• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Netherlands so soon? and by the AI? awesome... who did it, Holland?

I also wonder where is Burgundy from the Electors' screen...
Hi vasziljevics
Yes it looks like Holland formed the Netherlands, this is the logbook of Utrecht
nethe_1.jpg

Burgundy isn't liked by the electors, I guess because of their infamy and because their ruler is excommunicated
burug_1.jpg

These are maps of Europe, the bigger blobs in the HRE are now Brandenburg and Hesse, which are favoured by the electors since Bohemia and Austria have very low prestige.
euro_1.jpg

euro_2.jpg

1439-1440 : Third war with the Ottomans

As usual, the Ottoman fleet is engaged in the Agean sea.

aegean_1.jpg

The sea battle is won. Genua's fleet (which is pretty big) engages Algiers's. The blanket of death covers European Turkey.

otto_1.jpg

Castilla is more than happy to take on Algiers

alg_1.jpg

Tangiers is converted. The Theologian is worth his money. I lift the fog of war and I see Turkey's stacks.

turkey_1.jpg

Croatia takes Wallachia for us. I make Moldawia release Vallachia. We get a new ally. On the 20th January 1440, Wallachia is born.

walla_1.jpg

I make Wallachia join the war. Another sea battle is won in the Sea of Marmara. Then Genua's fleet reengages the Ottomans in the Agean sea.

aege_2.jpg

We white peace Algeria. Burgundy declares war on the Netherlands. A church is queued in Venice. A multinational army assults Edirna.

edi_1.jpg

Kosovo falls. Serbia falls. We assault Edirne and it falls, while the Ottoman army lurks at the other side. White peace with Yemen.
Bohemia declares war on Hungary.

otto_3.jpg

We have to help them, so this is the diplomatic map on 14May 1440.

hunboe_1.jpg

Kozani falls. Regrettably, there is an horrible event, which makes us lose income for 10 years. The alternative would be a stability hit and pay many ducats. Later, I regret having chosen to lose income, because taking Brescia would have given us +2 stability boost.

smugg_1.jpg

Nis falls. On the 7th July 1440, I try and let the Turks cross into Edirne. but allies' fleets keep blocking the straits, so I give up. Invading Anatolia would be too much of a hassle.
Macedonia falls on the 18th of August. Bohemia accepts peace with Hungary, but we are still at war with them. Larissa falls in September, Burgas in October.

otto_8.jpg

Burgundy declares war on France. Reaching a dead point, I sue the Ottomans for peace. Kozani and Larissa now belong to Venice.

lari_1.jpg

Map of eastern europe December 1440

dece_1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice peace deal, connecting your holdings like that.

Hungary seems to be pushing the Horde back. Interesting.

Nice peace deal, connecting your holdings like that.

Hungary seems to be pushing the Horde back. Interesting.
Yeah, I habe been wanting to do that for a while. The Golden Horde had to deal with Castille, Novgorod, Poland, Lithuania and Qara Koyunlu. Castilla had a PU with Muscowy, this is why they were also involved.

horde_1.jpg

1440-1442 : Second war with Austria

The Bohemian, who we are at war with, are wandering in Austria.

bohe_1.jpg

The Austrian provinces in Italy haven't defected yet. These Lombard patriots are not reliable.

north_1.jpg

I white peace Bohemia and concede defeat to Brandenburg.
So all wars are over. Missionaries are sent to Kozani and Larissa.
A new doge is elected.
doge_1.jpg

Crete is converted. Sus is conveted. Kozani is converted. A gift is sent to the Pope.
Naval technology 6 is researched. On the 1th July 1441, Castilla calls to Arms to fight Fez, who has just declared independence. Fez is at war with everybody.

fez_1.jpg

Some action in France.
fra_1.jpg

Bavaria started a war in which my ally Tirol is also involved.

bav_1.jpg

War can be declared on Austria on the 28 dec 1441 to claim Brescia. Allies are called to arms. This war is obviously much easier than the first, Austria is the shadow of itself.

war_88.jpg

All allies join but Pisa which was "Likely" to join. We enter the Italian provinces and defeat the useless rebels in Brescia.

adv_1.jpg

Only Milan fights alongside Austria.

milan_1.jpg

milan_2.jpg

Graz falls. Sicily joins Austria in the war. The Milan Army is defeated and routed. and the
sieges go on in Austria while we are ready to engage Austrian Army in Steiermark

ste_1.jpg

ste_2.jpg

Brescia falls after several assaults. A loan cannot be repaid. It is not clear who is sieging Cremona. Meanwhile Tirol and allies invade Bavaria. Switzerland is at war with Milan as well.

bava_1.jpg

Castille retrieves Tlemcen from Fez. A small Aragon army is defeated in Tangiers. A gift to the state is made .
gift_1.jpg

Linz falls in May 1442.

linz_1.jpg

Peace is made with Austria. Brescia is ceded to Venice on the 9th July 1442.

ferrara_1.jpg

Next mission : conquer Ferrara. Isn't that great ?

Last edited:
1442-1443 : First war with Bavaria (1)

I resolve to work against my scare of stability hits and build churches. A church is queued in Friuli. Anyway, before taking on Ferrara, I resolve to do something about Bavaria, who is blobbing and fighting with an ally, Tirol, and some other minor German states.

bava_1.jpg

Bogomilist Heretics in Brescia! They assault the town so that they can be easily routed.
bre_1.jpg

War is declared against Bavaria on the 10th July 1442. Not all allies are called to arms, some would refuse, notably Castille. Hungary and Castille are left alone, to recover.
Naples and Switzerland declare war on us.

diplo_1.jpg

First engagements in Bavaria. Their troops are demoralized.
bava_2.jpg

bava_3.jpg

An army is sent to support Urbino. Siena comes to help too.
urb_1.jpg

Venetian troops are sieging most of Bavaria while their main army is cowering in Oberpfalz.
bava_4.jpg

The Neapolitan army is defeated in Ancona. At last the Bavarian army is lured into Augsburg
bava_5.jpg

THe battle of Augsburg is won while other troops are engaged in Salzburg
aug_1.jpg

The Bohemians retreat from Salzburg. Prestige is capped - again. I expand my sphere on Pisa.
Meanwhile a battle is won in Abruzzi as well.
abr_1.jpg

Bavarian troops are then defeated and retreat to Tirol.
bava_7.jpg

Castille is at war with... France ! No worry, Burgundy is already killing France.
fra_1.jpg

We defeat Naples's troops in Naples and siege Naples. France is gettiing smaller after having to release Toulouse
We win in Tirol while there is a revolt in Kozani
kozani_1.jpg

There is some pinponging in Naples too
nap_1.jpg

At last, Bavarian troops are routed in Konstanz.
bava_8.jpg

Prod Tech 6 is researched. A trade station is built in Görz. The blanket of doom is over Bavaria and Switzerland while we prepare to engage the last Bohemian troops.
bava_8.jpg

1443 : First war with Bavaria (2)

Ferrara and Modena declare war on us ! This is horrible, we will not be able to annect Ferrara in the next five years without infamy loss. Our army organizer dies, so we hire a gov tech advisory.
We white peace Naples after winning a battle against them. We rout Bohemia's army.
nap_5.jpg

Niederbayern and several other towns fall.

bava_9.jpg

We engaged in Sankt gallen.
bava_10.jpg

We win the battle while some other troops deal with the rebels in the Balkans. Augsburg falls. Peace is made with Switzerland. We can concentrate on Bavaria while we engage Ferrara's fleet and we fight with Bohemian troops.
bava_11.jpg

At last, we get what we want from Bavaria. Venices gets a new ally : Augsburg.

bava_12.jpg

I white peace Bohemia and everybody else- they have to join my trade league again.

diplo_3.jpg

polit_1.jpg

Meanwhile, the war between France and Burgundy ends. France all but disappears.
fra_2.jpg

Last edited:
1443-1448 : Genua is diplo-annected

A general is recruited. A church is queued in Treviso. Bavaria and Tirol white peace.

Even with penalties Venice is the richest country in the world - at peace. War taxes favour nations with high taxation.
inco_1.jpg

At last, Cremona defects to Milan. Bohemian troops have come to Roma, they are at war with the Pope.
Pisa is also in trouble. A nasty event makes us lose stability if we don't want to lose army tradition. Naples annects Pisa !
The time of annecting Genua has come so I select a diplomat candidate which turns out to be administrative.

bassa_1.jpg

We accidentally take a loan. Stability is back to normal in January. In February 1445 I try and annect Genua and they refuse.
I change the national focus to Safi to speed conversion. Soon Safi is converted.
Brandenburg is the new Emperor.
And on 31th July 1445, Genua is diplo-annexed. We have two COTs.

genua_5.jpg

I would find out later, though, that having an uncored COT is a big penalty when trading in foreign COTs.
On 6 August 1445 I can also move a slider. I choose Free Subjects, hoping also to reduce Inflation. I lose manpower instead.
Milan becomes a vassal of Switzerland.
Now I need all the diplomats I can get to extend Genua's reach -as far as trade is concerned.
Of course I have to make Genua leave the empire.
genua_6.jpg

But an opportunity arises. France annects Savoy, and France is excommunicated !
I notice France's Savoy is ravaged by rebels and France has very few troops .
Regrettably, they are guaranteed by England, and Castille would not join us in such a war.
france_5.jpg

Gov Tech 7 is researched. While I ask for trade rights all over the place, France collapses - but they still have Ile de France.
france_b.jpg

Time passes and Venice is back as Income number 1.
income_2.jpg

We have the greatest cardinal chance - but no cardinal !
cardinal_1.jpg

Reelection. Since war is coming, I choose a military candidate.
doge_2.jpg

War is declared on Ferrara on the 14th September 1448.
ferr_5.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, that certainly seems like a simple enough war. You're on a streak of pretty nice missions.

Containing Bavaria was definitely a good call.

There are wrong screenshots in that last update by the way - an old screenshot from 1442 appears twice...

Hmm, that certainly seems like a simple enough war. You're on a streak of pretty nice missions.

Containing Bavaria was definitely a good call.

There are wrong screenshots in that last update by the way - an old screenshot from 1442 appears twice...

Thank you, I fixed that - I have to pay more attention.

1448-1449 : The conquest of Ferrara

I call to arms all allies but Tirol, that probably has a truce with one of Ferrara's allies.
But, surprise surprise, Austria joins the war too. That does not really worry us.
The battle of Ferrara is easily won and the siege of Ferrara can start.
ferr_6.jpg

diplo_7.jpg

Ferrara is assaulted and falls on the 22th of October 1448.
On the 23th of October 1448, Ferrara is annexed.
ferr_8.jpg

Next mission will be vassalizing Mantua
mantua_1.jpg

Modena and Austria are taken care of by Venice's allies.
brand_1.jpg

Brandeburg, the Emperor, has also sent an army, who is repelled, reengaged in Sopron and routed in Somogy.
sopron_1.jpg

sopron_2.jpg

sopron_3.jpg

Neapolitan troops are engaged in Ancona, where we sent a support army to our ally Urbino.

ancona_1.jpg

The battle in Ancona is won and we pursue Naples' troops who are then routed.
naples_1.jpg

We got what we wanted. We white peace and the war is over.

Last edited:
You're starting to have a pretty nice power base there around the Gulf of Venice. Not a bad next mission either.

1449: The vassalization of Mantua

Meanwhile, trade tech 7 is researched.
I cancel military access to Mantua and on the 1st of June 1449, war is declared on Mantua. All allies join in.
Will be another easy war, against Switzerland, Bavaria and Brandenburg.
diplo_4.jpg

The battle of Mantua is won.
mantua_2.jpg

The result is not in doubt - we outnumber them 4:1. Although Castilla is not to be seen here.
The real challenge is not getting confused by all the wandering flags, it doesn't help that Tirol's and Brandenburg's flags are annoyingly similar.
Brandenburg is an eagle with a small blue "T" and is here fighting Augsburg in Niederbayern.
cast_1.jpg

Doing ok in italy but in Germany we are outnumbered
citaly.jpg

Milan, vassal of Switzerland, enters the war as well. Bavaria's stack is in Augsburg, the Swiss stack in Tirol.
stacks_1.jpg

Mantua falls on 23 the December 1449. Mantua is vassalized and we get a new mission, vassalize Morea. I notice that
this kind of mission burns 2 infamy, this is very useful.
mantua_3.jpg

mantua_4.jpg

mantua_5.jpg

Last edited:
1449-1450 : Cremona

While Bavaria's and Switzerland's stacks camp, Cremona falls.
swiss_1.jpg

At last we engage the Bavarian stack in Augsburg.
stackb_1.jpg

Which is finally routed in Franken.
stackb_4.jpg

We engage the Swiss in Sankt Gallen, and they end up routed somewhere.
switz_1.jpg

And the Brandenburgan in Lombardia.
switz_2.jpg

We whitepeace Bavaria, and I request Cremona from the Swiss. I need to get some infamy that I can burn after vassalizing Morea. Connecting Liguria to my other holdings cannot be wrong. Cremona is fairly rich too.
swi_4.jpg

And so, on the 21 August 1450, Cremona becomes Venetian.

You're starting to have a pretty nice power base there around the Gulf of Venice. Not a bad next mission either.
I can't complain :)

wish I had the same "handy" missions as you with Tripoli, yet... damn it :) part of the reason I do not frequently play Catholics in EU3 anymore is that the missions and the whole game system favours Western countries so badly...

by the way: after finishing North Italy you should conquer the Lowlands next and after that colonize - then all the others will simply not have any money against you
:D

wish I had the same "handy" missions as you with Tripoli, yet... damn it :) part of the reason I do not frequently play Catholics in EU3 anymore is that the missions and the whole game system favours Western countries so badly...

by the way: after finishing North Italy you should conquer the Lowlands next and after that colonize - then all the others will simply not have any money against you
:D

What should I say - every nation has different challenges :) Playing anything but catholic makes colonization very hard, and that is not the kind the game I like to play.
Lowlands ... I'll consider that, though I am afraid I would overextend myself.

Subjugation of Venice - painting

The doge commissioned a painting. This is how a local painter saw the subjugation of Mantua by Venice.

800px-Domenico_morone%2C_la_cacciata_dei_bonacolsi_da_mantova%2C_1494.jpg

Last edited: