• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's the first of a few wider reading articles I aim to do as stated in the FAQ. I'm looking to use them to add depth and develop major foreign events that otherwise wouldn't be covered from a Spanish perspective.
Silly me for not reading it to the end haha-thanks

Cool to here, I saw you check out marco's AAR, I'm sure he'll appreciate another subber, he did get me some good M+T start screenies if you want access to those, feel free to mention if do.

Looking forward to this grand campaign, and gl on your next entry.

P.S any plans for a modded Vic 2
P.P.S are you going into HOI also, or stop at end of Vic 2?

Sure ill take a look
As for Victoria 2 i will definitely be using a mod, potentially Pops of Darkness or Historical Project Mod. I may even consider using blobs of darkness, but there is a long time until i get there.
As for HOI I was originally going to use Hoi 4 but as the release date for the games looks to be going the way of Half Life 3, i am considering using Darkest Hour if i get there before it is released, but there is a long time before we get there anyway!

Muño I King of Leon and Asturias

The nobility saw little in Muño at the start of his reign. Many speculate he was only elected as king as their was no viable alternative at the time. However Muño proved himself very different from the kings of old, at least at the start of his reign.

His father Guillén had declared war upon the Nasr Sultanate a year before his death, to capture Alcántara. Spanish forces were already besieging the city when Muño came to the throne. Despite his opposition to the war, to send his soldiers home now with no glory would be foolish. Instead he allowed the conquest to continue. However the king issued a series of declarations, forbidding any member of the Spanish army from looting or confiscating any property owned by any men of any faith from the city. After the fall of the city however, it is unlikely that any of the declarations were upheld by the men of the Spanish army, solely focused on the spoils of war.

After completing his fathers campaign for Alcántara, Muño looked to befriend the Moorish Nasr Sultante, rather than to complete the reconquista. As a man of faith, Muño expressed a desire for a peaceful coexistence between the peoples of Leon and the Sultanate. Negotiations took their time, especially considering Muño's active part in the conquest of Alcántara, yet the diplomatic skills of the monarch prevailed and after many years of negotiation, Muño signed the Treaty of Seville. The treaty guaranteed a perpetual peace between the peoples of the two kingdoms, along with open access to the markets of each country.

KJKx1IZ.jpg

The Sultan greets catholic merchants in Qurṭubah

For the first time in history, Spanish merchants could trade in Muslim held Qurṭubah, and Muslim merchants could trade in Spanish held Porto. Although many new travelling merchants experienced much prejudice in the new lands, particularly Muslim merchants travelling to Porto, the treaty was beneficial to the merchants of both states, and many merchants became valued members of society in each kingdom. Although there was initial opposition by the nobility to Muño's diplomacy, as time passed resistance diminished as greater trade ties between the two nations saw an era of prosperity for the petty barrons and dukes alike. Precious silk and other luxury goods flowed into Porto, enriching both kingdoms. For years the two kingdoms that seemed polar opposites, destined to be hated rivals, finally found peace. It seemed there was a place for Catholics and Muslims to coexist.

Mlyo87F.jpg

Riots erupt in Porto following the declaration of war

However upon the death of Sultan, Abbas Nasr ascended to the throne of the Nasr Sultanate, and the peace was broken. Hoards of mujahideen swarmed into Leon, laying siege to the city of Toledo. Riots erupted in Porto following the declaration of war, peasant folk slaughtered foreign merchants who simply wanted to make a living, their heads placed on spikes above the city gate. As fire engulfed the city, anyone believed to be co-operating with the infidel was killed, regardless of faith or culture. Following the declaration of war, Muño spent days in the chapel of the Castillo de la santa praying to god. Legend states he asked god why war broke out, why the Muslim armies attacked despite his peaceful intentions. Four days later he is alleged to have emerged reinvigorated and zealous about defeating the Nasr infidels and wiping them from Hispania. The ensuing campaign was bloody, however Muño blessed with the word of god defeated the Moors at the battle of Madrid. The Leonese pursuit led to the battle of Alcalá de Henares, where sultan Abbas Nasr was slain. The defeat of the Moorish sultan was a shock that fragmented the sultanate. The ensuing crisis resulted in a bitter civil war known as the War of the Six Sultans.

8AorGL6.jpg
ddWKoQ5.jpg
Muño's victory was swift and decisive. The ensuing peace saw Muño gain Ribatejo and Lisbon from the Nasr Sultanate. Following his victory Muño dedicated the rest of his life back to god. Following in the footsteps of Odoario II, Muño set off on pilgrimage to the city of Rome. As word of his victory and the treachery of the Nasr Sultan had reverberated around europe, Muño was given a heroes welcome into the city, seen personally at the gate to the city by the pope himself who anointed him Fidei defensor, Defender of the faith. Despite his warm welcome, Muño was determined to complete his pilgrimage alone. Many manuscripts from the time talk of tales of the Spanish king dressed in plain garments wandering the city, donating his wealth to the beggars and peasantry within the city. Following his departure and return to Leon, Muño also completed many theological works still kept in the Imperial library of Leon. After just under 30 years on the throne, Muño passed away peacefully in his bed. Following his death his subjects elected his son Guillén as King of Leon and Asturias.

clovis_main.jpg
XKvuTxj.jpg

Upon his death Muño became a patron saint of Asturias and Spain

Last edited:
Reactions:
Very nice update, wish you well towards the reign of gullien.

I'll send those pictures to you as a private message, so as not to confuse the flow of this piece, good luck, and all towards a unified hispania, btw, how much of the Iberian peninsula you manage now then?

Great HIP AAR, always nice to see a Spanish country do well in 867. Well written and descriptive, keep up the good work.

Guillén II King of Leon and Asturias

The reign of Guillén II began normal enough. Guillén came to the throne aged 35, popular throughout the realm due to his fathers legacy. Guillén's first act as king was the creation of the Republic of Lisboa. His father Muño had for a long time grown rich of imports from Andalusia and Africa. Rich and vibrant silks flowed into Porto daily. As such, the Republic was Guillén's attempt to stimulate growth and economic activity throughout the western provinces. Upon the creation of the republic, many powerful Andalusian families looked to make a name for themselves within the city. Guillén allowed the merchants to operate and run for control of the republic, on the condition they swear fealty to the crown and convert to Catholicism. Overwhelmingly the merchant families agreed, their role in the republic would be of huge economic benefit to Leon-Asturias. The republic was a commercial success from the outset, establishing trade routes from the Kingdom of Wessex to Alexandria. The Ribatejo banner was seen throughout Mediterranean and Atlantic trading posts, bringing with it spices and silks from lands afar. The king would reap the profits of his scheme in due course. The republic also remains an integral part of the Spanish realm to this day under the wise counsel of Guzmán I.

ibr8jUJP8ZGeRQ.jpg

The Portuguese merchant fleet sail to Constantinople

News also reached Leon of the conversion of the Magyar king to the Christian faith. The former pagan bowed down to the authority of the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople. Although not a true Christian, the King of Hungary is in a much better position than his pagan ancestors. It was time to accept the Hungarians of the Carpaths into civilised society.

GSp78DE.jpg
5Ogcfvx.jpg

However Guillén's reign took a sharp turn for the worst in the winter of 979. The King's mind was not his own. The king's ill mind damaged his reputation throughout the country, as many dukes began to outright defy the monarch. Arias of Castilla and Igor of Galicia began to take ever greater liberties in terms of their rights. The misrule of Guillén culminated in the a Muslim uprising in Alcántara. The local bandit swore fealty to Galind Nasr, current leader of the war of the Six Sultans. Despite calls from the nobility to intervene, Guillén stood back and watched dumbfounded.

As time passed the king's condition worsened. Around 981, records show him gallivanting around the Castillo de la santa, wearing his shoes as a helmet and charging the chamber maids, who he referred to as ' those dirty moors'. Others talk of him complaining endlessly about his wife's long black beard. None wished to point out the person Guillén was describing was actually Court-Chaplin Gonzalo. The court physician eventually declared Guillén stark raving mad, and 3 years later, the king was found dead, believed to have jumped from a tower, pretending to be a bird. However other reports suggest he was pushed by schemers looking to protect the interests of the realm. Key culprits would likely be Garcia of Cuenca and Queen Heledd.

Following the death of the mad king, his son Muño was elected as King of Leon and Asturias, promising to reverse the misrule of his father and bring a new age of prosperity to the Kingdom.
WVMvkn6.jpg

Last edited:
Shame, this monarch had such promise.

How goes the kingdom though, is the realm intact, or has it collapsed due to the insanity?

Looking forward to the next update, and to see what lands you have acquired in this time, good luck and looking forward to the next reign.

Nooooooooooo

We'll love you and cherish you if we get our wonderful closer, then a aside showcasing the events of the era from a different perspective.

Good luck and anticipating a grand conclusive part to chapter 1 after this, btw what is to be the focus of chapter 2 :p attack the blob? Italian smashing?

Nooooooooooo

We'll love you and cherish you if we get our wonderful closer, then a aside showcasing the events of the era from a different perspective.

Good luck and anticipating a grand conclusive part to chapter 1 after this, btw what is to be the focus of chapter 2 :p attack the blob? Italian smashing?

....I'll consider it....
As for chapter 2, it doesn't really have a focus, but it is evident why it is a separate chapter. If i had to give it a focus it would probably be the diplomacy chapter
Chapter 3 however has a definitive focus, as will be evident by its name....

Muño II King of Leon and Asturias

Muño II was elected King following the suspicious death of his father. The misrule of Guillén II had cost the realm and led to the rise of Arias de Castilla, who held both the Duchy of Castilla and Portucale, giving him two votes in the monarchical elections. The strength of such an over-mighty noble could have easily have swung the balance of power away from the House of de Cantabria, if not for the wise rule of Muño II. Accounts from the event of his election were recorded by Rodrigo, Chancellor of Leon.

The atmosphere of the election could be carved with a knife. The meeting in the Castillo de la santa to elect the next king was definitely the closest of them all.
'All hail Gonzalo, Duke of Valencia and rightful claimant to the throne of Leon.' initiated Alfonso, marshal to the so called King. The first claimant to the throne in an election was usually the least popular, outside bet for king.
'Bow down my subjects, for I Gonzalo of Valencia, just ruler of my people, have come to declare myself King of Leon.' The Duke eyed the crowd, although few embraced his speech. 'It was under my lead that the Spanish people entered an era of prosperity in my realm. Shaking off the Islamic past and embracing the love of our Cantabrian line. But I offer you change, a new era. Under my just rule Spain will flourish and the era of arbitrary monarchs shall be over!' Very few chanted Gonzalo's name following his empowering speech. Not since Guillén I had the first speaker been elected King of Leon. The trend looked to continue based on the less than enthusiastic response of the audience.
'The line of Cantabria is cursed!' Arias was heard bellowing as the other nobles listened to each candidates speech. 'Yes, for some time now they have ruled us justly and proved their might against the Infidel. But their time is up. If the madness of our past king is anything to go by, his son is sure to have inherited the sins of the father. Only under my just rule will the Spanish prosper once more!'
'AYE!' cried the Duke of Galicia along with the banner men of the Galician duke and Arias. 'All hail Arias, the first of his name!'
'NAY!' replied Juan of Calatrava. ' The line of Cantabria are the only true kings of Leon. Was it not Alfonso who led us to our first victory over the Moors, Was it not Odoario who broke the Umayyads? And was it not Muño who brought the Nasr dynasty to heel and broke them once and for all on the field of Madrid? I say down with your self interested drivel Arias, Muño is our one true king!
'Long live the King!' bellowed the lesser nobles and Muño's courtiers. Only the Duke of Navarra remained quiet. The balance of power lay with him. All other nobles had declared, 1 vote for Gonzalo, 3 for Arias and 3 for Muño.
The noise of the room rose, a fight looked near to breaking out as the sound of mugs hammered against the wooden tables. Until finally the Duke stood up, the room falling silent in his movement. All eyes looked upon the 60 year old Duke, as he stroked his grey beard.
'Following the arguments presented by both claimants...' the Duke said in a tone bordering on a whisper. ' I declare my support for Muño de Cantab...' the man didn't have to finish his sentence before the room burst into noise. Chants of victory and 'long live the king' filled the hall as Muño approached the throne to the distaste of Arias and his band of lackeys. The court-chaplin placed the crown on his head, and the reign of Muño began.

