• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
An interesting style of AAR, incorporating defeat in to the AAR itself, it works well. You are making good progress too, having already defeated Austria, humbled France and bested Scandinavia. Things are looking good, but perhaps the Kaiser should go abroad less/holiday less considering how many wars begin in his absence!

diegoami, two tips that could perhaps help you out:
1. Don't be afraid to raise tariffs to compenasate for expenses, esp. during wartime. As long as it is temporary it won't adversely affect anything while preventing bleeding money as you did.
2. Focusing on industrial technology is certainly a viable tactic but I'd recommend picking up at least the research-boosting technologies from the culture branch. If not you risk falling behind in technology compared to the other great powers. In the same vein neglecting your army tech is a bit of a gamble as well, France may very well have been focusing on just that all this time.
I personally prefer to focus on two tech branches and picking up a few selected ones from the remaining three (until late-game at least). When focusing on just one branch I find the average research speed tanks rather quickly. That's all personal preference though.

Otherwise well done so far :)

An interesting style of AAR, incorporating defeat in to the AAR itself, it works well. You are making good progress too, having already defeated Austria, humbled France and bested Scandinavia. Things are looking good, but perhaps the Kaiser should go abroad less/holiday less considering how many wars begin in his absence!

Hi morningSIDEr, thank you. As I said, I've already played forward without planning an AAR and now I am reconstructing game history from the save files. Therefore, there may some holes in the history, at least in the beginning, when the Kaiser goes on vacation. But I will compensate for that.

diegoami, two tips that could perhaps help you out:
1. Don't be afraid to raise tariffs to compensate for expenses, esp. during wartime. As long as it is temporary it won't adversely affect anything while preventing bleeding money as you did.
2. Focusing on industrial technology is certainly a viable tactic but I'd recommend picking up at least the research-boosting technologies from the culture branch. If not you risk falling behind in technology compared to the other great powers. In the same vein neglecting your army tech is a bit of a gamble as well, France may very well have been focusing on just that all this time.
I personally prefer to focus on two tech branches and picking up a few selected ones from the remaining three (until late-game at least). When focusing on just one branch I find the average research speed tanks rather quickly. That's all personal preference though.

Otherwise well done so far :)

Hi Tourmaline, thank you for the tips. I thought that the tariff slider was evil and I didn't touch that. Thank you for the tip, it will help me in the next game.
I am focusing on industrial technology but I am not forgetting the other branches. I am aware that neglecting the army tech poses a risk ... now :) But you'll see.

1861-1862 : Second war with France

It was August 1861. As expected, the NGF had paid up its war debts and was back in the green. It was time to think about another war with France. But the diplomatic situation hadn't changed. A war with France would have brought Scandinavia, Sardinia, Switzerland, Portugal, Belgium and the Papal State in. While the Federation's allies were far from being enthustiastic to be involved in a war.
Kaiser Besonnenheit made sure, though, that North German troops were ready to invade France any moment.

G1.jpg

Militarily, the NGF wasn't doing too bad, but the Federation had fewer ships than France.

G2.jpg

Kaiser Besonnenheit didn't know what the best course of action should be. Since the Two Sicilies were in the NGF's sphere, and it was August, he thought it would be a great time to spend some time in Italy. He travelled to Naples and asked the Bourbon king to show him the country.
While he was having a great time in Italy, a wild Kaiser appeared in Berlin. It was Kaiser Einfalt ! If he looks like a Kaiser, and he walks like a Kaiser, he must be a Kaiser. Everybody was listening to Kaiser Einfalt. In September 1861, the NGF was at war with France - and allies.

G3.jpg

The coalition's troops, led by France, were outnumbering the NGF almost 2 to 1. Although many troops were probably not going to be involved in the fighting. The NGF didn't call any of its allies to arms, since they might make matters worse.

G4.jpg

But luck helps the fools. One year into the war, French troops were nowhere to be seen, while Belgian, Sardinian, Swiss and Papal troops had been repeatedly defeated by the North German troops.

G5.jpg

G6.jpg

Scandinavia was in the war too, but the NGF was successfully blockading them and could occupy Danemark unhindered. France's ships could have broken the blockade, but they also were nowhere to be seen.
The war score was at 11% in NGF's favour.

G7.jpg

After several years, France would open its war archives and tell where their troops were at the time.

G8.jpg

G9.jpg

G10.jpg

When Kaiser Besonnenheit returned home in November 1862, he found out that Alsace and Lorraine had become German. Yes, fortune helps the fools. The NGF had just demobilized, while France had not, and their troops, in huge number were returning home.

G11.jpg

G12.jpg

How France could have accepted such a peace when they still had so many troops ? Of course, the German troops had already demobilized. To convince himself, he played a Kriegsspiel with his generals. Was such a victory even possible ?

Starting from the situation in July 1862, he was able to occupy virtually all of Belgium by August, while at last some French troops popped up. He didn't mobilize, and the French didn't, either.

G13.jpg

While other minor engagements were being fought in Belgium (by then, Sardinian and Papal troops had retreated), the decisive battle was being fought in Metz.

G13b.jpg

G14.jpg

The battle was won, but at a high price. Technology and Generals were evenly matched, so it is not obvious why the casualties on the German side were so high.

G15.jpg

After this battle, French troops escaped into the French mainland (the Germans did not pursue them, since they were outnumbered) and so the NGF started occupying some French provinces. But in February 1863, France offered to cede Alsace-Lorraine.

G16.jpg

War score 26, peace offer value 29, and you accept ? You feel well, France ?

G17.jpg

So Kaiser Besonnenheit was convinced that Kaiser Einfalt could get Alsace and Lorraine from France, mobilizing. He wished he had been there while that happened. But long story short, in November 1862, Alsace and Lorraine belonged to the North Germany Federation. Of course, Kaiser Besonnenheit was happy with the situation. Although he was annoyed his generals could not tell him from the other Kaiser.

G19.jpg

So now the German Empire could be formed. No, I am kidding. It could not be formed. Do you know why ?
Because BAVARIA HAD BECOME A FREAKING GREAT POWER !!!!!

G18.jpg

Last edited:
A good, solid victory against France. Now time to cut Bavaria down to size!

Puppet bavaria and/or make them admit hegemony.I think other nations are less inclined to sphere puppets

@gav1230 : Welcome !
@spiller68, morningSIDEr, videonfan : Thank you ! I'll show you how I dealt with Bavaria...

Kaiser Einfalt deals with Bavaria

Kaiser Besonnenheits was now convinced that it didn't require a lot of skills to be a Kaiser. After all, an incompetent Kaiser like Kaiser Einfalt was able to get Elsaß-Lothringen from France without much of an effort. So he retired and bought an hacienda in Bolivia, a country which was about to be integrated into NGF's sphere of influence.

Kaiser Einfalt was now ruling over the Federation. He declared war on Bavaria, who had no allies, and by May 1863 it had utterly defeated it.

G1.jpg

But defeating and occupying it wasn't enough to make Bavaria become a secondary power. As Kaiser Einfalt was impatient, he added another wargoal, "Humiliate", to decrease their prestige, and peaced them.
But after that, they were still a Great Power.

G2.jpg

As Kaiser Einfalt didn't care about economics, and was a strong believer in the free market, he let the Liberals govern. So he didn't have to care about the economy. He just made sure the national focuses helped create capitalists.

He also kept developing industry technologies. During that time, the NGF was involved in a war against Brazil to protect the ally Bolivia, which ended in Status Quo.

In 1869, the NGF started another war against Bavaria, that this time was allied to Russia. Unexpectedly, or maybe not, France used the opportunity to declare war on the Federation, to recover Elsaß-Lothringen. The NGF was at war with Russia, France, Spain, Switzerland, Sardinia and the Papal State. Luckily, the allies (including Great Britain and USA) were helping at least against France. But on the continent they would not be of much help.

G3.jpg

G3a.jpg

The situation was pretty confusing. Obviously the NGF had to mobilize. This was the situation in July 1869.

G3d.jpg

France's main push was into Belgium. It was good that Belgium was on our side in this war.

G6.jpg

Luckily, in the war against Russia/Bavaria, our war score was high since we had managed to fully occupy Bavaria. Therefore it was possible to end the war honorably. But not more than that.

G9.jpg

After that, the NGF could concentrate on the French and soon went on the offensive. By December 1869, the French had been pushed out of Belgium and were now retreating on all fronts.

G11.jpg

G12.jpg

Still, it wasn't easy to make them accept a white peace. But we managed that at last.
By 1875, Bavaria had been relegated from the Great Power Status. But regrettably we could not influence them, since we had a truce with them.

G14.jpg

As we feared, Bavaria soon ended up in Austria's sphere of influence, and it would have been virtually impossible to get it diplomatically now.

In the same year, we got involved in an inconclusive war against the Netherlands, since our ally Belgium had called us to arms.

We didn't dare declare war on Austria, since it was allied to Great Britain, Scandinavia and the Ottoman Empire.
But it was Austria, in 1877, that unexpectedly declared war on the NGF, to acquire Moravia back. The war became the Great war, since Austria and Scandinavia were fighting the NGF and the USA.
Soon, France exploited this circumstance to start their own second French Liberation of Elsaß-Lothringen. So the NGF was at war with Austria, Scandinavia, France, Spain, Switzerland, Sardinia and some Italian Minors. Being the defender in both wars meant many of the neutral parties were on the NGF's side, including Bavaria.
The Federation was forced to mobilize.

G24.jpg

Talking of Bavaria, it had reverted to GP status.

G26.jpg

The situation on the front wasn't that horrible. Actually, the war with Austria turned to be pretty phony, since very few Austrian troops were sighted at the border. The NGF concentrated on the French Front then. France had brought more than 500k to the front, who were defeated in a single battle at Nancy.

G28.jpg

The war score, because of the battles we had managed to win, was in our favour. The French would always fall into the trap of attacking smaller armies, that we would reinforce. But still it wasn't enough to white peace.

G27.jpg

While the NGF's budgetary situation was tight, we would be fully able to keep on fighting the war for several months. The Conservatives were back into power, which meant higher taxes could be levied.

G35.jpg

As we now have access to France war archives, we know that France at that time had achieved local superiority. Even defeated, those 500k soldiers would reorganize and probably force the German troops into retreat. Not to mention the other French stacks around.

G30.jpg

It was obvious that the Federation was lagging behind technologically. The NGF's army technology was at 15, while the French were about to get to 18.

G37.jpg

But France's monetary situation was much worse and they were on the verge of bankruptcy.

G39.jpg

We have also access to Austrian archives. Austria's strategic leadership was very incompetent at that time, in fact it was wasting troops on secondary theatres like Serbia and Montenegro, while ignoring the much more important German front. Austria hadn't mobilized yet, though, and had a good balance sheet.
Even the Austrians had better army technologies than the NGF, at 17.

G32.jpg

G33.jpg

While the NGF would survive, the worst case scenario being having to capitulate and give up Moravia and Elsaß-Lothringen, it was on the defensive, and it was unlikely to be able to form the Germany Empire anytime soon. It was a very bad performance, since it was already the year 1877 and in another universe, which many consider to be the real universe, the Empire had been formed in 1871. Not to mention places in the sun...

Meanwhile Kaiser Besonnenheit had returned to Berlin. He was very unhappy with the way things were running in Germany. He wished he had never left and that he had kept running the country. He was pretty sure that there was a critical moment, in the year 1863, when a very wrong decision was taken. Bavaria had been occupied by the Federation's forces, and it was a matter of time until it dropped from the GP status and could be eligible for being sphered through a wargoal - so why peace it? How long could that have taken ? Anything less than 15 years would have been a better result than Kaiser Einfalt's.
There are other things Kaiser Einfalt did wrong. Forgetting about army technologies was criminal. Kaiser Besonnenheit wished he had the opportunity to go back in time and take another path for Germany. And that opportunity was given to him. He was brought into a parallel universe, where the year was 1862 and the NGF was about to declare war to Bavaria.

Next update in a week.

Last edited:
Good luck defeating not 1 or 2 but a wholesome of 3 ​fronts.

Very well fought wars for the most part. As Kaiser Besonnenheit knows all too well it was simply a pity peace was secured with Bavaria too early in the first war with them. Nonetheless the NGF gave a good account of themselves in the wars which followed.

@spiller, morningSIDEr : Thank you.
@videonfan : I will not be fighting the 3-front war in the near future, but I will revert instead to the 1862 save file and try and form the German Empire another way, using Kaiser Besonnenheit's hopefully smarter approach. I might come back later to Kaiser Einfalt's "universe".
@qwertyuiop2 : It is perfectly possible to form the NGF peacefully, if Holstein, Danemark, Hannover, Saxony and the other German minors are in your sphere of influence, as they were in this screenshot. After forming the NGF Sweden snatched Danemark though.

1863-1874 : The German Empire

Well into the year 1863, Kaiser Besonnenheit's NGF was still occupying Bavaria.

G1.jpg

As in Kaiser Einfalt's universe, the Federation had to go to war against Brazil, to defend the ally Bolivia and Paraguay. Occuping some provinces in Southern Brazil and routing one of their armies was enough to get a white peace.
Regrettably, because of a coup Bolivia would end up outside of Germany's sphere of influence. The NGF would maintain a military presence in South America from that time on.

G2.jpg

In 1870, Egypt was added to the NGF's sphere of influence. Therefore, after researching the necessary technologies, the NGF could build the Suez channel. It was a prestige boost for the young country. The Suez province was automatically added to the Federation.

G3.jpg

By 1870, though, Bavaria was still a GP and the Kaiser was starting to get impatient. He started investing in Belgium and Portugal, to drive their industrial score higher. He wondered where Bavaria got their prestige from.

G4.jpg

But at last, in 1874, several countries became stronger than Bavaria...

G5.jpg

Therefore, Bavaria was not longer a GP and it could be added to the NGF's sphere through a wargoal, that Bavaria had no choice but to accept. This enabled a decision, Three Hurras for Germany...

G6.jpg

Therefore, in July 1874, the German Empire was born.

G7.jpg

Kaiser Besonnenheit wouldn't make the same mistakes as Kaiser Einfalt. He was researching army technologies.

G8.jpg

Few countries were in the Empire's sphere of influence, but they were rich in raw materials : Argentina, Egypt, Peru and the Netherlands.

G9.jpg

The German Empire's production capacity was growing steadily. The country was not indebted.

G10.jpg

But the Kaiser had been forgetting something important : colonization. It dawned on him that he should have established some German presence outside of Europe long ago. Now it might be late for that.
He decided that would see that as an additional challenge and moved on.

G11.jpg

He pondered on a world map where Germany should expand next.

G12.jpg

He pondered on a world map where Germany should expand next.

Where indeed.

Good that Germany was formed quite easily in this alternate timeline, she's in a very good position to begin exerting her new-found power too.

Disintigrate Austria!please :D

You could try to take the Ottomans on. BTW, very nice AAR so far, I'm thinking of getting this now. Thank you for this awesome AAR