I like it! It is very nostalgic.

It has something to do with the fact that while he's wandering around he sees and hears things that he can't necessarily interact with. They are like setting the scene, and establishing the story, without being "actions" or descriptions so much... Hmm... Very difficult to explain, but I like it.

I'll keep an eye on this. Thanks!

Rensslaer

Rensslaer said:
Therev (There the Fifth???), this is great work, and I'm happy to have stumbled upon it! :D
Rensslaer

I'd rather assumed our author was a man of the cloth (the rev) instead, Renss. Indeed it is an intriguing start and quite well written. I look forward to more.

Vann

Vann the Red: I'd rather assumed our author was a man of the cloth (the rev) instead, Renss..

i don't mind if our author is a man of the cloth - as long as he is also a man of the pen! !

oh, is it too early to ask for an update? ;)

coz1 Great to see another update. And I liked that you mentioned Winston's Black Dog. What a very interesting men he was!

Thanks coz1. Considering Churchill’s depression and addiction to alcohol, I am in awe of the man and his intellect!

Sir Humphrey Good update, though with Churchill in this bind, it may not be the best of news.

Thanks Sir Humph. As will be seen – there is no good news.

GhostWriter: fascinating! ! not good news, but totally fascinating!

Thanks GW

Rensslaer Somehow I think Winston's saying "come in" does not necessarily mean that he's "decent!"
Therev (There the Fifth???), this is great work, and I'm happy to have stumbled upon it!
I like the writing alot, and the mystery you are developing.

Thanks for the kind words Rensslaer. I have tried the reporting of events and I will get back to that later – but for the foreseeable future – while my workload is such – it will be a brief update from time to time.

As to whether Winston is decent or not – this is yet to be seen… er or maybe not :eek:o

VILenin Just saw this and it's very interesting. I can't wait to see where you're going with this.

Thanks VILenin – I hope I continue to entertain.

Vann the Red … it is an intriguing start and quite well written. I look forward to more.

Thanks for the encouraging words Vann

GhostWriter i don't mind if our author is a man of the cloth - as long as he is also a man of the pen! !
oh, is it too early to ask for an update?

GhostWriter, you have to be one of the most encouraging AAR readers any authAAR could ever hope to have! As to being a man of the cloth – what sort do you think would suit best? Paisley maybe? :cool:

Interesting work you have here. I hope it does continue.

06:45 August 16th 1948

David woke. His head was pounding. He opened his eyes – and blinked – to make sure- it was as black as a tomb. He groaned. Then above the hum of the air conditioner, he heard it – a tapping. All of a sudden light sliced into the gloom. “Morning sir!” called a cheery voice, “I hope I haven’t disturbed you, but breakfast is ready in the mess.”

David groaned again and swung his legs out over the side of the bed. He felt hungover – which was no surprise considering the amount of alcohol he’d consumed the night before. In the light coming from the doorway we could
see he was in a small bedroom – it looked more like a cabin on a ship, with bunk beds on both sides – the only thing missing was a port hole. “Damn, I wish there was a port hole – I wish this was a ship, and I wish I was on my way home!” Virginia seemed a long, long way away!

Getting to his feet he rubbed his face and went to the door and turned the light on. The room looked even smaller in the glare of the exposed lightbulb. Grabbing his clothes he had dropped on the floor when he had stumbled in sometime during the night., he dressed and splashed some water on his face. Looking in the mirror, his mind turned over the events of the previous night.

********​

“Come in.” The voice was unmistakable. Striding into the room – David was shocked to see Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain – lounging in a large bath tub. Lying across the bath was a metal a metal tray on which stood a bottle of scotch, a glass half full, a lighted candle and an ashtray.

“Well, give it too me! I haven’t got all day! Oh, and close the door – don’t want to catch a bloody cold from the draft!.

Collecting himself, David turned and shut the door, before walking over to the bath and handing his package to the Prime Minister. Sir Winston placed it carefully on the tray, rubbed his hands then quickly ripped the brown paper parcel open. Inside were several boxes of cigars. Using a penknife Winston cut open the seal on the top box. Taking a deep breath, he sighed. “Ahhh….. La Aroma de Cuba. …Colonel Ogilvy?”

“Sir?”

“You have just made my day!” Another deep breath. “You know, Reggie and I smoked these beauties in Havana non-stop.”

Worshipfully lifting a fat stogie out of the box Churchill gently rolled it and sniffed it. Moistening the end of the cigar he leaned over the side of the bath grunting with effort as he tried to pick up a box of matches. “Damn! Colonel, pass me those matches will you!” David reached down picked up the matches and handed the box over. Taking out an extra-long wooden match, he poked a hole through the length of the cigar. He then blew through the cigar from the other end to make sure it would draw. Finally, picking up the candlestick he brought the cigar over the flame and lit it.

Soon the room started to get smoky. David watched and waited. Finally Churchill carefully placed the cigar on his ashtray, a silver pagoda with a trough, into which the cigar nestled.

Churchill turned to David and beamed. “Eisenhower is a loyal friend of Britain” he said, “He hasn’t forgotten us, unlike that damn fool president of yours!”

“Sir!” bristled David. “That damn fool president – happens to be my damn fool president – and I respectfully ask you to show him the honour he deserves!”

Churchill chuckled – “Dwight picked you personally to come here didn’t he?” For some reason, David felt that Churchill seemed sympathetic.

“Sir, I am here representing the President of the United States of the Americas – but yes, General Eisenhower did appoint me personally.”

Churchill chuckled again, picked up his cigar and motioned David to sit in one of the chairs next to the bathtub. “Do a lot of dictation here, may as well keep the secretaries comfortable” A few puffs later, Winston withdrew his cigar and looking at the glowing tip remarked, “It was 3 years ago I think, I was hosting a luncheon in honour of exiled King Ibn Sa'ud from what used to be Saudi Arabia. I was told that neither smoking nor alcohol were allowed in the ‘Royal Presence’. This needed to be addressed so I raised the matter at once with his Highness, and said to the interpreter that if it was the religion of His Majesty to deprive himself of smoking and alcohol I must point out that my rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them. The King graciously accepted the position."

Reaching behind him, he collected another glass and placing it on the tray, picked up the bottle and poured a generous amount of scotch into it. Picking up the other glass, he saluted David. “Bottoms up Old man!” His glass was empty before David’s had touched his lips. “Drink up Colonel –we have a lot to discuss!”

Last edited:
Not precisely how David, or anyone, would quite imagine meeting Churchill. But very appropriate nonetheless.

therev: ...“Drink up Colonel –we have a lot to discuss!”

excellent update! ! :cool:

Great update. :)

VILenin: I'm also wondering who the president is. Nice encounter with Churchill. :)

historically, it would have been Harry S. Truman. it is very reasonable to assume that FDR is dead, and since Eisenhower is still a general...

that said, IIRC, Truman was also on very good terms with Churchill. therefore, it seems that an ahistorical president sits in the White House! ! ;) for some reason, Joseph Kennedy comes to mind! ! :wacko: