• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(425201)

Colonel
3 Badges
Dec 19, 2011
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
I have been addicted to the States Mod for quite a while now, so I thought I'd do an AAR of it. Here's some stuff you should know about it:
-It adds the US States and Canadian provinces (it's also been hinted that the modmaker will also add Mexican states) onto the regular 1399 scenario.
-It uses the DAO map, the same map that is used in Death and Taxes as well.
-There is no Terra Incognita
-Especially with AI aggressiveness on high, the states like to go berserk killing each other and forming massive blobs very quickly, making the game extremely entertaining.
-This is due to the fact that the states have missions to conquer a lot of their neighbors (some states have more than others).
-There are many regions that have formable countries. In Ohio's case, the only formable nation other than North America is the Northern Union (representing the North in the US Civil War).
Unfortunately, I've encountered in error where I can not start new games, only continue old ones. Luckily however, I have an Ontario save from the beginning, so I'll still be able to play this. However, I won't be able to change the settings. The settings are, if I recall correctly:
-AI Aggressiveness on High
-Spread of land and sea provinces on 25 years
-No Lucky Nations
-Everything else on Normal
I usually like to play with 400 Colonist size, but I forgot to do this when playing as Ontario.:sad:
I plan on working on the first update after posting this OP.

Chapter 1- Preview

The state of Ohio starts out in a precarious situation, right on New York's doorstep. New York very often takes over New England and Pennsylvania, so they are extremely dangerous to Ohio's wellbeing. Other countries like Ontario are also ready to take them on.

Since I have a mission to conquer Michigan, I immediately declare war on them.

Here are the wars that were going on as of 18 October:

I recruit my President as a geneal. With 3 Fire, 1 Shock, and 2 Mauever, plus the fact that I outnumber Michigan 5,000 to 2,000, he should do very well against them.

New Jersey offers me an alliance, which should be a good help against new York:

...or not...

I get a good stability event in the middle of the war.

Due to the magistrates I get due to unknown trade goods, i'm able to make a lot of cultural decisions.

Washington D.C., who just conquered Maryland, offers me an alliance. Now this one should last.

I would explain everything that happened in the war, but I'll sum it up very shortly: Minnesota joined on their side, but they didn't border Michigan and weren't the leader, so it didn't matter. I conquered everything via blanket siege and annexed them.

Here's the map of North America after I annexed Michigan:

As an Ohioan, I must take a degree of malicious glee at Michigan's destruction. Nyehehehehe...

Chapter 2- Another war

After my successful war against arch-rival Michigan, I get another mission on Kentucky.

However, the war that ensues involves a lot more people than just Kentucky.

Virginia also declares war on Kentucky, and takes one of their provinces.:angry:
5xszl0.png

Missouri decides to join the fun as well...
2lc1ekm.png

Virginia gets an alliance with us.
34rucg1.png

Quebec takes New York down a peg by annexing Vermont.

Pennsylvania also takes New York down a peg by annexing New Jersey. it's really important that new York is contained as much as possible.

The mighty Ohioan army takes out Missouri at Pennyrille. I try to march there with another army that was in Kentucky, but it doesn't work.

Indiana finally shows up, and sneaks in a successful siege of Ohio.

Here's what ensues from then:
-Virginia takes Pennyrile and Cumberland in a peace deal. I annex what's left of Kentucky.
-Due to this barrier from Missouri, I'm able to take over Indiana, annex them, and then take over Missouri and vassalize them.
-I would've marched to Florida and vassalized them, but their lands cost more than 100 warscore, so I can't do it.

Meanwhile, Massachusetts takes Connecticut, again containing New York.

Here's my empire at the end of Chapter 2:

EDIT: The above is before the vassalization of Missouri. Sorry 'bout that.

Last edited:
Chapter 3- Yet another war

My next mission is to accumulate money. I hate this mission, so I max out minting until I achieve it. What follows is a seemingly endless spamming of missions (an extremely annoying bug in the mod), like efect_title, abourt_title, etc.

I get a Master of the Mint advisor to help my economy a bit.

Virginia is having some problems, yet somehow they end up getting peace without losing anything.

I then get "Attack Wisconsin", maybe the worst mission in the game. It basically commands you to attack someone without a cassus belli, with the promise of then getting a cassus belli. Brilliant. Missions are super-important in this mod however, so I bite the bullet.

The war then turns into a near suicide mission.

I get an alliance offer from Manitoba (who has vassalized Minnesota, btw). however, they won't join the war. And I don't blame 'em.

My only viable strategy is letting the AI screw up and taking advantage of it. However, the AI screws up a lot, so this strategy isn't all too unviable.

However, this strategy is only viable for so long, as my enemies lay siege to all of my land. However, because Missouri and I were sieging Wisconsin at the same time, I'm able to get away with concession of defeat.

Chapter 4- A mistakenly taken loan and more AI stupidity

Tennessee wins a war against South Carolina. Also, I apparently miss an alliance offer from Quebec...

I then forget about the added cost of newly recruited cavalry, and mistakenly took a loan in December.

Pennsylvania declares war on New York. Somewhere along the line, Quebec also goes to war against new York.

New York offers me an alliance, which I accept. If they tell me to break my truce with Pennsylvania however, not only will I dishonor the alliance, but I will then proceed to attack New York without a Cassus Belli in protest.

The mission generator then likes me all of a sudden due to this threat, and lets me lose 1 inflation when I repay my loan. Awesome!

What follows in succession are three of the most epic AI fails of all time. These 3 fails happened within 5 weeks of each other.
Epic Fail #1: By the time this assault is done, the end of the month will occur, meaning that the New York army will be able to stomp on them.

Epic Fail #2: The Quebec army will leave before the New York army arrives. The main Quebec army never stopped moving, and the second one never stopped sieging.

Epic Fail #3: Just for good measure, Quebec never learns from its past from just 5 weeks ago, and assaults a New York province while the same New York army is marching there, ready to mop up the ruins of the Quebec army.

Out of fear, New York heeds my previous warning, and calls me in against everyone except Pennsylvania

After getting Gov't tech 4, I get National Bank.

I get an awesome event centered around my Master of the Mint. This event, National Bank, and my master of the Mint equate to -.3 inflation reduction without minting.

Due to my temporary increasing of minting, I am able to repay the loan when it comes due on December.

I have now caught up with my realtime playing. Here's the North American map in July 1416.

As a reminder, the rule is 20 screenshots per hour, no matter how many updates you put it in. Please don't do it again.

Chapter 5- More epic conquests

Here's our king and our mighty team of advisors in 1416:

I declare war on Wisconsin with the Reconquest Cassus Belli. Here's the war that ensues:

Pennsylvania messes up the same way Quebec did last part, and they pay the price.

New York calls us to war with Rhode Island, a call which i accept.

Pennsylvania is too big to annex, so I originally plan to just make them release New Jersey and then annex them in the next war.

Meanwhile, I get the single best event in the game.

What ends up happening is:
-New York declares war on Pennsylvania
-I get my sieging army out of New Jersey
-New York sieges New Jersey, and takes it in a peace deal
-I then annex Pennsylvania

I then end with fighting with Wisconsin, and take two provinces to connect my lands to that of my vassals, to end my dependence on military access.

It's too bad that Oklahoma wasn't successful... :(

Good job, by the way!

As yet another Ohio native (and current resident of Detroit), I full support this AAR. But you should move your capital to the real Ohio; that is right, the one and only Western Reserve, CLEVELAND!

As yet another Ohio native (and current resident of Detroit), I full support this AAR. But you should move your capital to the real Ohio; that is right, the one and only Western Reserve, CLEVELAND!

Now there is an idea that I as a native Clevelander can really get behind

As a near Clevelander, I can but agree. :)

Yaay Colorado! :D

Oh, and Ohio too. :) Nice that you knocked Wisconsin down a notch -- now you have staying power to take you all the way, hopefully.

How much of a challenge are those Canadian states? Do they have very much population, compared to the US states?

Rensslaer

Yaay Colorado! :D

Oh, and Ohio too. :) Nice that you knocked Wisconsin down a notch -- now you have staying power to take you all the way, hopefully.

How much of a challenge are those Canadian states? Do they have very much population, compared to the US states?

Rensslaer
They are definitely credible threats, and their populations are about equal with US states (at least in Ontario compared to mine).