• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
that map is not so bad.

as I see the Castilians' main problem was probably not the actual size of that Mamluk army but the general of it with his 6 fire and 5 shock pips.

:) the Mamluks tend to have really good generals.

Might I suggest that it's time to let the Castilians carry their own load? A Castilian Africa doesn't really help you all that much.
Yeah, I am considering that , but Castille isn't bothering me (yet) and I am actually happy if they expand into Africa, that means they are ignoring America.

that map is not so bad.

as I see the Castilians' main problem was probably not the actual size of that Mamluk army but the general of it with his 6 fire and 5 shock pips.

:) the Mamluks tend to have really good generals.
Oh, didn't notice that, luckily Venice has very high morale

Yeah. Just a prophylactic there. Now that they own a lot of worthless African land, make them quagmire in it so they don't have any hope of getting involved in the more profitable America.

1478-1479 : Second war with the Incas

Meanwhile, the truce with the Incas is also running out, so it is time to pay them another visit. I'll take two 6k stacks there by boat.

EU3_1054.jpg

and circumnavigate South America.

EU3_1055.jpg

I position my two fleets north and south, so that I will take them into a pincer manover.

EU3_1056.jpg

EU3_1057.jpg

And then I go retrieve two other stacks in Mexico, who can board from the province on the Pacific ocean.

EU3_1064.jpg

Meanwhile a gift to the state is made.
EU3_1066.jpg

The two other stacks land in Peru as well and we march from the North and the South
EU3_1067.jpg

EU3_1069.jpg

EU3_1070.jpg

The noose is tightened around the Inca stacks
EU3_1071.jpg

EU3_1074.jpg

EU3_1076.jpg

EU3_1080.jpg

And the last Inca stack is killed in February 1479.
They have some money for us.
EU3_1084.jpg

With 24k you should wipe the floor with the Sapa Inca.
Interesting expansion there in North America, and you won't be able to keep Castille distracted for long in Africa if my current game is any guide. They own from Algiers to Judea and are still settling Delaware.

Just read through your AAR, very entertaining. I will be following this.

With 24k you should wipe the floor with the Sapa Inca.
Interesting expansion there in North America, and you won't be able to keep Castille distracted for long in Africa if my current game is any guide. They own from Algiers to Judea and are still settling Delaware.
I am also wondering about Portugal...

1480-1483 : War with the Mupata and dealing with pirates

It seems we have a lot of money, but when you cannot mint, it will run out eventually.
Forts and improvements need to built as well. So I explore hoping to find something interesting.
The Mutapa might have some money.
EU3_1096.jpg

Infact, they have gold provinces.
EU3_1097.jpg

So a 12k spedition force is shipped to take on the Mupata.
EU3_1099.jpg

Meanwhile, we change doge again, and he turns out to be mediocre.
EU3_1100.jpg

We land in Zofala and Quelimane, and I get a surprise, these have forts.
EU3_1102.jpg

12k may not be enough, it will take forever. But I discover nav tech 9...
EU3_1106.jpg

which means that my ports are blockaded all over the place. That took me by surprise...
EU3_1110.jpg

This slows the reenforcements process to the war against the Mupatas, as I begin to deal with the new situation.
EU3_1111.jpg

But my two stacks do make some progress anyway.
EU3_1112.jpg

But around October 1481, a big Mupata stack pops out of the fog of war.
EU3_1115.jpg

and other Mupata units pop up. The situation is getting critical.
EU3_1116.jpg

I have to drop the siege in Sena to deal with the stack in Zolimane.
EU3_1118.jpg

At last reenforcements arrive and we win the battle.
EU3_1119.jpg

So we can spread a blanket of death over the Mutape, although this is going much slower than I hoped. Army maintenance during this war might turn out to be worth more than the money I will get out of the peace treaty.
EU3_1122.jpg

A second stack is dealt with.
EU3_1125.jpg

In October 1482 Barwa and Zumbo fall.
EU3_1131.jpg

Meanwhile our colonies develop.
EU3_1134.jpg

By July 1483 most of the Mutape provinces have fallen
EU3_1142.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting progress. Will be following this one.

A question though - How many colonies do you run at a time? And what spread do you have on province discovery?

Interesting progress. Will be following this one.

A question though - How many colonies do you run at a time? And what spread do you have on province discovery?
Nice. How many colonies I run depends on how much money I can and want to spare - as you can see in the last screenshot I was just running two : Essequibo and Bahia.
All settings are standard, spread on province discovery is 50 years.

Been Watching a while,
very impressed i must say :D
have you thought of colonizing South Africa?
Thank you. Maybe I'll colonize South Africa, but I am probably getting my African provinces from the Mupata first

Nice expansion. If you hadn't set up that house rule about infamy you could absorb all those native kingdoms - that'd be fun :)

Thx. I will absorb some of them.

1483-1484 : The war with the Mupata ends but wars with Inkas and Bavaria begin

Meanwhile we got called to arms to another Castille-Mameluk war
EU3_1144.jpg

The last Mutape stack is dealt with in Zanzibar
EU3_1157.jpg

Meanwhile we do some exploring, but we don't get a casus belli against India. They are not "native".
EU3_1159.jpg

In December 1483, it is time to peace the Mutapa. We get 1175 ducats and some of their gold provinces.
EU3_1161.jpg

We get involved into another war, Bavaria declared war on our ally Württemberg.
EU3_1162.jpg

EU3_1163.jpg

Bavaria has some wicked stacks and we don't have many troops in Italy. Troops will be withdrawn from Africa.
EU3_1165.jpg

But this is not a reason not to declare war on the Inca and try and get some money from them as well.
EU3_1167.jpg

We are outnumbered in München but holding our own.
EU3_1169.jpg

Not sure if I mentioned that our third national idea has been "National Bank" for a while.
Inflation is now 8.6% after several years of not minting.
Our mission is take it to less than 6%.
EU3_1171.jpg

Castilla and Mameluks make peace, so that is one front less.
EU3_1173.jpg

Troops are sorely needed in Italy, the outnumbered Venice/Tirol/Styria troops have been defeated in München
by the Bavarian troops.

EU3_1174.jpg

Luckily we are making good progress against the Incas.
EU3_1175.jpg

We manage to coordinate somewhat with the vassals' troops and we keep the Bavarians at bay,
waiting for reinforcements. Luckily for us, the Bavarian split in two stacks.
EU3_1179.jpg

Meanwhile reinforcements. are sent from Mexico into Peru as well.
EU3_1184.jpg

At home, we join the Palatinate troops fighting the Bavarians in München
EU3_1186.jpg

And beat the main Bavarian stack back.
EU3_1189.jpg

who retreats to the wrong place and gets routed.
EU3_1191.jpg

Good job with the inflation reduction, you're slowly getting there. Fortunately it's something that only gets easier as your economy improves.

Good job with the inflation reduction, you're slowly getting there. Fortunately it's something that only gets easier as your economy improves.

Thank you, I hope so

1484-1486 : The wars with Bavaria and Inca end

In Inca the war is nearing the end
EU3_1198.jpg

And the second Bavarian stack is defeated in Niederbayern. We saw they engaged the Augsburg/Styria troops and we went there to help

EU3_1197.jpg

EU3_1199.jpg

Through an event I gain 1 "innovative" because I don't like punishing heretics ... Venice never did that AFAIK.
But that means our colonies grow ever more slowly. And we lose 1 stability.
EU3_1200.jpg

Meanwhile England is blobbing in France as well. Worrying.
EU3_1203.jpg

But our income is still the highest in the world. Now there is a "Great Britain" though.
EU3_1204.jpg

The second Bavarian stack is routed in Salzburg.
EU3_1206.jpg

We are making progress in Peru.
EU3_1208.jpg

And we make peace with Bavaria. The war ends with status quo. We start building a Home Army, in case we need to fight defensive wars in Europe. Armories will be built in the core Venetian provinces, in case regiments need to be recruited quickly.
EU3_1209.jpg

A new doge is elected.
EU3_1210.jpg

Conversion efforts are under way in Africa as well and a theologian is hired. At last, in October 1484, the last Inca stack is defeated.
EU3_1218.jpg

And peace is made in November 1484. Since the Inca have little money left (425 ducats) they have to cede provinces as well - gold provinces.
EU3_1221.jpg

So this is a map of South America at the end of 1484.
EU3_1222.jpg

And the Advancement of True Religion Act is passed, speeding conversion.
EU3_1223.jpg

And conversions are soon successful : in Sofala.
It turns out we are not "naval" enough - we are over the force limits in ships but not in troops. Meanwhile, the weakened Bavaria is now at war with Bohemia. Bohemia may need another beating sooner or later.
EU3_1231.jpg

In September 1485, our stability is restored, but our conquistador Polani dies.
Meanwhile, we explore to increase our navy tradition and looking for targets.
EU3_1245.jpg

Last edited: