• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This work is heavily based on that of an artist whose name eludes me (thanks to the SA paywall) who made the original for Wiz's Azerbaijan mega-campaign - I will credit the original artist if I have access again

I believe the original artist was by the name of DarkCrawler.

Well that was a wild ride. To rise high enough to hold all of Iberia, only to lose much of it and then deal with the mess. Twice in succession. Too much to really describe at 2 am. Shame that Hispania would just not stay in one piece. But that's part of the fun for the future.

Only got round to reading this AAR now, and wow, that was a wild ride, to first take a separate branch after the loss of the main line and just try to bring yourself back from the brink. I assume that the papacy really wanted their man in and that's a HIP mechanic? Also, it's impressive that the de Castellons (a whole other dynasty) managed to keep it all together and hold a claim long enough to then push again. :p

Can't wait for the continuation, and am wondering if you'll be modding anything for this AAR specifically for the one empire.

I don't really know if it is a HIP mechanic or not, but i've never seen Papal antikings before, will have to look further into it
I will be modding this game specifically to add some event, mostly for the early and late game. However if anything else comes up I will always add more events or decisions based on the events that occur.

I believe the original artist was by the name of DarkCrawler.
Thank you!

The Golden Bull of 1356

In 1354 a revolt began in the Holy Roman Empire, led by the Grand Duke of Franconia with the popular support of many of the North German and Polish Princes within the Empire. The war was initially one to limit the power of the Holy Roman Empire, however over time as the movement gained popular support it turned into a movement that would change the very framework of the Empire itself.

Following the victory of Duke Welf II of Franconia over Kaiser Adalbert II, the victors stated their terms. They demanded a greater limit to the power of the Emperor to prevent further abuse of power. However other princes within the Empire demanded further reforms to end ongoing issues within the Empire. And so the Emperor called the Diet of Wurzburg to evaluate and find a solution to these grievances.

Golden_Bull_Metz_1356.jpg

The Diets main issue was the power of the Emperor. Despite opposition from many of the Emperor’s closest subjects, the Power of the Emperor was severely diminished. No longer did the title holder have to authority to draw tax directly from the princes. The hiring of levies from Imperial subjects was also strictly limited to the Imperial demesne.

As a compromise between the Emperor and his subjects for the severe limitations placed on the title, the Electors within the Empire were limited to seven, three ecclesiastical, four secular. These electors would be:
  • The Archbishopric of Mainz
  • The Archbishopric of Trier
  • The Archbishopric of Cologne
  • The Duchy of Franconia
  • The County Palatine of the Rhine
  • The Margraviate of Austria
  • The Kingdom of Denmark
The electors would assemble in Frankfurt, the Imperial capital to discuss the election and cast their vote. The elections were to be concluded in thirty days. However if this date was not met, the electors would receive only bread and water until they decided. Papal authority over the election of the emperor was virtually non-existent and the bull marked a considerable move away from Papal intervention within the Empire.

m19169.jpg

One outstanding issue within the Empire however was the status of the Kingdom of Poland. For centuries, the Polish regions had remained within the Empire with little tolerance of its leaders. Whereas in previous generations an independent Catholic Polish Kingdom had existed, until it was brought down by Pagan revolt. With Polish princes lending their popular support to the rebellion, the matter turned to the status of the Kingdom. Polish princes wanted to create a newly independent Kingdom with Władysław of Mazovia as its King. Yet the Emperor was not willing to let the territory go.

After an arduous debate, a middle ground was settled upon. The Kingdom of Poland would receive nominal independence from the Empire, however Silesia would remain within the Empire, as much of the land in the area was held by German nobles who opposed independence. Waldemar Von Main would be appointed King of Poland until his death, however future Kings of Poland would be elected by the Sejm. This body would elect the next King from a line of candidates throughout Europe. However many of the candidates would be from within the Empire itself. As the Sejm was so large, with around 10-13,000 voters, the election could take far longer than that of the Holy Roman Empire. However such procedure was required to gain the widespread support of the Polish nobility within the Kingdom.

Potega_Rzeczypospolitej_u_zenitu_Zlota_wolnosc_Elekcja_1573.JPG

The agreement was finalised in late 1356 and named the Golden Bull after the seal it bore. The creation of the Bull did a great deal to raise popular support throughout the Empire for Adalbert II, who became known as ‘the wise’ for his actions in stabilizing the Empire. The electors continued to support the Adalbert, the King of Denmark in his reign as Emperor for some time.

Last edited:
Reactions:
so glad that something like that did not occur in Spain

A scandinavian-led HRE is bound to be interesting! I'm eager to see the EUIV HRE mapmode already :)

Oh, I think there might be a small typo? You said that "a middle group was settled upon". Maybe you meant a middle ground?

Fixed the typo... I'm also interested in the Danish led HRE, could make Denmark question itself in later generations, is it a Scandinavian kingdom or will it give in to its German influences?
In terms of the map, ask and you shall receive...
wStIlBh.jpg

I am considering making a decision for Pomerania to potentially join the HRE in around 1450ish. Most of the conversion is done, just some religions and cultures to clear up along with adding events. Each province is correct along with their rulers.

Only nowdo I understand why is Austria refered to as a margraviate rather than an archcuchy. That's a tiny Habsburg demesne!
About the polish bit, which has been quite interesting (were there actually so many electors in the P-LCommonwealth? That's madness!

(Very off-topic: Now I notice that, when back in the chat I mentioned "republica" used in old spanish as sinonym to state of society, the actual closest translation would be commonwealth. One could speak of "the commonwealth of all the spanish" without implying a republican form of government).

Sounds great ibicko, that was a very nice wider reading article, cleared up my understanding of the bull itself.

Good luck in the final few tweaks, and looking forward to your EU4 first entry.

Denmark leading the HRE? this will be intresting.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOP, HPE TRAIN RUNNINGON OVERDRIVE.

Great to here ibicko, looking forward to seeing the update.

All the best and look forward to whats in store.

It's not England it's Aquitaine who I also had break off for the conversion
Sardinia and Corsica are their own realms, mainly to limit Lombardy's expansion, considering how powerful Milan is in base M&T. Even with their losses they are still one of the most powerful countries in the game and will make a good future rival.

I think the Fadlid Caliphate will be a more than respectable rival