1340703827_queens-42.jpg

Muño ascends the throne, with the two pretenders either side

Muño was an incredibly ambitious king who sought to further expand the realm and limit the power of the 'old nobility' of Galicia and Castilla-Portucale. Although directly alienating the old nobles, Muño gained much support from the smaller nobility in the likes of Segovia and Toledo, leading to his election as king.

Throughout Guillén's reign the Moorish lands had fortunately still be engulfed in civil war, preventing any further Islamic expansion further than Alcántara. Muño's first action was to recapture the lands lost under Guillén's reign, and conquer further into the Algarve, a move that would give the kingdom greater standing in African trade. The war was swift and decisive, despite Galind's victory in the War of the Six Sultans, the Nasr Sultanate had never fully recovered. Muño wished to create more landed nobility to support his son Fernando to succeed him. The old nobility nominated their own candidate, the Duke of Castilla-Portucale as the next King, a move contrary to the desires of Muño.

Further on in Europe however, times were changing. The crown of France had passed from the Carolingian kings, as with Aquitaine and Italy before it. Herman of Swabia was the last remaining Karling King in Europe and undisputed heir to the Carolingian Empire. After crushing the Cathar heretics of Franconia to gain favour, the Pope crowned Herman Emperor of all the Romans, continuing the legacy of his ancestor Charles the Great before him. The Holy Roman Empire was reborn once again. The event was attended by nobles from all across Europe, dignitaries, chacellors and even the King of Aquitaine was in attendance. A Spanish envoy was sent to the event, Chancellor Juan attended the event baring gifts of precious cloth and spices for the newly crowned Kaiser.

HrVAXvs.png

Gott erhalte Herman den Kaiser!

Despite Muño's best efforts the power of the old nobility could not be broken despite the new landed gentry in Beja and the Algarve. Full blown civil war seemed the only way for Muño to secure the succession. Arias de Castilla was in now way willing to concede his defeat following the election of Muño as king, reports suggest he was raising an army to press his claim by force. As such, the King called his council to decide what to do. Without any prominent allies, the nobility would end the line of de Cantabria and Arias de Castilla would be crowned king.

However upon the advise of his chancellor Juan de Santa Maria, Muño asked the pope to crown him Emperor of all the Spanish, a move that would allow Muño to declare his own succession, along with gaining the recognition of other powerful European kings who could aid against the disgruntled nobility. The recent coronation of Herman placed the idea in the chancellors head. None would dare oppose the might of gods chosen. Besides, Muño's good relations with the pope and the successful crusades against the Moors placed him in good stead to be crowned. By crowining himself Emperor he could ensure his son would retain the crown, regardless of the ambition of some up jumped noble from who knows where.

The ascension of Muño to Emperor of the Spanish began a new age in Hispania, the beginning of an age of powerful absolute monarchs who would not be overruled by their disgruntled subjects.
For the Emperor's might is greater than human, and his arm is very long.

PF3O8OU.jpg

The European state of affairs prior to Muño's ascension as Emperor of all the Spanish

Last edited:
Reactions:
Large enemies brew in the east, but very good grabbing of Iberia.

Where do you plan to go after claiming the peninsula? Looking forward to the diplomatic era.

All to a success, and good luck in the next stages of this road.

Hello readers!
Sorry for the lack of updates, I have some other real world matters i have to deal with for the moment, however i will try to get the final chapter 1 wider reading article out tomorrow.
As for Chapter 2, we are quickly approaching the reign of Guzman I, which means the content in each post will increase. Although that means more content for you guys, it means more work for me, so expect updates to be every 2-3 days rather than every day.
Hope everybody is enjoying the AAR so far, and here's to future success in Chapter 2!

no problem dude, we understand life can get in the way.

looking forward to chapter 2 and general updates.

good luck and we understand the prolonged waiting times if we get more content, and looking forward to wider reading tomorrow if you find time :D.

As I like to say, Real Life and AARS never really mix well, sort out your Real Life problems, I and many others can wait before you return to this AAR.

The War of the Six Sultans
A study in Medieval history by Professor Carlos Madeira of the Imperial University of Èderna

Among many of those unfamiliar Medieval Hispania and the Middle Ages in general, the War of the Six Sultans is seen as the the end of Moorish dominance of the Iberian peninsula. Posted as a war that divided the Muslim nation and allowed the Catholic monarchs of Leon and Asturias to dominate their foes. Among academics however, the war is seen as the final proverbial 'nail in the coffin' of the slow death of Muslim Spain. The Nasr Dynasty was already on its last legs following centuries of misrule and ever increasing liberties taken by Sultan after Sultan. Many Moorish rulers saw the Catholic conquests as a sign of the times. For it is would only be a matter of time, before god would sweep in to avenge the faithful. If only they were more pragmatic, maybe they still would be with us today, anybody can speculate.

The background to the war was that of nearly 20 years of peace between the Muslim and Catholic Kingdoms of Spain, following the Treaty of Seville. The peace saw the economies of both nations flourish for a time, with merchants making a tidy profit from the peace. Sultan Muhammad realised that peace was the only way for the Moors to survive. The true roots of the war begin long before Abbas' declaration of war, and the defeat on the field of Madrid.

The Moors had been unfortunate in their leadership. Lazy, gluttonous and unfaithful, Sultan's had come and gone and not responded to the increasing threat of the Catholic monarchs. Records show little attempt at reform throughout the Muslim realm until it was too late to oppose the Spanish kings. In fact recent evidence shows that centralisation laws and Levy requirements were actually relaxed following the expansion of the Spanish Kingdom. The relaxation is most likely related to the increasing ambitions of the Emirs and subjects of the Sultan, rather than the incompetence of any of the Muslim rulers themselves.

528px-Maler_der_Geschichte_von_Bay%C3%A2d_und_Riy%C3%A2d_002.jpg

The reign of Sultan Muhammad saw a lapse in the decline of Al-Andalus

So a decade of incompetence was finally washed away with a 20 year peace. It is in this time when some actual progress is made within the Muslim realm. New technologies from the north swept into the capital, enhancing both construction mechanisms and the weaponry of the Islamic armies. Toledan steel is of particular import. Renowned throughout the Christian world as the strongest steel, save Damascan, the quality of Muslim weaponry vastly improved. With greater access to Christian lands, Muslim spies were more able to study Christian tactics and battle formations as performed by Royal Guard retinues stationed near main cities. Reform under Muhammad looked as though it could finally turn the tide of the Moorish decline. However unfortunately for the Moors, Muhammad died, to be replaced by his ambitious, foolhardy son Abbas.

The reign of Abbas certainly saw reform in the Muslim realm, particularly in the Muslim army. The economic situation of the Sultanate was also improved upon for a time, as Abbas signed trade deals with Egypt and Tunis. However all this changed upon Abbas' declaration of war. Believing the Christian king to be weak, the Sultan thought he could win a quick war and seize Toledo from under Muño's nose. Abbas sorely underestimated the size of Muño's army. However had he won on the field of Madrid, all could have changed. However he did not and was forced to flee. The loss of the main bulk of his army was not the end for Abbas. Determined to fight on Abbas retreated over the Henares river, believing the Christian armies would not pursue him. 22 miles from the battlefield at Madrid, Abbas set up camp on the hill overlooking the city of Alcalá de Henares. To his surprise in the dead of night, Christian forces assaulted his camp. Abbas' lookouts did not notice the approaching Christian forces until it was too late. The ensuing battle cost the life of Abbas', slain on the battlefield and discarded. The corpse of Abbas is still lost to this day, although the Éderna university is hoping to conduct another investigation into the matter. The battle claiming the life of the Sultan still holds a major place in the history of the Spanish royal family, so much so, that they built a palace in the city to commemorate the battle. The Imperial Palace of Alcalá de Henares features an entire gallery of full wall paintings by Peter Paul Ruben's depicting the life of King Muño and the Muslim war.

The death of Sultan Abbas however was the end of the Nasr Sultanate. With 10 year old Fadl Nasr on the throne, only chaos could rule in Andalusia, and soon enough the claimants began to line up in Qurṭubah one by one, until all hell broke loose. With the pretenders sharpening their blades, the Sultan made a quick humiliating peace with King Muño and set about dealing with the rebels with what was left of the army.

The Claimants
  • Fadl Nasr the Sultan in Qurṭubah
  • Abu-Bakr Nasr the Sultan in Gharnaatah
  • Utman Nasr the warrior Sultan
  • Galind Nasr the Sultan in Lebla
  • Jyad Nasr the Shia Sultan
  • Adfuns al-Umawiyyun the Sultan in Mayurqa
The succession crisis brought about by the unexpected death of Abbas Nasr, saw many family members take up arms against each other in the hope of claiming the failing Sultanate for themselves.

Fadl Nasr, the so called Sultan in Qurṭubah was the son of Abbas and legitimate ruler of Al-Andalus. However his age of 10 saw many declare him unfit to rule on the grounds of being a minor. The irony is that the Nasr dynasty's first ruler of Al-Andalus was Attab Nasr, who was in fact only 6 years old. As true son of Abbas, Fadl had custody of the capital city of Qurṭubah, and the royal army. Or at least what was left of it following its crushing defeat at Madrid. Fadl's campaigns were few, and the young ruler relied on the walls of the city to defend him against his enemies. This did not help however when his uncle, Abu-Bakr besieged the city. On the orders of Fadl, the demoralized army of the sultan marched back south to deal with the traitor to the realm. The battle was a resounding victory for Abu-Bakr, with many of Fadl's army defecting to the besiegers. The capital withstood the assault for months, Abu-Bakr's forces keeping tight control over the surrounding area. The hopeless defenders began to turn against their sultan, when one day the sultan was invited to council by his regent Muhammad. Fadl was never seen again after that, and the gates of Qurṭubah opened to Abu-Bakr who proclaimed himself the Sultan of Al-Andalus.

Abu-Bakr, first brother of Abbas Nasr claimed to be rightful heir of Al-Andalus as in his words, his brothers offspring were illegitimate. Unfit for the successions and the offspring of vile unholy deeds between Abbas and his sister who were known to be close. However no evidence hints at any truth to this accusation. Much of Abu-Bakr's support came from the nobility of Gharnaatah. Abu-Bakr himself set out on his war from Alhambra castle with a small retinue of men that gradually grew as he paraded through the provinces. Abu-Bakr was definitely the initial favorite in the succession crisis, his personal diplomacy and military skills proved popular with the local nobility and mercenary groups both. Setting his claim out clear, Abu-Bakr marched headlong into the fire with around 6000 men. Knowing very well Fadl's army had well and truly been smashed by the Catholics of Asturias, Abu-Bakr sought to win a quick victory before any of the other contenders could isolate themselves behind the great walls of Qurṭubah. Victory in the battle of Qurṭubah and amnesty for the defenders of the city saw Fadl's defenders turn against their sultan in record time. Abu-Bakr was crowned Sultan of Al-Andalus only 3 years after the war began. However the real struggle would begin when attempting to put down the other 'so-called' Sultan's and their armies. Victory on the battlefield of Lebla saw Abu-Bakr eliminate his nephew Jyad from the succession and further secure his grip on the throne.

518px-MoorsinIberia.jpg

Abu-Bakr's army prepares to face Jyad Nasr's forces in battle

Utman Nasr, brother to Abu-Bakr was an ambitious little brat. Despite his brother claiming the throne Utman saw that might made right, and as the undisputed warrior king he would conquer his way to the throne of Al-Andalus. Much of Utman's early campaigns were focused on building his support among the nobility of the Algarve. However as an outside candidate, Utman did not receive anywhere near the support of Abu-Bakr. As such, he had an interesting way of raising support. Utman went out with his martial brilliance and retinue of around 3000 men to subjugate the nobles of Al-Andalus. After military victory on the field of battle, Utman allowed those defeated to join his army, with the promise of glory and riches upon his succession to the throne. With no other choice, many of the nobles, along with their bands of soldiers joined Utman's cause. Although much of Utman's later campaigns were committed to fighting against Galind his end finally came, when he died in his sleep of unknown causes. Many suspect he was poisoned, although little evidence points to an accurate cause of death.

Galind Nasr was an unlikely candidate for succession, as 3rd brother of Abbas Nasr. However inspired by the ambitious campaigns of his brothers he sought to make a name for himself on the battlefield. Galind had little initial success, many of the nobles simply didn't take him seriously. However Galind found some support from the peasantry of his seat in Lebla who followed him on a trek throughout the lands to rally support. The movement of Galind was lucky, as only a few months later, Jyad arrived in Lebla, besieging the city. Galind and his merry band of peasants marched north to Cortegana where Galind received word of the lunacy of King Guillén. Armed with this knowledge, Galind stirred up the religious fervour of his followers and marched into Badajoz, where he was given a heroes welcome by the local Muslim population who looked to him as a savior, and truly rightful Sultan of Al-Andalus. The peasant bands of the area defected to Galind, who then marched south to Qurṭubah to confront Abu-Bakr.

Jyad Nasr was not initially a contender for the throne. It was not until his brother Fadl mysteriously vanished that he entered into the war. The boy, barely over 9 was smuggled out of Qurṭubah before Abu-Bakr had taken the city and raised by Shia militants from Morocco who aimed to instill 'true Islam' into the Sultanate. The Shia armed with their figurehead lay siege to Lebla, hoping to capture Galind as a hostage to use against Abu-Bakr. Upon taking the city however Galind was nowhere to be seen. Soon after arrived the men of Abu-Bakr. The battle proved close, yet the Sunni faithful prevailed and Jyad was taken into Abu-Bakr's custody and never seen again.

Adfuns al-Umawiyyun of Mayurqa claimed to be a descendent of the Umayyad dynasty of ancient Andalusian Sultans who ruled the kingdom around 100 years ago. None took this seriously. Adfuns spent most of the war sitting on his island, waiting for the right moment to strike. Finally Adfuns decided to take action when he heard of Utmans death, landing with less than 2000 men in Mursia. His force was quickly fed up with the war however and desired peace, abandoning Adfuns. The Umayyad heir spent the rest of the war wandering Andalusia with his servant. Although tales disagree about what happened to him. Many suggest his ghost still wanders the plains with his imagined army hoping to one day claim his kingdom...

The war came down to Abu-Bakr and Galind. Abu-Bakr and his battle hardened warriors and Galind and his peasant militia. The battle with Jyad and the Shia army had seriously weakened Abu-Bakr's force, whilst Galind's forces had grown since he took Badajoz, liberating the Muslim faithful. Galind's rag-tag force arrived at Qurṭubah finding it poorly defended. Many of Abu-Bakr's men had rode with him to meet Jyad's forces. Mistaking Galind's men as simple travelers they were allowed into the city where they crowned Galind the Sultan. Bakr's men didn't know what to do. They were too few to take on Galind's forces, and so defected to the third Sultan. Upon Abu-Bakr's return he was furious to see his brother in his rightful seat. His demands that the gates be opened went unheard, leading him to attempt a siege on the city. However his men were injured, tired, hungry and too few. The besiegers turned on Abu-Bakr surrendering him to Galind. Abu-Bakr spent the rest of his life in a comfortable prison in Qurṭubah, able to enjoy the luxuries of his namesake, provided he accept Galind as his liege lord.

Although the War of the Six Sultan's is seen as a major event in the history of Hispania, Galind's victory changed nothing. The Nasr dynasty was already on its last legs. The war only sped up their ultimate demise, as famine, death and disease reigned over the Sultanate for years to come. The fall of the Nasr dynasty would come soon after those pitiful years in which brother fought brother. The age of Al-Andalus did not come crashing down spectacularly, nor did it go out with a bang. It simply faded, unnoticed into the annals of history.

Last edited:
Nice explanatory text of your immediate foes.

Looking forward to chapter 2, and gl to your future.

P.S you decided your EU mod yet?

I think i'm going to go with M&T, just got to hope it gets updated by the time i'm ready!
As i'm up to date with my other work now, it looks like its plain sailing into Chapter 2!
Also another question, I have a specific idea what i want for EU4, but i am considering some audience involvement in important matters, which will take the form of Council meetings or Parliament sessions later on in the game depending on the rulership style of the country later on in the AAR.

Last edited:
Great set of updates! I liked especially how you weave the historical facts in and make it interesting

Maybe some more pics to break up the text though-a small point

i'm happy for the voting idea, just be sure to give information on what we need to produce to be come a part of this "Consejo del estado" (council of state)
and the possible positions you'd want filled.

good luck and glad for a second MEIOU+Taxes AAR to be running, ironically also in Spain lol