• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ah that clears it up then. Cool. I think most people don't mind edits or cheats in order to better provide a story. At least I know I don't, so don't worry about people thinking you're editing the files in order to "win" or whatever, especially if you're only doing so to correct stuff here and there. There's a reason most people don't do their AARs in Ironman mode, because these games tend to go crazy pretty often and the console is a good tool to fix things when they go awry. I do remember the Ruin bastards running around my old games of AGOT mod. Daenerys even managed to birth one at some point, despite the fact that she was 100% infertile o_O.

Is there a reason you only watched the first two seasons? You definitely missed out on some incredible scenes from season 3 and 4.

Reactions:
Ah that clears it up then. Cool. I think most people don't mind edits or cheats in order to better provide a story. At least I know I don't, so don't worry about people thinking you're editing the files in order to "win" or whatever, especially if you're only doing so to correct stuff here and there. There's a reason most people don't do their AARs in Ironman mode, because these games tend to go crazy pretty often and the console is a good tool to fix things when they go awry. I do remember the Ruin bastards running around my old games of AGOT mod. Daenerys even managed to birth one at some point, despite the fact that she was 100% infertile o_O.
Exactly, the random game flow goes terrible in terms of narratives, so of course it would be hard to completely ignore the console and file editing. But like I said, what I did for my benefit was at the beginning, so the AAR don't end too soon. Other than that, I just want people to have decent names - for example Aerion's son is Baethon, and soon Valarr's son was born as Baeryn... Then I started again and he got named Baelor (after grandpa). And third time, it gave Daeron! Come on, mod, you can do better than that! :p
So now Valarr's son is named Viserys, while stillborn daughter got redesigned to a son Daeron (so the name stays somehow, but won't be Daeron the Third too soon).

Is there a reason you only watched the first two seasons? You definitely missed out on some incredible scenes from season 3 and 4.

Yeah, there is, and the reason were the scenes I guess... I stopped at one of first episodes of Season 3, when Theon Greyjoy got caught, and... you know... I didn't take his screams too well that day so I decided to watch it some time later... It appeared I never returned again. Years later I tried to watch it again with my wife, but we also stopped with Season 2. Now, with a small child running around there is no possibility to watch "gore" series, so maybe someday we will return.
I'd rather read the book, but knowing that I already have a "hall of shame" on my book shelf, I won't buy another one too soon :(

Last edited:
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I already have a "hall of shame" on my book shelf, I won't buy another one too soon :(
I feel you on that one. I have a huge backlog of games and books I've yet to play/read and probably never will, yet I keep buying more stuff. It's genuinely a problem :rolleyes:.

Well it's a shame about you dropping the show, but completely understandable. Perhaps it was for the best, since after season 4 the quality greatly declines as the writers run out of material to adapt from the books.

Reactions:
I feel you on that one. I have a huge backlog of games and books I've yet to play/read and probably never will, yet I keep buying more stuff. It's genuinely a problem :rolleyes:.

Well it's a shame about you dropping the show, but completely understandable. Perhaps it was for the best, since after season 4 the quality greatly declines as the writers run out of material to adapt from the books.

If you choose to truck on with the rest of the show, then the end of Season 6 and S8E2 are both great places to stop and instead make up your own ending IMO.

Reactions:
Chapter 6

Warmongers (211-213 AC)

My dear successor,

We, maesters, are serving all lords of Seven Kingdoms, but our loyalty to the Citadel and Westeros as a whole stays unbound. We may be moved around, get assigned to other employers, sometimes we focus on greater research or get other tasks. Our diligence may also be awarded with the title of archmaester, to become part of the Conclave, choosing one among them to take leadership as Grand Maester and serve the king. But whatever happens, we cannot ever forget this duty, as we are one of the elements bonding Seven Kingdoms together.

This means that even if we never meet in person, my work is never fully done and you shall take over my duties at the lord’s court. Therefore I decided to leave you a short testimony of the events that you may, or may not hear later. It will be up to you how you use this knowledge, as per words of House Brightflame: Knowledge lights the way, like a torch. And as Lord Justys once said, the torch is but a tool and it is up to people how they use it.

The first eyewitness of Brightflame’s road to greatness was Archmaester Arnolf, who served Lord Justys before me, seeing both his righteousness and benevolence, as well as the cuelty of feeding his own wife to a dragon. The Targaryen blood runs in them and this could be felt in every step they take. I could also see myself light of their glory, and you will also become part of their story.

Arnolf has already documented most of events from his days here, which I also checked and filled some of the gaps. So now let me share what I witnessed during my service here in Harrenhal.

And I have to say, my beginnings appeared to come in turbulent times. The old king Daeron the Good, who won his rule with smart decisions, as well as defeating his claimant half-brother, have been already stuck to his bed for an year, passing most of responsibilities to his Small Council, with Prince Baelor of Dragonstone as a Hand.

Screenshot 85.png

This stalemate didn’t last long and on the 24th day of the fifth moon, 211 years after Aegon’s Conquest, Daeron, second of his name, breathed his last. He left the kingdoms in mourning, mainly among the smallfolks, as some lords still held their grudge for favoring Dornish people during his reign, when it was also assumed his son shall continue this bad habit.

Screenshot 80.png

The Iron Throne passed then to Baelor, second of his name, who won his nickname of Breakspear in his youth already, winning the tourney in 187 AC. Some lords gossiped of a bad omen, bothered with his namesake being the feeblest king, but what was the worst was his Dornish-like appearance, as the dark skin, hard facial features and black hair were making jealous lords believe that Martells, not Targaryens ruled now the kingdom.

Screenshot 84.png

Therefore we couldn’t wait long when Blackfyres raised their head out of hiding again, with Aegor and his Golden Company landing near Rook’s Rest not long after the coronation ceremony ended. Young Daemon, the oldest surviving son, decided to fight for his claims, calling himself a king Daemon II.

Screenshot 88.png

And so the Second Blackfyre Rebellion fired up the realm once more, however only few lords actually decided to stand against the rightful heir. Lords of Stokeworth, Spottswood, Bardshome and Sea Dragon Point supported the claimant, which didn’t provide them great forces.

Screenshot 89.png

In this war, Lord Medgar Tully as a member of Small Council took side of his king, calling all lords who swore him fealty to raise their arms in his name. Although, what we in Harrenhal knew already, but it was still putting the name of Brightflame on the edge of dishonor, Lord Justys decided to stay neutral in this conflict. As he said, he still acknowledges King Baelor as a ruler, but no matter who is right or wrong, he will never choose sides in “these pointless quarrels” between his nephews.

Screenshot 90.png

And so Justys returned back to Harrenhal with his children, resigning from his place in Lord Tully’s council. He left not only his role of spymaster, but also his newly granted title of Keeper of the Swans, the duty giving lots of honor to its bearer. What he took back with him was a promise of favor earned from Lord Robert Blackwood for support in the council, as they served together in Riverrun at the time.

Screenshot 87.png

We were wondering of what sanctions will be put on our lands later, assuming this was the worst to expect from our lord now. How wrong we were, when we saw who he welcomed to his castle some other day, when the carriage arrived. Who came out of it was none other than “queen” Daenerys Blackfyre, his niece and sister-wife of Daemon! It appeared she travelled together with her husband and their children across the sea, but with road back to Essos blocked by the king’s fleet and without enough supporters in Westeros, she chose to run inland to the only place where she thought she wouldn’t be thrown in dungeon right after showing up, or to be traded later for pardon. And of course she was right, as Lord Justys greeted her like sister and offered bread and salt to her and her 4 children, as a sign of hospitality. They received rooms to stay and were allowed to move freely within the castle.

Day after this, Brightflame called out all his councillors, reminding them of keeping the stay of Daenerys confidential, not allowing any words to spread outside the walls. This was of course to keep her safe from Baelor’s spies and thugs, who’d gladly cut throats of Blackfyres.

Until the war is over, Lord Justys decided to focus on his heir, Aerys, to prepare him to his future role of a lord of Harrenhal. He introduced him with all his daily duties as a holder, inviting to our council meetings, showing him around the fortress during breaks, advising on what actions might be needful in the future.

Screenshot 91.png

He was also telling the stories of their predecessors, to make him aware of their tragic fate. For now, Lord of the Light seemed to watch over them, but the Curse of Harrenhal was known to take over in next generation. In my opinion, Justys is the first lord who could be truly called successful when ruling over the Hoare’s old fortress, ever since its foundation.

I saw the lord quite comfortable with bringing up his own children, as what I heard was not the case during his encounter with young Tullys. Harbert, son of lord’s brother, Ser Edmure, was avoiding whatever duties he tried to give him, often claiming to have his stomach aching. Though with some patience, his hard work became fruitful, when Harbert proved himself as decent swordsman.

Screenshot 92.png
Screenshot 93.png

At the same time, Lord of the Light seemed to bless our lord in many ways. For instance, he was able to convince Lord Medgar to abandon his faith in Seven, setting up new hierarchy for Harrenhal, on top with new autonomous High Priest residing in Riverrun.

Our lord’s dedication to the Red God didn’t go unnoticed, as he’s been praised many times by his main chaplain, Tristana. But the final proof came actually from Jared. Even this wicked priest couldn’t deny the signs that he saw in sacred flame hold in temple. The vision in flame was clear, R’hllor himself calling Justys a favored one.

Screenshot 94.png

But he already got his own visions, shared to him by the dragons in his dreams. This time, they warned him of grave danger hanging over his life. Our informers confirmed this after investigation – apparently, the person holding grudge against him was Lady Arsa, the wife of Lord Edmure Tully. Justys haven’t dealt with her that many times to feel like offending her, but nevertheless sister-in-law of Lord Paramount wanted him dead. We doubled the efforts to secure everyone’s safety in Harrenhal, while our liege sent her a letter, hoping to reason with her, but his efforts went unanswered. At least we hoped that knowing we also know, she will restrain from serious attempts.

Screenshot 95.png

As suspected, rebellion triggered by Daemon II didn’t last long. On the second moon of 212 AC, pretender was already in chains in Red Keep, awaiting trial for treason.

Screenshot 97.png

But when everyone thought the fights were over, and the Westerosi armies disbanded, Daemon’s older sister and wife of Captain Aegor, Lady Calla, declared herself a pretender in her brother’s place. And so the war flared up again, under banners of a new queen.

Screenshot 98.png

In Harrenhal, someone else found a place in the dungeon. It was Ser Morros Azantys, and it happened not long after he’s been acknowledged as noble and married to one of Essosi maidens of Lady Vaesys. He was accused of plotting against Tristana, to be declared a regent in her place. Lord Karyl proved him guilty during trial, but when everyone expected harsh sentence, Lord Justys actually pardoned him and brought back to his court, but Ser Morros decided later to leave court anyway, holding a grudge against us. From what I heard he joined one of sellswords companies fighting for money.

Screenshot 99.png

Similar sentences heard few lords standing in front of the king, after raising their arms against him. One of pardoned lords was Ser Rolland Cockshaw, who proved guilty, was released from prison nevertheless. The one who wouldn’t expect light treatment was Daemon Blackfyre, therefore he decided to take a chance in trial by combat. King Baelor could refuse him, but he didn’t – instead, he honorably promised to leave him be in case of win. The fortune proved that day to be a mischievous lady, as Daemon himself fought back against Ser Roland Crakehall in combat, forcing him to yield. This way, Lord Daemon went out of Red Keep and returned on his ship back to Essos. But even with Daemon set free, Aegor and Calla didn’t stop fighting, so the turmoil continued.

Screenshot 100.png

Funny enough, Lady Daenerys stayed in Harrenhal, as she didn’t take opportunity to go back with her husband, who according to gossips preferred male company more than his wife. Nevertheless her presence here was now officially known, which caused some other Targaryens to send her life threats, Lady Elaena among them. Lord Justys had to soothe them up, taking full responsibility for her stay in Westeros.

Screenshot 101.png

Sadly enough, not long after Lord Justys appraised his loyal servant, Ser Addam fell sick and died in Widow’s Tower. Many asked lord to take over Addam’s assignment, hoping for greater splendor, but Brigthflame left Widow’s Tower in charge with his brother, Ser Luthor. At the same time, Ser Addam’s responsibility as Master-at-arms was given to Lord Arlan Lolliston, but as he already served as Justiciar, Ser Daemon Longwaters was introduced to the council to take over his old place.

Screenshot 103.png

Next year, in 213 AC, we have seen the fights in Crownlands done, with Lady Calla caught alive in one of battles. Her husband managed to get away with his company, but the war was finally over, and Calla stayed locked until trial. She decided to take trial by combat like Daemon did, calling her other brother and husband’s namesake, Ser Aegor Blackfyre, to fight as her champion. But Aegor couldn’t overwhelm Ser Rolland fighting against him and died slain in duel. Soon Calla was publicly beheaded on steps of Great Sept of Baelor, and Blackfyre Rebellion was over, once more.

Screenshot 106.png

Screenshot 107.png

Between years 213 and 214 AC, another Blackfyres held captive by King Baelor were publicly beheaded as traitors – Aenys and soon later, his sister-wife Rhaenys. They orphaned a girl named Helaena, who until now stayed with her aunt Daenerys in Harrenhal, and so it settled she will stay here for good.

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 7 - part 1

The ups and downs (214-216 AC)

With beginning of the year 214 AC, the fate seemed to keep bothering House of Brightflame. Lord Justys got one of his visions, where he saw wish of death towards Priestess Tristana. This time however, another dream showed him the responsible person, which appeared to be his new wife, Jeyne Waters. While their marriage was still fresh, it appeared to not be very compassionate, as Lady Jeyne was rather reserved with her feelings, especially in bedroom. She was very ambitious and stubborn though, which in the end led to her envy towards his beloved mistress.

The news angered Lord Justys, so he confronted his wife, which was not easy as Lady Jeyne often loosed her tongue and didn’t mince words. But unlike Lady Danelle, her misdeed was not heavy, and in the end, he just talked her out of threatening Triss.

Screenshot 108.png
Screenshot 109.png

Recently staying in Harrenhal, Lord Justys tried to focus on fortress’s growth. During council meetings, he discussed couple of times with his treasurer, Alaric, on improving their spending. Some ideas appeared quite promising, and our lord agreed to use them.

Screenshot 110.png

Our lord had also other problems, which would be easier to overwhelm if he was not that stubborn. Ever since he allowed Lady Blackfyre to stay at Harrenhal with her children, our loyalty to Targaryens were put to the test. But nothing has changed, and Lord of Harrenhal regularly sends declarations of staying loyal to King Baelor.

Screenshot 112.png

His fealty to royal family should be undoubted in my opinion, as long before the conflict Lord Brightflame actively sympathized with faction of crown loyalists in Riverlands, however earlier he was obliged by Lord Tully to stay out of factions. But with the war’s end, Lord Justys engaged once again and soon became actual leader of Iron Throne supporters in Trident.

But even despite opposing Lord Tully, leaving his council and breaking obligations to support militarily during rebellion, Lord Justys was in the end invited to a feast organized in Riverrun. There weren’t any surprises during the event, and soon our lord was back home.

Screenshot 113.png

It appeared that it was the last meeting with Lord Medgar, as he died frothing at his mouth, where none of his medics, or red priests known for their miracles, were able to help him. His older son, Bryan, also died last year, suffering from Greyscale. Bryan had only one brother, Merrett, and it was he who inherited Riverrun in the end.

Medgar’s children were still faithful to the Andal gods, so the rule of R’hllor’s priests in Trident ended, with High Priest Noroquo losing his position and running to Harrenhal to avoid prosecution. This way our priests are now reporting directly to Volantis, as High Priests of Stormlands don’t have any power here.

Also, with Merrett Tully inheriting titles, his sisters became next successors, and the oldest Jeyne was already betrothed with the oldest of Brightflame’s sons, Lord Aerys– and not long after this he was already in age to marry. The wedding party in their name was arranged with the end of year.

Screenshot 114.png

Lord Justys returned back to Harrenhal at the right time, as it happened that Nyx laid an egg. This sums up to the new dragon era, as from among old eggs laid before last dragon’s death only one survived, owned by Lord Butterwell. Others not hatched were destroyed during attempts.

Right now we have 4 dragon riders – Justys with Nyx, Elaena with Volon, Aerion with Heartfyre and his brother Aemon with the youngest of dragons, named Gurogon. First new egg was laid by Volon around 3 years ago, which Elaena gave to her grandson, Ser Maynard Plumm. The one from Nyx was hidden in Brightflame’s treasury to be granted later to one of his children. And from the latest news, they are saying that Heartfyre should also lay an egg next year. Ser Aerion already declared that he will give his dragon’s egg to his son, Baethon.

Screenshot 111.png

Return of the rightful lord back to Harrenhal was not convenient to everyone as you may think, as during his absence, the council held responsibility for lordship’s affairs. Most councillors didn’t mind to return to previous situation, but some of them already got used to new power.

Main instigator was Lord Arlan Lolliston, who held some grudge against Lord Justys, as he was already moved to new role in council once, and he was afraid of losing his position completely. Knowing Lord Brightflame’s unpredictable behavior, you cannot blame Arlan for his worries, although scheming against the lord he swore allegiance to was hard treason. Something like this was impossible to hide forever, and with Justys and his dragon dreams, it was only a matter of time. Once uncovered, Lord Brightflame ordered to lock his master-at-arms in prison, to await his judgement.

Screenshot 115.png

What he didn’t suspect was that Lord Arlan may demand trial by combat. He was sure of himself, as chose to fight personally in trial, without deputing any champion. To honor his decision and to prove his own rights, Lord Justys picked up the challenge by taking out his own sword.

Screenshot 116.png

Their duel was fierce, where Lord Justys proved to be a competent swordsman, sending swift attacks to his opponent. One of them had to finally end it, but none seemed to gain advantage, taking 30 minutes of constant blows. Lord Arlan’s defense was good, but not impenetrable, so in the end his older body tired out and our lord found a weak spot, breaking opponent’s stance and sinking True Monarchist deep into Lord Lolliston’s chest. The red stain marked the floor where his body fell, standing as proof of him being guilty, and justice being brought to Harrenhal’s walls.

Screenshot 117.png
Screenshot 118.png

Ser Symond, his son, became new lord of Lolliston – and replaced his father in his role in Lord Brightflame’s council. While appreciated for his abilities, there was no doubt that Symond would not easily forgive Lord Justys for killing his father, even in fair duel. Officially he declared his loyalty and worked hard on army issues, but the relations between Symond and Justys are terrible and probably this will last for years.

During next year new lord of Lolliston didn’t openly claim the title or spoke ill of our lord. Though instead of direct scheming, he is most probably responsible of spreading vicious rumours against Brightflames, undermining their right to rule in Harrenhal. Our spy network had to work hard to soften up these rumours.

Screenshot 125.png

Lord Justys has also talked to all his vassals during one of council meeting – while he watched his new master-at-arms more than usual – discouraging them of any attempts to claim Harrenhal, probably warned by one of his dreams.

But before that, they both had an occasion to prove their worth as knights in a fine tradition of tourney, organized by Lord Karyl in his estate in Atranta. All knights serving under Brightflame’s banners were invited, and as many arrived.

Screenshot 120.png

Our lord decided to participate as well. He was not a swordsman, neither he was a good rider, but this was his chance to prove something to everyone – that he is the greatest knight in our lands and no one should even question it.

Every competitor went through series of clashes with others, where mounting off his horse meant exclusion of further fight. The stake was not that great in comparison to bigger tourneys, but still everyone did their best. Lord Symond fought well, but was eventually knocked off and had to withdraw. His younger brother, Ser Roger, was more successful, even defeating the tourney’s favoured competitor, loyal knight of Lords of Atranta, Ser Waltyr, while wounding him badly. But in the end, Ser Roger didn’t manage to reach finals.

Screenshot 122.png

Lord Justys on the other hand fought and won respectively with Ser Hendry, one of his bodyguards, then Ser Jon Vance, the oldest son of their host and Ser Raylon Lolliston, Symond’s youngest brother. The last one gave Justys a true challenge, as neither of them could throw the opponent to the ground for long time.

Screenshot 121.png

Clash with Ser Raylan was last before finals, where our lord’s opponent was Ser Petyr, also one of the knights in Atranta. Petyr’s previous fight with Ser Karyl Harlton was quite entertaining, so everyone expected a real show. And it was worth the last fight, as Ser Petyr proved to be worthy to challenge Lord Justys. However, as no one really expected it, Lord Brightflame became a winner of this tourney, once he sent Petyr off his horse with the last tilt.

Screenshot 123.png
Screenshot 124.png

--------

Sorry, this chapter seemed to be quite long and definitely had too many screenshots for the post, but instead of cutting pictures off, I decided to split the chapter, so another part will appear next week.
This is also because I'm getting out of source material - I've got text up to 223 AC, but now it appeared I accidentally broke the save file around that date (no backup, unfortunately), and most of artefacts disappeared... including Brightflame's valyrian sword and other stuff...
I was unable to fix it, so the only thing I could do was going back... from 227 AC :( And as I'm going on vacation next week, I won't probably have enough time to play and write down one more chapter, so I hope you'll forgive me for this small cliffhanger... Don't worry, I chose the best point to split up the storyline, so missing content is separate from what was happening here.

Here you can see the details of what did I break - but of course SPOILERS:

King Baelor II died in 223 AC and when Valarr ascended the throne, I thought it's stupid that he inherited the same crown of Aegon IV as his predecessors. Daeron II had to use it to cut off speculations about his fatherhood, Baelor's character and situation also explained it smoothly. But to me, kind and chivalric Valarr didn't match with this picture, so I decided to change his default crown. Unfortunately, I added some additional crowns from the mod that were not created yet (Maekar and Stannis crowns), to see how he might look like. Stupid, of course, so I deleted them... but then, it seems I left some extra bracket in the code or something...
BTW, since it's a spoiler already, Valarr looked better in two other crowns from king's treasury, but asking my wife for opinion I chose Aegon III's circlet as the target.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Enjoy Your Vacation! Follow Your Wife's Advice! BrightFlame Wins!
Thanks :) After first chapters I put the routine of adding new one every Sunday, so this time I will post part 2 on Thursday or Friday before I leave, and next chapter will appear once I'm back.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 7 - part 2

Father’s day (216 AC)

Once the tourney ended Lord Justys, not that busy with specific dues, could focus more on newlywed Lord Aerys. Lady Jeyne became pregnant, so Justys wanted to prepare his future successor for all the duties and started introducing him to all matters of the realm. The amount of work he put in his young son seemed to be too exhausting, and during this time Aerys, very ambitious and proud for his age, became visibly gloomier and anxious.

Screenshot 127.png

While they came to see Harrenhal’s red temple, priest Jared approached both lords. He’s been impressed with talents of young Aerys for a while and on an occasion of their visit he offered his service, helping with young lordling’s religious education, to explain him some issues from the holy books. In exchange he asked for a favor, in case he ever gets in need in the future. While known of his vile behavior, no one diminished his vast knowledge of scripts in topic of Lord of the Light, and Lord Justys reluctantly agreed to this offer.

Screenshot 126.png

On a bright side, Aerys got closer with Walder, son of Commander Allard of Tower of Dread. Allard was brother of Ser Myles, who accompanied Justys during his travels in Essos. Their children were raised in the castle, so as children of other commanders, but Aerys likes to spend more time with him.

Screenshot 128.png

The whole introduction to matters of ruling by father, who is capable in many fields, might have helped Aerys with his education. He always seemed to be a genius, showing talent in all fields, but until 16 we were focusing more on diplomatic matters – as wished by Lord Justys. In my opinion, nobody who hears Aerys speaking may doubt in his silver tongue.

Screenshot 129.png

But before this happened, happiness came to Harrenhal with safe birth of Qoherys, son of Aerys and Jeyne. He was named in honor of first Valyrians who ruled Harrenhal before them.

Screenshot 130.png

Of other things that happened around the time, Lord Merrett of Riverrun asked Justys to return to his council, taking place of Master-at-Arms, which he agreed to take. Not long after he met with Maester Tywell, who appeared to search supporters in the council, to outweigh power of lord’s current regent, Lord Arwood Chambers of Turnbridge. This way Tywell owed Justys a due.

Screenshot 131.png
Screenshot 132.png

Also before leaving, Justys turned his interest to current condition of fortress. He asked his castellan to spend the money on renewing Tower of Dread. He hoped to start the work during his absence, so he can see effects once back. Lord Karyl seemed to slack off with supervising construction though, so Ser Allard urged him in Brightflame’s presence, to make sure the work goes right.

Screenshot 133.png

The work hasn’t been cheap and it took lot of our reserves, but thankfully we seem to manage pretty well. Lord Justys mentioned once of his dream of renewing the whole castle, to bring back Harrenhal’s former glory, from before the dragon flames hit its walls. This will require huge amount of gold dragons, so we will see if with current spending, first of Brightflames will get a chance to live long enough to see this dream coming true...

Harrenhal at it's current state - artistic vision by Lino Drieghe:

Harrenhal.jpg

------

And thank you for waiting, another chapter will come once I'm back from vacation. See you later!

Art source: https://www.deviantart.com/lyno3ghe/art/Harrenhal-412084433

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 8 - part 1

The Curse of Harrenhal (217-218 AC)

My dear successor,

Once you take the role of maester in Harrenhal, you will have to deal with legend of the curse, hanging over the castle.

For now, while we dealt many times with black omens and difficulties, it seemed that Lord Justys was actually blessed by his god. The realm prospered, only one of lord’s many children died in young age, and while you might say feeding Lady Danelle to dragon was a bad omen, Lord Justys decided on it himself. But while our previous years were full of both good and bad events, years 217 and 218 After Conquest seemed like fate was laughing in our face.

It started with an unexpected visit. Maelys, the youngest son of Blackfyre, arrived to ask his uncle to support their claims. Ever since their second rebellion, Maelys stayed with the Golden Company, accompanying his older brother Daemon, who won his trial by combat avoiding execution, but he had to run to Essos anyway to keep his life safe of murder attempts.

Screenshot 135.png

Lord Justys kindly welcomed his nephew, but firmly declined any military or financial help. During that time he was already awaiting response from King’s Landing. He vowed his commitment to Targaryens, sealing it with betrothal of his grandson Qoherys with Larissa*, daughter of Ser Aerion, second of Prince Maekar’s sons and a dragon rider. This affinity is supposed to serve as declaration to doubting ones that Lord of Harrenhal fully acknowledges whole of Daeron’s lineage, with Baelor II as the rightful king.

Screenshot 134.png

Unsatisfied with the answer Maelys left the castle as fast as he appeared, moving onward to others who might help their cause. Before that, he met with his sister Daenerys to convince her to go with him, to return to her brother-husband, but she also refused, putting safety of her children above all, which neither of her brothers couldn’t guarantee. Daemon, Aegon, Daena and Visenya were to stay and grow up in Harrenhal, under custody of Brightflames.

The situation on our lands didn’t fill us with optimism. While we were able to invest some in private farms to increase the harvest, the fields were at the same time attacked by thousands of crows, which in the end caused huge damage and losses to peasants, covered by the lord. When one cow ran away from Ser Jon’s stead, causing damage to some farmer’s property, Justys ordered him to compensate peasant as well. There was also a trial against woman accused of witchcraft, who was in the end sacrificed to R’hllor in the temple.

The peasants are glad their lord is taking care of them, but the treasury says otherwise. When the right time came to teach Jaenara, we couldn’t afford the same best teachers who taught her older siblings – and even this required us to borrow a small sum at some point, to pay them on time. Like it wasn’t bad enough that she was easily bursting with anger, which made it even harder to teach her anything.

Screenshot 143.png

Glad to know that at least our investment in tower defence was not wasted, as Lord Karyl confirmed that Tower of Dread was ready and should now serve better to stationed troops.

Screenshot 142.png

But Lord Vance’s state of health was more worrisome. He got much weaker and it is now harder for him to perform his duties at our court. Not to mention he is still responsible of his own lands, currently supervised by his wife and sons. Even in private matter we can’t say Lord Karyl lived happily, as he lost two sons in their prime of life, same as oldest daughter married to Ser Lister Whent, who had together two children before she passed away.

The relations with Lord Lolliston were also at the stake, as he seemed to ignore our lord at any occasion, and still slandering his reputation behind his back. It didn’t even help that our lord appreciated his efforts with improving our army, when he was sent to recruit more men.

Screenshot 136.png

Our spymaster tried to soothe the conflict up, reminding Symond of his obligations, but his intervention only made things worse. Lord Justys had finally enough of this game and confronted Lord Symond, which almost ended with a duel. In the end, they stopped speaking to each other at all, worsening the already tense atmosphere during our council meetings.

Screenshot 137.png

Everyone knew that such situation doesn't allow the council to function properly and something has to be done about this. The first to settle their dispute was actually Symond, probably afraid of losing his position, who approached his lord after one of the meetings and officially admitted to be wrong and that he will serve him dutifully again. Although it only stopped him from slandering Lord Brightflame for less than an year...

Screenshot 138.png

Another conflict came with arrival of deposed High Priest, Noroquo. He was invited to Harrenhal out of politeness, but it appeared he was a person our lord cannot stand.

Screenshot 139.png

After few weeks it got even worse, when our we discovered him plotting against Justys. The information got out only thanks to Lord Olyvar of Stillfen, who warned us and even send a valid proof of this accusation. This was more than enough to our lord to order arresting him, but before guards got into his room this sly snake already sneaked out of the castle and ran away, apparently through the Narrow Sea. Months later our informers confirmed that by decision of High Priest in Volantis he was sent to one of Essosi sellswords companies.

Screenshot 140.png
Screenshot 141.png

Even the dragon was restless, rampaging like mad in her lair, with many injured guards and one servant burnt to death because of these incidents. Our lord intervened, but it took him a while before he was finally able to suppress Nyx, before it could get us into bigger trouble.

Screenshot 144.png

For years many knights served our lord during his rule in Harrenhal, some of them were accompanying him in his journeys, or during First Rebellion. No surprise that our lord decided to appreciate some of his faithful soldiers. He rewarded them with noble grants and new coats of arms for their loyal service as household knights, acknowledged by King Baelor himself. Raising so many knights into higher nobility tarnished our renown somewhat, but Lord Justys didn’t worry about it.

One of these fresh nobles was Ser Waltyr, now known as Sherwell, who served our lord as his spymaster for almost 15 years then. Thanks to new title, he was accepted to marry Coryanne Staedmon, sister of lord of Broad Arch and widow of Ser Runcel Kidwell of Ivy Hall. After some time she gave him a son named Florian. But Waltyr couldn’t enjoy his new life as a father, dying out of sudden around month later.

Serving in the council for so long, his death saddened all of us, but no one doubted that his position has to be filled in. One of supposed candidates was Master Clement, a mayor of Upstream, well known of having ears all around the town. Yet, Lord Justys decided to ignore his ambition he was fully aware of. Instead, he nominated his son Aerys to the role, so this experience would serve as a lesson in the future. Clement was angered as he believed he will take place after Ser Waltyr and is still scheming to become our lord’s next spymaster.

