• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Your strategy is pretty cruel, sitting on all those nations while waiting for infamy room! :D

I have added some house rules, which so far I followed implicitly, as far as I can remember.
  • Mission "Fund Patriot / Nationalist / Pretender" is not allowed. Mission "Support Revolt" is allowed , though. I think I never used the "Fund *" mission. I am pretty sure no province has defected to Venice after a revolt.
  • If at the time of the conquest of a province a vassal has a core on it, and Venice doesn't, the province must be sold to the vassal at the first opportunity. Pretty sure I always followed this. Istria wasn't ceded to Croatia because Croatia became a vassal after we got Istria.
  • No war without CB. Pretty sure I followed this too
  • No war when troops are inside of the enemy's territory. I didn't even know that was possible.

I have also thought of a victory condition

Venice must control all COTs, either directly or through vassalage

Last edited:
Your strategy is pretty cruel, sitting on all those nations while waiting for infamy room! :D

:eek: I like to think that the people in the occupied provinces enjoy the illuminated rule of Venice and will miss us when we are gone.

1605-1606 : War with Portugal and Persia. Unam Sanctam.

In December 1605, we declare war on Portugal to try and get the colonies in Madagascar, before they become cities.
Portugal is allied to Switzerland who joins the war as well.
EU3_326.jpg

Meanwhile, in North America the Portuguese colonies have become visible.
EU3_330.jpg

Two other provinces defect in the East. Astrakhan declares independence from the Netherlands.
EU3_335.jpg

... as can better be seen in this map.
EU3_336.jpg

The Swiss entered into Würrtemberg and we defeat them there.
EU3_343.jpg

We rout them in Breisgau.
EU3_344.jpg

The Portuguese had colonized the Andamans as well. We didn't notice it, but Ryuku does. They seize the colony.
EU3_348.jpg

Scotland is at war with Great Britain and is losing. We give them war subsidies, but that might not be enough.
EU3_355.jpg

Portugal has around 50k soldiers in the Iberian peninsula. Even with our support, we are outnumbered there.
We should have kept Aragon and Navarra out of this war.
EU3_356.jpg

As nothing is to be gained from a war with Switzerland, we peace them. We make them release Baden.
EU3_360.jpg

In July 1606, we have seized Portugal's colonies in Madagascar.
EU3_361.jpg

We peace Portugal. We give them 25 ducats, so the war is technically lost. We had a positive war score, thanks to the blockade, but in the Iberian Peninsula we were outnumbered.
EU3_362.jpg

As a consequence, we lose the title of the DoTF. It is not a problem, since we have a border with Ming, Persia and Bihar. And we will soon have the NI "Unam Sanctam".
EU3_370.jpg

As Persia is also active against the Timurids, we declare war on them.
EU3_371.jpg

So this is a diplomatic map of Asia in August 1606. We have now a lot of uncored provinces connected to the capital, which might lead to overextension if I elect a leader with low administration skills.
Our current doge has 9 administration skill. I will need to count the provinces.
It is pretty obvious, though, that a land connection to India would lead to overextension even with our current doge and will have to wait till most of the provinces are cored there.
EU3_373.jpg

The main Persian stack is beaten in Kerman.
EU3_376.jpg

In November 1606, Gov Tech 25 is researched. It is God's will that we choose Unam Sanctam as a national idea.
EU3_382.jpg

Shortly after that, we get notified that now we have a casus belli against all heretics and infidels.
EU3_384.jpg

We will now be sending colonists only to our current colonies in the Horde territories. To fulfill our mission, we will have to cancel the vassalage of Ragusa, and that will stop our wars with the Hordes.
War may be declared soon on Novgorod and Polotsk using the new Casus Belli, to slow down their colonization of the Hordes.
EU3_386.jpg

But it is the situation in Great Britain who needs to be taken care of. Scotland needs our help.
EU3_388.jpg

Last edited:
1606-1607 : Third war with Great Britain(1)

We then declare war on Great Britain, using the colonialism casus belli.
EU3_389.jpg

We count the provinces. Connected to Venice there are 38 cored provinces and 35 uncored provinces, as far as I can tell. We are at great risk of overextension.
EU3_1.jpg

We attack the British colony in North America.
EU3_2.jpg

On the 5th of January, Scotland makes peace with GB. Is it because of us ?
EU3_3.jpg

We lose both of our colonies in Madagascar that we stole from the Portuguese - to natives. Our war with Portugal was useless.
EU3_9.jpg

In April, our troops begin gathering in Scotland.
EU3_18.jpg

Soon the British troops meet us. Reinforcements are under way.
EU3_27.jpg

It looks like we are going to be outnumbered...
EU3_32.jpg

But more and more of our troops come. In the end, we win the day, also thanks to our god-like general.
EU3_38.jpg

Situation in Persia in May 1607.
EU3_40.jpg

The retreating British troop split. One stack is routed in Lancashire.
EU3_42.jpg

I am not sure why, but we get overextension. Do occupied provinces count ?
EU3_44.jpg

We therefore peace Persia, taking care not to connect our Persian provinces to our bulk.
EU3_45.jpg

By now, it would actually be pretty easy to connect India to Venice, but we won't do that.
EU3_46.jpg

Overextension goes away in July. So occupied provinces do somehow count. Meanwhile we lay siege to the German OPMs who are at war with us. Maybe we can get some cash out of them.
EU3_52.jpg

The last surviving British stack is wiped out in Kent. Carpet sieging time.
EU3_55.jpg

In August 1607, most of Britain is under siege.
EU3_58.jpg

And again, we get overextension. I am not sure why it happens.
Regrettably, our doge dies. We choose an administrative one - to have a chance against overextension. He turns out to be a great diplomat as well.
EU3_64.jpg

By December 1607, Moose Cree, in America, falls.
The towns in Britain also fall pretty quickly.
EU3_68.jpg

In Asia, the province of Ferghana defects to us.
EU3_70.jpg

1608-1609 : Third war with Great Britain(2)

The spare colonists now are used to colonize South America...
Meissen is peaced for 25 ducats after the town falls. Anothar Asian province, Kashmir, defects to us.
Situation in Asia in April 1608
EU3_76.jpg

and in Europe.
EU3_78.jpg

and in the world. It is never too late to learn how to take these screenshots.
EU3_MAP_VEN_1608.4.10_2.jpg

Venice-only.
EU3_MAP_VEN_1608.4.10_1.jpg

We engage the British troops in Sweden
EU3_79.jpg

In May, overextension goes away. No idea.
EU3_80.jpg

In July, Samarkand defects to us.
EU3_85.jpg

In September 1608, overextension comes back. We peace Great Britain. We get a colony out of them, Moose Cree.
EU3_90.jpg

So this is how Britain looks in September 1608
EU3_91.jpg

Qazbah defects to us. Meanwhile, Denmark, Algiers and some other little countries have declared war on Britain.
EU3_93.jpg

I think I found the reason why I get in and out of overextension. When rebels pop up in Imereti, Erserum, Mus or Adana, they block the only path to the provinces in the Caucasus who become overseas provinces for a short while.
EU3_95.jpg

In fact, in December 1608, after getting rid of the rebels in Erserum, overextension comes back. The Netherlands go bankrupt again, but this is hardly news.
EU3_99.jpg

In January 1609 Mugan defects to us - and we lose overextension. But where are the rebels ?
EU3_103.jpg

We therefore cancel the vassalization of Ragusa and immediately all wars with the Hordes finish. We make Alsace pay 275 ducats for being so cocky.
EU3_104.jpg

I want to find out if peacing Bavaria will help us with overextension - even if I will have a bad reputation for a short while. We get Konstanz, Schwaben and 1275 ducats. The provinces will be ceded to Württemberg, since they have a core on both provinces (House Rule).
EU3_105.jpg

