• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just asking for clarification - do we get up to x% of our force limit as marines, or do we get those x% on top of the force limit?

In other words, does his effectively raise the force limit for people who have access to marines?

Just asking for clarification - do we get up to x% of our force limit as marines, or do we get those x% on top of the force limit?

In other words, does his effectively raise the force limit for people who have access to marines?

no

Do the dutch get any marine bonuses, considering they do have one of the oldest marine corpses (less old than the English, Portugese, Spanish or French, but still from the 17th century) with some actual battles against the British (I also don't know why the dutch have worse naval ideas than the British despite them beating England in 2 out of the 3 Anglo-Dutch Wars) while 1500 marines were actually used to assault forts in England during the raid on the medway which appears to be the intended purpose of marines.

Do marines pips correlate with techs and tech groups?

Which unit models will be used for marines?

Will they have special animation?

Isn’t penalty too harsh on them to be useful?

So, me and @Groogy have been posting a few teasers recently, and I wanted to clarify a little bit about them.

Coastal Defence Buildings
Two of the new buildings in 1.30 that I can talk about today are the Coastal Defence and the Naval Battery. They can be built in any coastal province.

Coastal Defence
Required Dip Tech 5
+50% Blockade Force Required
+100% Hostile Disembark Time

Naval Battery
Required Dip Tech 12
+100% Blockade Force Required
+200% Hostile Disembark Time
+5% Hostile Fleet Attrition

kike if you control one side and the enemy the other one , you still suffer the 5% attrition, even if you're passing by?
and i wasn't aware you needed more than 1 ship to blockade, or is it just for forts?

I really hope that we can use marines to siege down coastal forts without actually walking land units onto it. Like having a fleet large enough to blocade the fort or even the whole state and enough marines in that fleet than it would needto siege the fort down normally.

Of course that could be prevented by stationing troops in that fort to "defend" from that siege, or attacking that fleet.

Last edited:
Do the dutch get any marine bonuses, considering they do have one of the oldest marine corpses (less old than the English, Portugese, Spanish or French, but still from the 17th century) with some actual battles against the British (I also don't know why the dutch have worse naval ideas than the British despite them beating England in 2 out of the 3 Anglo-Dutch Wars) while 1500 marines were actually used to assault forts in England during the raid on the medway which appears to be the intended purpose of marines.

The Dutch have better naval ideas than England, I would take +50% force limit over +10% heavy ship combat ability every day. Which also makes sense because the big challenge that the Dutch had in the Anglo-Dutch Wars was to overcome the larger ships fielded by the English.

And Great Britain decisively won their only war with the Netherlands.

Will coastal defence buildings be able to defend themselves from land assaults as well? Essentially, will a coastal defence province act like an unfortified province when it is being sieged by a land army? Or will it act as a lower level fort? Perhaps being half as effective as a land fort?

I don't know of any coastal defence fortifications IRL that are entirely vulnerable to, and ineffective against, assault from land, but perhaps there are a few like this.

As a follow up to the first question: when disembarking troops land on a province with a coastal defence building, will they be required to assault the fortress upon landing (inflicting heavy casualties) or will they have presumably landed in an area adjacent to the fortress, and thus not needed to assault it?

TLDR: do provinces with coastal defence buildings act like they have fortresses on them when they are landed on?

The Dutch have better naval ideas than England, I would take +50% force limit over +10% heavy ship combat ability every day. Which also makes sense because the big challenge that the Dutch had in the Anglo-Dutch Wars was to overcome the larger ships fielded by the English.

And Great Britain decisively won their only war with the Netherlands.
I actually prefer the British naval ideas. But this is just my opinion, everyone is entitled to their own of course.

For me, when ships fight as well as British heavies do, you don't need very many of them. Plus, Britain inherently has a high naval force limit, they don't need the boost. Im sure if you do some looking around you can find examples of this online, but less than 30 British heavies can defeat entire armadas of 100+ heavies due to the currently lacklustre naval combat. I'm currently playing a game as britain right now, and I can easily take on Ottoman fleets (in an inland sea tile) of more than 40 heavies and 50 galleys with only 35 heavies of my own. Im sure if I adopted some additional naval ideas, I could defeat much larger fleets.

I like the idea a lot but I could also see some fleshing out:
-transports carrying marines should give a bonus to the shock phase of naval combat. Marines were, after all, used for both boarding parties and fighting them off during engagements.

-Blockading needs to be more impactful. We obviously don't have all the information of what is going on in this upcoming patch, but without some sort of change to blockading, the coastal buildings will go unused and navies will continue to be on the pointless side, barring a few specific tags. Blockading should, at the very least, have a much more severe impact on trade income and should be a way to hurt a nation's economy.

Further, will the Dutch and the United States be receiving anything for marines? Both countries have a long, proud history of excellent marines (at least overall. The US was obviously very young by the game's time frame but they still had and have their very notorious Marine Corps) and it would seem strange if they were omitted.

So, me and @Groogy have been posting a few teasers recently, and I wanted to clarify a little bit about them.

Marines

One of the new categories of units we are adding in 1.30 is Marines. If you own the Golden Century OR the Rule Britannia Immersion Pack, you'll get this new unit.

• Marines are infantry only.
  • Marines use sailors instead of manpower when built and reinforce.
  • The amount of Marines you can build is a fraction of your force limit, and the default is 0%.
  • Naval Ideas gives you 5% of your force limit as Marines.
  • The Recruiting Act Policy gives 5% of your force limit as Marines.
  • The Portuguese Naval Doctrine gives 10% of your force limit as Marines.
  • English Red Coats National Idea gives 5% of your force limit as Marines.
  • British Britannia Rules the Waves gives 10% of your force limit as Marines.
  • Marines land at +200% disembarking speed.
  • They ignore crossing penalties, so if your army is 50% marines, and you cross a straight, its -1 penalty instead of -2, and if you land with 100% marines, you have no penalty.
  • Marines however take 25% extra damage in the shock phase, as their drawback.

numbers subject to tweaking..
View attachment 533810

View attachment 533811

Coastal Defence Buildings
Two of the new buildings in 1.30 that I can talk about today are the Coastal Defence and the Naval Battery. They can be built in any coastal province.

Coastal Defence
Required Dip Tech 5
+50% Blockade Force Required
+100% Hostile Disembark Time

Naval Battery
Required Dip Tech 12
+100% Blockade Force Required
+200% Hostile Disembark Time
+5% Hostile Fleet Attrition

These are three new statements you have not heard before, so let me explain them.

Blockade Force Required - Previously the amount of ships required to blockade a port was entirely dependent of the development of the province. Now this is increased by 50% and 100% by these buildings, making it more expensive to blockade an hostile coast.
Hostile Disembark Time - This slows down how quickly hostile forces can land on this coast. The Naval Battery can totally negate the bonus of the Marines.
Hostile Fleet Attrition - A fleet sitting in a sea-zone will take the highest hostile fleet attrition, from adjacent enemy controlled ports, each month. (Yes, the AI will as well.)

View attachment 533812

Yes, there will be more fun stuff later on, but most likely not more this year... dunno... :p
If you are landing a mixed force of marines and regulars, do they land at the speed of the Marines, the regulars, or a weighted combination of speeds?

I don't suppose other naval-focused tags like Venice will get access to extra Marines, will they? 5% of the force limit from Naval seems so small... I would think that Marines and Merchant Republics ought to complement each other, but MRs tend to have a small force limit to begin with. Maybe Merchant Republics could get a Marine bonus?

I don't know about this, the idea is good but it seems like the increased landing speed and strait crossing immunity do not compensate the -25% shock defense debuff in any shape or form, and won't actually help the one employing them to perform better in battles or wars. Landing somewhere is rarely the problem, the problem is just being able to survive after the initial landing.

It would make them more useful if they had a significant combat ability increase when fighting in coastal areas (maybe only if you also had naval superiority on that adjacent sea tile, thus increasing the importance of the often neglected naval game), or more effective at siegeing coastal fortresses, basically a unit of excellence at helping Portugal, the U.K and the Netherlands at fighting a war across several oceans to conquer that particular Indian or Indonesian center of trade. Or maybe a significant increase to transport ship combat ability while being carried (by being a more effective boarding force).
As it stands, it would still be more beneficial to use normal infantry for naval invasions, since once the landing (easy) part is done, the Marines become inferior to regular soldiers.
I get the idea of a drawback, but is it really realistic? Usually Marine forces were actually the elite of a nation's entire armed forces, being not only a niche amphibious unit but also as good or even better at everything else normal infantry can do. They were also good in amphibious operations, not good in amphibious operations instead.

I can only see this mechanic as another last resort manpower boost. And manpower isn't exactly what England/UK, Portugal and the Netherlands lack the most, these nations aren't exactly famous for only winning by outnumbering their rivals (which as of now, they do have to, since all their rivals have superior military quality)...

Last edited: