• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kazanov

Tawantinsuyu Irredentist
85 Badges
May 30, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
A Storm from the West: a Sunset Invasion AAR

2YrE8SO.jpg

Years ago, when I bought the Sunset Invasion DLC, I became disillusioned with it because it was just an "event mod" and could not play as the aztecs, at first, I wanted to create a mod using the assets of the dlc, but my lack of modding skills stopped me from doing that. So, I started to read about all the theories about the Phoenician discovery of the Americas …I don’t think that this theory its completely true, but hey! It became for me a better explanation for a Sunset Invasion, after all, why the Aztecs would steal the ships from the Norse if they are in a completely different location from where they were kicked out by the “Skrælings”? and also a completely different timeframe?.

So, I started reading about these theories, and as a lover of Phoenician history AND pre columbian archeology I started an AAR that I never finished, because…it lacked …well…depth…and also, I encountered the glorious WTWSMS mod , and after discovering the new possibilities, I started modding a new, better starting date for my AAR using the WTWSMS assets to learn how to do a mod.

Then, I started to write, yes, I wrote a lot of pages concerning language, culture, religion, and stuff I discovered while researching about ancient Phoenician and pre columbian cultures and some parallels between them. And then I scrapped everything…

…Because I discovered the Imperium Universalis mod for Europe Universalis, and I started an AAR based on it. I liked the idea of a transoceanic voyage originated by the fall of a kingdom… so I started the Rise and Fall of Ishfania AAR , the first AAR i ever finished. And then I will continue with the story with this AAR, this will be divided in two parts;

1. The Exiles: the second part of the complete AAR, it’s the one related with the story of the Phoenician discovery of the Americas and will use a map that I created with the tool made by yemmlie101 , and after a lot of soul crushing crashes I have now a stable version of the map, I added cultures, some flags and localization files, and with my research I gave some depth to it (I think it can be modded into a full fledged yucatan-caribbean mod, but.. I lack some technical knowledge related to creating religions, but if I ever made this into a mod, I’ll make the starting date at 1200, so we have better sources to create a good image of pre columbian America.). This part of the story will start in 200 BCE and end in 300 CE, when the exiles go back to the old world and kickstart their own “sunset invasion”. This part will have some EUIV images because the European world still exists (I will do a world recap every 100 years), and also the IU mod lasts into 300 CE…so with that save in observer mode I can have some interesting developments for the old world. Then I will create a CK2 version of that.

2.- Sunset Invasion. This part will be done into a modded ck2 version of the world, I will use some assets from other mods so it could be done easily, I have most of the culture and graphic assets already done, this part of the AAR will in turn, be converted into EUIV. Yes, this is intended to be a mega-campaign. It will cover the story from 300 CE into 1443 CE.

For this part I will be using the following mods:

- When the World Stopped Making Sense.

- Release Vassal as Tributary

- My own mod, that’s mostly gfx, localization, eu4 converter and cultures.

I have edited the world to look like the year 300 CE of the Imperium Universalis Mod

I will use the same thread for these two parts, as it’s the same AAR.

Chapters of the Current part:

Mayan Expedition 250- 307 CE
After the fall of the Empire and the invasion of the ancestral lands.

250-286 CE , Yuumilká Q'uk'umatz,
286- 307 CE Muuk'náal Q'uk'umatz ( Introduction: The Spymaster, Sunset Invasion, Ain't No Rest For The Wicked

Kingdom of Ispania 307- 335 CE
After the conquest of the Kingdom of the Turdetanii

307- 334 CE Muuk'náal Q'uk'umatz (War in All Fronts, Exiles and Champions , Sadness )
334- 335 CE Chak Tok Ich’aak Q'uk'umatz ( The Shadow of the Horsemen , )

Second Mayan Empire 335-559 CE
After the formation of the Second Mayan Empire in the ancestral lands.

335-341 CE Chak Tok Ich’aak Q'uk'umatz ( The New Empire , )
341- 358 CE Kaibil-Balam "The Wise" Q'uk'umatz ( The end of the Hellenic Era )
358- 359 CE Chak Tok Ich’aak II Q'uk'umatz ( Scenes of the Migration Era )
359-380 CE Tecun Uman Q'uk'umatz, "the Sword of "Buluc Chabtan" ( The Conversion of the Etruscan Empire , The Sick Man of the Mediterranean )
380- 392 CE K'awil Q'uk'umatz ( The Sick Man of the Mediterranean , The fall of Carthage ,Scenes of the Mayan Empire , What is love? , The Duel )
392- 451 CE Ixbalanqué Q'uk'umatz ( Scenes of the Migration Era II , The Second Rise of Carthage and the First Kuhul Ahau , The Battle of Grabangri , Traitors and Loyalists , Traitors and Loyalists II , The Vandalic Invasion , Baktun 10 and the Comet of Q'uk'umatz )
451-466 CE Tecun-Uman II Q'uk'umatz ( The Peace of Ixbalanqué )
466- 501 CE Ixbalanqué II Q'uk'umatz( The Peace of Ixbalanqué )
501- 505 CE Butz-Chan Q'uk'umatz ( The Peace of Ixbalanqué )
505-506 CE Ixbalanqué III Q'uk'umatz ( The Peace of Ixbalanqué )
506-516 CE Pacal-Balam Q'uk'umatz ( The Peace of Ixbalanqué , Seeds of War )
516-559 CE Balam-Quitze Q'uk'umatz ( Seeds of War, Seeds of War II , The Great Hunnic War I , The Great Hunnic War II , The Great Hunnic War III , The Great Hunnic War IV , The Mediterranean Confederation )

Mediterranean Confederation 559- 772 CE (213 years)
Formed after the first Great Hunnic War

559-565 CE - Balam-Quitze Q'uk'umatz (The Mediterranean Confederation )
565-583 CE Hunahpú Q'uk'umatz ( The Gilded Decades )
583-598 CE Ek-chuak Q'uk'umatz ( The Great Assembly , The Second Great Hunnic War Part 1 )
598 - 626 CE Anoki Q'uk'umatz ( The Second Great Hunnic War Part 1 , The Second Great Hunnic War part 2 , Winds of Change )
626 - 645 CE Haytili of Carthage ( The Long Peace )
645- 647 CE Yaxum-Balam Q’uk’umatz ( The Long Peace )
647-654 CE Bor Q’uk’umatz ( The Long Peace )
654- 669 CE Almerich Silingi ( The Long Peace )
669-716 CE Balam-Quitze II Q’uk’umatz ( The Long Peace )
716-719 CE Xiu Oncan ( The Long Peace )
719- 727 CE Hilarious Sambatiolus ( The Great Pilgrimage, The last years of the Confederation )
727-736 CE Makarios Ursus ( The last years of the Confederation )
736-740 CE Aylayaneh Haytili ( The last years of the Confederation )
740- 752 CE Maksineh Haytili ( The last years of the Confederation )
752- 759 CE Baalshillek Haytili ( The last years of the Confederation )
759-769 CE Balam Quitzé III Q’uk’umatz ( The last years of the Confederation )
769-772 CE Anoki II Q’uk’umatz ( The last years of the Confederation , The Fourth Ecumenical Council )

EPILOGUE

List of Rulers and chapters:

Kings and Queens of the Kingdom of Ishfania 559- 298 BCE (301 years)
This is the first part, played in EU4 with the Imperium Universalis Mod
559 BCE Mago Yujnegi (The rise of the Kingdom of Ishfania )​
530- 516 BCE, Sophonisba Yujnegi (Living in the shadow of her mother)​
428-425 BCE Dido Yujnegi (The revolution , The end of the Ishfani Civil War )​
425- 394 BCE Milkherem Mago ( A New Dinasty, the same Kingdom)​
394- 332 BCE Similce II Mago ( Colonization)​
290 BCE Jezebel Mago (The Fall of Ishfania )​

Leader of the Exiles (200-171, 29 years)
The second part, in the new world.
Great Jawoh of the Great Republic of the Odiq'e (171-70 BCE, 101 years)
Still in the new world.
171- 160 BCE Zinnridi Yujnegi ( The New Order )​
160- 151 BCE Baalhaan Yujnegi ( The Wicked , The Cursed Leader )​
151 BCE Admago Yujnegi ( The Wise)​
151- 128 BCE Mathos Yujnegi (The Wise)​
128-125 BCE Dido Yujnegi ( The prophesies)​
89- 87 BCE Bomical Yujnegi ( The Mayan Invasions )​
87- 70 BCE Tzun Yujnegi ( The Mayan Invasions , Tzun's counterattack)​
70 BCE Ri'gual Yujnegi, ( Feathered Serpent )​
Ahau of the Ma'ya'ab Ahauil (70 BCE- 3 CE, 73 years)
After the conquest of Tikal by Ri'gual Yujnegi or Q'uk'umatz
1 CE Yaamil Q'uk'umatz ( The succession crisis )​
1- 3 CE Áakan Q'uk'umatz , the Unlucky ( The succession crisis )​
Ahau of the Mayan Empire (6-250 CE)
After the unification of the Mayan Kingdoms by Muuk'nal Q'uk'umatz
6-9 CE , Muuk’nal Q'uk'umatz, The Usurper ( The Empires of the New Millenium, The four Emperors )​
9 CE ,Aj-koo Q'uk'umatz, ( The four Emperors )​
8-9 CE , Koj Q'uk'umatz, ( The four Emperors )​
9- 74 CE ,Yopat Q'uk'umatz, the Sword of Kukulcan, ( The four Emperors )​
74-75 CE ,Aj-koo II Q'uk'umatz, “the Twitchy”, ( Golden Age and Collapse )​
75-92 CE ,Aakan Q'uk'umatz, “the Fairest of Tikal”, ( Golden Age and Collapse )​
92- 95 CE ,Yopat II Q'uk'umatz, ( Golden Age and Collapse )​
95 -101 CE ,Aakan II Q'uk'umatz, ( Golden Age and Collapse )​
101-105 CE ,Yuunkin Q'uk'umatz, ( Golden Age and Collapse )​
105-115 CE ,Yuumilbeh Q'uk'umatz, ( Golden Age and Collapse )​
115-155 CE ,Gual’ri Q'uk'umatz, ( Golden Age and Collapse )​
155-180 CE ,Muuk’nal II Q'uk'umatz, ( Golden Age and Collapse )​
180-215 CE ,Muuk’naal III Q'uk'umatz, ( Golden Age and Collapse )​
215-218 CE ,Muuk’naal IV Q'uk'umatz, ( Golden Age and Collapse )​
218-250 CE ,Muuk’naal V Q'uk'umatz, “The Cursed Emperor”, ( Golden Age and Collapse )​
Mayan Expedition 250
250-286 CE , Yuumilká Q'uk'umatz, ( Golden Age and Collapse )​

A. The Migration Period

Mayan Expedition 250- 307 CE

250-286 CE , Yuumilká Q'uk'umatz,
286- 307 CE Muuk'náal Q'uk'umatz ( Introduction: The Spymaster, Sunset Invasion, Ain't No Rest For The Wicked

Kingdom of Ispania 307- 335
After the conquest of the Kingdom of the Turdetanii

307- 334 CE Muuk'náal Q'uk'umatz (War in All Fronts, Exiles and Champions , Sadness )
334- 335 CE Chak Tok Ich’aak Q'uk'umatz ( The Shadow of the Horsemen , )

Second Mayan Empire 335-
After the formation of the Second Mayan Empire in the ancestral lands.

335-341 CE Chak Tok Ich’aak Q'uk'umatz ( The New Empire , )
341- 358 CE Kaibil-Balam "The Wise" Q'uk'umatz ( The end of the Hellenic Era )
358- 359 CE Chak Tok Ich’aak II Q'uk'umatz ( Scenes of the Migration Era )
359-380 CE Tecun Uman Q'uk'umatz, "the Sword of "Buluc Chabtan" ( The Conversion of the Etruscan Empire , The Sick Man of the Mediterranean )
380- 392 CE K'awil Q'uk'umatz ( The Sick Man of the Mediterranean , The fall of Carthage ,Scenes of the Mayan Empire , What is love? , The Duel )
392- CE Ixbalanqué Q'uk'umatz ( Scenes of the Migration Era II , The Second Rise of Carthage and the First Kuhul Ahau , The Battle of Grabangri )

Cronology:

559 BCE, Mago Yujnegi creates the kingdom of Ishfania after taking control of the city of Gadir and the surrounding lands, after being crowned as the first king dies after a few weeks and is succeeded by his daughter, Sophonisiba.

549 BCE, An expedition commanded by the Hannonia family departs from Gadir and discovers the islands of Tanit after being lost during a storm on the high seas while they were looking for a route to southern Africa. The settlement of Hann is then established.

540 BCE Cyrus the Great dies during his campaign to conquer the Empire of Lydia. Babylon and Egypt revolt and regain their independence, the Persians are pushed back to their homeland.

523 BCE, A settlement is created on a large landmass south of Hann after establishing contact with the natives, a great plague decimate the native populations, who now believes that the Hannonia are cursed, so a feud starts between the two groups. The natives of the southern lands have more manpower and military strength so the ishfani colonists retreat back into their islands.
A big and deadly epidemic then strike all the peoples of the new lands, killing thousands.

511 BCE The Senate of Carthage is replaced by a Monarchy after a revolt of the nobility, from now on, Carthage will start to militarily assert their dominance on the Mediterranean.

509 BCE The League of Etruria its created by Lucius Tarquinius Superbus, the deposed last King of Rome. This league is composed by the northern Etruscan city-states and recognize Tarquinius as their king.

505 BCE, During the reign of Similce Yujnegi the Ishfani lands greatly expand and the prosperity of the kingdom increases considerably. Some talk about an Ishfani golden age.

506 BCE, Phoenicia its annexed by the Babylonian Empire.

474 BCE, The contact between the Hannonian settlers and the kingdom of Ishfania is reestablished, a treaty is made between both parties, slaves and artisans are sent from the kingdom to the colonies. Since then, fleets commanded by the Hannonia are received every 5 years in Gadir to continue trade between the colonies and the metropolis, this is done in secret to avoid commercial competition with other Phoenician nations.

469 BCE, Rome tries to conquer the southern Etruscan city states, who organize in the Etruscan League of the Velahtri, outnumbered and outmatched the city of Rome its conquered and integrated into the Etruscan world. The Roman Senate continues to operate but under the tutelage of an Etruscan King.

462 BCE, During the reign of Ayzebel Yujnegi a golden age is lived in Ishfania. Culture, economy, and society live a prosperity that will become legendary in the years to come.

450 BCE The greek city-state of Syracuse expands into the rest of Sicily while the Kingdom of Carthage expands into the lands of the Garamantes.

425 BCE, The Yujnegi dynasty loses the throne of Gadir after a civil war that lasted three years, the Mago dynasty assumes the throne of the hand of Milkherem Mago. The new rulers of Ishfania are unaware of the existence of the Hannonian colonies to the west, and the Yujnegi loyalists take refuge in the Canarian Islands.

390 BCE The League of Etruria begin to expand into celtic lands in response to a failed celtic invasion of their lands.

360 BCE The Celts expand in the west, conquering most of the Iberian tribes of the region.

355 BCE The Siracusans form the Kingdom of Trinakria after expelling Carthage from Sicily after a short war.

353 BCE, During the reign of Similce Mago, Ishfania annexed Malaha, another Phoenician nation, assuming commercial supremacy in the south of Iberia during the First Iberian-African War.

351 BCE The Kingdom of Babylon starts their conquest of the Kingdom of Lidya, a slow but violent war its being waged by the two powers.

336 BCE, Alexander III of Macedon dies trying to liberate Lydia from the Babylonian invaders. He is transformed into a legendary hero by his exploits in that war.

332 BCE, Fuabal Hannonia, leader of the colonists of Hann, sends a big fleet back to Ishfania to get help against the Kalinago, the natives of the southern lands that are raiding and burning their settlements, the fleet arrives at the Canary islands were the Yujnegi exiles lived. The Hannonian travelers then decide to not return to their homes in Hann and live with the exiles until a big exodus can be prepared. Then the exiles start to gather materials to prepare for the biggest exodus across the sea in human history.

332-328 BCE The first Celtic-Iberic war marks the defeat of the Celtic peoples in Iberia and the rise of the Turdetani as a regional power.

300 BCE, Second Iberian-African War, Carthage, the big historical ally of Ishfania, abandon them in a war against a great Iberian alliance leaded by Turdetani. For the first time in their history the ishfani lost a war and a lot of territories.

290 BCE, Third Iberian-African War. Ishfania falls after being invaded by the Iberians. Turdetani becomes a regional power.

210 BCE, All the Hannonian settlements save from Hann and New Tyre fall before the wrath of the Kalinago. After more than a century of waiting for reinforcements from their homeland the hannonians have lost all hope and are preparing themselves to make their last stand.

205 BCE, After 127 years of preparations the Yujnegi exiles start the big migration across the sea into the lands discovered by the Hannonia.
200 BCE, The exiles arrive in Hann, in the unknown west. After talking to local mercants New Gadir was founded in the new world by Zinnridi Yujnegi, the leader of the Exiles.

189 BCE, Following the advice of his council integrated by exiles, taino, mayan and olmec advisors, Zinnridi buys Oq Yqayo and starts to meddle into Mayan affairs.

174 BCE. After trying to restore the Olmecs into their rightful lands, the Exiles lost a war against the mayan Kingdom of Ajaw, ending a short age of military supremacy for them.

171 BCE, Zinnridi Yujnegi crowns himself as Great Jawoh of the Great Republic of the Odiq'e, ruling over the last olmecs, some Taino and Maya and his phoenician subjects, this would mark the beginning of a new age in the region.

125 BCE, The plague that nearly destroyed the Great Republic and that persisted from the times of Zinnridi Yujnegi ended.

121 BCE, Under the leadership of Malchus Yujnegi, the Odiq'e conquer the Taino, marking their first military victory in the new world.

70 BCE after a ten-year campaign led by Tzun Yujnegi, the Odiq'e conquer the Ma'ya'ab, their southern enemies, as she died before the final victory the conquest its atributed to Ri'gual Yujnegi, her son, who took mayan customs and began to be called Q'uk'umatz, or "Feathered Serpent". This marked the start of a new age where the Odiq'e started to see themselves as mayans.

11 BCE, after a great period of peace, the mayan forces of Q'uk'umatz conquer the Kingdom of Coatzalcoalcos, expanding the power of his house.

1 CE, after the death of Q'uk'umatz, the Great Mayan Conqueror, his descendants fight for the control of the three kingdoms he ruled, starting the War of Succession.

6 CE, After the victory of Muuk’naal Q'uk'umatz in the War of Succession, the Mayan Kingdoms are unified and the mayan faith its reformed, starting a new era for the western continent.

74 CE, Under the rule of Yopat Q'uk'umatz the last Mayan Kindoms are conquered, thus begins the Golden Age of the Mayan Empire

250 CE, after enjoying a long Golden Age, the Mayan Empire collapsed because of a drought and civil unrest, Muuk’naal V, the last Emperor send his son to the old world to reclaim the lands of their ancestors.

302-308 CE, Muuk'naal Q'uk'umatz, grandson of Muuk'naal V the last Emperor of the Mayan Empire, started the Sunset Invasion carving his own kingdom in Europe and restoring Ishfania, now called Ispania in 308 CE.

334 CE Chak Tok Ich'aak Q'uk'umatz proclaims the Second Mayan Empire after conquering vasts amounts of territory.

340+- CE, The Lydian Empire falls to the slavic invaders, signaling the start of the Barbarian age according to Etruscan historians and the end of the Hellenic era.

352 CE, The Kemetic faith is reformed by Pharaoh Malewiebamani Ruweis of Egypt

359 CE, The Great Pyramid of Q'uk'umatz is built in Cadiz.

366 CE, The Tengri faith is reformed by the Huns, Battle of Heves between the Etruscans and the Huns, the Etruscans lose the battle but the Huns are obliterated by civil war.

372 CE, Emperor Adam "the frog" of the Etruscan Empire converts to Christinity.

386 CE, The City of Carthage is conquered by K'awil Q'uk'umatz of the Mayan Empire, marking the end of Phoenician dominance on the Western Mediterranean.

Last edited:
Reactions:
You have my interest. How big is the Caribbean map you made?

3072 x 2048, as most of the map is water, i cannot made it bigger, or smaller. I think that that is a good size for a map, in the first versions i added the Amazon and northern Perú...but it was too big and the region was irrelevant for this AAR so i left it out from the map.

Reactions:
Excellent to see the story of this world continue.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm looking forward to this!

Reactions:
Chapter 1. The Travel. BCE 200.
Chapter 1. The Travel. BCE 200.

AJKWwGS.jpg

Zinnridi Yujnegi, the leader of the ishfani exiles who were hiding in Kowx'kje for more than two centuries in what would be later known as the Canary Islands , had been strictly following the advice of the council of elders who had teached him everything he knew, and was preparing with a lot of caution the great travel across the sea that would save his people from all their enemies, and more important than that, that will gave his people a new start to become stronger and maybe, in the future, come back to the lands that once were Ishfania so his descendants could reclaim his birthright.​

He planned to take some animals along with his people to the other side of the world, which was a complicated decision because, due to the duration of the trip, the risks that this entailed, the limited resources of the expedition itself, they could not transport a great variety of them, so he ordered that only horses, chickens and goats were shipped together alongside with food for them. The horses because the Hannonia, old colonists of the western lands known only to the ishfani as the “Islands of Tanit”, had reported that they had not seen that the natives had domesticated some type of larger animal, chickens and goats because they occupied little space on the vessels, and unlike larger animals consumed few resources, and produced food that could be consumed during the trip by the exiles, such as eggs and milk.

As for food, they transported onions and garlic, wonders of the east that the Ishfani consumed because of their early trade with Egypt and because of their medicinal properties. And of course, olives, a staple in the Phoenician diet. They also carried large amounts of salt to preserve the cured meats and fish they brought with them. As for fruits, they brought apples and citrus since they had been told that they had not found them in the other side of the world.

The large vessels that would transport them, were the result of centuries of constant innovation by the Hannonia, and with the accumulated resources of the Yujnegi family, they had built a large fleet to transport the nearly three thousand Ishfani who were now preparing for the trip of their lives, a lunar month was the time they would be on the high seas ... and they hoped that the long journey would not be as dangerous as was for the first settlers who crossed the great sea.

220 years ago, when the first Yujnegi exiles took refuge in these islands after losing the civil war against the Mago usurpers, the Hannonia talked to Dido, the deposed queen, about settling into the western colonies, but she didn’t wanted to abandon her right to the ishfani throne and so did her successors, but after the fall of the Kingdom and the dissolution of it after the Turdetani takeover, nearly 90 years ago, the Yujnegi decided to look west. But, the gathering of resources and planning took a lot of time. And was now, in the year 200 BCE when they were ready to go.

cyBYi4T.jpg

Ishfania, the fallen kingdom.​

So, in June of that year, and taking advantage of the good climate of that particular year, they sailed west, and the travel itself was done in 4 stages.

neikRJL.png

1.- Kowx'kje - 2.- Kir Chares, After leaving Kowx'kje, the fleet of exiles went south, to the Carthaginian commercial settlement abandoned some decades ago called Kir Chares and that for some time it had been occupied by a few Ishfani, there they were supplied with salted meats and the mollusks used to create the Tyrian Purple, one of the signature trade goods of the ishfani, after also stocking their ships with drinking water, they continued the journey to the south. This part of the trip took two days.

2.- Kir Chares - 3.- Mquhoex '. From Kir Chares they arrived at the small Ishfani settlement of Mquhoex ', a small town from which contact had been made with the natives of the region and that had been built at least ten years ago with the sole purpose of this travel. This part of the trip lasted five days.

3.- Mquhoex’- 4.- Oq Ykayo. Oq Ykayo was established as a trade post some centuries ago so they could get some fresh wáter before doing the long sea voyage to Hann, and after the fall of the Yujnegi was mostly inhabited. After three days of navigation the exiles reached this point and got more fresh water and food that a scouting party had gathered there.

4.- Oq Ykayo - 5.- Hann. It was a 12-day trip across the sea, and thanks to the Hannonia's experience and the skill of their navigators, the fleet arrived more or less unscathed to Hann, with a dozen of casualties, mostly old people who did not endured the harsh trip.

So, after 22 days of travel, the fleet of the exiles was now in the bay of Hann, the travelers had expected a big city, because for years they had speculated about Hann as a paradise on earth that would make Gadir itself look as a tiny coastal town, but the reality was other, because Hann was nothing more than a ruined fishing village, with a lot of destroyed buildings and the dockyard was not even big enough for the ships to dock. There was a few peoples at the shore, looking amazed at the big ships, as they had never seen one of their own ships before...

After seeing the disappointment in the faces of his people, Zinnridi decided that they would not disembark until he personally inspected Hann, and after he spoke with the leader of the Hannonia about the fate of his people.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Quite the intrepid voyage.

Reactions:
Small beginnings, it seems. But they brought what could be quite the sources of riches with them.

Reactions:
Chapter 2: Misery. 200 BCE
Chapter 2: Misery. 200 BCE

The ishfani fleet was anchored at the bay of Hann, and the state of the settlement impressed Zinnridi, who never expected it to be so small, the inhabitants, most of them being of Phoenician descent rushed to the shore to see the great fleet that had arrived…. after 132 years of waiting for it.

In the past, the Hannonia ruled over a series of islands that they lost one by one against the Kalinago, a warlike people who lived in the south that also were good sailors, as good as the technology let them in this part of the world. The constant state of war against them had impoverished the colonist until the point that they wanted to flee their settlements and return to their ancestral homeland in Ishfania, but they hadn’t got any news from the motherland since many generations ago…and the secrets of sea travel were lost to the Kalinago onslaught when the last navigators were killed in a raid two generations ago.

Zinnridi and his guards were the first old worlders to set foot on these strange lands after more than three hundred years, when the Ishfani arrived here for the first time. The leader of the exiles was happy to see how the hannonians, his own kin, were receiving him, but he was disturbed with the bad living conditions in which his brothers were living, even his people, who were refugees and had traveled across the sea for a month or so, looked less poor and mistreated by life than the inhabitants of Hann.

5lNpFUU.jpg

The Hannonia buildings were similar to the ones were lived the natives of the region at the time.

So, he commanded some of his guards to remain vigilant of the cargo of his fleet, the hannonians were allies, but one cannot truly trust any human beings living in this conditions, he thought, and ordered that no one of the exiles could set foot on these islands, at least not for now, so his own people would remain as prisoners inside their own vessels. As Zinnridi walked by the streets of Hann, he also noticed that were some natives among the colonists, and that they were living as equals. He also observed that in Hann, because of the small size of the inhabited area could not live more than 300 people.

Zinnridi was right, famine and war hit the hannonians hard in the recent years, and even if Hann was the biggest of all the Phoenician settlement in this side of the world, it was small compared with even the smallest of the fishing villages of the ishfani in the good years before the fall of the Kingdom.

Finally, he arrived at the wooden hut, "the palace" of his host, where Yaamil Hannonia were expecting him with a great feast, crab, fish, strange plants from this new world were in the table, Zinnridi observed his counterpart, he was dressed in the fashion of the old days of Ishfania, with some trinkets made of gold and jade and a necklace made of copper and beautiful colored feathers. The ruler of this place was the only one that was well dressed, at least according to the customs of the east.

After eating together and talking about what had happened in both sides of the world both leaders had a discussion regarding the expedition, the colonists expected a military one to finally deal with the Kalinago, not ships full with refugees looking for a new home, and the Yujnegi expected a great colony, were their people could live in peace and with some decency, not a ruined and poor fishing town. As they discussed, one of the servants of Yaamil arrived with news about a Taino merchant canoe that had arrived recently in their coast. Zinnridi was impatient, but the Hannonia looked quiet.

V5qAPhk.jpg

- I’m happy that you enjoyed our food, my dear Yujnegi, we, the Hannonia, are humble people, isolated from the world and victims of the caprices of our enemies. I do not know about your distant lands and their strange politics, but if you want to learn about the politics of this side of the world, you can come with me and meet the Taino, as they know more than i, and they can inform you better about lands were you can settle, if you …don’t like my island. - Said Yaamil with a sad but calculated tone.

Zinnridi was offended by the notion of an ishfani leader not knowing the state of politics near his own dominion, and was bewildered by the idea of not exploring the surrounding area to get more supplies for his people to control the regional trade, but understood that having an argument against his host was useless, so he changed the subject.

-Well, I will go with you to meet these foreigners, but in the meantime, I will make camp outside of your settlement and we will have a celebration, because our people will rise again from the ashes and your people will see the end to their suffering, lets drink tomorrow together and talk about the trade with the natives and the state of your lands, I have come here not as a King, but as a brother- said Zinnridi raising his hand to call his guards to get out of this so called “palace” and back to his fleet.

4ZADFJs.jpg

The "Palace" of the Hannonia "King".

The next week, the three peoples feasted together, and one of the Taino merchants was well learned into the old tongue of the ishfani merchants, and Zinnridi had a better time talking to Dagüao, leader of the foreign merchants, than talking to the ignorant leader of the Hannonia, and feasting and drinking he learned about this new world…

XfeWPMA.jpg

Feasting and drinking, you can make alliances, that's since the dawn of humanity.

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Quite the intrepid voyage.

I researched and think that a travel across the sea at that time and level of technology was nearly impossible, even to the phoenician masters of the sea, but i wanted my Sunset Invasion anyways :D
Small beginnings, it seems. But they brought what could be quite the sources of riches with them.

The monopoly of horses can be a big source of income, in mesoamerica they hadnt so much sources of meat, so horses, goats and chickens can provide a good monopoly of the meat market...but then, you also get diseases....

Reactions:
Well humans are capable of tremendous feats, even if only achieved by blind luck :)

Talk though about coming from humble beginnings ... or given the state of things, a humble interlude.

Reactions:
Chapter 3: The two worlds in 200 BCE
Chapter 3: The two worlds in 200 BCE

When the Hannonia arrived in these islands, they were inhabited by small villages of fishermen who lived simple and uneventful lives, so was easy to convince them to integrate into the hannonian society as equals, and settlements were built to mark sovereignty over them. Over time the Hannonia entered into contact with two peoples:

suxEUrD.jpg

The Kalinago of the south, at first traded peacefully with the hannonians when they arrived from Ishfania, they had such good relations, that the natives even allowed the exploration in their lands and the construction of a settlement in the landmass of the south, but then, after a few weeks things changed between the two peoples as a disease killed a big percentage of the native population, in desperation, the Kalinago chiefs begged for help to the Hannonia looking for a cure. And so them sent some healers to study it and cure the natives.

wdM6kML.jpg

But there was no known cure for the plague and strangely enough, the Hannonia envoys were immune to it, so the peaceful Kalinago started to kill the foreigners in their lands, blaming them for their disgrace. It is said that even some of the natives, in total desperation, started to eat the flesh of the Hannonia they killed to get cure from their disease, and it worked. Or maybe they believed it did because the plague ended afterwards.

More than 100 years have passed since then, and there were no good relations with the Kalinago, who from time to time used to raid the hannonian settlements to get human flesh to eat and get cures for different diseases.

The second group of peoples that the Hannonia encountered, were the Islanders, peaceful people that entered into contact with Hann while they were traveling across the sea nearly 100 years ago. They were traders, and farmers who lived on the coasts of the northern islands. As they hated the Kalinago too, both peoples became good trade partners and every full moon a great caravan of Islanders came to Hann to trade with the locals.

Over the years, the Hannonia learned that a big plague hit most civilizations in this side of the world at the time of the Kalinago incident happened, so the colonists avoided further exploration in fear that more peoples would begin to hunt them for “medicinal purposes”, and after generations of relative isolation, traveling outside of the area dominated by the Hannonia was a taboo among them.

But they heard the stories about other peoples that the traveling merchants tell them anyways, so the colonists waited with great anticipation every full moon to learn about the unknown Kingdoms of the West.

Farther west, from where the dominions of the islanders were located, there was a big landmass were the Maya, the most powerful peoples in these lands, lived, they also were known for their legends and myths, culture and science, but they had a darker side, after facing so many plagues centuries ago, so they also were known, when the times were bad, for sacrifice prisoners of war to their blood gods. Tales were told about how they also studied the stars and unlocked powerful magics that made them invincible in warfare. Their most powerful City-state was Kaminaljuyu, ruled by a god-king, who made the earth produce food for his kin, wielding magics that rivaled these of the god themselves.

8TljAqw.jpg

Far away, to the north-west, a strange and ancient civilization of men had built great stone pyramids and beautiful temples where they worshiped their ancient gods. They were ruled by an a legendary aristocracy half human, half jaguar, the Islanders called these the “Ajaw” or “the lords” in the language of the Maya. These legendary peoples were declining and were being replaced by the Maya in the last centuries, tales were told about how maybe the “Ajaw” enraged the gods, and were how because of that were abandoned by them, most of their old cities were in ruins as political power shifted to the south.

Tezgf6L.jpg

The farthest peoples known by the merchants, were the Ben’zaa, or people of the clouds, not so much were known about them,tales were told about their religious beliefs on merciful rain gods and wars against the Maya peoples, the. The only known city-state ruled by them was Mitla, ruled by a caste of high priests.

E07FHtV.jpg

Meanwhile, in the east, a new era had begun in the Old World as the Etruscans has recently conquered the powerful Gauls and started to expand into the lands of the fierce Germanic warriors, their war was a preventive one, as they wanted to live in peace, and they know that this desire would be impossible while these barbaric peoples existed. So they started something like a crusade,to expand their civilization and way of life so they could live to these savage peoples
jNjwCFA.jpg

In the greek world, Makedonia started to expand north, and following the same principles that were guiding the hands of the Etruscans, a new order was being created Hellenistic values and culture were expanding into every corner of their known world.

gZNBpHI.jpg

The Old Kingdom of the Lydians were being overrun by the powerful Empire of Babylonians, and the Kingdom of Sparta were fighting alongside the Lydians for their survival, not so much because they were good allies, but because they didn’t want the Babylonians expanding into the Hellenistic world.

MSBa4Qe.jpg

Meanwhile, the Empire of Carthage were living a golden age, isolated from the conflicts of their age and trading with everyone on the Mediterranean Sea. Their lands were giving them good profits and they believed themselves to be at the center of the world, dominating trade.

MMuW77Y.jpg

Meanwhile, the Turdetani, after defeating Ishfania, began their expansion into the lands of the Mauri, and were creating a great empire unopposed by any competition. Turdetani culture was now a mix of Phoenician and Iberian ones and they also were living good times.

cjLoFG8.jpg

Big empires were being born in this age, with the Turdetani, Carthaginians, the Hellenics, the Etruscans and Babylonians dominating the world surrounding the Mediterranean Sea, and the Maya starting to rise as the great power in the West. Will the recently arrived phoenicians change everything in this new world? or they would end up like they did in the old?.....

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
The Etruscans are on a roll

Reactions:
Chapter 4: Trade and war. 200-179 BCE
Chapter 4: Trade and war. 200-179 BCE.

After living with the Hannonia for two weeks, Zinnridi, the leader of the Exiles, concluded that his people would not remain stagnating in these tiny islands like the colonists had done, and after talking again to their leader, he decided to sail west with the Taino merchants to find a land where he could settle his people. The Hannonia didn’t wanted to follow them, disgusted by the idea of being forsaken by their peoples again and abandoning their lands after having fought so much for them, so they decided that they would fend against the Kalinago alone.

The Taino merchants had told him about the the trade routes used by most civilizations in the region, so Zinnridi ordered his better scribes to work with the natives to create a series of maps, so they could know this region better. But the Taino knowledge was limited and the differences in the language caused that gap to increase exponentially at least in what was related to technical knowledge.

So, after studying the few information gained from the relation with the Taino, they settled in an island near a key position in the local trade routes, between the Islanders and the Mayan peoples of the mainland, and they named the settlement New Gadir, in honor of the lost capital of the Kingdom of Ishfania.

taXb7zF.jpg

In the next ten years, they started to study the local languages, and their trade fleets traveled in all directions, increasing the influence the Yujnegi as they had the monopoly in horses and goats, new animal’s unknown to this new world and agricultural techniques, cemented the prominence of New Gadir as a center of trade. Zinnridi and his council were uncertain if they would trade iron tools and weapons to the natives, as that could destroy any military advantage over their neighbors. In turn they received new food and knowledge, cocoa, corn, potatoes, new woods, rubber, and the cultural traditions of the Mayan and late Olmecs like sports and poetry were the main goods received at the port of New Gadir.

In 189 BCE, following the council of his Taino advisors, Zinnridi Yujnegi received a delegation from Ajaw, led by Kujy u’id, prince of the Olmec Kingdom of Ajaw, who advised the leader of the Exiles to buy land in the Yucatan Peninsula, so the trade with the Maya world could be done easier, this was supported by Maktsil, his mayan concubine and one of his most reliable experts in local culture. The Exiles weren’t sure of this move, as could create tensions with the locals, but Zinnridi knew that if the Taino, his concubine, and a local prince were telling him to do something, at least he could try.

VlFMQcI.jpg

Xk7cSF2.jpg

Two foreigners, two people with influence in the court of the Exiles.
So he approached the mayan Tatich of Qaarave, K’inich K’ini and after a short negotiation, the Exiles brought the northern territory under K’inich, now named Oq Ykayo, or “The Crossing” by the Phoenicians. The territory was sacred to the local Maya and the only condition of the purchase was to respect the shrines of Ixchel, mayan goddess of abundance, that was easy as Tanit, their goddess, was somewhat similar to Ixchel.

cZwDC4h.jpg

A strange alliance, but a good one?
What followed were some years of prosperity for the Exiles, the religious similarities between the Maya and the Phoenicians based in the new cult of Ixchel-Tanit forged strong bonds between the two peoples and it seemed that this great friendship could last forever.

alzynC6.jpg

Oq Ykayo, the new lands adquired, a religious center.
In 185 BCE, a great number of Olmec refugees marched into the lands ruled by Zinnridi bringing sad news, the last Olmec Kingdom of Ajaw, had fallen after a mayan invasion. Kuiy u’id was the last survivor of the royal family and now was asking for a new home for his people, under the banner of the Exiles. Zinnridi, seeing an opportunity to have more subjects, good craftsmen and highly educated advisors, accepted the Olmec refugees to live in his lands. Soon the Olmec prince was promised to Dido, his daughter and future priestess of Ixchel-Tanit to create a biggest bond between the two peoples. The two peoples were different in ethnicity, religion, culture and language, There was one thing they had in common, both peoples had been expelled from their lands and they would start a new life, together.

a1EXAZU.png

A new world of trade and prosperity was being forged
But then, in 179 BCE, a local confederation of minor mayan tribes led by K’inich K’ini declared war on the Exiles to kick them out of their lands, as they felt threatened by the prosperity of the newcomers, so, the first war against the mayan peoples started, nearly twenty years after the Ishfani peoples crossed the sea.

hg7xjSa.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Well it was only a matter of time before the Exiles were forced to prove their ability to exist in these new lands.

Reactions:
Well it was only a matter of time before the Exiles were forced to prove their ability to exist in these new lands.

I hope that the situation experienced in the last AAR do not repeat. But, well, ck2 have less harsh penalties than the eu4 ones for losing a war.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Well, this is where they prove themselves a new power. Or don't.

Reactions:
Chapter 5: The Goddess. (179 BC)
Chapter 5: The Goddess. (179 BC)

The gods made the first Maya-Quiche from mud. Little they lasted.

They were soft, without strength; They crumbled before walking.

Then they tried making them with wood. The wooden dolls talked and walked,

but they were dry: they had no blood or substance, memory or direction. They did not know

how to talk to the gods, or they did not find anything to tell them.

Then the gods made from corn the mothers and fathers. With

yellow and white corn kneaded their flesh.

The corn women and men saw as much as the gods. Their look

spread over the whole world.

The gods then created vapor and left their eyes clouded forever,

because they did not want people to see beyond the horizon.​

Eduardo Galeano, Memoria del Fuego ( 1982 ), p 34.
---​
Dido Yujnegi, the oldest daughter of Zinnridi, the leader of the Exiles, was walking to the biggest temple in Oq Ykayo escorted by the local priests, following the orders of his father she had been studying the Maya, Phoenician and Taino religion from a very young age. As a talented student, she had discovered that the three religion systems had something in common, and was the existence of a powerful female goddess.

V6MYYLD.jpg

The three Goddesses, Atabey, Ixchel and Tanit.​

Atabey was the female goddess of the Taino, she was the spirit of all the sources of freshwater, fertility and taught the Taino how to communicate with the spirits of nature. She had rule over the tidal waves and some aspects of war too.

Ixchel was the female goddess of the Maya, related with fertility, the rainbows and the moon, Oq Yqayo had a sacred precipice where a rainbow was formed every day so the people could bring statues of the goddess to adore her. She could give life to the living beings and was capable of healing the sick and take care of pregnant women, but when enraged she could turn violent and send torments and floods to damage those who did wrong to her, and she had a war aspect represented by the snake. As the agriculture was related to the cycles of the moon, Ixchel was responsible for the fertility of the land and the good harvests, the basis of the Mayan way of life, and therefore, at least in the region where the Exiles lived, her cult was great and powerful.

Tanit was the female goddess of the Phoenicians and the most important in the Ishfani pantheon under El, the supreme god. She was associated with fertility and the moon, and had the same characteristics than the other two goddesses. She had too a war aspect, represented by statues of her with the head of a lion, this was the aspect more revered by the Ishfani, who had learned the hard way that war, in this time and age, was as important as trade.

After abandoning the temple, the priests were conducting a ceremony in front of all the exiles armies in the old language of the ishfani merchants that was now the official language under the rule of Zinnridi Yujnegi. He, as the great leader, was sitting on a throne on top of a grand stage, with Kuiy u’id at his side, as his co-ruler, both could see the troops from there, more than three thousand men kneeling before their two monarchs, and behind them, a large statue of the triple goddess who represented all the characteristics of the feminine deities of the three peoples, Maya-Olmec, Taino and Phoenician.

Dido was young, but she understood the importance of the ritual that was taking place, a war was to be fought against the Maya tribes, so a big offering was being presented to the female goddess. The Olmec had their own gods too, in their old times, but now they were kneeling before this foreign female representation of prosperity, as they had been forsaken by their gods long time ago.

Legends were told on the old days, about the peoples who would come from beyond the horizon, from where the Exiles had arrived in their big ships, so this had a sacred significance for the locals, and Zinnridi wanted to use that to create cohesion between his people.

He saw how his daughter was blessing his troops and felt proud of her, a young woman who had cemented the alliance with the Olmec and now was starting to be seen as the divine avatar of the triple goddess by the peasants, and as an example of purity and diligence. In that precise moment, he swore that his daughter would have an important role in the religion that was beginning to be created, so he would entrust her with more diligence in her studies and religious duties, while at the same time she had to fulfill her duties as a wife.

loeHoTH.jpg

Two worlds together​

Kuiy u’id, the Olmec prince, and husband of Dido, was thinking to himself if this moment could be the starting point of his fights to recover his throne, and as much as he loved his young and beautiful wife, he too was seeing her as a tool of dominance over the Exiles, the Maya, the Taino and his own people. He was happy having her there blessing the troops, and he planned a future with her as his Queen…but first they needed to win this war.

So, the armies marched south, and faced their enemies in the battle of the Qaarave Tribe, were the numeric superiority of the Exiles won the day.

sY5jfj6.jpg

In this short but important conflict Kuiy u’id demonstrated his skills as a general and leader, which made Zinnridi feel satisfied with his son-in law. The war had been won and Tatich K’inich surrendered afterwards.

Ry4anO5.jpg

The Exiles had won their first war, and after seeing the weakness of their enemies, now wanted more.

Little they know about the dangers of the west, were the great city-states of the Maya received the news with distrust and were sending spies to Oq Ykayo, to learn more of this new menace.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions: