• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I did it! I read the whole thing! Whew, that was incredible!

I am very excited to see the ending, having gone from the very start all the way up to the climax over the last few days.

Definitely one of, if not the, best AARs on the forum. Incredible longevity, fascinating concept, great writing and characterization, and tons of naval... ahem. Attention to detail.

Cannot wait to see the final few entries.

loki100 - I thought the shift in perspective and voice would give additional urgency - sort of a flashing neon sign saying, 'This is it!'

Hey, what nation wouldn't want an earthquake machine, even if it is erratic? The boys at OSS (or whatever they are called in 1905) would happily conclude that if they just fired it often enough they'd be bound to figure it out. So what if a few minor towns like London and Los Angeles get wrecked? It's for national defense, isn't it? The same sort of spirit that led to A-bomb tests aboveground, or dosing unsuspecting citizens with syphillis. Your Government knows best! (Sorry - sarcasm off now).

I couldn't possibly comment on the future of characters, in large part because they often take over the story and go their own way, except to say it doesn't look good for anyone.

J. Passepartout - allow me to recommend one of the original great ideas of the genre - H Beam Piper's 'Paratime Police' series culminating with 'Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen'. Piper may not have been the first to think of a cross-timeline police force but he did the idea great justice. My Knights' dependence on other lines for resources, ideas and trade is directly taken from Piper. Hey, if you have to steal - steal from the best.

Stuyvesant - the shift in tone and person is intended to convey a sense of accelleration in the narrative. I do intend to keep that up to the end.

WC Fields as a grinning, empty-eyed assassin appeals to me. I always thought that behind his humor was a lot of rage. Now we know it was Fields in the Lobby with the Poker.

Lord Durham - thank you, Bruce. I did make the shift to first person deliberately, in part because I wanted it to feel as though things were coming into a more immediate focus, and partly just on gut instinct - it felt right. There is another reason that I cannot yet disclose. You know I have a habit of imagining certain scenes and then writing for long periods to set them up... the ending for this one I had before I started writing it, and the clue is in the title.

As I said above, I drew inspiration from H Beam Piper's 'Paratime Police' series. In his day Piper was as accomplished as anyone - even the Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke and Heinlein quadrumvirate. Sadly he committed suicide over financial matters, not knowing the paychecks for several books and stories would arrive only days later. 'Little Fuzzy' (and the two sequels) are terrific ruminations on what it means to be sapient, while 'Space Viking' hides a good bit of historical perspective and theorizing about government and governability behind a grand space-opera. 'Lord Kalvan' is one of the original 'going back in time' stories and is marvellously well-done; Beam Piper was a weapons expert and collector who knew how things worked and were used. That's far too much on that topic...

TheExecuter - well played. After seventy years of holding back and waiting for the right moment, our heroes have finally decided they can wait no longer - the right moment will never come.

etranger01 - You read the whole thing! Even I haven't done that! :laugh:

I am glad you have enjoyed it - I certainly had fun writing it (and researching for it, but that's a different story).

Yes, my fascination with naval history and design occasionally gets the better of me. I thank my poor, suffering readers for indulging my whims. :)

Be sure to stick around for the exciting conclusion!

Now we know it was Fields in the Lobby with the Poker.

Groan. :p

... the ending for this one I had before I started writing it, and the clue is in the title.

Yeah, and that's why I thought Anne would survive, seeing as she was the only American in the party, but I was wrong about that, so clearly I'm missing the clue. :)

Anyway, as long as Frost and Messoune end up dead, I'll consider Makhearne and Ronsend as acceptable collateral damage, if that proves necessary. Oh, and Tesla. Is he dead yet? Since his weapon works, I think the world would be a better place without that knowledge floating about - either in the form of the weapon, or the knowledge in his brain...

Lord Durham - thank you, Bruce. I did make the shift to first person deliberately, in part because I wanted it to feel as though things were coming into a more immediate focus, and partly just on gut instinct - it felt right. There is another reason that I cannot yet disclose. You know I have a habit of imagining certain scenes and then writing for long periods to set them up... the ending for this one I had before I started writing it, and the clue is in the title.

As I said above, I drew inspiration from H Beam Piper's 'Paratime Police' series. In his day Piper was as accomplished as anyone - even the Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke and Heinlein quadrumvirate. Sadly he committed suicide over financial matters, not knowing the paychecks for several books and stories would arrive only days later. 'Little Fuzzy' (and the two sequels) are terrific ruminations on what it means to be sapient, while 'Space Viking' hides a good bit of historical perspective and theorizing about government and governability behind a grand space-opera. 'Lord Kalvan' is one of the original 'going back in time' stories and is marvellously well-done; Beam Piper was a weapons expert and collector who knew how things worked and were used. That's far too much on that topic...

Yeah, Piper is one of the grand masters when it comes to SF. I was never a fan of the Fuzzy series, but loved his Federation and Paratime books. Simon Hawke wrote a series of Time Wars books, the first being The Ivanhoe Gambit. There was another author, Larry Maddock, who wrote a series of books that were essentially homages to the old Man From UNCLE show. The series title was Agents of TERRA and featured a time-traveling secret agent and his alien sidekick. I think I still have a couple of those. And in the shameless plug category, I sold a story to Paradox: The Magazine of Historical and Speculative Fiction a few years back called Marathon, whose hero is a Time Scribe sent to witness and record the famous battle, but inadvertently becomes involved.

I remember that Simon Hawke series. I thought the first one was good but the quality 'tailed off' rapidly as the series went on.

Off now to read 'The Case of the Galloway Eidolon'.

I remember that Simon Hawke series. I thought the first one was good but the quality 'tailed off' rapidly as the series went on.

Off now to read 'The Case of the Galloway Eidolon'.

I hope you enjoy it.

I did! It was nice to see Watson be used outside of his usual characterization. For Doyle, Watson was by nature a foil, and often a foil thick enough to be used for armor plate.

Here's a thought: if Sherlock Holmes is a sort of logical, ratiocinating magician, then - like many good magic acts - does he need the assistance of an audience member who is actually a plant? Watson is 'one of us' for a particularly Victorian value of 'us', but he is also the magician's assistant. No-one could be that close to Holmes, day after day and month after month, and not pick up some knowledge of how the tricks were done. And yet Watson is always amazed, always on the side of the audience...

If he really was that unobservant then the good doctor would have killed a lot of patients.

Good point. Perhaps he was always amazed so he could feed Holmes' ego, or perhaps he was continually impressed with Holmes' swift power of deduction. Maybe it was encouragement so Holmes wouldn't fall into drug usage. Or maybe he was a plant :) I don't know if you watched House when it was running, but the basic premise was a play on the Holmes/Watson duo, right down to the last name initials. Holmes/House and Watson/Wilson. House was the brilliant doctor and Wilson his foil.

If you get a chance, read The Crane Horror. It's historical Lovecraft, and takes place around 1796 in the newly established town of York, Upper Canada (Toronto). People at one particular awards site were foolish enough to award it best Horror short story in 2011.

Doesn't Holmes always complain that Watson exaggerates things in what he publishes? I always thought that Watson was withholding interesting plot points to display them at the most dramatic time, even if he was aware of the plot points earlier on.

Doesn't Holmes always complain that Watson exaggerates things in what he publishes? I always thought that Watson was withholding interesting plot points to display them at the most dramatic time, even if he was aware of the plot points earlier on.

The extend of Watson's patent stupidity in the stories is one of the things that put me off the Holmes books (that and I rarely enjoy tales where the main character is invincible and all knowing).

I wonder if a better template for our intrepid heroes here is Boswell and Johnson ... we now know that one has borne the main literary burden :ninja:

There was some significant variation in the Holmes stories, but overall I liked them. The Challenger books started off being decent and then Doyle got into his spiritualism kick which caused a major decline in writing quality.

If we're going to go with Johnson and Boswell, they both were literary chaps, so to see which Knight matches which Briton, we should check on which has Tourette's syndrome. ;)

I read a few Sherlock Holmes shorts and I had a hard time getting past the fact that Holmes is so patently full of himself - but I have always liked House and did like the one Sherlock episode that I saw, so I guess it's not so much the characterization per se, as the delivery of it. :)

After that, y'alls (hey! I live in the South now! I'm entitled to use helpful parts of the vernacular!) discussion veered off into utterly unknown territories to me: Johnson and Boswell? All those classic SF authors? I'm well out of my depths there. But it's nice to see you all having a nice time. ;)

We ran through the dark and quiet streets, avoiding the pools of light cast by the streetlights and the drifts where snow was beginning to gather – tiny mounds, but treacherous to running feet; anything from ice to spikes could lie beneath. At the outskirts we turned north and jogged down a farming lane to a copse of trees; using them for cover we moved north-east until the asylum was to our south. Like the town, the countryside was quiet and dark – darker by far, and the solitude imposed by the drifting snow broken only by an occasional barking dog.

We crouched in the lee of trees that bordered the back of a farmer’s lot; they and the bushes that grew between them had fulfilled their purpose as a windbreak and the snow was piled high enough there to hide more than two men laying prone. On an ordinary fall night the farmer might have been out of doors or at least looked out, come out to confront the intruders with his rifle. But tonight it seemed everyone was snugly burrowed into their houses, nested around fireplaces or curled up under thick blankets: even the animals were quiet, eyes blinded and noses dulled by the snow. Before us, the ground rose in easy stages to the hulking monstrosity at the top of the hill, and there looked to be enough cover for us to safely make an approach. I worried about footprints, but Makhearne thought the drifting flakes would cover our tracks quickly enough. Better, he said, to open all our senses, for Frost might have laid sensors, and possibly traps, though he though not. The risk of an innocent person stumbling onto a grenade or a robogun would make her cautious of deploying them, and the finding of a single piece of advanced technology would point immediately to her location. The interior of the building would be a different matter and potentially a far more dangerous one. We would have to go and see, and take what came.

My thought was to zig to the left and ascend the northeastern path; Makhearne favored splitting up, and taking the northwestern route for himself. Seeing that he was obdurate, I agreed, and rather than lie in the wet cold any longer we set out. Before we quite lost sight of each other I messaged him. “Why the cold and the snow this early in the year?”

Quiet,” was all I received in return; he vanished behind the floating snowflakes and merged into the black jumble of the background as though the earth had opened and swallowed him up.

I realize that I am drifting back and forth between the present and the past, but I have decided not to edit this text – at least not too much. If parts appear to be out of sequence, or told from one minute as though they were happening now and in another as if long past – well. I make no apology. These memories are vivid, some sharp and cruel, my senses still closely engaged. I shall tell the story as I like and leave this for you to find, you whom I do not know in any personal sense but only as an abstraction… enough digression. Painful as it is, I must resume.

Up that hill I went, taking advantage of every scrap of cover and straining every sense I possessed. If there were detection devices they would be as hindered by the night and the snow as I, unless they were sensitive to body heat. Such a passive sensor would not have much range tonight, not with the interference of the snow. And I doubted their placement in any case: the local farmers let their livestock graze on the hill, and neither Frost nor Messoune struck me as having patience with false alarms. The building, as I approached it, seemed fortress enough to defend its secrets by strength of masonry alone. All of the windows on the lower floor were tightly shuttered or had been bricked up, and the doors appeared to be chained and locked. I say appeared; I was confident that Frost and her people had some way in and out, perhaps through the main doors on the other side of the building or through some other, unseen portal – and I was equally certain that detection devices would protect that path completely. As for the chains and locks, I could not risk detection by trying them, so only one way remained: to go up.

asylum_zps7b0ac11c.jpg

Climbing that vertical wall of rough brick and stone would be… interesting, with proper equipment and in the daylight. In the cold and dark, with surfaces wet and icing over, it was an unattractive prospect, but unless I could find an alternative that was what I was going to have to try. The building formed a U with the open end facing south down the slope we had ascended. Makhearne had gone to what would be the top of the left arm of the U and I was now at the top of the right. A quick look at the outside wall showed nothing useful but along the inside wall, the one fronting on a scrubby untended courtyard, were drainpipes. Securely-fastened, cast-iron drainpipes, whose flanges and brackets I could use as finger and toe-holds. A second-floor window opened to let me into what might have been a large office or a small classroom, or served some other function entirely – there was no clue from its present condition, stripped to bare walls and varnished wooden floor. I eased the door open and slid out into the hall.

Like the room, the hall was silent and cold and empty. Unlike the room, the floor had been mopped or swept at some point in the recent past; there was little or no dust upon it and no visible footprints. I made a slow and cautious way to the staircase at the elbow joining the main building to the wings, testing every step for planks that might creak or groan. From the intersection I could see down the hallway that formed the bottom of the U, but it was also apparently deserted. What might lie behind the rows of doors I could not say but I sensed no light, no warmth, and no noise. I decided to go up the stairs first, not because I believed the attic of harboring Frost and Messoune but only because I wanted to eliminate the possibility and avoid a later surprise.

At the top of the stairs was a landing and a door – locked. It was the work of a moment to jimmy it open and I needed only seconds to see that it held nothing for me. True, there were footprints on the dusty floor, but the imprints themselves were dusty. No-one had been here recently, and that was all that I needed to know tonight. I closed it up – carefully, silently – and made my way back down the staircase. To my surprise, one of the rooms along the main hall now showed a light beneath the door. I ghosted along the corridor to the wall on the hinged side of the door and was just preparing to press my earbud to the door when it opened and a slim figure stepped out. I swapped the stunner into my left hand and dropped her, then pivoted around the door and shot a second woman standing in the room beyond. Hoping no-one had heard the noise of two bodies going down, I went through the little apartment – no more than a pair of rooms – looking around and under the furnishings. There was no-one else there.

I turned down the wick of the oil lamp and seized the first woman’s feet to drag her inside. A flicker of motion gave me a fraction of a second’s warning, and then Messoune was out of the hallway and upon me.

Messoune… Temic Messoune: dandy, rake-hell, assassin, sadist, bon vivant, monster. What I saw was not a man but a grim preview of the thing that lurks inside all of us who have undergone the Brotherhood’s regimen of enhancements. Ceramic plates, metallic devices, clear plastic structures warped and melted, and over and around it all the hard scarred keloid ridges of burned flesh scabbed over twisted mechanisms. In that dim apartment the horror made my own flesh creep, not least because of my revulsion at what my own body contained.

He leaps – I roll, only a fraction of an inch, but it is enough to spoil his grapple. There is no time for the anger, the hatred I feel surging up: as we are augmented, so too are our glands enhanced but they react at far less than electronic speeds. He lands instead on the unconscious woman and flips himself head over heels, slams into a wall and staggers. I bounce up and whip out with my foot, catching him in the plate over his kidney and throwing him backward over the bed. I advance, ducking and dodging as his powerful arm hurls anything it can find at a hundred miles an hour directly toward my face. Only one connects – a dish or ashtray glances off my cheekbone, giving me a nasty cut and distracting me while he launches himself directly at my throat.

We roll, grapple, fists piston. I have never been a fighter, by nature or training; when martial classes were offered at school I avoided them or did as little as necessary to complete the course. But Messoune shows no more skill tonight than I, or perhaps no interest in using anything but hands, nails, teeth… it is an instinctual, animal assault. As we roll his hands find my throat and he begins to squeeze. From the corner of my vision I see a post – the foot of the bedstead – and instead of going for his throat in turn I grab his long, dark hair in one hand and slam his head against the metal. It rings – he growls – howls – my sight darkens but I put all my strength into my arm and hand, ramming metalloid skull against the iron bedframe again, again, again… Something bestial flares in his eyes and he panics, swipes with a knee at my testicles and rolls away. I reach for him – miss – and he is gone. I clutch at myself for a moment before willing the pain away, for there is no time.

If they didn’t know we were here before, they know it now.

The combat was tense, believable and evenly matched. And now Messoune has slipped away. Oh dear.

Since Ronsend's and Makhearne's cover has been blown, now would seem to be a good time to break radio silence and start blowing stuff up - if for no other reason than to alert the Germans to Frost's hideout.

loki already mentioned the deliberate pace at first which then explodes into action as Temic flies onto the scene. Another thing I really liked was the sequence of a) describing in detail how hard to climb the outer wall would be, b) describing the drain pipes that could be used to gain entry, and c) Ronsend easing himself through the window on the second floor. You completely skipped the actual climbing and I found the effect most pleasing. :)

So...Ronsend is the distraction...nice.

Interesting also that we get hints of not seeing Makhearne again...and also hints that Ronsend remains trapped in...something...but that he still senses 'someone' or 'something' will find his recording...

Perhaps there is not a special providence for Knights Temporal...

Funny how everyone is gravitating to the same thing, the pacing, here. The entrance and the fight are equally tense, although the entrance must have taken some time, and the fight must have been over in the amount of time it would have taken our hero to get from the word Messoune to the word monster, if speaking aloud. And the reason for winning the fight is Messoune's age old flaw, the triumph of passion over thought. I also want to comment on the physical alterations and the nature of the reception of the narrative along with loki and TheExecutor, but I feel like I am repeating what others have said even before getting to this.

So...Ronsend is the distraction...nice.

Perhaps there is not a special providence for Knights Temporal...

That is a rather cynical thought, but then again, Makhearne is known as 'The Axe' and didn't he bring down that asteroid on Europe in another timeline? The man is certainly not above playing dirty if the stakes are high enough.

I'm starting to think your closing remark might be true: even if Ronsend lives to tell the tale, it looks like this will end up as a Pyrrhic victory.

Well, any comments I had on pacing were covered by others, so all I can say is great post! And nice cliffhanger...

My apologies to all. I've been house-hunting in Pennsylvania. In the process I've looked at bad housing in four towns, had my luggage destroyed, my flight first delayed 6 hours and then cancelled, sat next to a family with a screaming child and a barking dog the entire time (during the delay AND the flight) and then had the airline lose my (brand new replacement) bag.

Based on my present temper, the next update should be posted tomorrow. It may be savage, but it could be theraputic.

Full feedback to your comments tomorrow. Tonight I just want to smash things. Wheeeeee!