Screenshot 146.png

To entertain himself, Lord Justys decided to attend few tourneys organized by lords of Trident. His best performance was in Godsbrook, were our lord actually reached first place. This event didn’t end well for one of our knights though, as Ser Bryen Blandish lost his nose in an accident, when opponent’s lance went too high and hit his helmet.

Screenshot 145.png

With the first reconnoitring through plots and news, young lord Aerys found troublesome information. It appeared that Lord Olyvar, who warned us of a plot before, has died later and his son Damon took his place. But the new lord saw Brightflame as a threat, with his connections, lineage, “false” eastern religion and of course a dragon – a lethal weapon to be used against anyone. He planned on getting rid of our lord, but Aerys could present his father with enough evidence to officially intervene. Lord Damon denied everything and apparently resigned of further plotting, so young lordling could celebrate his first success.

The other success, as we could call it, was that Nyx laid another egg. This time though, instead of giving it to one of his children, Justys gave it to his paramour, Priestess Tristana. She desired an egg of her own for quite a long time now, but she had to wait until now to receive it as a token of our lord’s love. She didn’t wait long with attempt of hatching it – Triss was a priestess of R’hllor after all, so fire was her element. Succeeding, she presented her hatchling, Vhagar, to everyone at the court, proving again she is truly one of Targaryens’ descendants.

Screenshot 148.png

Not only Tristana hatched her egg successfully, when the news arrived few weeks later. With help of his father, Baethon was now taking care of Pryagon, from the egg laid by Heartfyre. Young Targaryen was still 5 years old, so Pryagon will grow big and and it will take time before he will be ready to tame the beast himself.

Screenshot 149.png

At the same year other dragon has lost its rider. Lady Elaena died in noble age of 69, which meant that her dragon, Volon, wasn’t under control anymore. Locked in Dragonpit for now, there had to appear a new rider who can tame the beast – and this was finally achieved by King Baelor’s second son, Prince Matarys. It’s been 90 years now since the Dance of Dragons, when finally someone close to the throne mounted a dragon again.

There came also a good time to finally marry all other children of Justys, once they reached suitable age. Viserion finally married Sarra Martyll, cementing our alliance with Dorne. Then Rhaenar marrying Carolei Baratheon confirmed the military aid of the Storm’s End.

But when the time came for Viserion’s twin sister, the news struck with strength of a lightning. Baelon, son of Brynden and Shiera, after initially agreeing to marry Viserra, suddenly refused and decided to join the Citadel to become a maester. Ser Brynden tried yet to convince his son to come back, but it was too late and Baelon already reached Old Town. King Baelor has been convinced by Grand Maester to approve young Bloodraven’s decision, which meant there would be no marriage. Ser Brynden also sent his apologies to Justys, promising to compensate for this humiliation.

But then Lord Justys surprised everyone. Since his daughter was now left without husband, he decided to arrange another one... from Blackfyres!!! Of course, Daenerys Blackfyre quickly applauded to this idea and agreed to marry her oldest son, Daemon, with Brightflame’s daughter. A some days later we also received a message of his father’s approval and blessing from Essos. I’m not sure if this was supposed to be some kind of revenge, or did he plan it for a longer while already.

This plan also had its flaws in terms of young Daemon’s character. Hiding behind a well-groomed and humble facade, he is truly perfidious and merciless. Not really a material for a noble yet a prince he wants to be called, though Viserra being ruthless and hot-tempered herself will probably hold it. But too bad we couldn’t betroth him Daemon’s younger brother, Aegon. Better suited for an heir, though he is already engaged with his sister, Daena. Similar of character, I believe this was Daenerys Blackfyre’s masterful plan to arrange her son’s marriages like this.

Yet this was no end, because Daemon was previously betrothed with Rhaenys Longwaters. Lord Justys quickly arranged a new marriage to appease her father, Ser Jon. If you thought though that marrying his own daughter with Blackfyre was madness, then his next arrangement could only be called impossible... But it seems this word didn’t exist for our lord, because Rhaenys was about to marry a son of his greatest rival, his brother Aegor Bittersteel. And Captain Aegor agreed to it, without complaints or additional demands!!!

Ser Justys really likes to play with fire, but straddled between Targaryens and Blackfyres seems as if he was asking for disaster. No surprise we are still accused of treason, hardly making points of staying loyal to children and grandchildren of King Daeron the Good. I pray to the gods old and new, even to the Lord of Light, that no Brightflame will ever end in Red Keep with their head on spike.

Lady Jeyne Waters had much less luck, as Aerys revealed her plot on Lady Tristana’s life. This was the second time already, and unlike before it didn’t end with just an argument. Ser Justys ordered to imprison his wife to be officially judged. Probably to his own surprise, Lady Jeyne demanded to have a trial by combat. She was no knight nor warrior to fight herself, and Longwaters were too afraid to break good relations with Brightflames to draw a sword for her cause. In the end, we have sent a raven to Driftmark for aid of her cousin, Lord Daeron Velaryon. Happily enough, the trial never happened, as Lady Jeyne submitted before it could start. She softened in the dungeon and finally humbled down to her husband, asking to leave her cell. Lord Justys agreed to release her, but he clearly stated that she will owe him from now on.

Screenshot 154.png

Also, Aerys was knighted by his father soon after his 18th name day, earning the right to be called a Ser. Knighthood is an Andal custom cultivated with the faith in new gods, though it is not popular in Essos, so followers of the red god doesn’t have such traditions. The oldest of Brightflame’s sons was proving himself since young age, so he was serving under Ser Sandor, commander of Kingspyre Tower. From among his other brothers, Viserion and Rhaenar were both training hard in military, and so both were also taken as squires, where older one had more difficulties with regular service because of his “episodes”.

But when year 218 seemed positive at first, one event brought more of a bad luck, as if the curse was reminding if its presence, still waiting to strike with its worst...

--------

*Larissa Targaryen's original name was Aelinor, though she got renamed by me after the same name got another of Prince Matarys daughters. This was the name of one of Daeron the Drunkard's daughters, so she got the name Leaysa instead.

And so with this chapter I officially declare my return from vacation!
The problem is I got writer's block, holding me from writing another chapter. There are still 2 in advance, but I hope I'll get back to writing before I run out of them...

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 8 - part 2

A flame that burns (218 AC)

Maester Joron was sitting in his chamber, in front of his desk. It was early morning, so this was a great opportunity to read documents, as the window was oriented eastward, giving better light at this hour. Not so old but still far from his youth, Joron was bending above some scrolls to read the text. The accounts seemed fine based on Master Alaric’s report, but he wanted to make things sure before handling final information to his employer.

He’s been appointed a maester of Harrenhal for couple of years now and his service was appreciated many times by Lord Justys. Brightflame abolished his council’s influence at his rule’s beginning as he wanted to oversee every action taken in lordship, and for each absence he usually designated his maester or castellan to act on his behalf on all events in lordship.

Though he hadn’t expected at the time to be appointed himself to the council, which actually happened twice. In new role, Lord Justys had to stay at Riverrun’s court for most of his time, meaning he haven’t had time anymore to supervise own realm by himself. Thanks to Archmaester Arnolf’s great references and his own dedication, Joron was therefore entrusted with becoming his lord’s eyes and ears during his absence, and acting as his voice in the council. Justys personally instructed him to send reports to Riverrun of current situation as least once a new moon. Target date was close now, so the maester had to prepare documents to be sent.

I said twice, but it was actually thrice. I don’t count the first time as Justiciar though, back when Lord Justys barely inherited Harrenhal. Lord Tully gave him the role back then due to his huge talent, but he has soon gotten afraid of giving diplomatic power to this new, strong-willed lord following some strange eastern customs, so he withdrawn his decision quite fast.

But years later, when Lord Medgar accepted R’hllor faith the point of view changed and Justys was truly introduced to his council, taking the role of a spymaster. Recently acknowledging the Lord of Light as his god, old Tully might have granted one of the most important roles to the lord who shared this faith even longer than him. But for even greater honor, Justys was designated to be named regent whenever it would be required. This meant that lord of Harrenhal would decide on the realm matters in case of the lord’s indisposal or death. This was a huge recognition, but also a burden, as many other court members envied him and desired to replace him.

No suprise this caused many small conflicts during his stay, including death threats from Lord Tully’s sister-in-law. But the most dangerous one seems to be an ambitious lord of Turnbridge, Ser Arwood Chambers. He even organized a grand scheme once to replace Lord Justys in council, which was stopped only when he directly confronted his adversary. Then the Blackfyre rebellion came, and Lord Justys staying neutral was taken off the council, giving Lord Chambers an opportunity to take over the position of regent, once when the young lord Merrett ascended in Riverrun.

Screenshot 153.png

After the rebellion was over our lord was later invited back to the council in a new role, but Ser Arwood already held his position, not going to resign. Justys didn’t care and adjusted to the situation, but apparently, lord of Turnbridge did not forget his old grudge.

The raven croaked on its stand, getting impatient with his master. Joron is still writing his letter with a new report, trying to get this done as quickly as he can. Lord Justys didn’t like to stay without information longer than necessary, and before raven can deliver this report to Riverrun it might take a while.

But then there was a loud knock on the door, as if wild fire barrel exploded right behind. Blurted out the old maester of his focus, Joron shuddered instantly with surprise. Who would have bothered him like this at the early hour? He stood up muttering something under his breath and went to open the door. Knocking didn’t stop but even got more violent, as if someone was about to die.

May it be something urgent, Joron thought.

His surprise couldn’t be greater though, as in front of him he saw none other than Lord Brightflame in person.

– Good morning, can you let me come in?

Not finding any good word, Joron only shook his head with acceptance, so Justys entered the room with one huge step that could be mistaken with leap.

– My lord, welcome, apology my surprise, but I had no information from you on your return to Harrenhal anytime soon.
– Because there was no plan to return here, but thanks to that silk-loving bastard and his meek petfish, my presence there became unnecessary, so I decided to come back as soon as possible.
– Please tell me what is the matter, my lord? I can see you are really upset...

Justys is not the wrathful type, but Joron has already seen the furious behaviour, so he could tell that his liege is now holding back. Decided to stop talking for now, he offered a seat to his guest and went back to desk, taking a bottle and two chalices standing there.

Lord Justys refused the wine he was offered with – no surprise, as he was always cautious with taking untested drinks, so this was kind of his habit. Any lord, of Targaryen blood especially, should stay vigilant for attempts of poisoning, which doesn’t exactly mean that Justys suspects his maester of betrayal, but you never tell if HE wasn’t already the target of some plot instead.

He showed Joron to sit down close to him, and decided to speak:

– As you know, we had no good relations with young lord’s regent, Ser Arwood, but due to supporting his cause during one of the council meetings, that bastard promised me to repay the debt. I thought this solves things up, so unfortunately I lowered my guard on him. But now this purid, double-tongued bum boy has proven that that his words are just wind!!!

Almost starting to shout, he jumped up and began to walk around the room, visibly bursting.

– If he thinks that any amount of silk will cover his sleaky arse then he’s totally wrong!!! The daffodil he thinks he is, pretty flower, but I’d rip him off these defecs he loves and put his rear on a pale’s top, to see how much “wood” he’d take then!!!
– But...
– To the point. Few days ago he just approached me and without any previous warning simply gave a letter with decision from Lord Merrett to remove me from his council! Lord Bracken is now meant to replace me as Master-at-Arms. This must be his scheme, he definitely planned this from the very beginning, and with the last support he just tried to lull me with sweet promises, not even worth a bean!
– But Ser, have you tried to explain this matter with Lord Merrett himself?
– Even seeing this blundering kid’s signature and sigil didn’t convince me back then, so of course I tried to reach him, but Lord Arwood has already successfully blocked me the access, sending the boy out of the castle for this day, on some travel around the lands. And the letter ordered me to leave immediately, so I was forced to leave without possibility to wait for his return.

Screenshot 152.png

Justys kicked the chair he previously sat on, which made the chair land on the wall unbroken, and mighty lord Brightflame jumping on one leg and swearing to heavens.

– So what did you do, my lord, you just left?
– Yes, for R’hllor’s sake, and what do you think was I supposed to do? To beg this sarder Chambers for a guest stay until Lord Tully is back?!? I just ordered our men pack us out, I took my stuff and the horse, and we quickly moved out to Harrenhal, with short breaks to eat and sleep during travel.
– My lord, there is no doubt that Lord Arwood stood behind this, no one informed us on such conspiracy in Riverrun, so they must have planned it thoroughly. Nevetheless, once we know that Lord Merrett is back, you can arrive back there and ask him...
– No.

Justys stopped next to the window and started looking behind it.

– If I ever return to Riverrun, it will be on my dragon’s back...
– You don’t mean...
– We will see how these treacherous bastards meet fate of King Harren!!!

His face turned into evil smile, which means he really considered that option.

– My lord, please, calm yourself now, as you are currently speaking in anger. I know that your honor has had been tainted with Lord Chamber’s lies, but there is no need to take any hasty decisions. Also, you should be more aware than me that such accusations spoken out loudly may only cause us more trouble. Even such vast fortress may have ears around...

Joron stood up now as well, and went to his desk again, but this time he brought the letter he was writing before his lord’s visit.

– Now, if I may, I was about to send you the monthly report, so would you be kind, my lord, to sit back and hear it out now, since you are already here...

The news from his castle calmed Lord Brightflame somewhat, at least to the point he didn’t scream or swear again during their further discussion. Finally, when they talked out all other matters, Justys calmly stood up from the chair and put it back in its place, thanked his maester for the visit and left the room.

Joron didn’t sit back on his chair though, nor he returned to his desk. Instead, he fell on his bed, face down, and started to mumble something, barely hearable.

He thought for a short second that it’s the curse, still hiding in these walls. Harrenhal threatens life and sanity of those who dare to rule here, and Lord Justys doesn’t seem to be immune to it anymore. Only time can show who shall break first – the curse, or him...

-------

Sorry, but Chapter 8 grew quite big, so I thought I'll do the same as with Chapter 7 and split.
This part was IMO underdeveloped, so I decided to rewrite it into separate post - it seemed as a good occasion to try this form of dialogue again. I'm not good in such form, so please tell if you want to see these more often, or should I try something else.
Some part of this chapter was also moved to Chapter 9 to keep the chronology intact, though I had to rewrite it all but I hope it didn't turn out bad...

I have a tough time with continuing this AAR in form of letters - so I will keep it until 226 AC, but then, using the in-game event, I will try to switch to something completely different. Please stay tuned and of course don't hesitate to post any questions and suggestions here :)

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 9 - part 1

Winter wrap-up (219-221 AC)

In the middle of 219 AC, maesters from Citadel announced to all Seven Kingdoms that there is a new winter coming. Thankfully it started very mild, so our crops were unharmed at the time, but after 3 years we still wait for the news when it ends.

At the time we received big sums of gold from our new allies. as wives of Viserion and Rhaenar brought up quite lavish dowry with them. This was a great opportunity to save money for the future, but our lord decided otherwise. Probably acting too hasty, he ordered to spend them on improving another castle tower.

But while the marriage of sons brings wealth, then having daughters means expenses, as we need to pay for their own dowries. The agreement with Blackfyres stated we don’t have to pay for Viserra, so we haven’t had to worry, but when it came to negotiations with Starks, leaving daughter without dowry would have hurt our relations... and Lord Justys decided that if we already have to own money, then better put bigger dowry to appease Lord Paramount of the North.

Despite the upcoming winter, Lord Rodwell decided to organize a huge wedding for their children and invited Brightflames with courtiers to personally thank them for this marriage and alliance. Taking the road north, we left Harrenhal with a debt incurred to cover her dowry up.

Screenshot 150.png

The wedding went smoothly, everyone had lots of fun, during one of discussions our lord was even able to befriend Rodrik, his son-in-law’s older brother and current heir of Winterfell.

Most of his older children decided actually to stay in Harrenhal to oversee the realm, mostly because of the series of pregnancies – first Ser Aerys and Jeyne Tully became happy parents of their first daughter, Rhaenyra, soon before the planned travel. Lady Larra also stayed in castle, as last year had her first child born already dead, so being pregnant with Daemon Longwaters again, she didn’t want to take any risk. Another one expecting was Lady Sarra, but her pregnancy was already quite troublesome, which means she had to lie in bed. Even Lady Carolei was nauseous at the time, which was a first sign of her pregnancy, though she and Rhaenar went to Winterfell with us.

This way we entered new year 220 AC with our coffins empty, except for the receipt confirming our debt, and Lord Karyl barely trying to keep up with investment in Kingspyre Tower... but in opposite to what I thought it might be, this year ended truly peacefully.

Lord Justys has taken action to solve the problem of empty treasury. Priest Jared offered to help the lord for his ongoing support, but from what I heard he was just afraid our lord might actually harsh methods to collect money himself.

Screenshot 155.png

Also the Kingspyre Tower was finished, so at least we had less expenses later. Soon we got clear account with all debts paid off.

Screenshot 156.png

Lord Justys seemed to get more energy for actions, once he felt our financial and political situation stabilized. While Brightflame was definitely not a diligent type, focusing on one action at the time and acting only when necessary, he now appeared more energetic than he used to be. Therefore he decided to find himself some new activity. This could only act better for him, as he got little chubby after visit in Winterfell. Our lord realised that – especially after he couldn't climb on Nyx to mount her – so he tempered his appetite for few months and soon these round cheek turned flat again.

Screenshot 158.png

After leaving Lord Merrett and Riverrun, Lord Justys had much more time than he used to. Almost all his children were grown up, he was not that engaged in taking care of his grandchildren yet, and now he haven’t had to worry about any debts or anything. Thanks to this, our lord engaged in activity he once had to resign from 20 years earlier – alchemy and pyromancing. He wrote to grand master of The Alchemist’s Guild to ask for a place in their ranks. Not long after the guild accepted our lord’s request and gave him his first task already – to gather alchemical ingredients for future experiments.

Screenshot 169.png

Lord Justys decided to rather buy his ingredients, and in this task he received an offer of help from his courtier, Tyressa – widow of one of his old comrades, Addam, previous commander of Widow’s Tower. Visiting local marketplace, they both wandered between stalls, brimming with all different kind of goods. Tyressa’s help appeared to be indispensable when it came to bargaining for better prices, as in most of situation just a presence of their ruler was giving many of shady hucksters a greedy eye.

Screenshot 171.png

On the fourth month of 220 AC both Lady Larra and Lady Sarra laboured their children, respectively, a girl named Elaena Longwaters and a boy, Naeron Brightflame. Though right after, Lady Martell’s condition worsened and died days later, due to her troubled pregnancy. Still waiting to bear child was Lady Carolei, who gave birth 4 months later to a son of Rhaenar, named Tristan – in honor of his grandmother.

Screenshot 166.png
Screenshot 165.png
Screenshot 167.png

Widowed Viserion was soon betrothed with Beatrice Lothston in place of his younger brother, Gargon, whose future marriage was rearranged as part of a pact with our neighbour from Harroway’s Town, Lord Darik Roote. He has two sons, but only one granddaughter, who will then marry Gargon to rule over together if her mother won’t bear any male heir. This agreement was meant to settle up border disputes and stop current investigation of our justiciar. Daemon Longwaters was earlier sent to Harroway’s Town to check documents, that may have proven claims of Harrenhal’s lords over this territory, separated from us almost 200 years ago by king Maegor the Cruel – after execution of Lord Lucas Harroway, third lord of Harrenhal.

Screenshot 168.png

This was part of our lord’s plan to spread his rule on greater area, to increase his power, but we still have to remember that Lord Justys has enemies waiting to sabotage our connections with Tullys. Main opponent is of course Lord Arwood, who using our current action organized a scheme to provoke us to revolt.

Once Aerys found it out and informed us on our council meeting, Lord Justys decided it is time to take revenge and remove him from Riverrun. Therefore his son was supposed to prepare plan to denounce Lord Chambers and bring Brightflame back to the role of regent.

Screenshot 157.png
Screenshot 162.png

To achieve this, first we had to improve opinion with Lord Merrett. And here, a favour owed by Maester Tywell came in handy. After some time of convincing, relations between Merrett and Justys improved much in the next year’s beginning. Three months later it came into fruition, when once achieved adulthood, Lord of Riverrun announced his decision to replace Lord Chambers with Lord Brightflame in role of the future regent, if it will be ever needed.

Screenshot 163.png
Screenshot 164.png

All of our lords activity, whether in pyromancers’ guild or his grand scheme, haven’t gone unnoticed by Red Priestess Tristana. She praised her lover whenever possible, saying that he will do great deeds. Thanks to his well-known devotion to Lord of Light, with help of Priest Jared and other priests from riverlands, they were able to convince High Priest of Volantis to acknowledge Justys Brightflame as an earthly incarnation of the great Azor Ahai, a legendary hero of their beliefs, who was to stop the evil wielding a fiery sword, the Lightbringer.

Screenshot 177.png

From now on, they dedicated themselves to make him truly worth of this title, which may be shown to the world only with forging the Lightbringer, a sacred sword wield by the chosen one.

Yet Justys has proven his might few times before with miracles of healing, given to sick and wounded lords of nearby lands. But he also decided to help his own kin, as ever since Tristana gave her last birth, their son Gargon was deformed with a huge mark on his skin, tough and dark, resembling dragon scales. At first everyone thought that the lord's son was born with Greyscale, but the child has proven to be healthy, less the mark itself.

When the time came right Lord Brightflame paid for the best teachers for him – thankfully we were able to pay for them this time – and requested their arrival in Riverrun, to become warden of one of Lord Tully’s knights. Then he used this and inviting him to red temple, in presence of his mother and other priests, he used the sacred flame to actually recover him from his deformation. Although cured, the touch of fire has left its trail, leaving the young Gargon obsessively infatuated with fire.

Screenshot 178.png

POST SCRIPTUM:

Dear reader, please forgive this interruption, but when explaining the situation of Gargon's curement, I forgot to mention why everyone had to gather in Riverrun. So please be advised that before these events, it happened that Lord Vypren, treasurer of Trident, died of old age. His son Damon inherited lands in Stillfen, however he was unprepared to take father's position at the court. Hence Merrett Tully gracefully reintroduced Lord Justys back to his council.

Screenshot 161.png

Also, I believe it is worth mentioning that Ser Loren Parren, Lord of Fang Tower in Westerlands, gained the nickname "Lionslayer", after he killed Lord Tybolt Lannister in trial of combat, proving his innocence. However, due to that, Casterly Rock was left with an under-aged lord, Tybolt's older son Tymond.

Screenshot 159a.png

Screenshot 159.png

----------------

Ok, here we are, first part of the last chapter I have. Still working on Chapter 10, so I really hope to avoid unnecessary hiatus. Change in writing form will be required definitely...

In the meantime I realised I forgot to mention some additional information, so I've put them as a side note. After all, even when someone writes a letter, he may forgot of something. But since these events relate rather to the above, I put them here instead of the end of second part.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Naeron was almost betrothed before birth.
Not really, I just had to take screenshots later, from one of the most accurate saves - it actually happened that I betrothed him quickly.
Also, some of previous arrangements were changed later by me.

