• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Legosim

Major
28 Badges
Jul 2, 2009
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 200k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
flagofsweden.png

Hi all! This will be my first AAR posting on this forums, and my first real attempt at being active in this place. I'll try my best to update frequently (but I'm writing this as I play), and who knows, maybe even finish the darn thing. It'll be Sweden, grand campaign, vanilla Revolutions, standard rules, no cheating, etc. I'm using normal/normal.

I'll be writing this in the sorta gameplay AAR fashion, rather than telling a story. With any luck, I'll be keeping to the "a picture is worth a thousand words" methodology.

Part 1: 1836-1849
Part 2: 1850-1859
Part 3: 1860-1869
Part 4: 1870-1873
Part 5: 1874-1879
Part 6: 1880-1899
Part 7: Intermission and Review
Part 8: 1900-1909

Last edited:
Cool! Let's see how you do. :)

PART 1: 1836-1849

I'm relatively new to Victoria, and this is my first real attempt at finishing a Grand Campaign. I fiddled with Brazil, then Belgium, and then decided to try out Sweden. I've had tons of fun with this game so far. So, this post will be fairly short, and boring, and I promise you, the following one's won't be, so if you don't die of boredom, come back and check out screenshot's later.

Anyway, on to the AAR. I did the normal stuff, all taxes to 50%, brought education and crime fighting to 100%, and decreased defense, social spending, army, and navy spending down to 0%. I was making about £10-15 a day, which in my opinion is rather good for the very beginning. I closed a Small Arms factory, and sent it's pops to go work in the Ammunition Factory and Lumber Mill in that state, both making them make a profit. I've decided that Lumber and Steel should be my main moneymaker's throughout most of the game. I then went about splitting pops that were over 40k, etc. I went into the World Market, and fiddled with that, making sure to keep my stock of lumber at at least 40, and steel at at least 20.

For the next 14 years, nothing exciting happened except the Scandinavianist Surge event, which bodes well to me. I've also been able to make Denmark and Prussia both strong allies. By the time 1850 rolled around, I was making about £15-20 a day at a steady rate, and had about £50k piled up.

Oh, and I invaded Oman, took all their African provinces, and satellited them, mostly on a whim.

Next part up probably tomorrow. Sorry again for the lack of pic, or general interestingness at all.

Last edited:
PART 2: 1850-1859

On March 17, 1850, I decided I was going to try to make an AAR. What convinced me was what seemed about three seconds before hand an incredibly trivial happening. Tripoli went bankrupt. I saw it out of the corner of my eye, and noticed, that Tripoli was Libya, which the Ottomans owned. So, I traded my two provinces I owned in Meccah, for a coastal province in Ottoman Libya. I landed two divisions of infantry, and a cavalry division, and DoW's Tripoli. Three months later, I pushed the Annex button.

I picked up a bit of prestige, but that's not what I wanted. I intended to sell Tripoli piece by piece to the Ottomans, for cash, tech, and land. What follows, are the screenshots of the three "Libyan Talks".

baghdadtalks1.png

baghdadtalks2.png

baghdadtalks3.png

Sorry about the pretty bad quality of these pictures, they should be better in the future. Sold, bought.

The plan was, I was trying to help Greece grow, and become a stronger nation, but once I realized that Greece was a lost cause, and did not have any cash, techs, or colonies to pay for the land, I sorta gave up. I really don't want that Mediteranian land, I'd much rather have it go to Greece, but when the Scramble for Africa starts, I'll sell it to the UK or something for some African provinces.

Anyway, I allied the Ottomans, and started preparing for the inevitable, which happened:

crimeanwar1.png

My military was split into the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Armies, of 30,000 infantry, and 10000 cavalry each:

crimeanwar2.png
crimeanwar3.png

I mobilized my reserves, jumped in, and started attacking an unprepared Finland. My ally Prussia, decided to dishonor our alliance. :mad:

Anyway, by the end of May, 1854 I had reinforced my three armies with 4 reserve infantry divisions each, along with creating a four-division reserve army, and had established a front, with the 2nd Army getting ready to link up with the 1st Army in Tarku:

crimeanwar4.png

This is where things went wrong. Great Britain, France, Sardinia, AND the Ottoman's all white peaced out on the same day, June 14, 1856. I was left alone to fight one very, very angry Bear. So, the same day I counted 500,000 Russian troops about to advance into Finland, I gave up all hopes of grabbing all the provs in the Greater Finnish Peninsula, paused the game, prayed for five minutes, saved, and offered peace, taking all off occupied Finland. Mother Russia said:

crimeanwar5.png

Oh thank God...

So ended the Crimean War. After I demobilized my reserves (which for some reason, the game refused to let me deploy more than 20 of my 23 divisions :confused:), reduced army spending to minimum, and settled down to build defenses all along the Russian border, while simultaneously begging Russia to forgive me so they don't steamroll me in five years. Ahh well. The Swedish situation at the end of the Crimean War, mid 1855:

crimeanwar6.png

Those two Finnish lumber mill's really helped...

For some reason, it won't let me train army techs any more (any ideas? :confused:) so I did a switcheroo with Prussia:

dealprussia.png

The only other exciting thing that happened from 1855-1859, was me sitting there, cleaning my room, waiting for my steel factory to produce enough so I could click the build railroad button. Man I need a Liberal Party. by December 31's 1859, all of Scandinavian Sweden is covered in experimental railroads, with the capital and surrounding provs having early railroad. The general stuff of Sweden, December 31, 1859:

end.png

Last edited:
A very nice start!

If it isn't letting you research any more, then you may have exhausted all the options available in the tech trees offered by your Intellectual Establishment (though I wonder how this is possible so early in the game). If you don't mind losing some prestige, try changing your intellectual establishment.

A very nice start!

If it isn't letting you research any more, then you may have exhausted all the options available in the tech trees offered by your Intellectual Establishment (though I wonder how this is possible so early in the game). If you don't mind losing some prestige, try changing your intellectual establishment.
Really? I thought it was because I've been focusing majorly on army.

I've only researched 12 army techs though.

Army-Industrial might not be that bad.

Last edited:
Very nice! Finland is once again under swedish rule! You showed them russians.! :p
Sweden is really looking nice, but i guess i can expect the map to got better? :D

*sniff* the screenshot of Sweden owning Norway and Finland is so beautiful..This is what the map should look like in real world!:D

Great peace with the Russians! Now fortify your border, conquer Denmark (they should belong to Sweden as well) and take control over the Baltic Sea!!

Really? I thought it was because I've been focusing majorly on army.

I've only researched 12 army techs though.

Army-Industrial might not be that bad.

It's because you've researsched all military techs available this early, soon enough new one will be enabled..

Those reserves you couldn't deploy, maybe they were from Gotland or somewhere else not connected to the Scandinavian peninsula?

It's because you've researsched all military techs available this early, soon enough new one will be enabled..

Those reserves you couldn't deploy, maybe they were from Gotland or somewhere else not connected to the Scandinavian peninsula?
Well, I found out It wouldn't let me drop them individually, but I could "deploy to home". So I did that, just in time for the war to end. Not that 3 extra divisons would have helped me against three 25+ division Russian armies. :(

Hint: occupying the enemy capital usually makes said enemy splurt out a peace offer. Also, there are some montainous provinces on the Sweden/Finland border that are perfect for grinding down the russian armies.

Or, if you have sea controll, part your navy next to St. Peterburg, occupy it, entrench (ideal ofr the job: art+one eng, or art+gurad+eng), and watch the russians die:)

Hint: occupying the enemy capital usually makes said enemy splurt out a peace offer. Also, there are some montainous provinces on the Sweden/Finland border that are perfect for grinding down the russian armies.

Or, if you have sea controll, part your navy next to St. Peterburg, occupy it, entrench (ideal ofr the job: art+one eng, or art+gurad+eng), and watch the russians die:)

It's easier to attack by land, and he have already conquered a border province...

In the next war with Russia, you can try and shorten the border down to three provinces!

Wow, nice success in the first war! Now you have to figure out how to kick the crap out of them again. ;)

Interesting. What I did in my game was buy Finland back with techs, stay out of the Crimean War, and invade to get Viipuri, Åland, and East Karelia later.

Your method is much more manly, though. :)