• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Noooo, Byzant got annexed! :eek:

Crown yourself the Patriarch of Constantinople!

Or can you do that in IN? :p

Take Bulgaria to get a land link there. :)

DAY 2: Continued...​

I'm over extended, in the clutches of Milan when I hear some gurgling noises from under my desk... I see my brain and put it back in it's place. Thinking it through, I decide to pop for a general to see if I can swing things a little. At least I can get one good army going and defend. I get a bit of luck with the shock rating. That will help some.

xEU3_95.jpg

Just then, what do ya know... The big stick wants to take his ball and bat and go home. I'm a little ticked at the timing, as i now have a general that won't see any action. I hope he doesn't die of boredom... I am carrying alot of Mercs that need to go away, so at least I can get my budget back under control. MP is JUST starting to come back after combining my forces to death, so even though I wasted hiring the general, it really is decent timing.

xEU3_96.jpg

Milan decides to try to swat me on the way out, albeit unsuccessfully. I want to call them an expletive deleted, but i resist and simply smile...

xEU3_97.jpg

All of this ends with a marginal boost in coin, enough to help keep inflation in check. It's enough to be able rest up and kick back. Besides, Rebel Watch is on, and I hear this weeks episode is really a good one...

xEU3_98.jpg

Things begin to move along. Manpower comes back, troops are built... I reach Workshops... not too bad. Then, Out of the blue, the Ottomans do me a solid. It's one of those "stop the presses" or "hold the phone" moments...

xEU3_100.jpg

Ferrara gets laid out, and lies open and waiting. No time to dilly-dally, Damn the torpedoes we've got to go NOW... I also get some late breaking news... more pop core. I was getting a bit peckish...

xEU3_102.jpg

My forces, led by my general jump in quickly, take Ferrara and annex her... I lose almost no men and revel in the success... It's a win win for me and my depleted forces. Now I just have to wait out her allies...

xEU3_103.jpg

My reveling is short lived however... Riding in on magic horses Aragon swoops in like the plague... my already depleted men are no match for 20K of her best fresh troops. Battle after battle is lost as I stall and withdraw... I lose Ferrara to their siege... My men get the news as they lick their wounds and run. I try in vain to get peace, sending diplomats every year and burning 20 prestige in the process...

I decide now is the time to put some PROPER battle tactics into play. I load up my last full regiments into a solid army, and put my general in charge.
I then pull them all back into into Fruli and wait. I explain to my men... this is the time they earn their pay... now is when we turn the tide. I quote the speech from Independence Day... "We will not go quietly into the night..."
We are pumped and ready... Aragon brings one of her stacks, the one with their best general in it. It was 20K but has been pared down due to WE and attrition. It's only 8K now... They move in and take the bait in Treviso. I wait.
I check morale and wait and check morale and wait...

xEU3_104.jpg

When they start to assault, I move in... Oh Snap!!! My men are giddy as they stand on the hills outside Treviso shouting in victory! I urge them on to reclaim Ferrara... Aragon is running units in and out in a desperate bid to keep numbers up. I wait it out until the numbers are to my liking and move in. Aragon becomes AraGONE as she is overrun. None of her troops make it out...

xEU3_105.jpg

Ferrara comes at a heavy price. But it was well worth it. It gives me a solid toehold on the peninsula along with a good province, complete with a nice university. I retire to my room for some needed R&R...

As I rest up, waiting for the inevitable peace from AraGONE, I have a sudden rash of advisers go to the great advisory board in the sky... I end up stuck with stab guys. As the stab goes back to three, I get a "lucky" one star revolt risk helper. Hoo, boy... No wonder the king keeps making all these mistakes.

xEU3_106.jpg

AraGONE ends up with 3K troops in Ferrara from a high if 19K... She has less than 10K at home now. Sensing her need to stop fighting after her defeat I get the "why can't we be friends?" letter. I decide to take my province and go home. I need to stop for a bit and heal up... especially now that i have lost all three of my BB killing advisory squad.

xEU3_107.jpg

I really didn't fare too badly... seeing is I really wasn't ready for this. Add to that the fact that Aragon kept me on the hook a lot longer than I wanted to be I still manage to to keep WE to under 7. And those Advisers earned their keep, allowing me to annex Ferrara and still have my BB under 8. I have to again disband a bunch of Mercs though. They saved my bacon, but now I'm missing a kidney. I had to sell one to get the cash to recruit all of them...

xEU3_110.jpg

I'm one tech away from my third NI, I have peace and stability. Time for some R&R... I need to rebuild my armies and get some workshops going...

xEU3_111.jpg

I am graced yet again with a superior Theologian. It's the forth one in a row... Apparently, everyone in my nation is nervous and feels guilty about their King's warmongering ways so they spend all day reading the bible...

xEU3_113.jpg

AraGUTLESS has some nads... I'll give them that. Make my life a nightmare for a few years, then ask for access? That'll be the day. You've got a better chance of dating Oprah...

xEU3_114.jpg

100 years spread of discoveries... Pretty close. We'll start to see how this effects things. Checking around, no one has taken QTFNW yet...

xEU3_115.jpg

See what happens when you "discover" a far away island ??? People start to get all these new ideas and stuff...

xEU3_116.jpg

This will be a fun time. At least I won't have to try and change 50 provinces once everything starts going. It also means I have another of those big decisions to make... Do I stay Catholic or change to Protestant??? Protestant would be a nice tax and production boost. I'll wait and see what the consensus is among you all before I choose. Any thoughts on Pros and Cons are most welcome...

It isn't but a month or two later and I see this... I am just getting my Military back into shape, looking for what and where I'll be going to next when I see one of those "rare" opportunities developing...

xEU3_117.jpg

I get a date with Raimundo, an ex hairdresser from Gorz. From what I here he got 10 million votes on "Ruler Search"... The "mourning" over Antorio is a bit of an over statement. No one misses him... except his dog, and only because he got the best table scraps first.

xEU3_119.jpg

I get another core. Money is money, and that extra 90% will come in handy indeed. I start to move some decent troops into Ferrara an anticipation of events. Naples can't keep the rebels down, and more and more provinces are staying sieged... I figure somebody is ready to pop, and if they are close, I might have another one of those annexing moments.

xEU3_120.jpg

Insert exclamation of joy of your choice here...

xEU3_121.jpg

It looks that destiny is calling me to form Italy. The ink on Urbino's independence papers isn't even wet as I begin to devise just how I'm going to do this...

xEU3_122.jpg

Urbino and Roma are crying out to me... Take me... Take me... I may actually to vassalize one to get the other, but we'll see how it unfolds... I decide I will hold off a little while until I can get just a little more WE gone and a little more manpower going.

Enewald said:
Are Venice and Trevisio connected to Ferrara?

On map it looks like so? :confused:

No, they aren't... I have an access through Milan right now. It's one of the reasons I want to get to Milan eventually. I'd hate to get stuck building a fleet to get men south to go after Naples...

I have one or two more updates to post, then i have the day today to play a little. Happy day...

T

I start to get more religious decisions, as well as national ones. I don't know why, but I decide this looks OK... The -1 RR and +1 prestige will come in handy, and all but Bohemia already hate me...

xEU3_123.jpg

I decide to go for it...

xEU3_124.jpg

Ding! Armies are done. It's been a few months and I'm getting antsy. Every day I wait to start on Urbino is an alliance waiting to happen...

As an aside... I now have a MP of 501 a month. Getting there... and a far cry from that paltry 88 start... We'll make a military power of you yet, Aquileia.

xEU3_125.jpg

I pull the trigger on Urbino... I intend to take one province and vassalize to keep my BB down... without the advisers I can't go crazy like before. My WE is also still up there a bit, so I want to tread a little softer...

xEU3_126.jpg

My lone ally now is Burgundy... Austria and France are starting to get uppity with each other. I'm content for them to go at each other... I have more pressing issues to deal with. I cross my fingers that they won't look around too much...

xEU3_128.jpg

An annex nets me a 2% sheriff. Not alot, but better than the stab guy... A nice merchant placement guy too, but i don't take him... my compete chance is less than being struck by lightning... INDOORS... So I have to let him slide.

xEU3_130.jpg

I take Urbino and propose the province and vassal plus a little cash... Of course they take it...

xEU3_132.jpg

xEU3_133.jpg

The papers never even made it back to Urbino... almost immediately The Papal State relieves me of my vassal... This actually works out for me...

xEU3_135.jpg

It will let me take the Urbino province immediately, and let Roma sit for a bit while I get everything back under control. BB will be no biggie... no annexes.

xEU3_141.jpg

I wait just a bit to get everything in line...

Funny how this happens as I'm about to go after the Pope's hideout. That should tell him something right there... I lose another province to being "reformed"...

xEU3_144.jpg

xEU3_145.jpg

I let enough time go by to get my BB back in line and decide to pull the trigger on the Pope's posse...

xEU3_150.jpg

It appears the Pontiff is not wanting to fight... He immediately wants out.

xEU3_155.jpg

I get core on some good pasta sauce... I take it as a sign that Italy is my destiny...

xEU3_156.jpg

I get my province and some cash... Burgundy had control of the other one, which is all good. I couldn't annex it anyways. I will in 10 years when the truce is up, but don't tell Mom.

xEU3_157.jpg

I get another core sample. That's almost all of my original eastern push as part of my sovereign lands now.

xEU3_159.jpg

So here we are again. MP is almost 600 a month. Pulling decent ducats. Have a few workshops left to go. Have some decent expansion. Milan is still my Achilles heal. I have to get to them soon. Roma is just waiting till the truce wears out... After that, BB WE permitting I am going to go after Naples...

xEU3_160.jpg

xEU3_163.jpg

xEU3_165.jpg

Upcoming decisions:

1- Continue with forming Italy or turn to the east and cut the Otts down before they can really hurt me... I am thinking I will wait to go after the Otts until I can get my Land tech up another level or 2. I want the two rich provinces and to connect Thrace.

2- Preemptive peace moves to help keep the peace with Austria and Bohemia, as well as France and Lithuania... the big sticks on the block. I don't want these guys coming to dinner early. They all trump me in land tech, and they all have MP reserves that dwarf my current capabilities.

3- The next big Idea... Which one? I'm half way to G11, it won't be long... Where do I go now? Do I go and get the MP modifier? Do I go odd and take the stability hits out of the equation? Do I take a RR reducer due to the eclectic religions of the provinces that will be in play?

Decisions... Decisions.

Curious as to other observations also as always.

Hope to have an update tonight for you all...

T

Italy would be your best bet right now. Forming it should make you somewhat of a great power, able to contend with the big boys around you.

Also, I propose you take an economic idea. Amplify your capabilities, don't mitigate your weaknesses.

Enewald said:
Forming Italy sounds good.

But conquering the world as Aquilea is better. :D

Attack Africa.

It does... doesn't it. :rolleyes:

What do you think of converting to Protestant? IF I were to shun becoming Italian, I'm going to need a little extra juice from somewhere.

The current Government lets me go plenty steep on the central slider, so I'm not concerned there.

I'm thinking I might take Military Drill for the NI... I could use some killer Generals. Would help make up for the lack of reinforcement.

I'm not crazy about Africa at this time. I wonder how I'd fair having to split MP on two continents, as well as having to buy all those ships to move them there.

My leanings right now are... Get Ready, Get Set and Go after mean old Otto. I'd like to get Thrace on my block instead of off by it's lonesome.

Thanks for the encouragement... and for the sneakiness. Never underestimate the sneakiness... :D

T

Beamed said:
Italy would be your best bet right now. Forming it should make you somewhat of a great power, able to contend with the big boys around you.

Also, I propose you take an economic idea. Amplify your capabilities, don't mitigate your weaknesses.

Blue is such a prettier color than green... and I am in mind with Enewald on staying Aquileia. The thought of giving away the identity after everything it's taken to build it. Granted, the extras that come from forming Italy are potent...

I'm not saying I won't at this time... We'll all see what develops.

Please propose a specific Economic Idea and why you'd choose it based on where I am currently in game. There are some good ones, but they would be a total waste based on my current situation. I'd really like to know the reasoning behind the specific choice so i can think it through.

T

nice game!

you should become protestant, because if you get roma you get a nice prestige/missionar tag

you can take all the universitys in italy, and after a little land tech boost, rush for thrace, and take the whole balkan south of the pretty blue danube.
but i wouldnt go to anatolia, because this would make it only another byzantine game.. stay in europe, maybe with some colonies.. :cool:
of course long time goal should be whole italy, but be careful with your western border.. do you really want france in your neighborhood?

NI could be National bank, to reduce your enourmous inflation..
or at least dont let it rise even more..
your tech cost should now be 30% higher than normal.. this means indian tech group or so :D

Last edited:
antracer said:
Blue is such a prettier color than green... and I am in mind with Enewald on staying Aquileia. The thought of giving away the identity after everything it's taken to build it. Granted, the extras that come from forming Italy are potent...

I'm not saying I won't at this time... We'll all see what develops.

Please propose a specific Economic Idea and why you'd choose it based on where I am currently in game. There are some good ones, but they would be a total waste based on my current situation. I'd really like to know the reasoning behind the specific choice so i can think it through.

T

I didn't mean necessarily becoming Italy, but uniting it will net you a lot of economic power, and significant military power, regardless of if you take the nation decision or not.

Hmm, the NI I would suggest at this time would probably be Bureaucracy. Tax is probably your main source of income, since you said you'll have a lot of trouble trading. The tax bonus goes both to your census and your nominal income, so it's doubly valuable.

Stay Aquileia! Its got the sexiest color of all the nations (or whatever you want to call them) in the game.

If you think you can take the OE, then take their Balkan, and Greek holdings. Dont forget Modena too.

Also, you might want to start either converting your provinces back to Catholocism or adopting one of the protestantisms and converting your provinces to that. Helps stab like nothing else can.

If your income is mostly tax, then converting is a good idea but it's likely to lower relations with the likes of Austria (who usually stay catholic). So beware!

I'm curious about your first idea (Grand Army wasn't it)? Now it's 1505 how many times have you had the army reform event? twice? three times? your army should be maxed out quality shouldn't it?

In which case I'd swap it out for something else....
If you don't plan on colonising take patron of the arts. It might seem strange but it should push you to become more innovotive (+2 innovative every 30 years on average) and it has some nice events linked to it. As you max out innovative you will start being a technology leader and this is important when you're not the biggest kid on the block.

Or

Take National Consripts. Can't go wrong with that one, and if you go after the Ottos you might need it.

Unless Austria has some major allies or there's a strong HRE (like Bohemia) then I'd say target Austria before even thinking of expanding further to the East. Those provinces just don't seem worth the trouble. Unless you have a really good opening, that is. But far better to get those wealthy provinces in Austria. Besides, those Eastern provinces might be a paid to controll with the different culture and religious aspects. And for what??

Austria seems vulnerable. As long as Burgundy is in decent shape, the two of you should be able to deal a crippling blow. Then you can continue your moves into Italy (Naples is too weak to be a good ally and too weak to not inspire your predatory instincts!). Expanding into Milan is also not only a better idea strategically, but might be more rewarding considering the trouble they gave you last time. Just do it right this time.

Plus, the way I see it, if you expand more to the east you are going to stretch yourself out and create a lot of "surface area"--lots of borders. You already have a wide Northern and Western Frontier. As long as you can keep the Otts in check and minimize the threat they pose, you'll have a secure Eastern front. While Northward you have Bohemia, Austria, and what's left of Hungary and to the west you have all those smaller Italian states. Consolodate and aim for territorial congruity. Focus on the Adriatic as the center of your realm. Eat up the Italian minors, the Alpine states bordering you, and then, as I said, consider turning your sights Northward towards Austria. If you could ally with Bohemia, it'd be golden. You also might want to consider an alliance with Poland or one of those states if not to make them think twice if you can't win their favor.

Just my thoughts.

Sir Kenny said:
I really love long updates. :)
You and me both, friend. :D