A Seizure inducing graphical bug. The version 2.7.2 and the checksum is 60bf.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Pater-Bies

Corporal
20 Badges
Jul 19, 2020
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
(edit):
(not solved) Originally on Stellaris bug report, but someone gave me advice to post it here.
If it's needed to see the original conversation then go to Stellaris bug report.

Basically whenever I start my save my game functions properly except the screen flashing violently.
I didn't have to do anything to make it appear except booting my save up.
There's not much to it really.
I must also add that's mostly the background freaking out.

My DLC's:
Utopia, Megacorp, Federations, Apocalypse, Arachnoid portraite pack, Horizon signal, Humanoids species pack, Lithoid Species pack,
then Leviathans story pack, Distant stars story pack, Synthetic dawn story pack and Ancient relics story pack.
They're all enabled.

My enabled mods:
Beautiful universe v2.0, Downscaled ships, UI overhaul dynamic, Epic Explosions, Bigger planet view, Stellaris lis extender SLEX,
According to the game they're all compatible with the latest version.

Like I said, I only have to boot up my save and a couple seconds later my screen starts flashing violently.

Here are some pictures:

1595193125204.png

That tone of red may look pretty but it sure was annoying as hell, distracting and not what was supposed to happen.

1595193161075.png

1595193193100.png

Here are some different colors to switch it up a bit.

1595193314063.png

And some more red to end with.

You've to keep in mind that all this time it was flashing really bright and really fast.

I hope you know a solution to this.

Last edited:
Well I've disabled all my enabled mods and the problem still popped up, furthermore in one of the two different saves I tried, just the one, my energy vanished.
I had a 2K (2,5K) surplus and when I booted up the other save, the latest save it was fine again. But the problem didn't disappear, or get less bad.
What I did notice was it became slightly less bad whenever a new month started.
Should I make a new save or delete my game?

(edit):
I've made quickly an empire to test and make sure if it was just this particular save... turns out it was not and it also popped up in that game.

This morning I deleted Nvidia Geforce Experience, it was acting up, so I figured that maybe it had something to do with the problem.
Turns out that didn't help either.
It still does the things I describe earlier.

To add to the problem my energy surplus seems to vanish in just the autosaves.
My 2,5K surplus that's just fine in manual saves, drops down to negative 500 or less in autosaves.

(edit):
This actually happened to add to the problem, but only in autosaves.
So, I booted up my latest "normal" save and had a 2,5K surplus in energy, this was when the bug already was known to me..
I left the game running for a few months and touched nothing but the speed up, slow down and pause/start buttons, I was testing to see if would go away on its own or if it would be the same in a different save.
Then I made a testsave. My surplus stayed the same in between, cause I didn't build anything in between, like I said.
so when I loaded my testsave I still had a 2,5K surplus, but when I loaded the autosave, that the computer automatically made in between, my surplus turned into a deficit of more than 500. Where did my energy go Stellaris?

I managed to capture a another nice picture of the problem again, but it's hard because you know it flashes really fast, so on the picture it looks just fine.
You need to know that the portraits of my leaders are also looking like what you would see on 50's televisions (severly glitching, I already see it when going in to the tab where all my saves and their names are located)

7.PNG

When I zoom in on a moderate level: I see this.
This happens even when all my previously enabled mods, see above, are disabled.

(edit): Strangely when I zoom in really far it doesn't seem to bug out. I pretty certain of that.
Leader portraits are also affected by this bug and they seem to literally be a glitch in the matrix or something like that.

I'm now going to share a video of how it looks.

Sorry for the sound. My PC is really loud and there are some background noises, but in case you're wondering I'm silent during the video.
Also maybe, but I'm not sure, but maybe the bug I'm experiencing exacerbates how bad the sound is.

(edit): The sound is not important, you can turn it of, but the video footage does show really well what the problem is.

file:///C:/Users/Pieter%20Bas/Videos/Captures/Stellaris%202020-07-20%2012-34-57.mp4

The link should lead to the video. If the link doesn’t work let me know and’ll try to find another way of sharing it. For some reason it couldn’t be uploaded here. It’s a mp3 file and according to this site, those files can be uploaded here, but mine didn’t.

( second edit): It doesn't matter anymore there's a Youtube video you can watch.

Last edited:
As you can see, it's quite bad.

(edit): That was the last statement I made over at the bug report forum, please by all means if you know a solution to this, you're welcome to help.

The movie file didn't attach correctly. There's no way to click on it in this thread.

Strange, it did work fine when I copied and pasted it in Firefox, maybe that's because it's a document on my computer.
Believe me, I tried a whole lot to allow people to see it, but it didn't work.
I tried to insert it as a video... that did't work.
I tried to attach it as a file... that didn't work.
I tried to copy and paste it: didn't work.
and it's the same story for trying to insert it as a link.
If you've any idea on how to share it; I would appreciate for you to share it.

Last edited:
Looks like something going horribly wrong with bloom. Have you tried adjusting your graphics settings?

Thanks for your input.
It might be the solution I need, so I'm not an expert in this.
My guess is that it might be to high an that's why I see it everywhere and that's why it's freaking out.
Although like I said: I'm not an expert in this.
So what would you suggest?
Turn bloom down or increase it?
Or change something else in the graphic settings?

I'd give bloom a go first. Crank it as low as it'll go (or off if possible) and see if the issue occurs still. If it doesn't, start turning it back up till it resumes being an issue.

If turning bloom off doesnt fix it at all, I'd try tweaking the other settings. If its not bloom itself being the issue, its something that's interacting particularly bad with it.

I'd give bloom a go first. Crank it as low as it'll go (or off if possible) and see if the issue occurs still. If it doesn't, start turning it back up till it resumes being an issue.

If turning bloom off doesnt fix it at all, I'd try tweaking the other settings. If its not bloom itself being the issue, its something that's interacting particularly bad with it.

Thank you.
I'll try to mess with my bloom settings and turn it as low as I can.
I don't think anything could be interacting with the bloom, because I've disabled all of my mods and completly deleted THE BUG AND NOT WORKING PROPERLY LIKE IT SHOULD(!) FEST of Nvidia Geforce Experience.
I tried it again after I deleted it and it still didn't work.

Last edited:
So I turned of bloom and it solved the bright blobs across my screen, but didn't solve the white dashes that were flashing across my screen.
I turned of bloom completely, I turned of flare, set my settings from windowed to fullscreen and set my graphics from high to medium.
Now lets see if it works.

So I tried everything I can think of and nothing helps.
I'm pretty sure I just had about every graphical setting on every different option.
Nothing solved it.
I feel quite lost on what to do now.
Maybe I've just discovered some major and horrendous bug.
If that's the case I hope the devs'll fix it soon, because till then the game is borderline unplayeble.
It distracts, breaks immersion and blocks me from being able to see things properly and I think I just proved it can't be fixed by changing the graphics settings.
Sure you can change how it looks, if you lower multi sampling the blobs'll look more square, if you turn it up more round smooth and gradual.
If you turn down bloom you may remove the bright red blobs, but the bright white dashes flashing across the screen'll stay.

Even though it did not help, I still appreciate your suggestion.

I uploaded the video to Youtube and made it unlisted, so only the ones with link can watch it.
I recommend turning of the sound; it's really bad and unnecessary.
Mostly my computer being really loud with the fan and some background noise.

I'm by the way completly silent during this video.

Last edited:
My enabled mods:
Beautiful universe v2.0, Downscaled ships, UI overhaul dynamic, Epic Explosions, Bigger planet view, Stellaris lis extender SLEX,
According to the game they're all compatible with the latest version.

Like I said, I only have to boot up my save and a couple seconds later my screen starts flashing violently.
Is this only happening in this particular galaxy? Or also in any new one you start?

What if you start one unmodded?

DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach your Documents/Paradox/Stellaris/settings.txt and pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox/Stellaris/logs/ folder, attach system.log .

Is this only happening in this particular galaxy? Or also in any new one you start?

No any new one.

What if you start one unmodded?

I already tried to start a new galaxy without mods, but it didn't work.

DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach your Documents/Paradox/Stellaris/settings.txt and pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox/Stellaris/logs/ folder, attach system.log .