• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If a province's culture is changed via a missionary and the owning country has a historical colony name defined for the province, the city name will now change. E.g. a successful missionary will change Tenochtitlan to Ciudad de Mexico.

Could this system somehow be expanded to European colonies? Think of Nieuw Amsterdam - New York.

Some suggestions (wishes) before it's too late, if it isn't already. Should all be fairly easy to implement if the EU2 code is well written, which I heard it isn't. :glare:

The items within each list are sorted by importance and I have marked particularly important items with arrows.

Defines:
  • A define for a one-time percental population reduction whenever a province is captured (siege/assault) by a country (including rebels) that doesn't own it and has no national core on it. A realistic value might be around 0.2 to 0.3 but vanilla should probably have it at 0.05 or less.

• Defines for the movement speed ratio of inf/cav/art and maybe ships as well.

• A define for the number of troops per recruitment/weight/manpower.

• A define for the VP loss when a government falls.

General modability:
  • ► An adjacency type impassable that prevents colonization and troop movement across it, possibly also prohibiting CoT association, vision, neighbour trigger, etc.

• ► The possibility to load multiple AI files in a country's scenario file, as explained here.

• ► A trigger thisvassal/thisoverlord/thisunion = TAG that is true if TAG is a vassal/overlord/partner of the country receiving the event.

• The possibility to define in global_flags.txt\tolerance a numeric value for a non-displayed religion, e.g. catholic = { display = no value = 10 }.

• The possibility to define in global_flags.txt\tolerance maximum and minimum values for a displayed religion, e.g. orthodox = { display = yes name = orthodox min = -10 max = 0 }.

• A command movecot that moves an existing CoT to another province while keeping the index, persistency, and merchants; so effectively it merely changes the location of a CoT and resets the failure value. To be used e.g. for Antwerpen->Amsterdam, Guangzhou->Macao, Moskva->Petersburg, Ormus->Masqat, Praha->Vienna, etc.

• An optional year_discover = x value for areas (or provinces?) prior to which they can't be explored.

• A trigger atpeace = x that is true if the country has been at peace for x months.

• A countrypopulation = x trigger. Should probably count in thousands.

• A countryarmy/countrynavy = x trigger that checks for the total number of troops/ships. Maybe also for individual unit types?

Rule changes:
  • ► ToT cores should only matter to countries if the province is owned by another country. Currently, if a country has a ToT core on an owned province, it will attack anyone in that province who is not on the same side in a war, which means that in peace even allies, lieges, and countries with military access get attacked, even though they don't have a ToT core on that province and are not attempting to conquer it.

• ► Countries with ToT cores should also colonise provinces that aren't in their ToT list if they're part of an area/region/continent that's listed in the country's AI file.

• No war exhaustion for being at war with a country on another continent with a whiteman = yes religion.

• Yearly vassal income so it can't be used for tech investment.

• National loans repayable anytime. AI should automatically repay loans once they have the money.

• A vassal country's provinces prefer the overlord's CoTs.

• All national cores of enemies are ceded when a government falls while at war.

• Prohibit missionary placement if country religion has missionary_placement_chance = 0.

• Regardless of trade tech, automatic embargo by all (including human-controlled) CoT-owning countries against enemies while at war. The trade efficiency penalty should apply in this case iff the enemy owns a CoT as well. Also make embargoes impossible for countries that do not own any CoTs.

• Royal marriages only remove the fog of war for the other country's capital, or not at all.

• Ships always at half maintenance when in port without losing morale. Possibly also make ships always need full maintenance when at sea, effectively getting rid of the naval maintenance slider.

Cosmetic changes:
  • The possibility to assign fixed colours to CoTs both in scenario files as well as via the cot command (new value parameter). Alternatively, CoTs always display the political colour of their owner.

• A total population comparison graph in the ledger, analogous to the territorial size graph which it could replace (if the number of pages is limited) since the number of provinces isn't very meaningful information anyway.

• All (including newly created) countries always considered major, ledger graphs display the current top 24 countries of each graph.

• A colorscales_alliances.txt that works the same way as colorscales_relations.txt.

• Make all provinces that are known to any country also automatically known to REB so you can use "exploration reb" to see which areas have been discovered.

• Always use the specific name in colonynames.txt if the country has one, regardless of other factors. This name is not written to the savegame; instead the original name is passed on but the game looks up colonynames.txt first before using the name specified in the savegame. This way the province will automatically display the default city name again once the country loses the province, but it can still be permanently modified by the cityname command for countries without a colonynames.txt entry.

• If possible to calculate province size in pixels, change the population mapmode to display population density.

^
To all of that, I would like to add that a "breakalliance" command would be gloriously helpful. The vassalize -> Break vassalization thing used by a bunch of AGCEEP events (Treaty of Arras for instance) to end alliances that would historically be broken then is incredibly inelegant and annoying.

If an army has more than one leader, the highest ranked officer takes command of the unit - even if his stats are far worse. Now I know that we can change the leader via the small button, but the game flips it back after battles and marches.
Michael, can you change this so that only the player (or a leaders death) can switch the commander again?

One wish only.

You know how the land slider changes the overseas penalty, with position 5 being the default 10%, position 10 increasing it to 20% and position 0 decreasing it to 0%?

I'd love if something comparable was done to narrowminded/innovative slider and the wrong religion tax penalty. As it is now, not converting the hell out of every province in my country is very unprofitable, so every country that wants to include several provinces of different religions (like Ottomans) have to go narrowminded, while countries that are somewhat monolithic in the religious makeup(like Japan) are able to go innovative. Historically, Japan was much more xenophobic than the Ottoman Empire.

I'd have it reduce 3% of the penalty by point of innovativeness. So at maximum inno you have a penalty of 15%, which is acceptable, while total narrowmindedness will lead you to staggering 45% of income loss (75% with wrong culture!). It will thus reduce the appeal of huge narrowminded blobs. Huge inno blobs won't appear anyway as the stability costs would kill them.

I'd like to be able to control an ally's (or at least a vassal's if we are allied) forces while at war. While an AI ally is always useful, they can usually do much better if controlled by a human.

I'd like to be able to control an ally's (or at least a vassal's if we are allied) forces while at war. While an AI ally is always useful, they can usually do much better if controlled by a human.

If you limit yourself to controlling only allied forces you can do that using the "Richelieu" cheat.

Well... How about leader traits? Like "horseman", reducing the cavalry army penalties by 1; or "mobility doctrine", obviously increasing your units' speed.

Well... How about leader traits? Like "horseman", reducing the cavalry army penalties by 1; or "mobility doctrine", obviously increasing your units' speed.

The latter is what the "Movement" value of the leader is for.

Last edited:
:unsure: I totally forgot about that...
"Artillery leader" (not good at naming stuff), increasing fire and shock values and speed for cannons only (great for Napoléon).

Edit:
Declarations of war through events should be able to (optionally) overrun the -5 stab hit of a truce.

Last edited:
Looking at the defines file I didn't find much about War Exhaustion, except for the effect war taxes have on it. So I would like to see more improvements here.

What matters to me the most is:
Base Maximum WE

From Paradoxian:
Each army unit (1000 infantry or cavalry, or 10 artillery) recruited immediately increases the BWE by 2.0, divided by the country's manpower pool maximum.
Here I want to be able to change that 2.0

Ideally also how much WE increases and decreases during what the wiki calls active and inactive years

hi to all
my wishes:
- armies have experience, if they win many battle became more experienced (and maybe acquire military rank)
- 3 more building for city available when infrastructures reache 6-7-8 level: university that reduce influence of religion (or other similar power), hospital that make city growing faster, market that influence trade
- wonderies, a group of 4-5 structures that you can build once and has influence about diplomats, missionaries, etc (similar shipyard)
thanks

Am playing an AGCEEP game as Persia recently, am having lots of fun, but I would like to put in a request for different army icons once you get to the gunpowder era, I'm at Land 22 and the icons are the same as they were at the start of the game, whereas the Ottoman ones have guns. :-(

Since MM said change for defines.txt are easy, I hope this late request is accepted:

Dividing the above support limit penalty by unit type.

EDIT: Maybe also the size of the units when you recruit them.

Last edited:
Just thought about this, how about a new file containing a list of land provinces which are more likely to be discovered when an explorer from a certain country passes next to it? It would make it easier to ensure cases like New Amsterdam or the historical African trade posts.

EDIT: Since I don't think it's worth its own thread, I'll put it here: The name for the Spanish colony in the province of Parana (217) should be "Colonia del Sacramento".

Last edited:
If an army has more than one leader, the highest ranked officer takes command of the unit - even if his stats are far worse. Now I know that we can change the leader via the small button, but the game flips it back after battles and marches.
Michael, can you change this so that only the player (or a leaders death) can switch the commander again?

I would have a problem with that.
A leaders ego would not allow that a higher ranked general or even monarch bows to the command of some lowly leader who happens to have better abilities in the time of the game. A monarch as a military leader present at a siege who would do that would risk looking replacable if he did not have the supreme command. A leader put down from his command in exchange for a lowerranked leader with better abilitiies should simply desert.
From 1419 to the french revolution officers in general did not become officers for their ability to lead a company or regiment but because they bought their officiers patent and outfitted their unit. I love how the TV-series "Die Scharfschützen"/Sharpe painstakingly makes that clear several times, in one episode where it puts a completely unable officer in command of Sharpe and his men - because the unable officer has bought his command and has friends at court.

And ingame it is already possible to split armies and to send only those leaders to a province with their unit that we want there.