• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sorry, Shiggs, We must have been writing our replies at the same time, so I didn't notice yours at first.

It's been a blast, which is one of the reasons the updates come so fast. :D I'm sorry to see it end within the week, but the fact that it was so fun as to make me want to play until the end (never before managed by me in this or any TW games) makes me think it's worth it.

I'll definately get some pics of the world up, if not soon then at the end of the game.

Since this is me we're talking about, it'll most likely be another mediocre AAR. :D I'm kind of torn between doing a single faction AAR (Golden Horde) or doing another multi-country one, but trying to tie the stories together more. I'm hoping when I finish this one I can get some input on what people would rather read.

Force Change said:
Its been great to read. But really want to see the world at its end.

Whats next? Another great aar?

You're not writing mediocre aars! I love them, all of them. Plus, your aar output is large and that's always good!

Zimfan said:
mediocre AAR

he problem with that is; who will write it for you?

Thanks, guys. I really enjoy writing these. Still, in a forum with writers like Canonized and Storey, sometimes I feel like I'm standing in the shadows of giants.

Tomorrow should see updates for both this andthe other AAR. I was almost afraid that the last few updates would consist of Italy and Russia beating on hapless Egypt and Sibir, but something happens that ensures the last Russian turn or two at least will be very exciting.

Zimfan said:
Thanks, guys. I really enjoy writing these. Still, in a forum with writers like Canonized and Storey, sometimes I feel like I'm standing in the shadows of giants.

Tomorrow should see updates for both this andthe other AAR. I was almost afraid that the last few updates would consist of Italy and Russia beating on hapless Egypt and Sibir, but something happens that ensures the last Russian turn or two at least will be very exciting.

This is a different type of AAR from canonized's, so don't worry. You do what you do well and I enjoy it.

So you/Russian AI found Sibir a problem as well? They're kinda ahistorically resilient.

Oh it's not Sibir that's the problem. Some other power shows up in the region that will be a problem. :D

RGB said:
This is a different type of AAR from canonized's, so don't worry. You do what you do well and I enjoy it.

So you/Russian AI found Sibir a problem as well? They're kinda ahistorically resilient.

Zimfan said:
Oh it's not Sibir that's the problem. Some other power shows up in the region that will be a problem. :D

Tease!

Sorry about the unannounced hiatus everyone. Things have been a bit busy lately, and I let myself get distracted. Time to finish this.

Pro Given the way I update (one turn at a time) this was about my only chance for a cliffhanger. :D

Shiggs Thanks. There were a few tricky parts early on, but it's certainly gone more or less well for both factions since. I guess I'm a better player that when I did my first aar ruining all those different countries.

derAleks I will start the next update as soon as I finish this post. :)

Force Change For my next aar? I'll probably finish my Navarrese one first, then I have a couple ideas for possible new aars. Mainly I need to decide whether I want my next one to be a multi-faction aar like this one, or single faction one.

rcduggan Continuing right now.

A little update of the situation for those, by which I mean me, who may have slightly fuzzy memories.

Faction: Russia
Turn Number: Very large
Memory of playing turn: Somewhat vague

In 1754, King Ivan IV, a good general but rather poor diplomat, found himself at war with the Mughals. Noone is quite sure how the war started, although some speculate that it had something to do with certain comments made by the Russian King concerning the mother of the Mughal emperor. Whatever the cause, it would not be as onesided as some of Russia's more recent wars. The Mughals outnumber Russia in cavalry, although the latter had a large infantry advantage, somewat inflated on paper by the inclusion of the forces of Russian allies like Poland who had little chance of getting their armies to the front.

Early victories would go to the Russians, although as often as not they would there would be as many or more Russian casualties as Mughal and Kazak ones.

Finally, after starting a strong spring offensive into Kazak land in spring of 1755, a separate peace was negotiated with them, with their being forced to cede the territories of Argyn and Kyzyl Kum.

Just as things were looking up, a series of devastating losses followed. By far the most deadly was the battle of Mangyshlak, in which some 30,000 Russians perished, putting out of commission one of the countries main armies. At the same time smaller losses pushed the Russians out of Mughal territory. While their infantry was still weaker than the more advanced Russians, Mughal cavalry had apparently outstripped them, and they gained many of their casualties by chasing the Russian infantry as they routed.

The arrival of Polish reinforcements enabled the Russians to consolidate their armies, and King Ivan went for a different tactic. Until the larger Mughal forces were eliminated, the many Russian armies would merge into a few especially large ones. This tactic worked and in 1756 another major push into Mughal territory occurred, with horrendous losses for the Mughals.

Finally the balance of power shifted back away from the Mughals, and they found much of their territory occupied. After long negotiations, they agreed to cede Kerey, Nady, and Kulenda.

Most Monarchs would have taken the chance to consolidate their gains after a hardfought war, but King Ivan. Ostensibly because they had bailed out on the war with the Mughals so early, he canceled Russia's alliance with Sibir. As soon as a chance to strike came, when Sibir went to war with Manchu, he sent a formal declaration of war to Sibir. His closest advisors knew his casus belli was a rationalization, and that King Ivan had a mad dream of Russia expanding all the way to the Pacific ocean, but their was little they could do about it.

Even at peacetime levels, Russia's forces far outnumbered Sibir's, and even without taking into account Russia's technological superiority their was little question who would win. Most of Sibir was overrun and they were forced to cede 6 territories. Betwen this war and the one with the Mughals, Russia's borders had come very close to the Pacific Ocean.

With the 18th century entering it's last half, it began to look as if nothing could stop Russian expansion eastward. Kazak started a short war in 1760, bringing the Mughals into it, but not even the Mughal empire could stad against Russia now. Kazak was promptly vassalized and the Mughals released the nation of Buluchistan, adding yet another country to fight against them in any Russo-Mughal wars.

Russia's new eastern border:

The new nation of Buluchistan. I wonder about war scores, because I've seen one province nations have higher ones to be released, while it was pretty low for this bigger country. Maybe it's tied to province income?

That Russian army you can see was an all cav army I used to rampage through Mughal territory, trying to kill 1,000 man reinforcement armies.

Last edited:
In 1764, President Carlo Paleglogi Montferrato came into power, and like most Italian President/Dictators before him, he began his reign with a war against the Mamluks. This time the goal would be to damage the Mamluks as much as possible, rather than get territory off of them. The only major territorial war aim was Diamienta, needed to connect several of Italy's Egyptian territories. The Mamluks were not the major power they used to be, especially deprived of the Yemenia aid they once had. Less than ayear later, they agreed to cede Diamienta and Dayz az Zor, and more importantly released Georgia, Oman, and Haasa, suffering a net loss of 9 territories.

Italy's reputation had suffered from its many wars, and President Carlo decided it would not do to make any more territorial conquests, at least for now. Over the next few years, the only acquisitions wuold be Tanga and Mombasa, both of which defected to Italy.

Then in 1767 the Mughals invaded Italy's ally Oman. The president was somewhat wary, knowing that the Mughals held no territory he wanted, but at the same time Italian prestige would suffer if they did not come to the aid of their ally. He declared that this would be a war of liberation, with the intent of freeing those oppressed by the yoke of Mughal imperialism.

The first battles occurred in the Middle East, where the Mughals had a few territories. The battle of Azerbaijan set the tone of the war. The Mughals lost 35,000 men there, to our 8,000.

After easily taking their Middle Eastern provinces, it became apparent that the Mamluks separated Italy from the bulk of Mughal territory. President Carlo had to arrange military access through Russia to enable Italy's armies to march to the heart of Mughal territory. This worked, and the Mughal's ally Khorasan quickly folded.

Left alone, the Mughals accepted a ceasefire, releasing the countries of Persia, Sind, Gujarat, and Rajputana. Hopefully this would show them what happens when you challenge Italy.

The next few years saw a new President, Romeo Casanova (interesting name that), who broke the tradition of declaring war on the Mamluks. Not out of intent, but because Italy's ally Georgia was kind enough to declare war on the Mamluks. One incredibly short war later and the Mamluks ceded most of Egypt.

Italy would see one last war in the 1770s, drawn into a battle with Zimbabwe by their ally France. This one was just as easy as the Italo-Mamluk wars, and Italy soon annexed almost all of Zimbabwe, including many rich gold and ivory producing territories.

Over the past decade Italy went from a major regional power to a superpower rivaling France and England.

All caught up to where I'd played to several weeks ago. Sorry the last two updates aren't more detailed. It had been a while since I played them. :eek:o I will get back to work playing tonight.

Wow, Italy's unstoppable.

Russia doing well enough but isn't as far east as historically. Oh well.

You seem to be running out of time fast

Great, you're back! I thoroughly enjoy both this AAR and the Navarra one.

Nice going here, interesting to see how far you'll get before time runs out...

It's alive! :cool:

But what will new Italian rulers do when there will be no more Mamluks to fight against? :p