• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1470-1471 : The vassalization of Siena

Meanwhile we get called to arms in a war against Morocco from Castille

moro_1.jpg

and the cruasade effects kick in again
moro_2.jpg

We move on to the next mission : vassalize Siena. Who is allied with Bosnia and in the empire. War is declared
siena_11.jpg

Our allies take care of Bosnia
siena_12.jpg

We take part in the fighting in Africa
moro_4.jpg

moro_5.jpg

And of course, Siena is not a problem

siena_15.jpg

Siena is conquered
siena_16.jpg

and vassalized on the 12th April 1471, losing 2 infamy
siena_17.jpg

1471-1472 : Bahia colonized and a really nasty mission

The next mission is also pleasant : colonize Bahia. I was going to do that anyway
bahia_1.jpg

Meanwhile, we "discover" the Incas.
inca_1.jpg

Hungary ends up dismembered after being excommunicated and losing a war.
hunsu_1.jpg

And in December 1471 the provinces who once belonged to Aquileia become our cores as well.
core_1.jpg

And the Austrians become our loyal subjects.
au_1.jpg

In April 1472 Bahia is colonized and we get a colonist

bahia_2.jpg

But the next mission is really nasty. "Restore the currency" - that is take the inflation to less than 6%. My inflation is now over 10% - I knew that was going to catch up with me sooner or later.

infl_2.jpg

infl_4.jpg

infl_5.jpg

or bring it flowers .... :)

...or take it to a cinema perhaps.

Restore The Currency, eh? that's something not-quite-straightforward at last :) you could try moving the slider towards Free Subjects for the 'Better Administration' event - that's -2% inflation IIRC though only 33% chance fort it. otherwise it seems National Bank and Masters of Mint are you're new best friends.
:)

...or take it to a cinema perhaps.

Restore The Currency, eh? that's something not-quite-straightforward at last :) you could try moving the slider towards Free Subjects for the 'Better Administration' event - that's -2% inflation IIRC though only 33% chance fort it. otherwise it seems National Bank and Masters of Mint are you're new best friends.

Yeah I'll try that, but it is not going to be very fun :(

1472-1473 : First war with the Incas

Since I need a lot of cash to afford stop minting, I decide to go plunder the poor Incas.
inca_11.jpg

I assumed I would win very quickly with 12k men
inca_13.jpg

... but I am afraid to split my men and the Incas keep reoccupying the provinces back

inca_15.jpg

Meanwhile I try a new doge, hoping to get one with ADM lvl 9 that can reduce 1 inflation with an event, but I get one who totally sucks
dogein_1.jpg

At last I rout one of the stacks
inca_18.jpg
a
But since I don't seem to be able to win quickly, I make a favorable peace and next time I'll take more men with me - 1400 ducats are not too shabby and I know they have more.
inca_19.jpg

What cav units are you using ? You should be still able to build Charge cav in the ex-Morrocan provinces , that are extremely good for those raids for cash in the Americas ....

BTW have you considered to change mission ? You had 96 prestige in the screen with it and it was foreseable that the Incan war would give you more than 10 . The mission is not that good as that ( atleast compared with all of those vassal ones you got ... what is left now from your neighbours that is still to be vassaled ? Swiss, Savoy ... not much more :D )

Great going. I like how secure you've made the homeland - it's not just that your Italian holdings are getting strong, but you've also torn your neighbors apart. That's a good basis for controlling that colonial empire of yours.

BTW have you considered to change mission ?

Considering that doing missions is part of his house rules, I'd expect to see a strong effort of doing this one as well. :)

What cav units are you using ? You should be still able to build Charge cav in the ex-Morrocan provinces , that are extremely good for those raids for cash in the Americas ....

BTW have you considered to change mission ? You had 96 prestige in the screen with it and it was foreseable that the Incan war would give you more than 10 . The mission is not that good as that ( atleast compared with all of those vassal ones you got ... what is left now from your neighbours that is still to be vassaled ? Swiss, Savoy ... not much more :D )
So far I am using the Mosellem Cavalry from the Ottoman provinces, I think it is also good. I guess I just used the wrong technique there or I was confused by the fog of war, next time I will choose the easy way and just bring more men.
I am not changing mission unless it is obviously impossible, and this one isn't :) Gotta limit myself somehow since I am playing "normal" difficulty level, while many people on this forum play "very hard" and I haven't grown into that yet.
There are also Bosnia, Ragusa and Urbino who are not vassalized yet.

Last edited:
Great going. I like how secure you've made the homeland - it's not just that your Italian holdings are getting strong, but you've also torn your neighbors apart. That's a good basis for controlling that colonial empire of yours.
Yeah, I want Venice to be like historical Great Britain : divide the old continent, rule the waves and have a big colonial empire. Who needs wine when you can have furs ?

1473-1474 : Second war with the Mayas

Well of course having some spare cash means I can pay my loans.
A 6-star master of mint is hired.
advis_1.jpg

Meanwhile, it turns out that having ceded Macedonia to Byzantium prevents me now from being in direct contact with the Horde. Not sure whether it is a bug or a feature,
but vassals are not at war with the Horde even if they share a border.
horde_11.jpg

Well, let's have a look at our economy.
loans_11.jpg

income_11.jpg

Not bad, shouldn't be too hard fixing the inflation. Budget Slider --> all left. BTW we have a new COT in Mexico, which we wrestled from the Zapotecs.
emp_11.jpg

Time passes quickly and the truce with the Maya has run out. They still hold a gold province which they wrestled from the Aztec and is inside Zapotec territory.
maya_22.jpg

This is not a very interesting war of course. I don't even have full army maintenance.
maya_28.jpg

But a favorable peace is made. We get 775 ducats from them as well and the other gold province.
mays_29.jpg

I am not founding new colonies, so Rio grande quickly becomes a town. Itamaraca quickly follows. Forts need to be built here as well.
colo_11.jpg

Meanwhile we deal with Aztec patriot rebels.
maya_31.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I want Venice to be like historical Great Britain : divide the old continent, rule the waves and have a big colonial empire. Who needs wine when you can have furs ?

well you know... I still prefer wine over... er... over anything else - except beer of course :D

Not sure whether it is a bug or a feature, but vassals are not at war with the Horde even if they share a border.

I think it's actually more likely a "feature" than a bug but according to Johan it will be "fixed" in the upcoming 5.2 patch so we cannot rely upon it in the future

I think it's actually more likely a "feature" than a bug but according to Johan it will be "fixed" in the upcoming 5.2 patch so we cannot rely upon it in the future
Interesting... that should definitely be fixed though.

1475-1476 : War with Zapotecs and Shawnee

Well, now it is the Zapotec's turn. Do they have any money ?
zapo_32.jpg

Regrettably they don't, so they have to cede a province, Tarasco, where they rebuilt a COT and which has a port on the Pacific. Will be useful.
zapo_34.jpg

Meanwhile a big rebel stack pops up in Firenze
fire_1.jpg

I discover the Shawnee and I attack them as well - maybe they have some money.
shaw_2.jpg

Meanwhile we deal with the rebels in Firenze.
fire_3.jpg

We fight our way through the Shawnee.

shaw_8.jpg

We penetrate deep into their territory, but we find out they have no money as well.
shaw_14.jpg

So we just make them release the Creek and the Cherokee.
shaw_16.jpg

Meanwhile, all of our African provinces are now cored.
core_11.jpg

Darn, seems that the withdrawal attempts from the good old Native Bank weren't working properly there... At least the Incas and Mayas had some cash.

Darn, seems that the withdrawal attempts from the good old Native Bank weren't working properly there... At least the Incas and Mayas had some cash.
Yeah, I expected the Shawnee to have more, but they probably spent everything fighting the other natives. The Incas have some more, I didn't get all I could get because my war score wasn't 100%.

1477 : Short perfunctory campaign against the Mameluks

We choose a new administrative doge, he turns out to be somewhat better
doge_new.jpg

One of our advisor dies. The Hansa is excommunicated.

adv_23.jpg

Castilla declared war on the Mameluks and allies and we had to join them
cast_33.jpg

We pass the liquor act, which improves our tax efficiency
deci_1.jpg

Money is running out so I have to move the slider somewhat right. Inflation is a little down, but to get to 6% there is still a long way.
slid_1.jpg

We are not doing much to help Castilla, but our minions are, so some provinces end up being occupied by Venice.
cast_41.jpg

Meanwhile, this is the "known" new world.
map_1.jpg

We decide to show the Castillians how it is done, they seem to have a problem with a Mameluk stack.
cast_43.jpg

cast_45.jpg

EU3_1045.jpg

And at last the Castillians make peace with the Mameluks and get a couple of provinces.
EU3_1050.jpg

So this is a map of Europe at the end of 1477
EU3_1052.jpg