• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Belgiumruler

Comrade Belgie
95 Badges
Aug 18, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • March of the Eagles
  • Impire
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Darkest Hour
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Majesty 2
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
attachment.php

Hello and Welcome to my latest Project: A Symphony of Influence! It is an Interactive AAR, which means that the players make all the decisions, and I am just the king, sometimes I influence it, with my decisions, but that's then again your fault :p. We play the feudal monarchy of Brandenburg. We start in 1444. I play the King, and we play with most of the DLC's, with the 1.3 patch

It's never to late to join!

How to Create a character:

Those familiar with EoE already know the drill, but here is an example:
name:
Date of Birth:
Nationality:
Religion:
Bio:

Rules:

Character creation:

The player can be
:
1. Duke: They control the province, and get money to support raising regiments, fleets, and buildings. They can Boycott wars by refusing sending regiments to war. These regiments would then be kept at the province where they come from. They are selected by the court.
2. A coutrier: They make the most important decisions: The amount of money given to a Duke, the wars, peace deals, advisors, and potential government changes.
3. General/Admiral: your character would be modded into the game. The court decide if you control an army, and you can decide where the army goes. You can also call for revolutions, but unlike the Dukes, you can't Boycott a war in any other way. The skill of a general added to the game is decided by 4 dice roles, for every type of skill. Assigning a general would cost 50 monarch points. They are appointed by the court.
Every player starts as a courtier, and can be given land or armies in exhange for their vote.

Revolutions:
Any General, Courtier or Duke can declare a revolution for government change. The courtiers, generals and Dukes then need to decide which side they support. The side with the most support (or the biggest army support) wins. Dukes can hire mercenaries with the money they have for the general they support. They are calculated on troop size for victory, with a dice roll to simulate luck.

Kingdoms/republics:
I play the King, but if we are a republic, the nation is controlled by the players. In an absolute Monarchy, the King appoints dukes from the counts, and the King decides which wars are fought.
The endless circle of stability:
Of course, the court can decide to hold the money, and to hire mercs when neccesary. This would however lead to instability, since:
- one angry general in command of mercs, and there is no army to support the court, since the dukes don't have armies or money.
- no buildings in provinces, and slower economic growt.

The courts power:

They decide everything in a fuedal monarchy or a republic (note that in a republic there are no dukes, they loose all power at once and are replace by stadholders). From the spending of Monarch points, to decisions/events and wars. They can propose laws. They also appoint advisors (from the pool, they won't be modded in).
the powers of the King
The King can remove power of the Dukes, reassign generals and he has the last word on everything.

Bribery:
The king and courtiers can be bribed. The king would be bribed for more land, a Ducal or General appointment, or political support. Courtiers would be bribed for more influence and for votes. The King will accept bribery (when the amount of money is sufficient) from a gameplay perspective, while Courtiers would accept a bribery because they can use the money for bribery or influence. (see end of the pharagraph). Money from bribery wouldn't be removed from the game, it will just need to be reassigned. Courtiers can buy votes for 10 ducats.

The Treasury:
It is controlled by a treasure holder, who is elected for life. The treasure holder can spend it on dukes or on mercenaries, but if he gets to pwoer hungry, the king can have him removed. If the court decides they want building in A and B, the treasure holder decides which gets the funds first. Treasurer order should be published in thread.

Justice:
At the start there is no justice system, the king decides that. Courtiers can reform it by passing laws however.

Voting:
Always Bold your votes, otherwise they aren't counted.

Religion:

At the start you can only be Catholic, or maybe some of the mediaval heresies (that you see in CKII). However, if you aren't catholic, then hide it, or you might get executed. When the reformation strikes,you can be protestant of course.You can also be Jewish or even Sunni, but THAT's very risky. If you are an heretic, post your religion what you pretend to be on your Bio, and tell only me your true religion. Don't forget, the king can execute people, so if you want someone removed, you can just bribe him for telling that he is an heretic. The sum always changes, depending on the need for money.

Of course, I won't allow any harrasing, assaulting or other stuff that's against the forum rules. Read them here.
We have a coldfront Channel! Go to www.coldfront.net, select what client you have (or prefer), and type /join #SoI_Main

all post not in character, are posted between two brackets like this: ((post))

With all things discussed now, let's get started!

- This AAR was approved by Qorten

The Realm:
CCI01072014_00002.png

Last edited:
Last edited:
ghiberti---self-portrait.jpg

Name: Duke Otto II von Altmark, Duke of Altmark and Count of Altmark
Date of Birth: 2nd January, 1410 - 11th September, 1448 (38)
Nationality: Upper German
Religion: Catholic
Bio: Born the second son of the Duke of Altmark, he has come to the court of the King of Brandenburg in order to pay his respects and represent his elderly father in royal circles. However, due to his father throwing off the bonds of vassalage and declaring independence, von Altmark his position to stage a Brandenburgian Invasion in order to reannex Altmark into the March of Brandenburg.

During the Altmark Peasant Rebellion of 1448, Duke Otto II died defending his family and possessions in his castle. He is succeeded by his son Gunther von Altmark.

Titles:
Chancellor of the March of Magdeburg ~ 1432 - 1440
Ambassador of the March of Magdeburg to the March of Brandenburg ~ 1440 - 1445
Duke of Altmark ~ 1445 - 1448
Lord of the Old March ~ 1445 - 1448
Count of Altmark ~ 1445 - 1448

Kings:
Jobst von Mähren ~ 1410 - 1411
Sigismund von Luxemburg ~ 1411 - 1415
Frederick I von Hohenzollern ~ 1415 - 1444
Friedrich II von Hohenzollern ~ 1444 - 1448

Last edited:
Reactions:
Johann von Töplitz
(1417-1473)

0e34492d7485c64d93661b6dddff3dfb_zpsa1d1fb38.jpg

Early Life

Johann Ritter von Töplitz was a medieval military leader, and a member of the House of Töplitz. He was born in Töplitz, just outside of Potsdam, to Joachim von Töpitz, a minor lord in the Electorate of Brandenburg, in 1417.

Early Career

In 1444 he was appointed leader of the electorate's army by Freidrich II.

Von Töplitz commanded the Brandenburgian forces for the first time in a combat situation in 1445, when Freidrich II declared war on Gunther II of Magdeburg to reclaim the area surrounding Altmark. Here he was first able to display his military prowess, routing the opposing forces in the Battle of Diesdorf, then again in the Battle of Sülzegrund.

The First Teutonic War

He next saw action two years later during the First Teutonic War, which saw the Electorate of Brandenburg, the Kingdoms of Bohemia, Poland and Lithuania and the County of Hesse fight the Teutonic and Livonian Orders and the Duchies of Saxony and Thuringia. Von Töplitz once again displayed his military skill, beating Teutonic armies on numerous occasions, before orchestrating the siege of Thuringia itself. Victory was declared in the August of 1448.

After the war, Friedrich announced the creation of Brandenburg's first chivalric order – the Noble Johannic Order of the Eagle, named in his honour. He was knighted as its first member and granted a monetary reward of ten thousand guilders.

Altmark Affair

When rebels rose up in Altmark in 1448, von Töplitz was charged with the task of leading an army against them. Before acting, he stationed his army a few miles away in Ruppin where he would meet with reinforcements – the rebel forces outnumbering those of the army. During this period, however, the Otto von Altmark, against whom the rebels were fighting, was murdered by members of the insurrection. His son, Gunther, blamed Otto's death on von Töpltiz's inaction.

The General's reputation suffered greatly, being ordered to pay compensation to the House of Altmark for "being directly responsible for the death" and the issue of whether or not he would be replaced was put before the court. Though the court refused to punish him with demotion, many believed that he had caused Otto's death, and he was decried as a coward.

Von Töplitz petitioned the Margrave to overturn the decision of the court in light of Gunther's shameful behaviour in calling him dishonourable. Friedrich agreed with his general, admitting in private correspondence that he had only passed the sanctions so as to appease the court,man's offered to lend von Töplitz the money to pay the fine (which the general declined.) Friedrich was as eventually convinced to drop the punishment, and von Töplitz was exonerated. His reputation rapidly recovered, while the House of Altmark let the matter go.