We get a core on Sierra Leone. Ragusa breaks the alliance with us. Good, so we can immediately declare war on them.
In March 1609, we force-convert them to Catholic.
EU3_111.jpg

Mission accomplished. We were supposed to lose 2 infamy, but it doesn't happen! This really sucks. Next mission is convert the province Sarai, a missionary is already active there.
EU3_112.jpg

Anyway, we sell the provinces Konstanz and Schwaben to Württemberg.
EU3_113.jpg

In April 1609, Great Britain loses the provinces in Scandinavia - to Denmark.
EU3_114.jpg

Maybe we will see Britain collapse this time. We supported some revolts.
EU3_115.jpg

Oh the indignity - the Great British and Netherlands empires reduced to shadows of their former selves. All to Venetian glory, of course.

What do you plan to do about the non-reduction of infamy from successfully completing the mission? Go back to a previous save? Manually reduce the infmay by 2 in the save file or just carry on? If you keep your Def of the Faith, you'll get a mission to convert Styria by the sword, sooner or later. I hope you'll diploannex - soonest. Shame about Madagascar. Those pesky natives will require the sword before fresh colonists are sent. I'd like to see the European, Africa and Asian parts of the Venetian empire united. Then retrace the steps of Marco Polo all the way to China.

Finally GB is burning down again ;)

What are you going to down? Are you going to refrain your expansion to avoid overextension or you have some cores coming out soon? India still needs some more cleaning, you still need to put the Russians in order and China escaped somewhat unharmed from your clutches ...

Oh the indignity - the Great British and Netherlands empires reduced to shadows of their former selves. All to Venetian glory, of course.

What do you plan to do about the non-reduction of infamy from successfully completing the mission? Go back to a previous save? Manually reduce the infmay by 2 in the save file or just carry on? If you keep your Def of the Faith, you'll get a mission to convert Styria by the sword, sooner or later. I hope you'll diploannex - soonest. Shame about Madagascar. Those pesky natives will require the sword before fresh colonists are sent. I'd like to see the European, Africa and Asian parts of the Venetian empire united. Then retrace the steps of Marco Polo all the way to China.

Well, I'll just keep on playing. Better not to play with save games... . But from now on, I'll feel entitled to cancel (or fail) this kind of mission.

Finally GB is burning down again ;)

What are you going to down? Are you going to refrain your expansion to avoid overextension or you have some cores coming out soon? India still needs some more cleaning, you still need to put the Russians in order and China escaped somewhat unharmed from your clutches ...

Regrettably, the provinces will take a while to core - expansion has to stall. Ming and Novgorod are definitely on my todo list...

Overextension sometimes seems to be a bit unpredictable - you can get it and lose it at the most surprising times. I just ignore it when it becomes difficult to keep under control. :p

I like how that world map shows your naval focus.

Overextension sometimes seems to be a bit unpredictable - you can get it and lose it at the most surprising times. I just ignore it when it becomes difficult to keep under control. :p

I like how that world map shows your naval focus.

Thank you :)
I would like if there was a way to see when I am about to overextend though, a cored / uncored rate for provinces who are not overseas.

Nice possible material for the raaaage thread - last month of the game "Sire, a wild CoT appeared in the middle of a non controlled blob. You lose :trollface:" "fuuuuuuuu...!"

It is more meant to be this way : When Venice owns all COTs, the game is over. Or in 1821 :)

1609-1610 : War with Novgorod and Ming (1)

A map of Europe in April 1609
EU3_117.jpg

In July 1609, Portugal peaces Great Britain. Great Britain has to cede the Orkneys and the province in Norway.
EU3_121.jpg

In August 1609, we declare war on Novgorod. They were allied with Muscowy and Finland, but they don't answer the call.
EU3_123.jpg

We declare war on the Ming as well.
EU3_124.jpg

We destroy their fleet, first things first.
EU3_126.jpg

And defeat their first army.
EU3_128.jpg

Soon, the crusade effect kicks in. Regrettably, our doge dies and we have to elect a new one. We choose the bureaucrat candidat....
But he turns out to be a 5 Adm doge !
EU3_134.jpg

And as expected, we get overextension again. Luckily we are a republic, so we will get a chance to elect a new doge in 4 years. But he becomes a general anyway, a decent one. Maybe he will die....
EU3_136.jpg

We have no direct border with Novgorod, but get military access from Muscowy and Polotsk, which will give us some strategic possibilities.
EU3_139.jpg

We blockade Novgorod's ports, while our allies Leinster and Cornwall make a landfall.
EU3_140.jpg

By January 1610, several small stacks have landed in the Ming territory.
EU3_146.jpg

We move our national focus to Edirne and we build a COT in Thrace. Athens was our biggest COT and it needed a split.
EU3_158.jpg

In March 1610, we defeat another major Chinese stack.
EU3_162.jpg

Juggling with attrition is the major challenge in the Hostile chinese territory.
EU3_165.jpg

It is also a challenge in Russia. We are now siegeing three provinces in Novgorod. Reinforcements have come also by ship, through Sweden and Lithuania.
EU3_166.jpg

In April, we lose the effect of trading in Grain. Not sure why...
Meanwhile France is blobbing - she is now the second biggest economy in the game. Hmrr....
EU3_172.jpg

Novgorod peaces the Golden Horde - this is great news. But they are still occupying a province in the Kazakh.
EU3_175.jpg

By May 1610, Rzhev, Smolensk, Vologda and Vetluga are under siege.
EU3_178.jpg

While the Chinese provinces keep falling. The last surviving Ming stacks have been wiped out.
EU3_181.jpg

By July 1610, several Novgorod provinces have fallen as well.
EU3_193.jpg

1610-1611 : War with Novgorod and Ming (2)

November 1610 in Russia....
EU3_198.jpg

and in China.
EU3_204.jpg

In January 1611, we get another border with Spain - thanks to their peace with Adal.
EU3_211.jpg

In February 1611, we have made further progress in China.
EU3_213.jpg

In this month, though, Spain declares war on Grenada. We therefore immediately declare war on Spain.
EU3_216.jpg

Meanwhile, the Novgorod capital falls.
EU3_218.jpg

We discover Naval Tech 23.
Portugal is at war with lot of countries : France, Spain, Bohemia.
EU3_225.jpg

Meanwhile, Protestant zealots seize a province in the new world. Hadn't happened for a while.
EU3_227.jpg

Our god-like general Dolfin wins the day for us in Vetluga before reinforcements come.
EU3_232.jpg

Situation in Russia in April 1611.
EU3_234.jpg

... and in China.
EU3_237.jpg

By May 1611, Novgorod loses other provinces.
EU3_248.jpg

We are also fighting Spain, but this is hardly a problem, since Spain is at war with Portugal, Granada, Aragon and Navarra and is hopelessly outnumbered in Iberia !
EU3_255.jpg

In June 1611, the Novgorodian stack is wiped out in Viatka,.
EU3_262.jpg

We have landed a couple of stacks in Iberia to finish the war.
EU3_264.jpg

In July 1611, something unpleasant happens. A new COT pops up in Cyprus, who even dares trading in our provinces. Not now, though...
EU3_267.jpg

In August 1611, we peace the Ming. 2000 ducats and three provinces. It is hard to resist the tentations of some ducats....
EU3_269.jpg

We peace the Novgorod as well we get spammed by declarations of independence. No provinces, our goal is just making Novgorod weaker.
EU3_270.jpg

So this is, in fact, the situation after the war.
EU3_272.jpg

It turns out that Cyprus is not the only foreign COT who is trading in Venice's provinces. Andalusia is, too. Maybe it is time to change that...
EU3_273.jpg