• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Funny, I didn't even know that you don't get to pick a candidate in Republican Dictatorship (which makes sense, I guess). I suppose I've never gone the republic route in a game where I wanted to have Imperialism.

Interesting that Pskov is the trading powerhouse minor here, not exactly one of the usual suspects. That trade efficiency is through the roof compared to other nations at this point.

In fact, I was expecting to be able to choose my candidate - but as you said, it makes sense.
I guess Pskov would be a great vassal :)

1659-1661 : Manufactory in Espirito Santo Queued - Cabinet as NI

Great Britain acquires a couple of provinces from Scotland by July 1659
EU3_193.jpg

If I remember correctly, we are now colonizing 11 horde provinces. That is probably not going to help us with overextension. But what should I do ?
EU3_194.jpg

We are expanding in North America as well, where we got a new point of contact with Portugal.
EU3_195.jpg

In August 1660, we can choose a new National Idea. We opt for cabinet.
By now, we could get rid also of Unam Sanctam (we have the Imperialism casus belli, which makes the Cleansing of Heresy casus belli redundant). I will wait for 30 production and I will take the 20% production bonus NI.
EU3_200.jpg

By October 1660, Spain has been eaten by Castille, Aragon and Granada.
EU3_201.jpg

Castilla has also grabbed several Spanish colonies.
EU3_203.jpg

France has gotten fairly strong - they have around 100k soldiers, but no colonies that I know of.
EU3_204.jpg

But Great Britain for some reason has very little troops. We support revolts there to give them some headaches.
EU3_205.jpg

In March 1661, we queue a Naval Manufactory in Espirito Santo, to accomplish our current mission.
EU3_206.jpg

This is our balance sheet in March 1661. Production Level 30 is our next priority, but regrettably I don't know how to get rid of overextension yet.
EU3_207.jpg

Portugal has colonies in the Pacific too. And in Madagascar.
EU3_210.jpg

That's why Portugal is going to be our next war. War will be declared on Castille (they have some colonies) and Lorraine (they have a COT) as well.
EU3_208.jpg

Heh, gotta love that "Castilian Spain" in Africa...

Heh, gotta love that "Castilian Spain" in Africa...
Indeed.
I wonder, if it would be meaningful to prevent the release of the country that initiated the union (i.e. Spain formed by Castile cannot release Castile but Aragon. Aragon-formed Spain would then be able to release Castile, though)

When are you going to reannex the Indian vassals, btw, if ever?

Indeed.
I wonder, if it would be meaningful to prevent the release of the country that initiated the union (i.e. Spain formed by Castile cannot release Castile but Aragon. Aragon-formed Spain would then be able to release Castile, though)

Anyway, I actually made Portugal release Castilla - not Spain - here.

I don't think I am going to reannex the Indian vassals - probably not as long as there are other countries to conquer and vassalize.

Indeed.

Sorry to continue offtop, but I think that it is a good way to represent civil wars in a country. It's much more better then the current rebels, because the "released" country can form armies and so on. And no matter which one gets the upper hand eventually, if Spain wins it wins, if Castille wins, it reforms into Spain. What should happen is that the 2 factions would have a permanent CB with each other and no infamy for taking cores of the other one.

I had a game once where, at the same time, both England Great Britain, both Rev. France and France, both Germany and the German minor who made it existed simultaneously - and it was quite fun, as England was released by me and Rev. France revolted, vassalised and given Paris, whereas England and France proper were colonial empires with no princes in Europe :p

1661-1663 : War wit Portugal, Castille, Lorraine and Iraq

In June 1661, war is declared on Castille, Portugal and Lorraine. Some of their allies join their war, notably Granada and Aragon.
EU3_215.jpg

One of the first moves is obviously grab the Portuguese colonies in the Pacific.
EU3_217.jpg

After several naval engagements the enemy's fleets are destroyed.
In July 1661, we declare war on Iraq. Portugal's army is routed in Alentejo.
EU3_227.jpg

Granada's army is routed in Andalucia.
EU3_241.jpg

We peace Aragon. We defeat the Swiss in Barrois and rout the Castillian in Cantabria.
EU3_247.jpg

By December 1661, we are carpet-sieging Iberia.
EU3_251.jpg

We are also invading the Portuguese North America.
EU3_257.jpg

We declare war on the Cherokee. We seize other Portuguese colonies, like Guam and the Solomon islands.
EU3_261.jpg

Meanwhile, we keep expanding to the east.
EU3_263.jpg

Situation in September 1662.
EU3_264.jpg

Castillian Spain is also occupied.
EU3_265.jpg

After adding Bar to our sphere of influence, in December 1662, we annex Iraq - who had the provinces Mosul and Sharizhor.
EU3_269.jpg

Castille has to cede their African provinces. Now Tangiers is connected to Cape.
EU3_270.jpg

Switzerland and Granada are also peaced. Regrettably, because of an event, we gain 1 serfdom - as of now, Stability would take 2 years to recover.
EU3_274.jpg

In February 1663, Portugal cedes the provinces they owned in North America.
EU3_276.jpg

Madagascar is also part of the deal.
EU3_277.jpg

In April 1663, Cherokee is annexed.
EU3_278.jpg

Europe in June 1663. Lothringen hasn't fallen yet.
EU3_280.jpg

Funji had declared war on us and is peaced. Other provinces defect to us.
EU3_282.jpg

In September 1663, at last, we can vassalize Lorraine and all of our objectives are reached. Now it is time to wait for WE and infamy to go down.
EU3_286.jpg

1663-1668 : Expanding to the East

In September 1663, we discover another Portuguese colony in North America.
EU3_290.jpg

There is a short war with Bali and Baluchistan.
A nasty event makes us lose 5565 ducats, which we manage to pay after some minting.
EU3_299.jpg

We are colonizing Eastern Sibiria, a Portugal colony pops up there.
EU3_301.jpg

In June 1664, at last, we reach the Oirat Horde. Situation in Asia in August 1664.
EU3_305.jpg

In March 1666, at last, a naval manufactory is built in Espirito Santo. Mission accomplished.
EU3_310.jpg

The next mission will be to conquer Xuan Fu - and get a core on it.
EU3_314.jpg

Europe in March 1666.
EU3_316.jpg

In August 1667, we can begin to colonize Dzungaria, that has a COT.
EU3_317.jpg

In January 1668, a ugly event gives us a negative tax and trade modifier. The alternative would be much worse, -1 stability and -8000 ducats. We still have overextension.
EU3_320.jpg

In February 1668, we get a core on Somogy (Poland) through a border dispute.
Wars with Ming, Poland and Portugal are therefore in the air, since by now WE is exhausted.

Are there any higher nations you can form?

I wonder how you stay motivated continuing, there is really nothing that poses a risk to Venice at this point?

I wonder how you stay motivated continuing, there is really nothing that poses a risk to Venice at this point?

Well, I am not as motivated as before, in fact the update frequency has decreased. But I really would like to finish this AAR and port it to Victoria 2, in one way or another.

though he managed to find a rather impossible mission for himself: make his Empire 'AI proof' (ie: giving control to the AI won't cause Venice to collapse)

In fact, one of my original plans was to have two parts for this AAR, "Venice" and "Against Venice", where the second part would be a Nation hopping AAR where I would try and fight back the Venice superpower. But left to her own devices, Venice implodes, so I am not sure I will be doing that.

My inspiration would have been the Comics Dago.

Last edited:
In fact, one of my original plans was to have two parts for this AAR, "Venice" and "Against Venice", where the second part would be a Nation hopping AAR where I would try and fight back the Venice superpower. But left to her own devices, Venice implodes, so I am not sure I will be doing that.

My inspiration would have been the Comics Dago.

I see......when will it be possible to see a rebellion in the americas defying the doge's supremacy? Would such a new nation be able to hold it's own against Venice?

I see......when will it be possible to see a rebellion in the americas defying the doge's supremacy? Would such a new nation be able to hold it's own against Venice?

It would be 1750, but those rebels are unlikely to be a problem unless the mother country is weakened.

Well, I am not as motivated as before, in fact the update frequency has decreased. But I really would like to finish this AAR and port it to Victoria 2, in one way or another.

Hang in there and keep going - knowing you finished an AAR properly is a good feeling :)

Hang in there and keep going - knowing you finished an AAR properly is a good feeling :)

Thank you for the encouragement, I will definitely finish this AAR :)

Can we get a diplomatic map as zoomed out as possible? I would like to see where all of your vassals are.

Yes, in the next update