• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
...why? The terrain mode seems pretty useless without troops.

Hi everyone, I would like to explain my view of one feature I think would make FTG an awesome experience for strategy gamers, adding military depth.
Let’s use the following feature included in the list of unified wishes:

2) more types of units like Rome has namely archer, musketeers, pikemen, swordsmen, light fast cavalry, heavy assault cavalry, field artillery, siege mortars etc (possibly an eu3-like system with differing unit groups). However this really doesn’t work with the existing combat system, which would have to be revamped.
In addition to every suggestion posted in this thread, I think the goal stated above should be achieved with the following bases:

A-A combat system similar to that of HoI2, with climatic and terrain modifiers significantly affecting battles as well as stability, global political and economic modifiers. Units should be able to gain experience and this experience could decrease with combat losses (after all men die and no unit can be elite after 100 years of warfare). Also the culture of the province determines unit’s culture, and revolt risk in provinces may cause unrest in units with that culture.

(Please keep reading, it continues)

Enhancing military in ftg

Hi everyone, I would like to explain my view of one feature I think would make FTG an awesome experience for strategy gamers, adding military depth.
Let’s use the following feature included in the list of unified wishes:

2) more types of units like Rome has namely archer, musketeers, pikemen, swordsmen, light fast cavalry, heavy assault cavalry, field artillery, siege mortars etc (possibly an eu3-like system with differing unit groups). However this really doesn’t work with the existing combat system, which would have to be revamped.

In addition to every suggestion posted in this thread, I think the goal stated above should be achieved with the following bases:

A-A combat system similar to that of HoI2, with climatic and terrain modifiers significantly affecting battles as well as stability, global political and economic modifiers. Units should be able to gain experience and this experience could decrease with combat losses (after all men die and no unit can be elite after 100 years of warfare). Also the culture of the province determines unit’s culture, and revolt risk in provinces may cause unrest in units with that culture.

B-Game period between 1415-1835 and a reworked map with more provinces (specially in the case of Europe) to better depict political fragmentation of starting period and the path to national state, and extended warfare, as historical focuses.

C-Date and time system based on the principle that the smallest time unit is not the day, but each day is divided in four phases, namely dawn, day, dusk, night, similar to the 24 four hour period of HoI2, nevertheless income-expenses-game checks should be kept calculating monthly and yearly. This will extend game time and include some form of detailed realism, for military each phase could affect battles with some modifier.

D-1000 men strong land units, different units types with specific stats and attributes, namely could be: LAND: 0-Militia, 1-Infantry, 2-Light Infantry, 3-Cavalry, 4-Light Cavalry, 5-Guards Infantry, 6-Guards Cavalry, 7-Field Artillery (in units 10 guns strong), 8-Siege Artillery (in units 10 guns strong), 9-Colonial Militia; NAVAL (every unit is a ship, 13 and 14 represents groups of this type of ship): 10-Warship, 11-Galley, 12-Frigate, 13-Brigs Squadron, 14-Transports Squadron.

LAND:

0-Militia: The basic unit for every faction and one of two available to uncivilized, cheap and low combat values. For uncivilized factions may be tribal warriors, can wage guerrilla war as explained in this forum (by the way great idea);

1-Infantry: available with first techs, no bonuses per se, also guerrilla war;

2-Light Infantry: represents unit types like longbowmen in 15th and 16th centuries and accordingly named, available only to certain countries like England, disabled after 16th century but available again in middle 18th century for all civilized countries, when proper tech reached, as regular light infantry properly, and also guerrilla war;

3-Cavalry: the basic mounted unit, evolves from late 15th century knights to Napoleonic dragoons and cuirassiers;

4-Light Cavalry: similar to cavalry but faster and weaker in shock, early models will represent the only cavalry available to some uncivilized countries (of course, not mesoamericans), later models will be available from early 18th century on in the form of hussars, horse jagers, lancers;

5-Guards Infantry: not a unit that can be recruited per se, but after certain tech is available more or less in 18th century, infantry and light infantry units with high experience can be converted into guard units. Guard units could have some bonuses and higher upkeep costs, also there could be a limit to the quantity of this type of units (a ratio with the total of units, f.e.);

6-Guards Cavalry: same as Guard infantry but with cavalry and light cavalry;

7-Field Artillery: The battlefield artillery, available after certain tech is available sometime in the middle of 16th century, some siege abilities, a victorious army can capture some artillery pieces from vanquished enemy armies;

8-Siege Artillery: the earlier artillery since late medieval times, very low movement speed, very high siege attributes, its presence in pitched battles do not affect combat and may be captured if the army carrying it is defeated;

9-Colonial Militia : The only unit you can recruit in sizable colonies until developed into cities;

NAVAL:

10-Warship: The basic warship, evolves to battleships of 18th and early 19th centuries, more or less same as current FTG;

11-Galley: more or less same as current FTG;

12-Frigate: Similar to warships but faster with weaker combat values, more resistant to attrition, available according to tech in late 18th century;

13-Brigs Squadron: Similar to frigates, suffers dire attrition in open seas, have maneuverability and speed bonuses;

14-Transports Squadron: Same function as current FTG.

F-Culture and tech specific unit types (similar to ‘models’ system in HoI2), f.e. , French infantry under level 3 Tech military could be named Late Medieval (in French) while infantry under level 16 could be named “Pike and shot infantry” (in french)

G-A graphics model system similar to HoI2 for each unit, not uniform but varying according to country TAG, this includes the small models you see when a stack is selected and a bigger image when one unit in stack is selected and unit values are shown.

H-Maintain the sprites system varying with tech levels, and sprites variety according to country TAG or culture;

I-A model activation-upgrade system according with tech, as in HoI2, f.e.: Civilized countries start at level 3 tech while uncivilized starts at level 0. Level 3 makes infantry and cavalry available, but this are at the first level: once level 11 is reached, first models are obsolete and new model becomes available, so you no longer recruit first level and the existing ones can be upgraded either unit by unit or though an increased cost at army maintenance slider.

J-A pool of historical leaders, Victoria I or HoI2 like, for recruitment instead of the current system that makes using leaders a little bit disappointing. Leaders with traits, portraits.

Sorry for the length, but I truly wish to see all of this in FTG, one of the greatest games I ever played, and I’m sure this is possible. I’m a very big fan of EU and FTG and I would like to contribute to make FTG outstandingly awesome, more than it already is.

2) more types of units like Rome has namely archer, musketeers, pikemen, swordsmen, light fast cavalry, heavy assault cavalry, field artillery, siege mortars etc (possibly an eu3-like system with differing unit groups).

Musketeers, Pikemen, Swordsmen and Archers are simply names for differently advanced infantery units already represented by tech levels.

A-A combat system similar to that of HoI2, with climatic and terrain modifiers significantly affecting battles as well as stability, global political and economic modifiers. Units should be able to gain experience and this experience could decrease with combat losses (after all men die and no unit can be elite after 100 years of warfare).

Terrain already has a significant effect on battles. Ever attacked a defending enemy across a river into mountains?
Army units gaining experience that has any significant effects requires standing armies. For most of the games timeframe and most countries standing armies did not exist or were limited to a tiny core of the army. It´s not like in HoI were the timeframe is just a few years of war in which a panzer army can conquer Poland in a month - in FtG like in EU2 the timeframe spans hundreds of years and even marching to the next provinces takes most of a month while men historically dropped like flies due to constant attrition and desertion.

Also the culture of the province determines unit’s culture, and revolt risk in provinces may cause unrest in units with that culture.

Problems with the culture in a province regarding soldiers are already represented in the game: If you try to hire soldiers in a province with a culture that you don´t tolerate then the manpower (and the ability to raise armies there) is much lower than in a province with your own culture.

Musketeers, Pikemen, Swordsmen and Archers are simply names for differently advanced infantery units already represented by tech levels.

Yes, indeed the game represents that with tech levels, but I was trying to make examples of diversity. According to game time frame and aims I agree it makes no sense, even historically, so much diversity at top strategic level. But the point is to have independent units, not groups of thousands soldiers. Maybe it will be better if we talk about 2 units types of infantry, cavalry and artillery (regular or whatever / irregular, tribal or whatever in the case of inf & cav, and field / siege for artillery). Tech advances will tell wich type you are able to recruit, but again in a unit system like EUIII or HoI2. Maybe an elaborated tech tree with culture speciffic techs or based on choices could help with which unit type one's nation is able to recruit. Also I dislike the unit's naming system of EUIII, i mean that all your infantry cannot be longbowmen, or pikemen. Units should be named in a generic form, and maybe add with techs a system of military bonuses to represent, for example, the outstanding performance of longbowmen within english infantry of late medieval times along with men-at-arms, billmen, etc.

Terrain already has a significant effect on battles. Ever attacked a defending enemy across a river into mountains?
Army units gaining experience that has any significant effects requires standing armies. For most of the games timeframe and most countries standing armies did not exist or were limited to a tiny core of the army. It´s not like in HoI were the timeframe is just a few years of war in which a panzer army can conquer Poland in a month - in FtG like in EU2 the timeframe spans hundreds of years and even marching to the next provinces takes most of a month while men historically dropped like flies due to constant attrition and desertion.

Of course I've done so and for me sometimes It seems against real life some battle results on those circumstances. This is a very good achievement in FtG. About standing armies, indeed the time frame depicted in the game has nothing to do with 19th and 20th centuries standars, but it was in the late 15th century when standing armies started to develop after the reforms by Charles VII and Louis XI in France, Charles the Bold in Burgundy and in each case the stablishment of the system of "compagnies d'ordonnance" (maybe in burgundy had other denomination). The point is that in this time not only standing armies were born and developed, but also the State-nation, so: why not having units somethink like HoI2 but in a system intended to depict the time frime?, I mean: tech makes available certain units, the unit's upkeep is affected with tech, the military system could be designed to represent that from 15th to late 17th centuries standing armies were expensive, were far from common use, but yet were born and existed, and from 18th century on they developed, comprised professional soldiers, they were easier to maintain (compared to previous age), they became the rule, and with French revolutions the concepts change and thus the national armies and nationalism become a new variable in this system. I think this could be designed.

On the other hand, I agree with what you say about attrition, lenght of campaigns, completely different warfare compared to HoI2. this must be maintained.

Problems with the culture in a province regarding soldiers are already represented in the game: If you try to hire soldiers in a province with a culture that you don´t tolerate then the manpower (and the ability to raise armies there) is much lower than in a province with your own culture.

Yes, I know, but there could be something more than just what you describe. As in history, one should be able to use to some extent controlled -not yet owned- provinces, maybe recruiting auxiliaries belonging to that province culture (as Cortés with the tlaxclalan in Mexico around 1519), and also units recruited in one province should retain their culture as one of the unit's intrinsic attributes, just like Victoria I. Maybe something in this like could be added.

Thanks for your comments, and I have a question: Is there any new about the future of FtG 1.3, for I've serached this thread and didn't see any definitory.

Regards

Would be nice to be able to view terrain mode with and without troops (like political mode) and the cultures mode with and without borders (like religious mode).
Actually, this would be nice. :)

MMG is cancelled,so maybe some one will back to FTG?

Oh - I knew there were some development problems Magna Mundi, but didn't realise the whole project had been cancelled, if so that's a shame, though I would welcome any further development of FTG, which I still much prefer to EUIII...

If you mean on the map, then no...

Some smaller tweaks I'd like to see:

First of all, the behaviour of TOT cores. Currently, if the owner of a province has a TOT core on that province, he will attack anyone in that province who is not on the same side in a war. So in peace, even allies, lieges, and countries with military access get attacked, even if they don't have a TOT core on that province. I really think TOT cores should only matter if the province is owned by another country. In fact I think that's how it worked in EU2.

Also, as I've said years ago, I still want:
  • An event type persistent = yes that will trigger again and again even if already in the list of triggered events, like in HoI2. If that's not easily doable because of the way the history list works, not writing the ID in the list in the first place for these kind of events would be an acceptable solution.
  • An event trigger that lets me see whether the country receiving the event is a vassal of country XXX, since isvassal = XXX is the same as XXX = { isvassal = yes }, and vassal = { country = XXX country = -1 } doesn't work because only "data" can receive the parameter -1. Same thing for overlords. I remember MichaelM saying something about a "this" parameter, which of course would be the best possible solution.
  • An "impassable" strait which prohibits any kind of unit movement, colonization, or vision across it, but still doesn't display the permanent red border like if you remove the adjacency in adjacent.tbl.
I still haven't given up on 1.3. :)

This idea might come a bit late, but here goes nothing.

Can we tie generic colony names to cities instead of provinces? This way we would get rid of ugly names like "New The Canary Islands".

Noted. (Not sure exactly why that isn't already the case; after all, it's "New Orleans" and "New York", not "New Orleannais" and "New Yorkshire".)

Suggest reduce activity of uprisings (rebel scum) in AI controlled countries. The main reason failure of the country - total county capture by rebels (collapse). AI can't cope with rebels. Reduce rebel influence of event effects - solve the problem.

Last edited: