• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

badger_ken

Colonel
9 Badges
Jul 21, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
Hello everybody, I hope you enjoy this Venetian AAR. This is going to be a pretty "non-standard" AAR, both in terms of how its configured and how I'm playing it, so I hope you'll allow me to explain what's going on, it will make the actual AAR more comprehensible.

Table of Contents (added much later, sorry)
1. This post: 1399-1412, wars vs. Cyprus, Aquilea, Milan.
2. ... to 1447, wars vs. Aragon, Genoa, Sicily.
3. ...to 1458. Wars vs. Siena, Urbino.
4. ...to 1475. Wars vs. Hungary, Ottoman Empire
5. ....to 1488. War vs. Maya
6. .... to 1498. Wars vs. Maya, Morea, Tripoli
7. 1499 checkpoint.
8. ....to 1511. Wars vs. Zanzibar, Ottoman Empire, Algiers, Mamluks, Maya
9. ....to 1515. Wars vs. Fez, Portugal / Castile
10. .... to 1535. Wars vs. Sicily, Ottoman Empire, Ferrara
11. .... to 1551. Wars vs. Ceylon, Ferrara, Mamluks, Sicily, Brunei, Sicily.
12. .... to 1562. Wars vs. Ottoman Empire, Mamluks, Brunei, Aceh, Bali, Austria/Great Britain, Aceh, Makassar, Ottoman Empire.
13. ....to 1568. Wars vs. Maya, Mamluks
14. ....to 1584. War vs. Sicily
15. ...to 1597. Wars vs. Portugal, Ottoman Empire, Sicily.
16. ....to 1601. Wars vs. Japan/Ming.
17. 1602 snapshot.
18. ....to 1608. Wars vs. Brunei, Maya, Japan/Ming/Naples, Austria/Japan/Great Britain
19. ....to 1611. Wars vs. Austria/Japan/Great Britain, Mamluks/Candar/Brunei, Naples/Japan
20. ...to 1635. Wars vs. Ottoman Empire, Chimu, Austria/Japan, Ottoman Empire.
21. .....to 1643. Wars vs. Chimu, Great Britain, Chimu.
22. Postgame wrapup.

Which Mods

This will be my second game of EU3, the first was played with "EU3 complete" right out of the box. Eu3 is a great game but I wanted to see if I could find a mod that addressed two things:

1) an even greater role for religion. EU3 models religious strife more than any other game I can think of, and I think even that is still not enough - religious xenophobia and fervor was the "high order bit" for much of world history during this period. dharper's wonderful "Dei Gratia" mod (DG) seemed just the ticket for me.

2) better AI. The EU3 AI I think is actually quite good, but it's still no match for a human. I wanted something that would neither give me huge penalties that the computer doesn't face, nor add a lot more complexity to the game - no 227 page manuals need apply (I'm lookin' at you, Magna Mundi ;)).

I had hoped to use "SRI" for this one, which includes both AI beefup and an expanded HRE, but it appears that DG and SRI don't quite work and play well together, so I took just the AI subset of SRI, "Ad Infinitum" (AI for short).

Finally, while I was at it, I mixed in Strannik's Hand Drawn Maps mod, just because it looks so nice!

So many thanks to dharper, Helius, and Strannik, for their great mods!

Which Country

In my first game, I played a technologicially challenged land power (Hungary), paying little attention to navy or trade and none to colonization - see the AAR here.

So in this game, I want to play a technologically advantaged power, focusing on navy, trade, and colonization, and paying as little attention to land combat as possible. I looked at Japan, England, Portugal, Norway, and Venice, and chose Venice. A few things that particularly drew me to Venice:
1) it's a true island - so long as the Venetian navy holds firm, Venice cannot be conquered.
2) it's in a much tougher position for colonization than Portugal, England, or Norway.
3) I wanted to play a republic.

