• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Italian nomads would be playable by a human in the 1749 save, though ... especially given how you can conquer lands as a nomad and given your current tech level. In fact it would probably be too easy ;)

The Italian nomads would be playable by a human in the 1749 save, though ... especially given how you can conquer lands as a nomad and given your current tech level. In fact it would probably be too easy ;)

Really ? Even with -3 stability, -100 prestige, rebels all over the place, war against most nations, small fleet which means few tariffs, and colonial revolts around the corner ? You serious ? Would take a very skilled human player IMHO.

Just caught up again, that's indeed a remarkable collapse by the AI. :D

Well done getting Italy formed though.

Really ? Even with -3 stability, -100 prestige, rebels all over the place, war against most nations, small fleet which means few tariffs, and colonial revolts around the corner ? You serious ? Would take a very skilled human player IMHO.
All true, but after consolidation ( some losses would be unavoidable , unfortunately ) , you would be a high tech nomad ;) I'm not saying that the consolidation part would be easy , though ... but after that the sky is the limit

Mini-Intermezzo : The Italian Nomads (3)

Hrmm. I was intrigued, and I opened the 1749 "Italian Nomads" savefile. It might be playable - if you are masochist IMHO. In fact, I told Italy has 79 ships - actually that was the force limits. Italy has 593 ships that cost 1203 ducats A MONTH!
EU3_2.jpg

So even if I don't research, my yearly loss is 12196 yearly. How is that for a start
EU3_5.jpg

But I thought that is easily fixed. So I disbanded ALL of the galleons, frigates, caravels and flytes. I kept only the Wargalleons, the Twodeckers and the Heavy Frigates. Got under the navy support limit.
EU3_7.jpg

Then I tried and find out what I can do with my armies.
There are several troops in America, which I split to avoid attrition and hunt rebels more efficiently.
EU3_10.jpg

EU3_11.jpg

Well, provinces will be defecting...
EU3_14.jpg

The Ai was still sending merchants to the COTS who are not controlled by Italy any longer. Fixed that.
EU3_15.jpg

I disband some cavalry and artillery, I will need mostly infantry to recover the provinces.
EU3_19.jpg

EU3_21.jpg

All the while rebels keep popping up. Now the balance is still bad. I disbanded too many ships, but even if I had some more my tariffs would still not be enough to keep me afloat.
EU3_23.jpg

These are the only troops I have in Asia. They are outnumbered by Muscowy, Manchu and Ming in Asia, who will not peace. The only option is escape somewhere else, maybe to Africa ? Khorasan and Persia have truced.
EU3_25.jpg

But what is even the point of keeping the provinces, if you can't get the tariffs. I would like to move my capital to America, but I can't, if stability is negative. And I can't ever get my stability back to positive. Even if spent everything on stability, (and I can't), I would have to wait till 1775. I guess I would just disband every army outside of America, because in the meantime I scuttled all my transport.
EU3_29.jpg

So I'd have to wait until Venice falls and maybe the capital will be moved to America. In the meantime, try to survive there, which will be very hard as soon as the colonies start rebelling. Expansion is not possible, the challenge would be to find out how much of Italy I can hold. Well, no thanks.
Anything feels up to the challenge ? I will go on with the "mainline" AAR.

I've downloaded the save but probably won't look at it until the end of my AAR so 2013 :)

I've downloaded the save but probably won't look at it until the end of my AAR so 2013 :)
When you do, expand the timeline to 9999 or something...and see how fast you can do a WC with them.:rofl:

Wow. I would be totally in awe if you managed to pull it off. IMHO it would require not only great skills but also a lot of endurance and frustration tolerance.
But of course by 2013 there will be probably be DW 5.2 and I understand this kind of scenario wouldn't even be possible with the new patch - so the interest in it may be limited. Still, it would be very entertaining and a great challenge.

Well I don't have great skills but I think we can safely say I'm OK on endurtance and frustration tolerance.

Yeah- if he wasn't, he wouldn't stay tribal as the GH all the way upu to 1821, enduring all of the TSCs and Incapable Rulers (this was before DW though, so at least he wasn't a Steppe Nomad...)

1675-1677: War with Muscowy, Portugal, Switzerland, Ming, Adal.... (1)

True.... We'll see what will happen in 2013.
I will now go on with the main story.

One of the first builds in the new country of Italy - a Tax assessor in Rome (-0.05 inflation yearly).
EU3_30.jpg

I get a core on Awsa (Adal). In March 1677, as War Exhaustion is pretty low and infamy is about to reach 0, I declare war on Savoy, Adal, Ming and Riga. Other countries join the war, notably Switzerland, Muscowy and Danemark.
EU3_36.jpg

Our first major engagement is against Switzerland, in Bern.
EU3_45.jpg

But we fail to rout them, as we are defeated in Freibourg and we have to retreat.
EU3_53.jpg

Things start moving in Muscowy as well.
EU3_55.jpg

In Liguria, I lose a small army because of a misclick, not sure what I did there...
EU3_57.jpg

Some of My troops have marched into Riga and Muscowy through Bohemia and Sweden, while other have marched in from the Caucasus. I split them to avoid attrition, but that means I often risk being outnumbered.
EU3_59.jpg

I am not doing too great here. Luckily I have a lot of strategic reserves. Portugal and Aragon join the war, Portugal catches my army in Andalucia without general. I win, but only just. After that, I reenforce my army there.
EU3_61.jpg

Meanwhile, as infamy is about to reach 0, I make peace with the Ming and get three provinces from them.
EU3_62.jpg

In September 1677, Estland, Livland and Riga's indian province have fallen, therefore it is possible to vassalize them.
EU3_66.jpg

Mission accomplished, 2 infamy lost.

EU3_67.jpg

The next mission is Convert Bavaria, the only kind of mission I allow myself to cancel. Instead, I get the mission "Vassalize Crimea" - well, a great mission.
EU3_70.jpg

Meanwhile, the annoying Savoy stack is routed in Cremona.
EU3_72.jpg

By October 1677, we get the edge in Muscowy, thanks also to the help of our local allies Tver and Murom, and we begin carpet sieging. But the winter is approaching.
EU3_74.jpg

In Yaroslavl, the last surviving Muscowy stack is routed.
EU3_76.jpg

The Swiss stack had escaped to Lothringen and at last we catch it there.
EU3_78.jpg

Europe in December 1677.
EU3_79.jpg

We peace Bulgaria and Aragon. An event makes us gain 1 Innovative. As we are running low on infamy we declare war on Makassar - their provinces will also help us placing merchants in Malakka.
EU3_85.jpg

After some pingponging, we rout the last Swiss stack in Konstanz. By June 1678, we expand our sphere of influence and get Awsa from Adal and annex Makassar.
EU3_97.jpg

EU3_98.jpg

1677-1680: War with Muscowy, Portugal, Switzerland, Ming, Adal.... (2)

Switzerland is also peaced for 227 ducats.
EU3_99.jpg

We survive the Russian winter, retreating some troops. In September 1678, we declare war on Crimea, to fulfill our mission. But Polotsk joins the war too.
EU3_101.jpg

Their first stack is defeated in Polotsk.
EU3_104.jpg

We lose overextension for a month, but we soon get it again. December 1678.
EU3_114.jpg

In January 1679, we peace Muscowy. We convert them to Catholicism among other things - let's see if zealots pop up. We also cut them in two, releasing Yaroslavl.
EU3_116.jpg

In February 1679, Crimea is vassalized - Mission accomplished.
EU3_118.jpg

The next mission is improve relations with Persia. We peace Brabant and Cologne, who by now are both middle-sized countries. Interesting how things develop in a Central Europe without HRE.
EU3_125.jpg

The war with Polotsk goes well, we destroy their second stack as well.
EU3_131.jpg

In May 1679, at last, all of Savoy is occupied.
EU3_132.jpg

Therefore, we expand our sphere of influence again. We peace the Oirat Horde and annex Savoy. All of their provinces are Lombard, but only Piemont and Cuneo are Italian Cores.
EU3_139.jpg

We peace Portugal - they pay 143 ducats. We hire a master of mint and peace Polotsk, who also becomes Catholic.
EU3_149.jpg

Now that we are at peace with everybody and I have some infamy to spend, I release Bihar. Three of their four provinces are Catholic by now, so the released Bihar is a catholic Republican Dictatorship.
EU3_152.jpg

We will not be sending merchants to Bihar now, who was a tough COT for us because our presence there is scanty. In February 1630, Overextension goes away and we get the East Indian Trade Route again ! All good news, but in the meantime the WE has reached 11.51. Not sure why I have such a big problem with WE, but at least part of the problems are the big forts - many are level 3 by now - and having to deal with big stacks. I might have to fight less wars at the same time in the future, it isn't working out well.
EU3_153.jpg

Now I have a dilemma - infamy is almost 0 again. But high WE means I should stay at peace to give it a chance to go down. To peace or to war ?
In the meantime, I figure that even with pretty high WE I can afford to annex one Italian core. Parma is diplo-annexed in February 1680.
EU3_155.jpg

Meanwhile, this is my advisor team.
EU3_158.jpg

I am doing ok technologically. I can take a good decision - Gold Standard, which reduces inflation by 0.04. I guess this is a no-brainer.
EU3_161.jpg

Meanwhile, the relations with Persia have improved and I get the next mission - Improve relations with Transylvania. The very good news is : even with 2 stability and 80% prestige, I am now making more than 30k ducats a year. That is where I want to be.
EU3_166.jpg

EU3_170.jpg

I will be probably looking for a small-scale war to get some infamy and prestige, while not having to stay at war for a long time.
The Italian empire in May 1680.

EU3_MAP_ITA_1680.5.2_1.jpg

EU3_MAP_ITA_1680.5.2_2.jpg

Last edited:
Not to play down your accomplishments here, but my favourite thing about that was how Switzerland who have barely expanded beyond their natural borders, held their own fairly well against a world-spanning behamoth who owns roughly half the globe and was in the end brought down by the billion vassals you have carpet bombing them with seiges.

Yeah, Switzerland is awesome.

Yeah, small-scale war sounds good in this situation.

Gold Standard is very nice but, considering that you still have some inflation, you should be careful about it now. If inflation hits 10 while you have Gold Standard you get an ugly event where you lose the modifier and get a stab hit and a lot of inflation, best to avoid that. ;)

Not to play down your accomplishments here, but my favourite thing about that was how Switzerland who have barely expanded beyond their natural borders, held their own fairly well against a world-spanning behamoth who owns roughly half the globe and was in the end brought down by the billion vassals you have carpet bombing them with seiges.

Yeah, Switzerland is awesome.

I agree Switzerland did good, but I wasn't exactly throwing everything I had at them :)

1680-1681 : A look at the economy and a quick tribal conquest.

Now let's have a look at the economy. My biggest source of income are the tariffs.
EU3_171.jpg

Of course, ships are a requirement for that. I have been over the force limit for navies for as far back as I can remember.
EU3_172.jpg

My bonuses double the tariffs, let's look at a random province overseas.
EU3_173.jpg

Production is also a good source of income, a well developed province is Ferrara for instance.
EU3_198.jpg

Görz is one of the towns where I am building ships.
EU3_176.jpg

While Liguria, for instance, is a town which is giving a lot of taxes.
EU3_177.jpg

Of course, for building that many buildings in Divine Wind you need a lot of magistrates.
EU3_178.jpg

Trade buildings, especially marketplaces, are the buildings we build most often, whereever we need to improve the chances to place merchants.
EU3_179.jpg

If we look at all of the list of the COTS, in the first page, all of the COTs belong to us. Lübeck is our vassal. But why does Bar have a monopoly in Venice ?
EU3_180.jpg

Well, I would not worry about that, merchants will come soon.
EU3_181.jpg

Colonization is also an important issue, we have a lot of colonists as well.
EU3_182.jpg

Meanwhile, we improve our relations with Transylvania and we get our next mission : build a level 2 fort in Berbera.
In February 1681, we are back to stability 3 and in May 1681, we declare war on Oyo and Congo. As I said, I need low intensity wars to get some infamy to burn and that will not create WE. From now on, I will fight fewer wars at a time.
EU3_189.jpg

In fact, in June 1681, i can annex Oyo - for little infamy, because of the Colonial Conquest Casus Belli.
EU3_192.jpg

In August 1681, we can annex Congo. The war is over, and we can go back to burn WE.
EU3_194.jpg

The fort 2 has been built in Berbera and we get the next mission - conquer Bern.
EU3_195.jpg

How the hell am I going to do that ? Bern is the capital. Anyway, war exhaustion is 9.28.
EU3_196.jpg

Ouch, tricky mission: you can't isolate the cap ( it literally borders all their provinces except the more western one ), you can't liberate much of the Swiss territory, if any at all ( Sundgau , maybe ? ) ... so, unless someone goes crazy on the Swiss and grabs a handful of their provinces to allow you to annex the rest ( but who ? The French ? ), you will need to gobble all of the Switzerland to get Bern. Imperialism CB FTW ?

Last edited:
Ouch, tricky mission: you can't isolate the cap ( it literally borders all their provinces except the more western one ), you can't liberate much of the Swiss territory, if any at all ( Sundgau , maybe ? ) ... so, unless someone goes crazy on the Swiss and grabs a handful of their provinces to allow you to annex the rest ( but who ? The French ? ), you will need to gobble all of the Switzerland to get Bern. Imperialism CB FTW ?

Yeah, the Imperialism CB would work, but I would need to get several uncored provinces first and possibly risk overextension again. Only around 1687 will several provinces core and I will be able to do that with impunity. But I have a truce with Switzerland till 1683 anyway.

This is a mission which will take a while to accomplish.

Last edited:
Yeah, small-scale war sounds good in this situation.

Gold Standard is very nice but, considering that you still have some inflation, you should be careful about it now. If inflation hits 10 while you have Gold Standard you get an ugly event where you lose the modifier and get a stab hit and a lot of inflation, best to avoid that. ;)

That's very good to know. But luckily my economy is pretty strong and I won't probably will need to mint, all the more now with a Master of Mint, National Bank, Tax Assessor, high Centralization and Gold Standard :)

Last edited: