• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1466-1467 : Fifth war with the Ottomans and the vassalization of Serbia

We engage the Ottoman troops in Edirne.
otto_2.jpg

The Ottoman fleet gets sunk another time...
otto_5.jpg

while the Serbian army is routed in Serbia.
otto_4.jpg

Ottoman troops are defeated in Edirne.
otto_6.jpg

... and are routed in Nis.
otto_8.jpg

The blanket of doom spreads over Serbia and the the Ottoman empire.
otto_9.jpg

And after Serbia falls, we can vassalize it and therefore burn 2 infamy.
otto_10.jpg

otto_11.jpg

otto_12.jpg

The next mission will be finish the war with the Ottomans and still hold Crete. Easy enough. We'll lose another infamy point.
otto_13.jpg

otto_14.jpg

Nothing else is to be gained from this war. We have no casus belli against the Ottomans and grabbing provinces would cost us too much infamy.
otto_15.jpg

We white peace and so the next mission is fulfilled. We get another , incorporate Tuscany in our realm. Another very good and easy mission. We'll get a core on Modena.
otto_16.jpg

otto_17.jpg

Yeah, unlike historical Venice, who despised the new world. Which is sad, considering Giovanni Caboto, aka John Cabot, was from Venice.

...and Marco Polo who was also from Venice and Columbus who was also Italian (from Genoa though). it seems Italy had many adventurers and explorers in the renaissance age yet their governments didn't have the will or funds needed to sponsor them.

also: if I am winning against the Ottomans (or anybody else) but lacking a CB against them I usually have them give up cores or reduce sphere or severe ties - letting them off with a White Peace always seems like... admitting that I couldn't defeat them. but probably it's just me...
:D

also: if I am winning against the Ottomans (or anybody else) but lacking a CB against them I usually have them give up cores or reduce sphere or severe ties - letting them off with a White Peace always seems like... admitting that I couldn't defeat them. but probably it's just me...
:D

I'm exactly the same, making them drop cores means that the chance of them making a resurgence later when I'm possibly distracted is a lot lower, and the AI usually seems to have some cash to donate to the cause :p

Yes, I could have done that, but I should have fought a little longer - white peace was what the AI was willing to accept and since I was in a hurry to get to the next mission it was ok.
I need the Ottomans also as a buffer against the Golden Horde, who is rampaging through Hungary and Moldavia at the moment.

1467 : Tuscany is incorporated and new colonies are founded.

We can move a slider and this time we go centralization - we get away with a small rebel stack in Corsica.
mod_1.jpg

We demand annexation with Firenze in May 1467. It is likely to be accepted and it is accepted.
I have a very high diplomatic score, because of the many countries in my sphere of influence ( I had to burn prestige pretty often)
Modena is cored and Firenze must leave the HRE.

mod_2.jpg

And so Venice expands into Central Italy and has three universities.
mod_3.jpg

Next mission : discover the Ivory Coast and get 5 colonists.

colo_2.jpg

We do that pretty quickly. Next mission, discover Gabon and get other 5 colonists. Before we do that,
we send the colonists to old colonies (Rio Grande, Itamaraca and Saint Lucia) and to found two other colonies, Cumana and Martinique.
colo_1.jpg

We discover Gabon and we get other 5 colonists. Next mission will be improve relations with Byzantium
colo_4.jpg

Meanwhile the colonists arrive and now we have six colonies.
colo_3.jpg

yet again I have quote Count Dooku: "Most impressive.":D

you have quite a head-start in the New World as I suspect nobody is going to colonize for at least another 20 years or so - and with luck you can grab all the worthy places by then. these colonist-giving missions are most useful ones.

Nice vassall horde, that will take time to absorb.
Why aren't you going for the Bosporus Sound Toll in Anatolia?

Because I didn't know about that, thank you for telling me :)
Black Sea Trade
Still, there is time for that.

1468 : War with Austria, Bavaria and Pisa

We discover meanwhile CapoVerde. That is another important, strategic island.
cave_0.jpg

Relationship with Byzantium are improved...
byzare_0.jpg

And we get the next mission : vassalize Pisa.
pisasu_0.jpg

The new colonists are sent to expand and found new colonies in the new world. Notably Pernambuco and Ceara.
colo_2.jpg

But Castille has the quest for the new world as well, I wonder how long it will take till I have company in the new world.
cast_1.jpg

Anyway, my income is still the highest. Mecklenburg is quite impressive, I should try it in my next game.
inco_1.jpg

Martinique and Essequibo are also new colonies.
colo_3.jpg

I prepare for war against Pisa and Austria, who is the emperor.
tro_1.jpg

I get an event - the alternative is lose 1 stability. Taking the cash seems better.
ev_1.jpg

War is declared on Pisa and allies are called to arms. Only Austria will help Pisa. It will be hard to burn infamy before taking Pisa. But Dauphine joins them soon.
I'll take the opportunity to take on the Maya as well.
We win in Pisa. Bavaria joins the war too.
bava_1.jpg

So this is the diplomatic map of the war against Pisa. Bavaria is a pretty weird blob with Ulm at its centre.
diplo_1.jpg

The Austrian stack is huge but help is coming. Regrettably, our general dies, so our doge will have to be our general.
battle_1.jpg

I keep Simone Moro as doge. I declare war on the Maya as well - I want to use the fact that I have full army maintenance.

colo_4.jpg

In September 1468 Pisa falls .
pisa_1.jpg

and we make progress with the Maya as well.
maya_1.jpg

And the Austrian army is routed at last.
wien_1.jpg

And so the sieges can begin. But Bavaria's stacks still live.
wien_2.jpg

Last edited:
You could always take Graz if you're looking for infamy to burn, all the Austrian provinces are worth owning for tax and manpower if nothing else (plus weakening the current emperor is usually useful).

another vassalization mission? you have to be joking :)

and grab those Caribbean islands before the Castilians do it!
What should I say ? The game loves me !
I would grab them, but not all of them are in range.

You could always take Graz if you're looking for infamy to burn, all the Austrian provinces are worth owning for tax and manpower if nothing else (plus weakening the current emperor is usually useful).
Hmm. I might do that...

1468-1469 : War with Austria, Bavaria and Pisa (2). Pisa is vassalized.

Meanwhile we advance into Maya territory

maya_3.jpg

Bavaria occupies Augsburg
pisa_3.jpg

But is immediately liberated
pisa_5.jpg

We lose the battle of Linz because Augsburg ordered an assault - with our troops as well ! And the Bavarian stack caught us by surprise

linz_1.jpg

The Bavarian stacks are engaged while reenforcements come.

pisa_7.jpg

Peace is made with Mayas for 1075 ducats
madu_1.jpg

Reenforcements are about to come...
pisa_9.jpg

But the Bavarian army is defeated anyway
pisa_10.jpg

War is then declared on Zapotec

zapo_2.jpg

Meanwhile Bavarian troops are reengaged in Franken
pisa_11.jpg

... and defeated.
pisa_14.jpg

Linz, on which Augsburg has a core, becomes my target.

linz_2.jpg

I move national focus to Larissa and build a COT in Athens
At last, Bavarian troops are routed in Württemberg
pisa_22.jpg

Meanwhile the war against Zapotec is coming to an end.
zapo_6.jpg

At last all of Austria is occupied.
pisa_30.jpg

Austria cedes Linz, which will be given to Augsburg (they have a core on it)
pisa_31.jpg

And Pisa is vassalized at last, so we get the next mission : vassalize Siena ....
pisa_33.jpg

siena_1.jpg

This is going pretty well, i played a multiplayer Venice->Italy game(italy was formed in 1581, you would be able to reach it quicker than me, but you wouldn't be Venice) and had a huge colonial empire all over the world with lots of provinces. My problem in the end was that i had full narrowminded for the colonial provinces which made me lag pretty bad. Also youre a little bit more lucky than me with the mission, i had to fight against france and austria twice, getting decimated before getting a good land army to fend them off. I see you are doing alot of what i did, which brings back memories. Great AAR so far, keeping it easy and simple for me to read.

This is going pretty well, i played a multiplayer Venice->Italy game(italy was formed in 1581, you would be able to reach it quicker than me, but you wouldn't be Venice) and had a huge colonial empire all over the world with lots of provinces. My problem in the end was that i had full narrowminded for the colonial provinces which made me lag pretty bad. Also youre a little bit more lucky than me with the mission, i had to fight against france and austria twice, getting decimated before getting a good land army to fend them off. I see you are doing alot of what i did, which brings back memories. Great AAR so far, keeping it easy and simple for me to read.
That's nice to hear it. Forming Italy is not my top priority, i just follow the missions and if they lead me in that direction, then I will form Italy. I am also fighting with the narrowminded slider, I like the narrowminded benefits but lagging behind technologically sucks. We'll see.

1470 : The wars with Bavaria and Zapotec end

Gov Tech 10 is researched. In December 1469, Bavaria is fully occupied.
pisa_44.jpg

Meanwhile, also our colony in Azores becomes self sustaining.
azo_1.jpg

And we make peace with the Zapotec. Not only for money, but also for a couple of rich provinces, one of them with gold.
We get an ominous warning - the golden Horde is at our borders....
zapo_7.jpg

Forts must be built in the new provinces.
zapo_11.jpg

In July 1470 we still haven't decided what to do with Bavaria.
bava_11.jpg

We make them release Württemberg and Ansbach, two new allies of Venice. But weren't we already allied with Württemberg ?
bava_12.jpg

And Linz is sold to Augsburg.
bava_14.jpg