How to play it

There are two ways you can look at Venice - as an Italian power with a large navy (that's the tack taken by the "Mare Nostrum" AAR, in which Venice expands along the Adriatic coast), or as a naval power that happens to be (barely) attached to Italy. I am going to take the latter tack, to explore what the game is like with as "pure" a naval power as possible. I am going to hold by the following "Venetian Golden Rule"

--- The Venetian Flag Will Only Fly Over Islands ----

That's right, if it isn't an island, I'm not taking it. Maybe I'll vassalize it ;), but I won't conquer it permanently.

What this means, and initial strategy

With this view of the world, there are 11 pieces of desirable real estate in Europe - everything else is yukky brown continental stuff. From West to East, they are (1) the Balearic islands, (2) Corsica, (3) Sardinia, (4) Sicily, (5) Malta, (6) Venice, (7), Corfu, (8) Naxos, (9) Crete, (10) Rhodes, and (11) Cyprus. The "Magnificent 11" :).

My goal is to conquer as much as possible of the "Magnificent 11", and use that to then go to the New World, where my goal will be to conquer every island in the Caribbean. One big problem here is that Venice is the westernmost point in the empire - we dearly need to "island-hop" to Sicily/Malta or Corsica/Sardinia, and then to Belarics/Canaries/Azores.

If that isn't ambitous enough, well England and Japan are islands, after all.... :)

The initial setup and plan.

At the beginning of the game, Venice controls 3 of the Magnificent 11 - Venice (of course), Crete, and Corfu (a vassal). We also own two pieces of dirt - Athens and Treviso (the land to the north of Venice).

In accordance with the Venetian Golden Rule, we start the game off by releasing Athens as a vassal! :eek: After all, all we need is one revolt, or one war in the area, and Athens is a goner anyway - this way we are free of that entanglement.

The other piece of dirt, Treviso, which is really the northern half of Venice, we hang on to, it seems like being a little too extreme a measure - as we will see, this may have been a mistake.

My plan is to ally with dirt nations as a check against my neighbors, allying with them against my true rivals - Aragon (owns Balearics), Genoa (owns Corsica), and the independent nations of Sicily, Naxos, Rodes, and Cyprus.

Accordingly, in October 1399 I immediately ally with Austria, and a few months later with Hungary - this should give me a nice snug security blanket.

I start casting covetous eyes towards Sardinia, which has no allies and (it appears) no army, but the stability penality is too severe - one of my mods has now added a -2 stability hit for invading somebody I'm on good terms with, it's too much. I have so few diplomats at the start that it will take quite a long time for their insults to drive this down, and before it does I am beaten to the punch by Milan, which DOWs Sardinia in April 1400 and annexes it in May 1401 - bummer.

I continue to ever-so-slowly build up my forces, and ever-so-slowly start to send guarantees and warnings to various nations, when I inadvertently step into a 9-year sequence of wars......

War #1: vs. Cyprus

It all starts innocently enough, when a Church Schism event (thanks to the "DG" mod, which I am completely digging so far), where we are required to back either the Roman or Avignonese pope. I go with the one in Rome, which it turns out gives me a whole bunch of temporary CBs against nations which went the other way (and it gives them CBs on me, I assume):

The most intriguing one here is Cyprus - one of the Magnificent 11. It's a lot closer to the Turk than I'd like, I wanted to expand to the West, not the East, but hey you can't always get what you want. The only problem is ...

they are guaranteed by (gulp) France! But surely, France won't bother to go to war over an insignifcant little thing like Cyprus, right?

So in February 1403 I DOW Cyprus ... and France answers the call. Ouch! Should be interesting.

I get quite bad news almost immediately after this, as my dirt ally #1 (Austria) DOWs my dirt ally #2 (Hungary)! I can't really honor either call, being on good relations with, and an ally of, both, and already fighting another war - I decline both calls, breaking both alliances, sob.

Perhaps not coincidentally, a few months after that, little Aquilea (the little state to my east) starts sending me a steady stream of insults.

In October 1403, I notice something weird - I, and many other nations, have a CB on something called the "Incan Empire": hmm, how can I have a CB on something I never heard of, on the other side of the world? Methinks somebody's mod needs a tweak ;)

Anyways, back to me - I conquer Cyprus without incident, and in April 1404 I annex them - I decide to annex, not vassalize, which may be a mistake, as I think my Achilles heel is putting down revolts (with what army??), but I thought that given how few provinces I am going to allow the flag over, I should take them when I get them.

France, however, continues on, and invades and conquers my vassal Athens. Nice that this wasn't counted as one of my provinces!

War #2: vs. Aquilea

In July 1404, I've gained Cyprus but am fighting France, when Aquilea DOWs me, as I had feared. Their 9K strong army is far too big for my little 3K army to even think of resisting - I go to my "rope a dope" strategy, letting them seige Treviso, while using my fleet to keep the damage limited to just Treviso. This actually works, but the war exhaustion will just keep climbing and climbing :(

We sit like this for two years, until September 1406, when France finally gets tired of things and we agree to a white peace. Thankfully they had never concluded a separate peace with Athens, which bounces back to vassal status. However, Aquilea and I are still waiting each other out, my war exhaustion is climbing and climbing.....

After two more years, in September 1408 (I've now been at war for 5.5 years :(), I finally get an idea - I'm going to exploit the AI, so sue me. The Aquliean army has been 100% focused on occupying Treviso. I do an amphibous invasion with a little 2K force (almost half my entire home army!), and start munching my way through Aquilean provinces.

War #3: vs. Milan

Slowly but surely, this strategy is working, when in in February 1409 .... Milan DOWs me! Man oh man, can't I get a little peace? In July 1409, things have reached the point with Aquilea where at least they finally see the light of day - they give me $25 and one of their provinces, which I am intending to turn around and sell (probably to Austria) at the first opportunity.

Milan takes over from Aquilea in conquering Treviso - Treviso has come to seem more and more of an Achilles heel. I take Sardinia from Milan, it's the only place I can really touch them, and then we glare at each other for years.

Finally, finally, in February 1412 I am able to buy Milan off for a token payment of $25 - I have now been at war for 9 years, my revolt risks and war exhuastion are both too high, and my treasury is nearly empty (proud Venice even needed to take out a loan during this :(). The only things I've gained in this whole 9 year mess are (a) Cyprus, and (b) an Aquilean province, which I had wanted to sell but which is now rebel-occupied, it appears I can't even sell it now.

By the way, in March 1410 I got a National Idea, which I spend on "National Trade Policy" - gotta make that money.

So here we are in February 1412 - my plan is to pray that I get no revolts, let things calm down for a few years, and then try to grab another one of the Magnificent 11 - 4 down, 7 to go!

Last edited:
Those damn dirt bastards! You should have picked national bank IMO.

Heheheh, that'll be some challenge in the beginning... :p:D

By the way, in March 1410 I got a National Idea, which I spend on "National Trade Policy" - gotta make that money.

Probably not a bad idea to start with. As long as your navy rules the waves you'll do just fine.;)

Joe

will be following this.. especially because in my last game i kicked the venetians out of all their islands ;)

I'll see you and raise - in my last game I vassalized Venice :p
hope you enjoy the thread! I've done a few more years, and it is indeed tough sledding.

update through 1427

Welcome back to another episode of "A Very Venetian AAR" - this episode features more wars, an Ethical Dilemma, and multiple compliments to dharper.

As our episode begins in 1412, Venice is exhausted after a 9 year war marathon, whose only positive result was adding Cyprus, and whose negative result was making me take out a loan (the interest is outrageous! :().

I am now seeing (another) of Venices deep weaknesses - when your army is really small, and your empire (such as it is) is all disconnected islands, it's extremely difficult to put down any rebellion.

Enough whining - I try to address the situation, as (a) scanning the list of available advisors, I see a guy who reduces revolt risk by 1.5% sitting unclaimed - I snap him up!, and (b) I pray. The prayers pay off (no doubt due to the "Dei Gratia" mod :)), as very nice things happen in 1413 :

First, I sell the piece of dirt I had grabbed of Aquilea (something called "Gorz") to Austria for a whopping $300. At this point of the game, this make a very big difference, putting Venice back in a very good financial situation. Also, it splits Aquilea in two, heh heh. Also, it makes Aquilea small enough that it can be vassilized, double heh heh.

Second, no revolts happen!

Speaking of revolts, I idly consider converting Cyprus to Catholicism from Orthodox, and notice another effect of the "Dei Gratia" mod - the conversion success percentage is negative 1.5%! While the Doge in me is unhappy, the game-player in me applauds this realism - religious conversion should be difficult and rare.

I continue to rest and wait for revolt chances to go down all the way until 1417, when, in the "things not happening to Venice" department....

Byzantium falls! 36 years ahead of time. Hungary and Austria have been busy fighting each other instead of the Turk, this might have had something to do with it.

This is almost immediately followed (probably by coincidence) with an Insult and a Warning from Milan - it looks like I'm back in their sights again, groan.

This is confirmed in July 1417, when Milan, joined by Aquilea, DOWs me. The only somewhat good news is that Austria, which was allied with both Milan and me, stays out.

War #4: vs. Milan and Aquilea

As I expected, Treviso is my Achilles heel again, as Aquilea quickly marches in and sieges it - even little Aquilea has an army that I can't match. However, due to my splitting Aquilea in two, I am able to land an amphibious force in the eastern part of Aquilea, and while he's sieging me, I'm sieging him.

I had established "The March" in Treviso, which seems to be really paying off, as I conquer 2 Aquilean provinces before Treviso even falls.

And now we come to ... the Ethical Dilemma.

<Ethical Dilemma>
When playing this game, I'm always trying to struggle with which AI-beating techniques I should use, and which I shouldn't. I try do this as little as possible, but let's face it, if you only react to AI moves that are as smart as what a human would have done, you won't do much in this game. This is actually one of the reasons I wanted to play a Naval power, as the AI on fighting land campaigns is too easily beatable.

From the general to the specific: Treviso. The AI senses, quite accurately, that this is my Achilles heel - anyone who wants to can walk into it, conquer it, and rack up a nice big war score (since I own so few provinces). So far, so good. The problem is that after that, the AI seems transfixed by the wonderfulness of Venice, and piles up all its armies in Treviso, even though it can't walk into Venice because of the "wooden walls" of my fleet. Treviso is therefore both an "Achilles heel" and a "roach motel" - invaders check in, but they don't check out.

Both Aquilea and Milan, for example, have large forces in Treviso, each of which has its nose pressed up against the window to Venice, ignoring the fact I'm busy conquering Aquilea out from under them.

Should I not conquer Aquilea, since no human would let me get away with this? Or is this bending over a little too backwards?

Here's a photograph of me wrestling with this decision:

27939_512x288_generated__RaUFuSutZ0+qsTho3gGsEw.jpg

This time, the one with the horns wins - I decide to go ahead and take advantage of this AI flaw. Sorry about that....
</Ethical Dilemma>

So, back to the war - as the Aquilean army steadfastly refuses to budge from Treviso, I go ahead and conquer the Aquilean capital - and in February 1418, Aquilea becomes my vassal.

Milan then of course conquers Treviso (this is I think the 4th time Treviso has been conquered in the first 30 years of the game), so I repeat my "Inchon" strategy, as I notice that Milan has left its homeland in upper Italy completely undefended - I take Sardinia (the only thing I want anyways), then the 3 provinces in northwest Italy, and this convinces Milan to give me Sardinia in August 1420 - another of the "Magnificent 11" is now mine!

I rest, pile up money, and watch those revolt percentages go down ever ... so ... slowly .... until 1425, when Cyprus finally rebels. My fears are justified, as the (by EU3 standards) quite small group of rebels (2K cavalry, 2K infantry) easily overpower my 2K garrison and take over the island. By scraping together every available soldier from every available province, I am able to land a 5K relief force which, barely, puts down the rebellion. Wheeze, gasp.

These past few years, I've been trying various strategems to shake loose another island, but none have been working. In particular, I've been focusing on Corsica, another one of my Magnificent 11 targets, as its owner, Genoa, has the nerve to embargo me from their COT! How anti-capitalist of them! However, they've always had way too many alliances for me to consider DOW-ing them, but between 1420 and 1425 a series of wars breaks out, all of which Genoa declines participation in, and so its alliances drop away one by one.

By October 1425, Genoa only has one ally left - Austria. This would normally be quite bad, however Austria is allied to me as well, and I gamble that they will just stay out.

War#5 - vs. Genoa

In October 1425, I DOW Genoa. My various vassals (Corfu, Athens, Aquilea) join in, to my surprise they turn out to be extremely useful, as Athens has built up quite a nice fleet, with an admiral on it to boot! Even better, as I had hoped, Austria stays out. Novgorod and Muscovy join in, shrug.

Genoa consists of 4 provinces - Genoa, Corsica, and then 2 provinces in the Black Sea. This means that annexation/vassalization is out of the question, so my goals are to (1) take Corsica, and (2) get the embargo lifted.

The war turns out to be the best of wars, the really boring kind :) - I amphibiously assault Genoa and Corsica, with the help of my Athenian buddies give a sound spanking to the Genoese fleet, and by May 1427 Corisca is mine, along with a nice $225 payment from Genoa. I am still at war with Novgorod and Muscovy, I could wait for them to give up but given my revolt weaknesses I decide to convert a little money into time, and for a mere $25 the Russians bow out, and I am back at peace. Yay!

Looking at newly conquered Sardinia and Corsica, I see another great addition from the "Dei Gratia" mod - one can now build various "Monasteries" (Dominican, Franciscan, etc.).

I pick the one that lowers revolt risk - hats off again to dharper!

Winning these wars did indeed lift the embargoes (I saw no option for this in the "demand tribue" section - did I miss it?), however to my great annoyance just one month later Genoa reimposes it! Grrrrrr.

So here we are in late 1427, with 1 more vassal (Aquilea) and 2 more of the Magnificent 11 (Corsica and Sardinia) now mine - 6 down, 5 to go! My plan now is once again to wait a little while for revolt risks to die down, and then try to grab another island, probably the Baleares. Also, I am going to try and bee-line for "Conquest for the New World" as quickly as I can - I want go get the Canaries or the Azores if at all possible.

Last edited:
Maybe you should sell the piece of dirt that is treviso.

Maybe you should sell the piece of dirt that is treviso.

I tried to, the problem is that you can't sell core provinces. I've been seriously debating ceding it immediately to whoever conquers it next, however.

is Corsica not in the HRE?

not sure, why?

and you why not take Milan, or better, Italia? if not, what you gona do when you have your little islands?

hi chals, see my first post - i'm trying to see how successful I can be playing an exclusively island-bound empire: "My goal is to conquer as much as possible of the "Magnificent 11", and use that to then go to the New World, where my goal will be to conquer every island in the Caribbean"

not sure, why?

hi chals, see my first post - i'm trying to see how successful I can be playing an exclusively island-bound empire: "My goal is to conquer as much as possible of the "Magnificent 11", and use that to then go to the New World, where my goal will be to conquer every island in the Caribbean"

Do you have a mod that have a working HRE system`? If so, dont you get some negative modifiers for not have legal right to that teritory?

Does that not requre some things..
Is it an advanced idea in your game, and can you in your economi pay for the upkeep of a coloni? Its something like 20D per province pr year.. (in 18 years or something like that, need 900 pop, and getting 50/year

Last edited:
Don't sell Treviso. Scorch land and let AI starve there. :)

Look, my allies in Genoa made the decision for me what to do with Treviso:

treviso.jpg

They always were assholes. :)

You should go get Gotland, Ösel and the danish islands!