A small request about the dynastic tree

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Werther

Lt. General
87 Badges
Jan 26, 2010
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Island Bound
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
Hi, I know it's a detail and someone probably already mentioned it but I loved the dynasty tree in CK2 which was extremely useful. In CK3 it is used much less for many reasons, but the main one is quite simple: it always opens on the head of the dynasty.

For someone like me who likes to spend hours figuring out the relationships between characters and who writes AARs, it is a real pain to find a character in the tree (and looking characters connnections with the character page is a nightmare).

Would it be possible to simply open the tree on the selected character like in CK2?

Sorry if this has already been requested but it would be a good step towards rehabilitating the dynastic tree.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Yes, that would be nice! ...

... and finally fixing all the other stupid UI-behaviour wouldn’t hurt, too ... all that “snapping-to-top” and to “default-position” is a no-go ...
I happily noticed that the character finder (somewhat) remembers your settings since Royal Court ... only to get depressed again, to see this simple feature not being carried over to the marriage-finder ...

Meanwhile I’m almost sure, 173 people are working on the graphics (which are imho breathtaking!) ... and one poor guy tries to make the UI work ...

• 3Like
Reactions:
Thanks for pointing that out. I am a bit disappointed that this hasn't been addressed yet although the game is out for almost 1,5 years. Same with the issue of being married to someone within the dynasty which makes tracking people within the dynasty tree at some point a real chore because you need to hide+open multiple characters to navigate to the persons you initially selected. I am actively avoiding my dynasty tree atm - and generally don't open dynasty trees of others for that reason - which is ridiculous in a game which has the dynasty as the focus.

Several suggestions how to improve the dynasty tree:
  1. Always pan to the person from where you clicked on in the dynasty tree, as in CK2 and as the OP suggests
  2. Allow the player to pin a certain line as the MAIN line (e.g. right click on your current ruler and "pin main line"). This way, when you open your dynasty tree you will always end up at the line where you are currently playing (i.e. in my game, the line on the right is my main line). This would easily solve the issues with being married with someone of your dynasty.
  3. Make it optional that in case of marriages within the dynasty, you can permanently hide those ancestors who are doubled in the tree. In case you are hiding those doubled ancestors permanently, indicate (e.g. with the dynasty tree symbol) at the side of that person whose ancestors you are hiding that their spouse was a member of your family. This would also help with the performance especially on lower end PCs as there would be less characters displayed.
To give you my current example: I started my game on the line on the left and at some point, it switched to the right (where the geniuses are). I married at some point someone on the left line of the dynasty. Now when I open my dynasty tree, my main line on the right is hidden because the game switched the focus on the left side thus hiding all my siblings, cousins etc.

This is just really exhausting and takes away a hugely important part of the game (since the dynasty tree is now literally dysfunctional).

Last edited:
Reactions: