• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
I was playing CK2 this afternoon, to see how the new eventseries are working out.. It just turned out so brilliantly fun, that I had to share it with you guys.

I started as Conan, Duke of Brittany... I did the usual tactic of marrying Matilda of Tuscany, as I had only a bastard son and no heir.

I was slowly building up my economy, fiddling about with where to build the first upgrades and so, when by bastard half-brother Geoffroy asks me for a wife. Well, I promise him one, and goes finding a young woman named Thomasse de Dol in my court.

Just a few months later, my slightly annoying brother bothers me again. He claims his wife is cheating on him. Since I have a trusting trait, I dismiss him, saying nothing happened... So Thomasse becomes very very happy with me.

So happy that she a little while later flirts, and one thing leads to another, and a few months later her belly starts growing.

At the same time, my wife gives birth to my heir, Benoit, but a Duke can never be too careful, children tend to die to lots of natural causes like knifes in the back, too much water in their lungs, or falls from high places..

So when my brother's wife gives birth to the little bastard, I quickly legitimise Aimery.. As a backup heir..

This pisses of my wife, and my brother...

But I'm the duke, I know that there is not much they can do against me.. .

A few years goes by, and then Thomasse shows why she has an ambitious trait.. My spymaster has proof that she is plotting to have Benoit dead so that her son will be my primary heir. Since I am duke and I decide who lives and dies in my realm, she goes to prison.

Meanwhile, the King of France thinks he should be Duke of Brittany so he crushes my armies on the battlefield and conquers me, reducing me to the Count of Vannes, and part of France.

Now this evil backstabbing deeds does not end there.. As my spymaster tells me there is proof that Matilda is behind poisoning Benoit.. Her oldest son. It seems her attempt to kill Aimery backfired, and I had to put her in prison as well.

Thats not really nice, as Benoit dies not long after it, and Aimery is now my heir, to my counties, but his brother Nominoe will inherit Tuscany.

Here's a small screenshot of how it looks currently.
ck2_1.png

Last edited:
Hehe, great stuff. Intrigue makes the best stories. It's also very nice to see a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes. Will we have future updates, perhaps?

What was the AI's reasons for Mathilda wanting to kill her son, though? Was it her dislike of her husband that caused it?

Hehe, great stuff. Intrigue makes the best stories. It's also very nice to see a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes. Will we have future updates, perhaps?

What was the AI's reasons for Mathilda wanting to kill her son, though? Was it her dislike of her husband that caused it?

She didnt want to kill her son, she wanted to kill my lover's son, and that mistargeted :)

And legitimizing bastards is an easy way to piss of your wife.. Its currently -50 on relations.

I expected many things from CK2, but transgender birth-givers wasn't among them! :D

It's a great story though, thanks for sharing.

hehe, i meant brother's wife :)

She didnt want to kill her son, she wanted to kill my lover's son, and that mistargeted :)
This is really cool. Not just story-wise (though it makes for interesting stories as well, of course, like we just saw :)), but from a mechanic perspective. Great to see failed assassinations having the possibility of greater in-game consequences than just a "failed attempt" screen popping up and a minus to relationship-scores.

It seems like legitimizing your bastard wasn't such a smart move, with your wife being a powerful landholder in her own right. Great stuff :)

My excitement for this game keeps growing. I try to avoid these things because they build me up and there is nothing that I can do ... but ... I'm geeking out! :D

Question that's vaguely related. When characters who are important to you (such as your own, your children, your wife, etc) does it tell you why they died? I know in the Sengoku demo it didn't and I've heard it doesn't in the full version either. I'd like to know why my presumably healthy 18 year old dies, if he does :).

Regards,

The Great

Couldn't help but notice this cross

crossj.jpg

If I might say so, it looks a bit oversized compared to the rest of the buildings. That is of course assuming it's there to symbolize a church or cathedral rather than special things like excommunication, interdict or crusades. Would be interesting to know more.