• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is a great read so far. I am looking forward to more. I wonder whether beating William, won't lead to the Norse winning. Big risk.

Excellently written. Consider me subscribed :)

Finally updated, much later than planned. Ahem, sorry but things had gotten really hectic. :)

Sleight of Hand: Thanks! :)

Chief Ragusa: He does but I couldn't take the chance - I need to knock Normandy out of the war quickly before the Danes and Norwegians get too strong a foothold in England.

Machiavellian: It is. I'm hoping the Germans will come to my aid but the situation is very touch and go!

Andrzej I & Sergei Meranov: Thank you very much - always glad to have new readers! :)

Volume One (continued)
southernenglandwarearly.png

William besieges Wilton while Harold battles Laval...

Southern England, November 1066 - January 1067

"Wictred sound the horn! The whoresons are coming back!" Prince Godwin shouted to his retainer. Not that he needed too - the whole company could see the Norman knights wheeling around for another charge and with grim satisfaction the Prince saw his own men reforming the shieldwall ready to meet the invaders. Good men too, the Herefordshire fyrd, even if they lacked the training and arms of the King's own Huscarls. A sword and shield were a potent combination with a stout Saxon yeoman wielding them and the grass of the hillock was greasy with blood from both sides and the day was far from over yet. To his left the Prince could see the red royal banner flying proudly - the wyvern of Wessex and the lion of England. His father still held the field.

The Prince did not have long to bask in the moment of pride as the Normans were almost upon them. Clamping back down his ornate helm and drawing his gilt handled sword he took his place at the centre of his regiment, shouting encouragement to the men. In truth he felt frozen from the inside out with terror of being trampled into the muck by Norman steeds or spitted like a pig by Norman spears but he would never show it. The brave men around him needed no coward and if their leader was not a natural warrior he would simply have to try all the harder. "For God and the King!" he roared as the foe reached them and all turned to chaos. The Prince caught a glimpse of the wyvern banner in the distance before he found himself crossing swords with a sneering knight. The Norman must have realised who he was facing for in his eagerness to attack the Prince he charged through the Saxon line ignoring the fyrdsmen to his side. Until Wictred slashed his blade across the flanks of the horse causing it to reer and throw it's rider - who recieved the Prince's sword in his belly.

"Hold the line," he called out, nodding his thanks to Wictred even as the knights wheeled again.

***​

The long feared Norman reinforcements under the Mayor of Laval had landed in late November and wintered in England as Harold rested his army. At the beginning of the new year the king struck at the invaders as they besiged Arundel. Once again numbers lay with the Saxons, though the edge was tigher now and Harold had lost some of his finest men facing the Bastard. Not that he could afford to wait for reinforcements of his own; just before Christmas the King of Denmark had declared for his kinsman Harald Hadrada. Not only were the Norwegians overunning the north the whole of eastern England lay open to the Danes. Harold had to end the Norman threat and he had to end it fast - hence Arundel.

haroldslaststand.jpg
The battle hangs in the balance as the Norman cavalry charge the Saxon lines...​

The Saxons had marched to the coast, deliberately coming between the Normans and the Channel thus forcing Laval's hand if he wanted to keep in contact with Normandy itself. It was a risky tactic - the Normans were iron hard attackers - but Harold was determined to fight a battle as quickly as possible. He was not disappointed; the Normans struck so swiftly the Saxons had no time to fortify their camp, though they at least secured the higher ground. All day long Norman arrows thudded against Saxon shields and the knights charged again and again and more than once the shieldwall nearly broke. But Harold's will never broke and hour by bloody hour the Saxons ground down the Normans. By the end of the day most of Laval's men were dead or dying and the Normans had fled the field. For the second time Saxon had defeated Norman.

battleofarundelpic.png

The Battle of Arundel

"And this time they are broken," Harold said, after the battle triumph taking the edge out of the exhaustion in his voice.

"The Bastard is still abroad brother - and he could yet unite with Laval and his survivors," pointed out Gyrth gloomily. Prince Godwin shifted uneasily in his chair as everyone considered the words of the Earl of East Anglia and a weight fell across the feat table.

"Dogs to be run down soon enough," said Harold scornfully before laughing and slapping his brother hard across the back. "Don't worry Gyrth, you'll have other woes to worry you."

He had too, though only Harold and his messangers knew the why just then:

The Danes had returned to England.

Wonderful, I've been longing for an English AAR. Good luck against the Northmen :D

Welcome back RossN. :)

The Danes. That is rather foreboding.

Another party joining the war? You're fooked.

EmperorTojo: That he did *angry muttering*

Tapscott: Thanks and welcome! :)

Kelly Hrdina: Thanks. :)

Watercress: I'm trying but the Norse are going to be a tough nut to crack!

Nikolai & Sleight of Hand: Thanks guys. :)

Machiavellian & Faeelin: It is bad but don't forget I've pretty much knocked the Normans out of the fight and the Empire is on my side. So not quite doomed yet. :)

Shaytana: Thanks! :)

Volume One (continued)

battleofsouthampton.jpg

The Battle of Southampton, April 1067​

Southern England, January-April 1067

The Anglo-Saxons spent the start of the new year hunting down the exhausted remnants of the Norman army with a vengeance. In March the Bastard's few surviving retainers were shattered at Sarum - though William escaped on horseback bound for the coast. The King was less than delighted but everyone knew that if the Bastard left with his life he left with precious else. The greater threat now were the Danes. Sweyn II of Denmark had landed an army near Southampton.

Harold's army reached Winchester at the start of April to rest momentarily - and be rejoined by the heir to the throne. Prince Godwin had spent a few blissful weeks with his new bride and was not thrilled to be summoned to duty. Though he did have something to cheer him up as he saw his father. No sooner had the young man met the King than he blurted out: "Adela is with child."

Harold looked at his bookish, unmartial son in surprise. "Perhaps we'll make a man of you yet boy," Harold commented. Then his rather chilly eyes warmed up and his habitual wolfish smile eased into something more affectionate. He slapped the prince on the back so strongly the young man winced. "Congratulations my son. You'll do our line proud. Now let us show that whoreson Sweyn he fights against the wrong family."

A few days later Harold had chance to show the foe just that. On the evening of 9th April the Saxon army arrived at the flat Wessex coast and sighted the campfires of the Danes. The King went with his scouts to a nearby hillock and returned near dancing with glee to the bemusement of his captains (let alone sons). "The Danes have half our numbers if that," he explained and grinned fearsomely. "We'll roll them up well before midday - and celebrate dinner in Sweyn's camp."

The following morning was a strikingly beautiful one. The sun shone in a brilliant blue sky guarded by flocks of pure white clouds. All around were the scent of wild flowers brought in on the wings of the spring breeze. In splendid order Harold led his stout huscarls towards the center of ramshackle Danish lines, the light fyrdmen of Kent, Hereford, East Anglia and Northumbria guarding the flanks. A forest of banners were held aloft over the glistening spear points, key amongst them the Wyvern of Wessex and the Lion of England itself. With a bloodcurdling roar from nearly six thousand English throats the Saxon army charged the Danish host.

The Battle of Southampton was short but very bloody. The Danish archers managed to send a panicked volley of arrows away but that was that and as the huscarls collided with their opponents lines the whole Danish army began to disintegrate. With brutal efficiency Saxon axes carved through Sweyn's shieldwall, the combination of numbers and experience impossible to counter. As his army collapsed in blood and confusion the Danish king turned and fled. Very few of his men managed to follow him - out of over twenty one hundred viking warriors just four hundred and sixty Danes lived to reach the longships. The Mayor of Nyborg personally surrendered to Harold. The Saxon triumph was complete.

Which was why Harold was struck cold when the ashen faced Herefordshire officers arrived carrying a body covered with a red cloak. His tongue feeling like lead the King silently motioned the cape to be drawn aside and found himself looking into the pale face of his eldest son. Prince Godwin, Earl of Hereford was dead, an arrow lodged in his heart.

"You did us proud boy," the King whispered, his trembling hands place two gold coins over his son's eyes. Hot tears stung his cheeks and he had to stop a moment before adding: "you did me proud."

southamptonp.png
The Saxon casualties are few...​

sdeathn.png

...but hard to take.

*tearful eyes*
Touching update RossN.

Oh damn, wasn't suspecting that. So does the succession pass to Edmund, or to the child in Adela's womb?