Later Career

Upon the accession of Albrecht Achilles von Hohenzollern to the margraviate, von Töplitz's situation changed dramatically. Albrecht Achilles did not trust the general, and supposedly stated his wish to have him killed in many occasions – even going so far as to host a tourney to have him killed by another competitor (this plan backfired when the general won.)

Le François' Rebellion

In 1472, Geoffrey d'Aquitaine (known popularly as 'Le François') rebelled against Albrecht Achilles, who had been growing increasingly more arbitrary. The declaration by d'Aquitaine had come following the Council of Slupsk, at which several prominent members of the Brandenburgian court – including von Töplitz – resolved to reinstate justice to the realm by any means necessary. Von Töplitz lead the rebelling forces, defeating those who had supported the margrave. Albrecht Achilles fled the country, leaving his brother Albrecht Friedrich von Hohenzollern to rule the margraviate.

Later Life

Following the rebellion, von Töplitz would never command an army in a battle situation again. He died suddenly in 1473 at the age of 56 after having suffered a stroke.

Family

Von Töplitz married Anna von Überheidl in 1430 and had issue:

1. Johann von Töplitz (1431-1478)
  2. Elisabeth von Töplitz (1432-?)
  3. Anna von Töplitz (1432-?)
  4. Heinrich von Töplitz (1433-1434)
  5. Albrecht von Töplitz (1435-1462)
  6. Friedrich von Töplitz (1437-1501)

His son Johann would go on to marry and Elisabeth of Bavaria and establish the Bavarian line of House of Töplitz, who are represented today by Heinrich, Prince of Zweisel. The Brandenburgian line would go on to produce various princes and dukes, and even a Queen Consort of Brandenburg.

Last edited:
Name: Erich Faust von Berlin
Date of Birth: June 24th, 1414
Nationality: Brandenburg native
Bio: Son to a farmer, Erich was given at the age of 12 to serve as a soldier for the Teutonic Order. When he turned 20, he saw combat fighting the Polish armies, but when the Teutonic Order came to claim Neumark, he defected back to Brandenburg and enlisted to fight the Order. Seeing combat against his old comrades made he careful in his execution of war, and by 1444 he became a courtier, with hopes of becoming a general. While loyal to the King, he still has some inclinations of joining the Teutonic's order armies with Brandenburg, and seeks to unify Northern Germany,
Political view: Against allying with Bohemia, Denmark, and Austria. Pro for an allaince/takeover of the Teutonic Order. Pro for military expansion. Against getting involved with the affairs of the Balkans/Rhineland.

361px-Joachim_I_Nestor.jpg

Name: Joachim Nestor von Winzenburg
Date of Birth: 18 January 1412
Date of Death: 1472 (aged 60)
Nationality: German
Position(s):
Duke of Brandenburg (1444-1472)
Duke of Ruppin (1468-1472)
Admiral of Brandenburg (1468-1472)
Bio: Born into the noble Winzenburg family, which have held many titles and served the lords of Brandenburg for centuries, Joachim Nestor was raised in great luxury but was also educated with a firm hand. After being in the service of his father and the family, Joachim Nestor has developed greater ambitions and has left for the court of the King of Brandenburg to offer his services. Once there he quickly proved himself a popular figure and received the Duchy of Brandenburg in 1444. For the next two decades he served in his position with great diligence, stockpiling money instead of saving it. Eventually, in 1468, he made a 'donation' to the King and was rewarded with the Duchy of Ruppin and the Admiralty of Brandenburg.

Last edited:
Name: Wilhelm von Saarmund
Date of Birth: August 5, 1415
Nationality: North German
Bio: The first son of a minor lord of Saarmund, outside of Potsdam. Wilhelm grew up under his father's, Frederick von Saarmund, tutelage. Wilhelm is known for his skill at warfare and for his astute understanding of feudal politics. He was raised to be a commander in the Margraves armies, but defied his father to learn how to be an administrator from the monks in the nearby monastery. He is fluent in Latin, German, French, and Danish. He can also read and write like most lords of the time. When he was 25 he joined the court of the Margrave as a courtier and hopes to assist the Margrave as is necessary. He is known as a great administrator of the realm.

Last edited:
Name: Gerhard "Strongarm" von Ammendorf, Baron of Horst, Black Ritter of Grabow,
Date of Birth: 18 January 1413 (32)
Nationality: German
Bio: Born into the ancient Brandenburgian family, that claims legendary descent from the Roman Emperor Florianus, as well as from the Arthurian knights Garel and Daniel, and is known for its military achievements.

A devout Catholic, ruthless and brave soldier, and an Imperial and Brandenburgian loyalist, Otto has spent all his life in the saddle of a horse. Knighted when he was only sixteen by Margrave Frederick I, he very soon became a well-known tourney champion, winning many local jousts. He fought against the Hussite heretics during the Imperial war and participated in various feudal struggles, usually supporting the central authority, while not forgetting his own interests. He also held several administrative positions, acting as a fogt, castellan and a captain, and managing several castles and estates for his sovereign.

Gerhard is a strict, grim and serious man, with a rather short temper. At the same time, he is known for his support for knightly values, his loyalty to his seigneur and the Church.

Last edited:
lYEA9ds.jpg

Name: Frederik van Egmont.
Date of Birth: 28 January, 1418, Alkmaar. (26 years.)
Nationality: Dutch.
Bio: Son of the lord of Egmont Jan II and an unkown peasant girl. Legitimized in the year of 1440. Frederik's father Jan tried to imprison Frederik and the bastards of his son (Willem IV). Frederik escaped but the other bastards were imprisoned in the Valkenhof. Frederik fled to Antwerpen. He finished his education there and was employed by Philip the Good, duke of Burgundy, to run the administration of Antwerpen. When Philip denied the request of Frederik to become Graaf of the Guelders Frederik once again took the legs. This time he ended up in Brandenburg. Frederik is good with trade wares and administration.

Prologue

Brandenburg, 1444. The country is ruled by king Friedrich II from Hohenzollern*. Friedrich was born in 1426, and became king in September 1444, while being 18 years of age. He isn’t a great ruler, neither a bad one. Being moderate at Diplomacy and Administration ((3 and 3)), while rather weak in the art of warfare ((2)), he was still capable to rule. He isn’t a fanatic Catholic, but he is still very attached to moral values.
266px-Eitel_Friedrich_II_Graf_von_Zollern.jpg

The king

The country counts three Duchies: Ruppin, Brandenburg and Potsdam. All needs a Duke at the moment, thanks to the hated king from the past, Friedrich I. He executed them all. There is an army of 6000 men, in direct hands of the king. There are two Diplomats at the court: Clemens from von Anhalt-Dessau and Siegmund Uckenski, both are unemployed. For the greater good of the treasury, Brandenburg has two merchants, Albrecht con Quernheimberg in Lubëck and Karl van Preussen in Frankfurt. The Treasury currently counts 50 ducats, and we gain 0.88 a month.

Player actions needed:

Nominate Advisors for the king, here is a screenshot of all possible ones:
1hfx.png

Nominate dukes for the provinces.

Pick a mission, the ones aviable are:

-Reclaim Neumark
-Allign with Magdenburg
- Improve our Prestige

If you want any other changes, say it. This means:
sending of diplomats (note that I make royal marriages, as I am the king.)
assigning of a general to the army or changing merchants from position (also means changing names of the army)

*The king was actually not born yet, but I just edited it because in game terms

Joachim Nestor entered the King's chambers and bowed, he then lifted himself and gave a warming smile.

Your Majesty, I would recommend Jobst von Manstein, a capable statesmen necessary in advising on affairs within the Kingdom, and Jakob Arnswald, a capable Theologian who would surely prove worthy to ensure piety amongst the population and who would also please His Holiness, the Pope. I must also give my support to reclaiming Neumark, which truly belongs to our Kingdom. Finally, if I may be so bold, I would propose myself as a man capable of holding a Ducal title, my family has served these lands for centuries and have, in their capacities as Counts and Land-graves, been able in overseeing lands on behalf of the Crown.

Joachim Nestor bows once more before backing out of the room and scurrying off.

Last edited:
Your Royal Majesty,

Me and my ancestors have been serving your house loyally for many years, as castellans, fogts, captains and governors. From my tender years I have been proving my loyalty to your august father, helping him to protect the realm from all enemies, internal and external. I have spilled my blood and dirtied my sword with the blood of the foes of the realm, I have administered and judged, built castles and conquered them - only for the glory of my King. I humbly wish to continue assisting you, the god-annointed ruler of Brandenburg, in any possible way. Therefore, as several duchies are now free of traitors that previously occupied them, I nominate myself for the Duchy of Brandenburg. If I am appointed, I promise to represent you in these land well. I will defend your regal authority from any rebels or foreign invaders, as I did before - and implement all decisions Your Royal Majesty might make.

- Gerhard von Ammendorf, Baron of Horst, Black Ritter of Grabow

Last edited:
Wilhelm von Saarmund approaches the King.

Your Majesty, I would also recommend Jobst von Manstein as an adviser to the realm. However, I would advise against hiring multiple advisers at this time in order to conserve more money and to increase the size of our armies. I must also give my support to reclaiming Neumark, our rightful land. I also wish to propose the Baron Gerhard von Ammendorf was a man capable of holding the Ducal title of Brandenburg. I have known him for some time and he is a man of strength, honor, and resolve. He would serve the realm well as the Duke of Brandenburg.

Wilhem von Saarmund bows and returns to his position at the side of the court.

((For historical purposes, shouldn't the King be a elector, for Brandenburg is not a Monarchy until Prussia is declared in the 17th century.))

((For historical purposes, shouldn't the King be a elector, for Brandenburg is not a Monarchy until Prussia is declared in the 17th century.))
((It should be yes, but I decided to call me king, for gameplay purposes))

I support reclaiming Neumark. Our ancestors only pawned it to the Teutonic Order, which now ignores this important region. The people of Neumark suffer because of the mismanagement of their knighly masters and I believe that it should once again become the part of Your Royal Majesties domain.

I nominate Wilhelm von Saarmund for the position of Duke of Potsdam. A descendant of an ancient family of Brandenburg, he is know as one of the most educated men of our court, which would govern this fief for you well. Also, I believe that Jobst von Stein is quite worthy of serving my King as his Chief Justiciar and Advisor.

- Gerhard von Ammendorf, Baron of Horst, Black Ritter of Grabow

Last edited:
((BR, having Freidrich as 'king' has ruined my bio! I used his picture, and referenced Albert Achilles by name! :p))

My king, I humbly do recommend that you hire Freidrich von Dott-Dät-Dodt, a fine military advisor; Jobst von Manstein, a diplomat of noted talent; and Jakob Arnswald, a pious and capable administrator.

While I do not wish to make a personal affront to your capabilities, sire, for I believe them to be great, I would also advise that leading our armies yourself may not be beneficial for the realm in the long term. I would be loath to see Your Highness felled in combat, and would therefor humbly request that I take charge of our forces in your stead.

-Johann von Töplitz

Heer von Töplitz, we absolutely cannot afford three foreign advisers to our great realm. Especially considering our desire to reclaim Neumark, which we will need to expand our military to a level capable of defeating the Teutonic Knights. Think of the drain of the treasury if we tried to hire so many skilled men. We must make do with what is possible and affordable.

- Wilhelm von Saarmund

Heer von Töplitz, we absolutely cannot afford three foreign advisers to our great realm. Especially considering our desire to reclaim Neumark, which we will need to expand our military to a level capable of defeating the Teutonic Knights. Think of the drain of the treasury if we tried to hire so many skilled men. We must make do with what is possible and affordable.

- Wilhelm von Saarmund

My Lord, I did not say that we should hire all three – I recommended the three men I felt were most caable for our Margrave's convenience. He may hire as few or as many of them as he wishes.

I would also make it known that I feel we should look to allign with Magdeburg. Only then can we take back what is rightfully ours.

-Johann von Töplitz