• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1431-1432: Hungary's call to arms

Annoyingly , a revolt breaks out in Sus. 1 inflations is lost after an event. Regrettably, we cannot repay a loan. And we have serious manpower problems, so the war with Austria must be put off. A small army is sent to Africa to deal with the revolts, since Safi is revolting as well.

revolts_1.jpg

Gov Technology 6 is researched. We concentrate on Trade. The revolters in Safi are defeated as well. Bohemia must cede Breslau to Brandenburg.
bra_1.jpg

Another revolt in Sus. Hungary calls us to arms against Brandenburg...That means free war taxes. And it means Austria cannot attack, while being allied in the war. Austria is allied to Hungary as well and has been called to arms in the same war.

brande_1.jpg

diplo_1.jpg

Last edited:
1433-1434 : The Vassalization of Genua

We don't mind the lull in fight, since we have to recover manpower and burn infamy. Allies are invited to the trade league.
Austria cannot declare war on Venice as long as we are allies in a war. We have exchanged military access too.
My allies are not doing anything too in this phony war.
There is something that can be done to improve my manpower problems though, and that is build armories. We build one in Venice.
Another revolt breaks out in Toubkhal. Meanwhile Brandenburg is sieging Pomerania, but we don't care

pome_1.jpg

Considering the lull we decide to attack Genua, but they are protected by everybody and their cousins. Every ally would join but Siena.

genoa_1.jpg

Since we would need to kill the Pope's army, Naples's and Florence, the army is positioned in Ancona. Castille calls us to army against... Smolensk ! Brandeburg wants to peace , but no thanks- later. I have positioned my armies and they are ready to kill.

armies_1.jpg

On the 1st October 1433, I declare war on Genua. Nobody else declares war on Venice ! So I can just invade Genua. Everybody is scared of Venice. Allies are not even needed.

genoa_2.jpg

The peasants are defeated and disappear. The sieges can start.
Shockingly Venice, with war taxes, has the highest income in the world. Burundy and Castille are at war too, though.

income_1.jpg

A constable is queued in Verona and an armory in Treviso. England annects Scotland. We assault and take Liguria.

ligu_1.jpg

We expand influence on the Papal state to burn Prestige and then Genua is vassalized. So now I have some infamy to burn.

genoa_4.jpg

So on the 28th of February 1434 Genua became Venice's vassal.

So the competition (not that it ever was very severe) between the Italian merchant republics is over. Nice one.

it seems to me that countries with serious internal problems (like the case of Genova and the peasants) are much more likely to be abandoned by their allies...

so, Northern Italy is in the grip of the Doge once again! time to make steps for the Mare Nostrum :)

Yeah, Genua was threathening our trade and had to be punished. Though we are a far cry from the Mare Nostrum, my Venice is not allowed to be a "Bad Boy".

1434 : Second War with the Ottomans

The Doge was astonished at how easy it had been to conquer Genua. Italy was very divided. He wasn't sure if he should set Venice to the road to unification of Italy,
a sign from God was necessary.
A revolt broke out in Istria. Pommerania managed to occupy some of Brandenburg's provinces before losing their army, and that made Brandenburg accepts a peace deal
and join our league.
Then, the Ottomans declared war on Epirus so we got a call to Arms against the Ottomans.
Austria has a Regency Councils , we noticed, so they could not declare on uss ... Venice accidentally took a loan and then declared war on the ottomans, calling to arms all allies.

otto_1.jpg

The Ottomans are at war with everybody and their dogs.
otto_2.jpg

Niccolo Zustiniani is relected while the Ottomans are about to engage our troops in Janina. Help is on the way.

jan_1.jpg

The rebels of Istria are defeated.
Ottomans and Venice engage in Janina. A great event makes us gain 300 ducats.
duc_1.jpg

They are invested in starting the conversion efforts in Africa. Troops engage in Janina while fleets engage in the Aegean Sea.
While fleets fight in the Aegean sea, Byzantium is smart enough to Block the sea of Marmara
biza_1.jpg

The Battle of the Agean sea is won, but in Janina it is a close affair. It is won at alast and we pursue in Athens.

jan_7.jpg

The Ottomans are routed in Athens.

otto_4.jpg

The demoralized Serbians are routed in Kozani, where the Bosnians also were located. They were at war with Ottomans but not with Serbs, so they were chilling together in Kozani !..

kozani_1.jpg

Last edited:
1434-1435 : At last, war with Austria

The Doge was unenthusiastic about the war against the Ottomans. But they would not white peace or even accept tribute. Regrettably in the strategic provinces of Larissa and Kozani the allies had come first and they would not become Venices's. So to cut matters short, he resolved to siege the Ottomans' capital.
But on the 20th of September 1434, after a Castillian/Croatian force had managed to take Macedonia, the Ottomans sued for peace, which we accepted.

ott_1.jpg

An armory was built in Albania, where we could now build Azab Infanty, better than Venice's default troops.

alb_1.jpg

The Ottomans were weakened, but they would probably beat the Anti Ottoman's coalition. They had to deal with rebels too. If they took Epirus, that would actually suit us, since we would have the opportunity to conquer it.

ott_2.jpg

We queue a constable in Athens. The Ottoman resume war also with the Timurids, so the coalitions of the little guys may actually bother them.
Austria cut down its army size for misterious reasons to 28k. We peaced with Smolensk too since we had no way to help Moscow...
We could move a slider and as a good merchant republic we chose Plutocracy and we lost 5 prestige.
Niccolo Zustiniani regrettably died and since we were planning a war against Austria we chose the Military Candidate.
He turned out to be mediocre.
corna_1.jpg

But a super general nonetheless.

gene_1.jpg

I wait for my armies to replenish. I queue an armory also in Verona. Bavaria annects Salzburg, which somehow had defected from Austria. Bohemia is slowly rebuilding his army, so as
this is a good time as any other, I cancel military access to Austria. I am planning to dispose my troops along the line Verona -Trent- Treviso-Lienz-Görz-Krain as soon as war is declared,
since my first target will be Lienz - taking it would split Austria.

line_1.jpg

On 1 July 1435 I declare war on Austria calling all allies to arms, which are all very Likely to join the war, including Hungary who is allied to both Venice and Austria. They will have to choose, either Venice or Austria.

war_1.jpg

Ah, how intriguing! Fortunately you have one heck of a general, shock 6 can dominate in this era.

Manpower looks a bit nasty though...

If possible I'd try to take Tirol or Trent as well in that war - almost all the Austrian provinces are worth paying 4 infamy for (especially the gold ones!) and the more you fragment their provinces in and near Italy the more likely they are to lose their Italian holdings to rebels.

If possible I'd try to take Tirol or Trent as well in that war - almost all the Austrian provinces are worth paying 4 infamy for (especially the gold ones!) and the more you fragment their provinces in and near Italy the more likely they are to lose their Italian holdings to rebels.

Regrettably, I have a rule for this AAR - infamy cannot be worse than "slightly tarnished". Also because infamy kills trade, and Venice is a merchant republic :)
Venice has a core on Lienz - That is why Lienz is my target in this war.

Last edited:
1435 : War with Austria (1)

Hungary makes the right choice : they fight on our side.
So this is the diplomatic map of the war. Bohemia did not join.

war_2.jpg

Two small armies are sent to Trent and Lienz to build the line Verona-Trent-Treviso-Lienz-Görz-Krain . The Austrian Army in Italy is lured into attacking the Army in Verona which will receive reenforcements from Treviso. The troops engage in Verona and will have to resist till the reenforcements from Treviso come.

war_3.jpg

Meanwhile, as a small croatian army plans to enter Kärnten, we push foward the army from Görz led by the doge. We leave behind two regiments which are not refilled yet

war_4.jpg

Regrettably, the stack from Wien pops up and is marching toward Lienz. I hadn't infiltrated the administration so it took me a little by surprise. All of my eastern troops are redirected to Lienz. The small stack in Lienz will have to resist a couple of days against a much bigger stack.

war_5.jpg

But after seeing my manover the Hasburg Army redirects to Kärnten, where Austrian and Croats have engaged. I redirect my Krain Army towards Kärnten while the Görz army keeps marching towards Lienz.

war_6.jpg

The Görz army won't arrive into Linz till 7 August. Before that, the Hasburg Army will have reached Kärnten and I will able to redirect the Görz army to Kärnten as well.

On the 27th of July 1435, on the western Front, the reinforcement from Treviso come just in time - the army from Pordenone has low morale. Now in Verona the Veneatian Army is outnumbering the Austrians, will soon recover morale and has still the terrain bonus.

war_7.jpg

We decide not to help the Croats after all. They have very low morale and they have probably the terrain malus. So we'll cover their retreat- if they survive.

war_8.jpg

Savoyan troops are coming to reinforce the Austrian. Liguria are not at war with Savoy, because I hadn't allied with them yet. They are just vassals.
savoy_1.jpg

Savoy's fleet is sunk by a Provence-Castilla-Venice fleet. Savoy is at war with Provence as well... That is why the Savoy's army walks now towards Piemonte.

savoy_2.jpg

The Hasburgan Army has destroyed the small Croatian army and now walks toward Görz. Krain's army will reinforce in due time, but we'll still be outnumbered in Görz. But we'll get terrain bonus and leadership bonus, since our doge is very good. Our troops have very high morale also. In Verona, meanhwile, the battle is being won.

war_9.jpg

On the 7th Augusth 1435, The Hassburgan Army engages Venetian troops in Görz, which get both the leadership and the terrain bonus. In eight days reinforcement from Krain will come.

war_10.jpg

On the 15th August 1435, reinforcements come into Görz, which drives up morale. The Austrians send the small Imperial Army into the fray, which prompts me to send one infantry unit from Lienz. But the siege is not lifted.

war_11.jpg

Even if outnumbered and leaderless, the Army of Böhmen fights with great valour in Verona. The Austrians are truly worthy enemies.
war_12.jpg

But on the 12th August 1435, they must retreat with great losses.

war_13.jpg

Last edited:
1435 : War with Austria (2)

The army is splitted. The bigger Armata di Treviso is given the order to pursue the defeated enemy while the Armata di Verona is given the order to force-march towards Görz.
war_14.jpg

Genua is called to arms. The Armata di Görz does not seem to need help after all and after inflicting big casualties on the Austrians is outnumbering them in Görz. But the Austrians fight bitterly.

war_15.jpg

Using his great manovering skills, the general Pordenone manages to get a terrain bonus in Brescia and engages them on the 4th September 1435. But although the Austrians are in an hopeless position, they don't surrender. Meanwhile, Genua is laying siege in Cremona.

war_16.jpg

The Army of Bohemia refuses to surrender and escapes to Verona after another defeat. But we have no doubt that in Verona they will either have to surrender or be annihilated.

war_17.jpg

Meanwhile in Görz the Hasburgan Army is also refusing to give up - even if they should understand they have been outclassed. The Armata di Verona is also coming to support .

war_18.jpg

In Verona, even if outnumbered 5:1, the Austrian still refuse to surrender and choose to be annihilated.

war_19.jpg

Savoy is laying siege to Liguria after all. At last, in Verona, the Austria are annihilated. We never saw anything like that, my doge !

war_20.jpg

As Savoy's army is camping in Genua, the Army of Verona is sent to help dispatch the rest of the Austrian army.
war_21.jpg

And at last I find out what Castille is doing. They are fighting Aragon, who were allied with the Austrians. Speaking of which, I can occupy Ceuta.
war_22.jpg

The Austrians have to retire from Görz to Kärnten after many losses. Our doge's skills will make sure we get there before them.
war_23.jpg

These ones are smarter and they surrender in Kärnten.
war_24.jpg

All Austrian troops are annihilated. It is time to extend the blanket of death over Austria. Meanwhile an Army of Observation is sent to Parma. Now, here I could use some allies...
war_25.jpg

A revolt in Tangiers makes me leave the siege in Ceuta. Tuscany joins Austria in the war.... I clear the army in Firenze and hope Siena and Urbino will take care of them.
And in December 1435, a Venetian blanket of death was spread over Austria.
blanket_1.jpg

Last edited:
Well done using the harsh terrain to your advantage. Barring any surprise DoWs, you can really damage Austria here should you want to (i.e. force release in addition to taking Lienz).

Malurous' idea is good (well he's a renowned veteran of war after all :)) - conquering Lienz would cut them into half and forcing them to release the rest of Steiermark (aka. Styria) would bring additional allies to your side!

Yeah, I am planning to make them release Styria and Tirol as well ;)

1435-1436 : War with Austria (3)

The revolt in Toubkhal is crushed. Unexpectedly, the Netherlands manage to land a force in Tangiers.

nehe_1.jpg

And Zealots revolt in Safi !
In February 1436, Steiermark falls. In March 1436, Trade Technology 6 is researched. Meanwhile, Savoy conquers Liguria and marches into Cremona. Urbino and Siena are sieging Firenze

svo_2.jpg

The Observation army comes and helps the Genuans.

svo_3.jpg

Meanwhile the Dutch are encroaching in Africa. I am about to send troops to help the outnumbered African force.

neth_2.jpg

The battle of Cremona is won. I purse the Savoyan army while keeping the siege in Cremona . They are then routed in Genua.
cre_1.jpg

In May, Brescia falls. We whitepeace Savoy. I patrol with the carracks the straits of Gibraltar to make sure the Dutch don't land other troops and go retrieve with galleys and cogs some other troops. In July 1436 Kärnten falls. In August 1436 Lienz falls.
Firenze falls as well and I am tempted to vassalize them (two universities), but that would strain my limited infamy budget.
On the 18th of August 1436, Firenze has to release Pisa and join the trade league. Before that, I burn prestige extending influence to Sicily.

pisa_1.jpg

On the 18th August 1436, Pisa is born.
By the end of Augst, Ostmarch falls, And at last, in September 1436, a Castillian army pops up in Venice
cast_1.jpg

Graz is successfuly assaulted in September 1436. Then Wien Falls. We engage the Dutch in Tangiers while reinforcement are under way.
In November 1436 Linz and Tirol are successfully assaulted, with Castillian support. Reinforcements come in the nick of time to Tangiers.

tang_1.jpg

In December, Trent falls. Austria is totally under the Venetian blanket of death, but for the enclave in Sundgau

blanket_2.jpg

Dutch troops ared wiped out in Tangiers

tang_2.jpg

Netherlands is whitepeaced, to raise war score.
Influence is expanded into Savoy. And peace is made with Austria on 28th December 1436.
They have to give up Lienz and release Styria and Tirol. Austria is dismembered
austr_1.jpg

Tirol and Styria are born and are Venice's allies.

Last edited:
Nice, everything went according to plan! With any luck, conquering Brescia will be a simple matter when the truce runs out.

Yeah, everything went better than expected :)

1437-1439 : Peace between the storms

Venice would have to wait 5 years to declare war on Austria again to get Brescia. Regrettably funding patriots in Brescia was very expensive.
patriots_2.jpg

There is something I want to get out of my system. Twice Venice had been dragged into a war against the Ottomans unprepared. Now that Austria wasn't a problem it was time to start a war against the Ottomans - and be prepared !
Meanhwile Bavaria is blobbing and has a border with us.

bavaria_1.jpg

Troops marched into the Balkans. Regrettably, the truce with the Ottomans would end in 1439. I thought I had been in war with Austria like forever but 5 years had not passed yet. We supported revolt in Brescia and Cremona anyway, they would defect to Milan but that would save us time.
Quickly , revolters pop up in Cremona.
cremona_1.jpg

We have to take a loan to repay one, we have two. Tirol and Styria are invited to the Trade League. The electors are supporting Brandenburg.
hre_1.jpg

The year 1437 ends without events. Cremona is conquered by Lombard rebels.
cremona_2.jpg

After an event 13 regiments in Krain revolt and are quickly defeated
revolt_1.jpg

Land tech 6 is discovered.
We elect a new doge, administrative, since we are not expecting great wars. He turns out to be fair.

vitto_1.jpg

A loan is repaid. Brescia is taken by rebels. Hungary calls us to arms to another phony war.

hun_1.jpg

Though this time it isn't because there is a way to reach Brandenburg

bran_1.jpg

There are many province conversions in progress and I select a Thelogian as an advisor, since infamy is now 0 and I don't need an infamy advisor. The Lombard rebels walk between Brescia and Cremona but luckily do not enter Verona.

lombard_1.jpg

The truce with the Ottomans ends in September 1439. In August 1439 the troops are positioned in the Balkans and the fleet blocks the straits. On the 21th September 1439, as the truce expires, a Holy War is declared on the Ottomans. All allies are ready to join. It is good to keep them busy. And march orders are given.
I know the Ottomans are at war with the Timurids and have a not so great army.

march_1.jpg

Diplomatic map 22 September 1439
diplo_1.jpg