What will fire obsessed do for the child?
If I count correctly, Gargon was around 12-13 when this event happened, and since then I didn't notice anything significant about him having this trait.
And because I was using R'hllor's healing often, he is not the only person who got fire obsessed after it. Actually, there will be another event like this with special person, described in chapter that will come after the next one ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 9 - part 2

Back on track... or not? (222 AC)

In next year, 222 AC, as if wanted to repay for his poor regency, Lord Tully organized a grand tourney in Riverrun, inviting all knights and lords of Westeros.

Riverrun battlements - Added by Buster1871 - goff.fandom.com.jpg

We were of course invited as well, so with Lord Justys already there, responsible as lord’s treasurer for all necessary expenses, rest of family took the road there. Apparently, my lord wanted to reward me, as he ordered me to come as well, leaving responsibilities to Lord Karyl, who due to his condition decided to stay.

Screenshot 179.png

I must say that the Riverrun, even though much smaller than Harrenhal – although, I cannot call it strange, with any castle lesser to the greatest of Westerosi fortresses – impressed me with its prideful look. Thanks to the work of Lord Brightflame the castle, with sandstone walls locked between two rivers, definitely showed its best during this grandiose event. The knights were fighting seriously, which unfortunately meant that our lord, who had little successes in jousting, was once again eliminated before the main clashes.

But I’m always thankful for that, because this sport can be brutal, which I could also see later with my very own eyes, when Ser Lothar Vance landed in mud, screaming and holding his hand... ripped off his body. There was not much to do, but of course he received help from his opponent and best friend, Ser Willamen of Stone Hedge, who wasn’t actually amused by what happened. Young Bracken is widely known for his martial genius in battle, while proving ruthlessness in aggressive behaviour in combat. From what I heard, Ser Lothar’s wound has never healed properly since then.

Screenshot 181.png

Later I've heard conversation with Lady Triss, where she mentioned possibility to prepare the ritual to heal Ser Lothar, stressing that it can only succeed if he believed in Lord of Light, just like his grandfather, Lord of Wayfarer's Rest, did.

Also, my lord’s honest nature hasn’t paid off. He got into discussion with some of the guest and carelessly gave them advice on how to gain advantage in later jousts, not knowing that they are actual participants.

What I can say in favor is that Lord Justys never embarrassed himself, even after defeat he was always presenting proudly, with his sigil and banner showing symbol of Harrenhal. And I can’t say the same on all the jousters, as one of Stormlander lords, Ser Donnel Swann of Stonehelm, appeared in front of the public completely drunk! He was saved from any dire consequences thanks to the tourney’s host, who found his behaviour actually entertaining.

Screenshot 180.png

Too bad that my lord’s honest nature didn’t pay off. He got into discussion with some of the guest and carelessly gave them advice on how to gain advantage in later jousts, not knowing that they are actual participants.

Screenshot 185.png

The fights were hard, but there could be only one winner, and the one who proved himself worthy was Ser Peron of Renwick, brother of current lord of Moonsgrey. Following the tradition he could choose one of the maids here as Queen of Love and Beauty, but as a loving husband he presented this title to his own wife, a less nobled woman named Carissa, who may have been fair and genteel but definitely not young anymore, being half older than her knight.

Screenshot 182.png

Thanks to the fact that whole family was in one place, somewhere else than vast and empty corridors of Harrenhal, or its huge rooms full of dark void, Lord Justys could actually get closer with some of his children, mostly the younger ones. The fruits of this decision showed up to be sweet when young Rhaenar grew visibly attached to him from now on.

Screenshot 183.png

But as if a part of some poor joke, Ser Rhaenar is also a close friend with the knight who squired him, yet his father’s fierce antagonist, Lord Symond Lolliston. Time will tell how this triangle might end... Especially when it was proven that after our return, Lord Symond convinced our long-faithful castellan, Lord Karyl Vance, to join him in supporting claims of Ser Royce Whent to Harrenhal. This youngster has some weak claims to it after his grandmother, Lady Wynafrei, but of course we couldn’t underestimate this threat.

Screenshot 173.png

Screenshot 175.png

The whole tourney ended with a huge feast that thanks to the work of my lord, shall be remembered among all in Westeros for months, maybe even years.

But I was there only for a short while, departing later to the castle’s godswood, to find some peace between trees, smelling the moist coming from behind the walls. Because of winter, I had to be heavily dressed in a warm coat, but nevertheless Riverrun was warmer than the banks of the God’s Eye.

Screenshot 184.png

But his own son was not the only person who got closer with Lord Brightflame. At the time, there have been continuous problems with confirming our loyalty to Targaryens, as King Baelor Breakspear is constantly daunted at his court to trust Lord Brightflame and his family. Cordial relations with Blackfyres didn’t help in any way.

Despite this, Prince Valarr, who arrived from Dragonstone to attend, has found common tongue with his uncle during the feast. As heir to the throne, new relationship allowed them to later discuss the matter or Blackfyre pretenders, to find a proper solution to the ongoing conflict between descendants of Aegon the Conqueror. While young Daemon never renounced his claims and would probably kill his wife for this, Justys arrived to Dragonstone on Nyx with claimant queen Daenerys Blackfyre and her daughter, and the solution horrified all in both Westeros and Essos – they have actually agreed to betroth Valarr’s oldest son, 6 years old prince Viserys, with 11 years old Visenya Blackfyre.

Screenshot 160.png

The girl proven herself to Valarr to be a good match, being talented in many ways and yet acting kind and gentle, leaving both sides with impression of a great deal. Not that anyone outside the isle actually agreed to this – King Baelor’s condition worsened much more after hearing the news, which probably didn’t allow him to disinherit son in favor of younger Matarys, while Daemon II sent letters with threats to Lord Justys, saying he will never accept marriage of his own daughter with any of the usurpers. The murmur at other courts was also hearable, but none of this mattered when the agreement was set, and no one in power to change this was either able, or willing to do so.

Once back in Harrenhal, Lord Justys got into another fiery argument with his woman, this time however it was his beloved mistress, Tristana. The problem came with his wife’s continuous dedication to the Seven, as our lord was accused of allowing this because he loved wife more than Red God and her. And so he moved earth and heavens only to get mercy, giving a huge “donation” to his paramour. What old Brightflame was unaware of is that the news reached his wife, making Lady Waters so furious about it, that she behated her husband gruesomely.

Screenshot 186.png

As of other family matters, young lady Jeyne became pregnant last year with Ser Aerys and gave him another son, named Daemion. Also, young lords Gargon and Lucerys got married with their betrothed ones, as the last of Brightflame’s children, meaning that there will be no more marriages in the near future, at least I suppose.

I should also mention that Lord Karyl died recently due to natural causes, which means that the threat from Lord Symond got little weaker. Still we should keep an eye, as Symond’s daughter is betrothed to Karyl’s grandson and Lord Jon Vance’s son, Lucamore.

At the same time, our recent reports proved that the lands were flourishing, and our intakes beat the records from previous years. People are truly working hard under benevolent rule of Lord Justys, and even the spread of new religion in place of the faith of Seven seemed to not bother them – I’d even say that it’s getting more and more popular, while at the same time septons are getting less attention each day.

Screenshot 190.png

The upcoming years seems to be fine, setting things back to normal despite of ongoing winter. Although, the king’s current health worries me the most, as his death, like the death of his father before, shall bring dark clouds around King’s Landing, and with ascension of Valarr to the throne this may end with a storm. What will happen if Blackfyres rebel again? Would Lord Justys stay neutral this time, or rather engage because of the betrothal arranged by him?

Please stay well, hopefully I will give you answers with my next letter.

---------------

Here you have the next part of 9th chapter. So for now, this is all I had, Chapter 10 is still WIP, so it might take me some time before I finally get it done. In case this happens, I plan to share some "extras" with you ;)

And stay tuned, because "I'll be back".

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions: