• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Been away for a while, so haven't read the update until now.

Another "interesting" situation the blade has gotten Mahon into. I'm not so quick to conclude that it is indeed his wife, maybe just someone reminding him of her. In any case, looking forward to the explanation! :)

Well first off sorry for the delay. Been sick as a dog the last bit and needless to say not been in well enough spirits to be effective at writing, much less anything else.

Fiftypence said:
Really great, I've just read it through. And so now Mahon's lady has unexpectedly appeared, very interesting. Hope to see an update soon. :)

You shall have one. I"m hoping that tomorrow will be the day.

Shuma said:
Been away for a while, so haven't read the update until now.

Another "interesting" situation the blade has gotten Mahon into. I'm not so quick to conclude that it is indeed his wife, maybe just someone reminding him of her. In any case, looking forward to the explanation! :)

Come now. I"m not THAT devious am I? That'd be just cruel and unusual. ;)

Chapter Eight - Loves makes a strong link

"MAHON?!"

Éireann bolted up from her restless sleep, seeing for an instance the vision of her true love in the waking ether that is dreams. Her wide-eyed expression glistened with the sweat of shock as she heard her scream echo off the stone walls. She began to become familiar with her surroundings, feeling the vision fade into the mist of memory.

“No…”, she softly wailed. “Don’t leave me again….”, she cried out into the blackness of night. The night did not reply to her anguished cries, leaving her alone in the dark with only the sound of waves hitting against the shore to muffle the sound of her sobs. She held her hands against her face, her back heaving with each torrent of tears that fell between her hands to the coarse cloth that covered her.

Gentle knocks on the weathered wooden door. “Éireann, is everything all right in there?”, an elderly voice called from the other side.

“Yes Father Conláed.”, she called back with shakiness to her voice. She cursed herself for not being able to hide her sorrow from her voice. “I’ll be fine, I just had a bad dream.”, she replied, this time successfully hiding her true feelings from her host. He hesitated for a minute, then slowly walked down towards his own chambers down the hall.

She rose off the thin cloth and straw that was her bedding and walked towards the window. She remembered the last month as if it was a blue, a bad dream that she would not wake from no matter how hard she tried. The death of her love Mahon was like a striking blow that left a permanent scar on her heart and soul, refusing to heal. Even after a month from the day that he drowned, she still grieved for him immensely. And now with this vision of him, the pain was all too fresh, all too near.

She put on her tunic and coverings and went outside; hoping that a bit of fresh hair would help to clear her head. As she wandered about, she thought about the vision she had experienced some more. He had not appeared as a ghost or one that had suffered a death at the seas, but he looked to be quite healthy. Indeed, his cheeks were rosy, his health to be good, and his clothing one of a great leader of men as opposed to his usual garb. He didn’t seem to be in heaven or hell, but in another spot that she couldn’t fathom. ‘Your fertile imagination will run away with you one day’ she thought as she dismissed such notions.

But the notion that he had not passed on in what Myrddich had said was a fishing accident stayed firmly planted in her mind, like an itch out of reach. She thought about that some more, the wind blowing her long, auburn hair along her shoulders. 'Mahon never was much of a nautical person, in fact, he couldn’t' even swim', she thought to herself. While it would prove that drowning would make sense, something about the whole event smelled off. However, without proof accusing the now local lord would accomplish nothing but her quick demise.
Although right now, she really didn’t have much to live for. Her parents had already passed on, and the home that she and Mahon had expected to move into was claimed by the Lordship after he inherited all lands that were left to Mahon. She was left with no family, no property, and no Mahon. If it wasn’t’ for the compassion of Father Conláed, she’d be out in the cold, although she felt the only reason for his compassion was that her parents were good friends of his.

She shivered from the cold wind that was blowing off the sea. The storm that rolled in the day of Mahon’s death had almost seem to hang over the heads of the land, it’s cold grey sky’s blocking out all sun and warmth. A constant stream of light snowflakes fell from the sky, like small pieces of fluff. Originally they would melt before hitting the ground, but now as she looked at her feet, they were actually surviving once they made landfall, slowly building upon one another. No-one could recall such a thing ever happening, not even the elders. Of course this had everyone uneasy; both for the timing of the storms arrival and the proximity to the beginning of spring.

She looked off into the distance, to the island known as Oileán fiacail eangach. There for days it seemed the storm’s only lashing of bolts of lightning would be seen as of the last few days. No thunder, but just constant bolts. It was quite peculiar to see as usually it’s unremarkable otherwise. She never even knew of it’s existence before the last few days, but the elders have said that the island was not a place that anyone ever comes back from, so obviously it’s been known to the residents of here. She thought of the timing of everything that had happened; the “death” of Mahon, the arrival of the storm, and now vision of him in her dreams. ‘It may mean one thing, one that is too coincidental for all of this to be a random occurrence’, she thought to herself, a smile crossing her soft, ruby lips as a warmth filled her heart and ran down her cheeks.

It may mean that Mahon, her love, may still be alive and to her that's all that mattered.

Last edited:
Fiftypence said:
Good stuff. I like what you did there, with the apparent continuity between the updates.
Thanks :) I was worried that would seem kind of cheesy, but good to see that I was able to convey what I wanted too there.

Important to remind us what is going on in the 'present'

I figured it'd be good to give a feeling for how time is passing, along with how things are going under the hand of Myrddich, if at all.

On a side note that relates in a way to this story, I found this interesting link here -> http://www.answers.com/topic/fillan . For those that are wondering how this will relate, all in good time, but when it does, the info that I found here will be quite interesting and assuming since I made up this character completely from scratch; no real life influences at all.

Last edited:
Chapter Nine – Creidhne's Council

He stared transfixed at the woman in front of him, like a young man falling in love for the first time. In front of him stood the love of his life, the embodiment of the one thing that he held most precious to his heart in this world. Her long auburn hair cascading down her shoulders, her eyes as green as spring leaves, her skin as alabaster as the whitest clouds. He rushed over, kissing her passionately as he held her tightly against him, for a moment feeling as if he had fallen into a most wonderful dream and forgetting about the events that had led him here.

His dream was quickly brought back to reality with her shock fading from his advances. She started to struggle against his embrace, hitting his upper arms and shoulders in what appeared to be a futile effort to be released from him, his strength preventing her for escaping. He froze, puzzled as to why she would be struggling against him, convinced that there was no way that this could not be his Éireann.

The flaps to the tent door opening behind him distracted him for a split second, enough for her to slip out of his arms. She quickly grabbed the garment to repair and ran out the door, almost knocking down the unexpected visitor. Mahon stood there, stunned at her reaction; his arms open in an expression of confused amazement.

The unexpected visitor ducked under the top of the door to enter, his long brown robe covering every inch of his massive frame save his bare feet. He closed the flap behind him, muttering something to the guards outside before doing so. Mahon slowly emerged out of his stunned state, still confused at this uninvited guest. “Who are you?” he questioned as he slowly leaned his arm back, grabbing the hilt of his sword that was strapped to his back.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you Mahon.” the voice, familiar to his ears, replied back. The visitor walked over to the table where a large flask of water and other spirits resided and poured himself a large flagon of mead, its’ frothy head bubbling over the head of the mug.

Mahon tried to summon as much confidence as he could muster, ignoring for the fact that this is the first person in this new place that has addressed him by his true name. “And why not, stranger?” he responded more confidently then he felt in his heart, “I am the Lord of these lands. Who would stop me from cutting down you, a person that enters my chambers without invitation and consumes my drink without permission?”

The giant man chuckled from within his hooded face. “The Lord of the land you may be in this situation Mahon, but not even a Lord would be foolish enough to cut down a Holy man.” He finished, wiping his mug clean with his robe.

“A holy man indeed!” Mahon laughed mockingly at this pretender. “You may be dressed like a monk, but to presume that you are a priest is laughable.” he continued, his reply intermixed with laughter.

The visitor walked over to a hastily constructed chair, it’s time not to last much longer then the campaign, but for most it would suffice. He slowly sat down upon it, the wood creaking and moaning in agony at the weight of its occupant.

“I never said that I was a Holy Man for your religion, now did I?”, he replied bluntly, sweeping his hood back to move it out of the way as he consumed a large mouthful of ale.

Mahon gasped, half out of surprise, the other out of annoyance. “I should have known it was you Creidhne.” he signed, flopping down onto the bed hard. “Why are you here? Does it give you pleasure to pester me so? And what blathering are you going on about saying your Holy Man?”

“Such warm hospitality that my Lord offers Me.”, he replied with a smirk, grabbing a leg of meat from the table beside him and biting into it hungrily. “As I said before Mahon, it is only you that can be given any blame for being in this predicament.” he finished munching on the mouthful of meat, his replies becoming easier to understand. “As for being a Holy Man, there were many religions that predominated before the Carpenter and his mother came along you know.”

“Yes you said before of this.” Mahon replied slightly annoyed.

“And yet you did not read between the lines well enough to grasp the message. Apparently Fragarach has not blessed with the gift of intuition.” Creidhne replied in a slightly amused voice, taking a small swig of his mead, “Or you have not listened well enough to the subtle hints it gives you.” he finished as he brushed off some crumbs on his tunic.

Mahon thought back to earlier today and how he vaguely seems to remember everything. “You mean like how I seem to know this area, the men’s names that are a part of my war party, or knowing military strategy at all?”, he replied with slight curiosity.

“Well what do you know! You may not be a chronic sufferer of having a closed mind as I first expected!” he replied semi-excitedly.

“At least that is explained.” Mahon said, relieved that at least that has an explanation. “But it isn’t perfect, as obviously the woman that was here was not my Éireann.” he finished sadly; a feeling of slight melancholy overcame him.

“Yes I did notice that”, Creidhne replied with slight confusion. “Cant’ say that it’s ever happened before.” he continued, seemingly unworried about the anomaly.

‘Confusion? From him?’ thought Mahon. ‘This is something very new! Does he not have all the answers after all?’ “What do you mean, hasn’t happened before? How many times has ‘this’ happened?!” Mahon replied incredulously.

“More times then you will have years of life, Mahon.” Creidhne replied with the weight of ages in his voice. “Fragarach was created so long ago that even I had lost the exact date, but it is ancient.”, he finished, pausing to take a swig of his ale as his eyes seem to look like it was viewing years upon years before them. “It has seen the rise and fall of nations, religions, empires and men of stature. The knowledge that it has rivals that of the Gods.” He finished.

“Wait, how can a sword have knowledge?” Mahon replied in disbelief. “It’s just a sharp piece of metal. It has the same chance to be wise as that rock on the ground…”

“…or the human sitting across from me.”, Creidhne finished, smiling slyly at his barb as his rebuttal caught Mahon flat. “The combination of being in existence for eons, made by the God’s personal blacksmith, and having a multitude of souls within its maroon steel should have given you enough of a clue that it is indeed possible!”, his voice becoming slightly agitated as he continued. “It is no wonder your brother was able to betray you so easily.”

A flash of fury and shock shot through Mahon’s heart like a lightning strike. He stood up quickly, his face a mask of hate. “MYRDDICH! How do you know of what that bastard did?!”, he yelled back to his guest, oblivious to the two guards rushing into the tent with weapons drawn.

Creidhne looked at the guards and held his hand up. The guards stopped, then slowly left with confused looks upon their unshaven faces. “I see that Fragarach has had a bit of an effect on you after all,” Creidhne calmly replied.

Mahon looked at him, confused at his statement. “How do you mean? I have not heard the voice since the attack at the shore.”

Creidhne finished off the remnants of the drumstick that he had been feasting upon, tossing the bone to the large wolfhound sleeping soundly in the corner of the tent. “Just because Fragarach is not audible, does not mean that it’s not still communicating with you. For better or worse, you are linked together but it is not a perfect union.” He took a quick drink to break up the explanation. “As I tried to explain earlier, you have already ‘heard’ Fragarach by having some knowledge of this area, these people, this time even.”

Mahon nodded in agreement; it made sense that it would be this way from what little he had experienced although the explanation made him wish that he hadn’t asked.

Creidhne continued on, noting Mahon’s reaction of both intrigue, understanding, and worry all crossing his face at once. “It is different for each person that has had Fragarach, depending on how they react to it. For example Lord Conn, the last recipient of the blade was given a greatly enhanced skill of negotiation and diplomacy. It’s why most of the Lords that you met earlier are here.”, he finished his ale, a slight smile crossing his face. “It’s too bad that it was not intrigue. It would have saved him for an embarrassing demise.”

Mahon looked at him with interest. “What happened to me, I mean him?” he quickly replied. The duality of his role in this...whatever it was, was really starting to get to him.

“He was slain by Tibride Tirech, Mug’s son at a feast that Conn was having. His fifty best warriors dressed as women slain him and his guests in retaliation for his father.”, replied Creidhne.

Mahon began laughing heartily at Creidhne’s reply. “That is indeed embarrassing, that he could not tell rod from quim!”, he laughed out.

“Yes.”, Creidhne replied unimpressed at Mahon’s wit. “Much like your lack of foresight over another situation that was equally as obvious?”, he replied, a thin smirk crossing his features as Mahon disposition quickly soured. “That is something that should you survive Fragarach’s tests; just because it is wise beyond its years, does not mean that you will be as well. For whatever it can offer you, however much it can help you, it’s primary objective is still the claiming of your soul. Forgetting this will make the benefits mute.”

The knowledge of this weighed heavily on Mahon, like a large stone strapped to his back. A strong wind began to buffet the sides of the tent, swaying it from side to side with each gust, the glow of sunlight fading to a dull grey tone as dusk began to fall. “Why would such a blade even be created?”, he asked finally after a few minutes of silence save for the wind. “Having such a terrible price to pay seems like a terrible curse to me, to be purely damned.”, he replied heavily as the potential gravity of the situation began to make itself more apparent.

“All sources of power have a price Mahon. It is the way of the world to be so.”, Creidhne replied over the slight rumble of thunder as he rose to pour himself another mug full of mead. “Your father knew of it. So have Kings and Emperors and other men over the eons. Nature must be in balance Mahon. The greater the power, the greater the cost to maintain that balance. Many beliefs already know and teach this valuable lesson. Surprising that your priests do not teach such a staple of this world, because I know their predecessors did.”, he finished, the last words muffled by the sampling of his refilled flagon.

“Wait do you mean predecessors? God has always existed since the beginning of time.”, Mahon replied in disbelief.

“If you believe everything you have been told, why do you not believe my explanation? Or do you only believe what will conform to your own dogma?” Creidhne sighed. “Evidence bombards your senses that Christianity is only a recent introduction to this land, and that another power was once prominent here.” Creidhne swallowed another mouthful of mead at the end of this, as Mahon looked on, noticing that he was not showing any signs of intoxication at all. It was as if it was like water to him.

Mahon expression turned to one of annoyance, like one that is never told the punch line of this mysterious joke. “So answer this riddle old man! You’ve been spinning it since we first met, and I for one am tired of not knowing it’s answer.” he said hotly as soft rumbles of thunder echoed from afar.

“I was wondering when your curiosity would finally surface.”, Creidhne relied, that smile again surfacing from behind his rapidly emptying flagon of mead. “To answer your question, Druidism is what once the dominant force in spiritual matters here along with other places in this world. For eons it survived, the Gods and it’s people bonded together. The Druids were the centre of social and spiritual life during these times, before the arrival of the Rómhánach and their Aramaic martyr that their followers worshipped.”

“Well it does explain the robes”, Mahon replied, his curiosity temporally satisfied. “But what happened to them? Was their a great battle? Plague? If this was indeed as widespread as you said, something truly earth-shaking must have occurred to dislodge it from the people’s hearts.”, he continued as the sound of thunder started to grow closer, mixed with a new sound; closer and more rhythmic.

“Indeed it was, worse then any that you mentioned.”, Creidhne replied with a tone of great sadness weighing down his features. He said nothing after that, a look of one that had lost everything dominated his face. Mahon wanted to probe more into this; something truly awful must have happened to cause his normally jolly features to sink into despair. Yet he hesitated, it didn’t seem right to demand him to reveal more then he was ready too.

The sound of what sounded like deep drums began to beat harder and louder now, mixed with the powerful sound of the Píob Mhór, the Great WarPipes beginning to play. Mahon listened to their growing melody, recalling the tales that his father had told him of old battles that he had been in where the pipes and drums began. Like thunder they sounded like he said, the precursor of battle they were.

He was not far off.

Tristan slowly entered the tent, snapping both Mahon and Creidhne out of their inward glances into memory. “It is time for me to see if we are ready for battle.”, Creidhne replied, the sadness of his voice fading. “We cannot have your test delayed, can we?” he finished, a smirk crossed his face before exiting the tent, ducking under the doorway as he went. Tristan turned back to Mahon, confused as to what the Druid meant, by a test, but knowing that he should not pry into such things. “My Lord, the men are ready for battle.”, he stated.

The words filled Mahon with a chill that was no fault of the weather. He replied softly, “I’ll be ready shortly.” dismissing Tristan without another word. Tristan looked Mahon over quickly, then left him to his thoughts.

Mahon stood up and walked over to where the armour was laid out. He had never been in battle before, barring the brief skirmish by the shore previously. He knew that this would be more of a challenge, and a deadlier one at that. He had seen the results of battle; old men missing legs, arms, ears, and even their eyes from well placed arrows would give him nightmares as a child. Even now they chilled him to recall the memories. And now he was in the middle of one that would unbeknownst to him be remembered in song and writings for centuries.

He picked up the source of his troubles; the blade Fragarach. He knew that he was no warrior, that was always Myrddich’s realm of expertise, the skill with blades. Mahon had never even picked up one until this all began. Creidhne said that it was constantly trying to communicate with him. Mahon wondered if it had any useful information for this kind of situation.

For his sake, he hoped so. Otherwise tonight may be his last.

I'm sure he'll be alright, with Fragarach's knowledge and his own wits to see him through. It will be interesting to see how Éireann will figure into all of this.

It's interesting to see Mahon start to lose his grip, as he starts to slip away from what he was.

Fiftypence said:
I'm sure he'll be alright, with Fragarach's knowledge and his own wits to see him through. It will be interesting to see how Éireann will figure into all of this.

It will be quite interesting indeed. Not going to give it away, but there's a twist or two before the end involving those two ;)

As for wits.....are you sure we're talking about the same Mahon?

stnylan said:
It's interesting to see Mahon start to lose his grip, as he starts to slip away from what he was.

Nonsense! He's just expressing himself ;)

Chapter Ten - The Deep Breath before the Plunge

Mahon look at the river below, it’s water slowly moving along it’s merry way ignoring the two groups of men near it’s banks. He pondered at it’s course as the words of Criedhne came to mind. ‘How long had this river followed this course, or even existed?’, he thought to himself. No answer came back to his internal questioning, only the sound of water and the small army on it’s opposing bank greeted his ears.

He peered into the island of light among the surrounding gloom. There seemed to be roughly five thousand men; a few singular groups along the perimeter as evident by the torches, and it looked to be about ten or so in the centre of camp next to a roaring fire, drinking and chatting up a storm. Apparently they didn’t’ think stealth was all that important due to their lookout camps that surround their position roughly five miles out in various directions. Ones that would blow a warning horn should they be witness to a large army advancing upon the core camps position.

Ones like the camp that Tristan’s small group had removed an hour or so ago to allow their advancement without detection.

Mahon turned back to the scene below of his task force. He looked out to the flat plains, waiting for Roibread’s army to advance on to their position from there. With the moon covered by cloud, the only way to tell is like very faint torchlight and the dim, brief glow of far-off lightning strikes. Mahon had figured the growing storm would have passed by the time they reached their location, but it seem to hang above their heads like an ominous pre-cursor to what may lay ahead. Normally such thing would not have troubled him, but as of late the unknown and mysterious had Mahon wondering just how much weight signs like this held. It only added to the bundle of nerves that Mahon was right now.

Someone was coming up to his perch on the top of the cliff, moving silently around the men as they prepared for battle. Men spreading out along the ridge, bows and piles of arrows in hand, ready to unleash a barrage of aerial death on his command. The person slowly advancing upon him finally arrived, his face faintly illuminated by the distant fires, but Mahon somehow already knew that it was Tristan. ‘The sword must be speaking to him yet again’, Mahon thought.

“My Lord.”, Tristan stated, kneeling beside him on the edge of the rocky cliff. “I bring news of our mission. All men in the foreword camp have been slain. None survived to warm them of our advancement.”, he exclaimed with slight fatigue and pride in his voice. His leather was stained with blood to confirm this report.

“You have done well Tristan.” he replied, swallowing the nerves that threaten to escape with each passing syllable. The young man’s face beamed with pride, a youthful vigour that Mahon hadn’t’ felt in what seemed like forever, even though they were probably the same age. “I give you the lead of the archers for this battle. Do me proud Tristan.”, he exclaimed, putting his hand on the young mans shoulder. His arm slightly twitched as he firmly held his shoulder for a few seconds, letting go as he started to feel his control of his nerves ebbing. Tristan looked slightly confused for a second at his reaction, but his pride removed that expression quickly. “Yes my Lord.”, he eagerly replied, bolting off to carry out his orders.

Mahon breathed a sigh of relief. He rubbed his hands together trying to keep them warm and busy as the chill of night began to make itself apparent. He unsheathed Fragarach, holding it before him as he tightly gripped the handle. Having a battle before him was trying enough, but waiting for it to start was horribly painful. He felt a weight forming in his guts, like he had consumed too much and it wanted to escape.

A horn blew from the plains, grabbing both Mahon’s and everyone else’s attention as they looked to see what the source was. In the brief flashes of light that lightning provided a welcomed sight appeared like ghosts. Roibread’s army had arrived, along with the other Lords accompanying it. Below shouts of confusion rang across the camp; they did not know the source, while others could not see what it was.

It was now or never. It was time to strike.

Mahon looked at the blade again. Either way this night ends with something happening. Either his freedom from this “trial” as Criedhme put it, or his own death on this battlefield. He was tired of playing this game, tired of this constant confusion, tired of the mysteries. Tonight it ends, regardless of the result.

He was done playing this deadly game.

Mahon felt his nerves melt away at this realization, as if he almost welcomed the outcome regardless of what it would be. He raised the blade above his head, archers all around lit the pitch in front of them to ignite the rags wrapped around the shafts of their arrows. They waited upon the his word, ready to unleash their red rain of flame upon their Lords enemies. Mahon dropped his sword quickly, with one hand holding it towards the enemy camp, yelling only one word to the wind; “Loose!”.

The deep breath had been taken, now the plunge begins.

I feel sorry for his enemies, for it is they who will be suffering his anger, but it is not they that are the cause of it. I suppose they will suffice, for a while, to sate him. But only, I imagine, for while. And he will spill their blood using that cursed blade, and so he will slip further into its service...

stnylan said:
I feel sorry for his enemies, for it is they who will be suffering his anger, but it is not they that are the cause of it. I suppose they will suffice, for a while, to sate him. But only, I imagine, for while. And he will spill their blood using that cursed blade, and so he will slip further into its service...
Just maybe. Vengeance is a alluring dish, but one with a bitter aftertaste. He still has a chance to avoid the fate of Fragarach's failed predecessors.

And good to see fans are still bookmarking this. I was afraid my layup wold have been terminal for this work :(

Chapter Eleven – Onto the Breach

A blinding flash of light and he instant arrival of the accompanying thunder bolted from the sky onto the usurpers camp across the river. The deafening sound and blinding light stunned many in the compound, even knocking some down from the shock and light that had blinded them. Flames licked up the stricken tree near the centre of the camp, the flames serving both as beacon for the advancing armies and ignition for the nearby tents who had already started to catch from the falling embers.

Mahon looked at the volley of arrows from both armies, their brilliant arch across the sky, leaving a trail of smoke from their sources as they rained down death and fire onto their adversaries. Screams of pain could be heard as warriors were struck and cast alight from the raining death, falling to the ground and casting anything that would burn near them into flame. Cheers of approval from the men behind and in the other army abroad confirmed their approval of the early offensive.

Mahon knew it was time.

As the arrows continued to rain down upon their enemies, Mahon grabbed Fragarach with both hands and yelled for the charge to be sounded. A low horn sounded soon after, it’s call being echoed, then answered by the accompying horn in Roibread’s company.

It had begun.

Roars bellowed from thousands of men, their rapid footsteps making the ground rumble as they charged the Munster camp. The wave of men looking as if the land itself had come alive, shadows dancing frantically until they reached the amber glow of the various fires burning within their target. Mahon and his men charged down the hill that they were perched upon, Mahon leading the way but soon overtaken by his men, mad with bloodlust and the promise of victory at hand.

As they ran down the hill, sounds of wood whizzing by began to greet their ears. Mahon looked to see some of the eager ones had fallen to the Munster archers across the river. They had reached the range of their archers, which like their own were deadly enough when accurate. Many of the men slowed up, their bloodlust tempered by the fear of being slain by a well-placed arrow as many ahead of them were cut down trying to cross the river.

Mahon ran past the men that had held up, disregarding their calls not to advance. He surveyed the scene as he advanced, already feeling the eyes of every archer across the river keying on him, sensing their bewilderment at his actions. He looked at their positions, noticing the large old trees that they were using to hide behind in between shots. ‘If only those three would fall, they would be large enough to cross the river’, thought Mahon.

Suddenly he was jerked six inches to his left, nary a second before the familiar sound of an arrow cutting through the air screamed past his ear. He looked forward, seeing two more enroute to striking his chest, the distance less then a yard away. He raised his sword and parried the incoming arrows as easily as if he would have a sword, the hard clink of metal upon metal echoing off the cliffs in the background.

Expressions of amazement greeted this act from both sides as Mahon continued to race ahead, his recently inspired men following in earnest. He looked towards the other side of the camp to the wails and shouts, seeing that Roibeard’s men had reached the perimeter of the camp and were meeting medium resistance. The archers, who Mahon could see a glimpse of both fear and rage crossing their faces had reloaded their bows and were ready to fire. Mahon grabbed his sword and held it to his right, he was about fifty yards from the banks.

Suddenly the archers stopped and ducked for cover from a perceived aerial threat. Mahon slowed up, his troops soon following suit as they arrived at his position. They looked up to see a shower of arrows all aflame falling from the heavens. He looked back to see that his own archers had changed trajectories to help clear their path. Mahon waved at Tristan, their brilliant leader whose knowledge and alertness had made their path much easier. He turned to see most the enemies lines broken, their archers retreating in both flammable and non-flammable states, opening their flank to their armies advancement to their core encampment. Mahon signalled the charge, leading the advancement briefly before being passed by men fleeter of foot and with greater thirst for battle.

A loud, drawn out creaking sound greeted their ears as the flames had eaten through the base of one of the larger oaks that sparsely dotted the shoreline, it battle with gravity finally being lost. It crashed into the river, the flames being extinguished in a large cloud of steam as it just bridged the two sides together. The men leading the charge did not so much as flinch, but instead jumped on and over, disappearing into the fog that the steam had provided as cover. Mahon leaped onto the steaming tree and ran foreword through the steam blindly.

He emerged on the other side, jumping off the tree to land in the soft silt of the riverbed. The barrage had ended, but it was quite effective as evident by the smell of charred flesh and smoldering bodies that decorated the shoreline. Mahon advanced upon what looked to be the front lines. Ahead were about one hundred of his men engaging the enemy, who were quite thin of personnel from how it looked. Mahon smiled; his plan had worked. The bulk of Mug’s forces had been distracted to Roibread’s division, leaving his company to hit the soft underbelly.

He smiled a confident smile as he ran towards the front line. He liked his chances of not only surviving this battle, but maybe even winning it.

Last edited:
And so the sword grips him ever tighter. How long before he relies upon it, rather upon himself, to win his battles?

In the meantime, this particular battle is going rather well indeed. It is what happens immediately afterwards, I must admit, that interests me more than the result.

stnylan said:
And so the sword grips him ever tighter. How long before he relies upon it, rather upon himself, to win his battles?

Well thats' the interesting thing with symbiotic relationships isnt' it? When both pull together in harmony, they can achieve great things. But when one fails to live up to it's bargain.....

stnylan said:
In the meantime, this particular battle is going rather well indeed. It is what happens immediately afterwards, I must admit, that interests me more than the result.

I kind of figured that would be the thought. Actually this was going to be one update, but for some reason the forum kept timing out when I did the complete post so I just chopped it in half. That and I find that doing battle scenes to be a hard balance between keeping the reader entertained, and keeping them satisfied that it wasnt' rushed. Listening to heavy metal helps :D

CanadianCreed,

Sorry I've not stopped by before now.

I've just kind of skipped around so far... Trying to get votes in for the AARLand Choice Awards, which is my priority for the evening.

But this is remarkably well written! I will definitely come back to read from the beginning, and get into the sense of the story.

I do hope you intend to continue. I presume you do, but are perhaps just taking your time, as the updates seem rather widely spaced.

Great work!

Rensslaer

Thanks for the post :) To answer your question I plan to get back to doing this, haven't been around too often due to RL concerns (aka starting up a company), but I've been working on some new chapters that I hope to have up soonish.

Stay tuned.

Chapter Twelve – Just A Taste

Mahon headed towards the chaos of the front lines, his men following him in a constant dim of footfalls upon the earth. Ahead the cries of men locked in the heat of battle raged on unabated. Sounds of swords, maces and spears clanging against their opponent’s weapons, the cries of pain of the fallen and screams of the victorious rang out in a melody to the art of war. As he grew closer to the front lines, he could the faces of his opposition registering their upcoming arrival and most had the expression of shock as if they did not expect to be flanked.

Mahon smiled at this realization as the clang of metal greeted his ears from the meeting of his men and theirs just ahead.

A young man, no older then he would be somehow alluded his men and charged towards him, sword raised high. It glistened with the blood of fallen soldiers before him as did the young mans tunic. Mahon moved his sword with newfound grace, in a fluid motion that even he was surprised to see and in one silent slice, the young man would never raise another sword again. His right arm spiralled as if thrown into the crowd, blood spurting out of it in rhythmic spurts as his cries of pain soon echoed in Mahon’s ears. The young man dropped like a fallen tree, clutching what was once his elbow in an expression of shock and fear.

Mahon did not notice this, for he wheeled around to his right quickly to find three soldiers almost upon him. His blade found two of theirs in mid-swing; breaking them both in half. The third man swung his shield at him, hitting the hilt of his blade as wood met bone. It was enough to knock him off balance and crash into the mud below as two of his attackers started at their broken swords. Mahon realized that he did not have his sword, he must have lost it in the fall and been covered with mud! He frantically searched around for the blade as the third lunged towards him, sending his sword in a plunging motion to pin him right to the ground.

At the last second Mahon felt something metal against his fingers. He grabbed it quickly and threw it at the solider as he roared his battle cry, almost upon him. The piece of broken sword flew from Mahon’s hand and with a sickening squish, sunk itself between the attacker’s eyes. The roar that had emanated from his lips quickly died to a gurgle as his eyes instantly glassed over, his charge stopped in mid-stride before slowing falling to his side, completely shuffling his mortal coil by the time he hit the ground.

Mahon looked to see his well-placed shot, his hand finally finding the blade as his foe landed. He got up on one knee, still in amazement at what he had done. His skill with the blade, in battle, this must be what Creidhne meant when he said that the blade communicates with its wielder. It was as if the blade had nullified his one weakness, his one Achilles heel in this world. A feeling of confidence began to build within his soul, one that had rarely seen the light of day, one that would be unleashed by the actions proceeding this moment.

‘I know how to use this sword then I ever thought possible.’ he thought as he slowly rose.

“I can vanquish any foe that challenges Me.”, he said aloud as he finally stood up, but few heard as it was drowned out by the sound of battle.

“I will smite them all!”, he bellowed out as he raised the sword in front of him, the feeling of confidence, knowledge, and power all like electricity coursing through every part of his body. A grin formed on his face highlighted by the strike of lightening flashing nearby as he focused upon the soldiers that he had shattered their weapons. They had finally risen and had looked to be ready to charge him.

But not now.

Their expressions switched quickly from one of rage and bloodlust to one of shock and fear. Their complexion went pale; their feet looked to be almost rooted in place as if fear had frozen them. Mahon then heard a voice, whispering inside his mind, one that was vaguely familiar to him.

‘Taste their fear.’

‘They would have killed you if they were just a bit faster. They all would.’

‘Vanquish them.’

‘Claim your victory. Strike them down like harvest wheat and take what you deserve.’

It was different this time, more soothing, calming, more like a mentor or a close friend then the guttural voice that greeted Mahon before upon the beach. This time, he did not fear it. In fact, he expected it, welcomed its return almost like an old friend. He replied to it with one sentence.

“Yes. I shall.”

As the two soldiers started to find their feet, beginning to run from what they had just seen but it was too late. Mahon lunged ahead at almost inhuman speed, landing upon them in an instance as the blade sliced downwards in his wake. One of the soldiers had raised his shield to deflect the blow, but it was cleaved in two as if it was made of cloth. The shield-bearing soldier fell hard to the ground, seeing his partner run through as Mahon plunged his sword through his chest right to the hilt. Mahon kicked off his fallen prey, disregarding the spray of blood as his opponent fell, his sights already upon his next prey.

The shield-bearing soldier turned himself over upon his back, his chest aching from landing upon the broken shield, his head from landing upon the ground. As he turned he saw Mahon standing over him. He whispered something illegible, his shaking hands frantically making the sign of the cross as Mahon plunged the blade down through his chest. As the shield-bearer felt his life splatter upon his armour, his assailant ripped the blade out of his punctured chest and let out an unearthly roar of triumph, the bloodlust of battle fully gripping him as his recent kill slowly faded from this world.

Mahon plunged into the heart of Mug’s army, felling the enemies’ forces like a scythe through grain. He could never remember just what possessed him during them. It was as if he was completely gripped within the throngs of battle, sensing what his opponents would do before even they knew their actions. As he continued to work his way closer to the centre he saw the leader of this army and his guards on a slight rise over the rest of the chaos below. Mug Nuada, the King of Munster was right now able to avoid the fray that raged below him, his guards vanquishing what little opposition made it to his hilltop. Mahon redoubled his efforts to head for the one man that would stop this battle, one way or another.

Mug looked towards the battle that his forces, while valiantly fighting the good fight, were slowly losing. He cursed Roibeard and the other treacherous leaders of the Northern nations for siding against him, and Conn for somehow finding a weakness against what was sure to be a secure location. His expression became as black as the sky as he saw his flank being attacked from across the river.

And then something unusual happened. What looked to be their champion was ploughing through his men with little resistance, heading towards his temporary keep. He gestured to his guards at this newest threat, ordering them to take care of it with only a glance. They nodded and slowly advanced to the perimeter, their swords drawn, ready for battle.

Mahon crashed into them like a wave against a sandbank, knocking back two of the guards with his latest victims body as he kicked it out of the way, while fluidly turning to deliver a hard chop to the closest guard, decapitating him swiftly before he could even parry the blow. The only standing guard left looked at the headless corpse standing there as if by sheer willpower, then turned back to this aggressor; raising his sword just in time to parry a well delivered blow. The hit bent the guard’s sword slightly, but glanced off harmlessly to the side. Mahon quickly glanced to his right, seeing that the two guards he had knocked over in his charge were getting to their feet. Mahon shot a quick thrust of the hilt towards the standing guard’s face, the metal of the hilt making a fierce crunching sound against the brittle bone of the bridge of his opponent’s nose. His quarry stopped in mid thrust, his blade being only inches from Mahon’s liver as his nostrils flowed forth with blood from the recent wound. He took the sword and thrusted the blade behind him, the sound of metal sliding into the soft guts of one of the two guards left greeted his ears.

But the second guard, being much closer then Mahon had anticipated , landed a hard blow with his mace against his left shoulder, the sound of bone breaking against the metal head of the mace preceded the blinding scream of pain that bombarded Mahon’s brain. He fell foreword, left side first, as he held out his right hand to brace the impact. Mahon crashed into the ground, the mud below spurting out on all sides from under his body. He took his right hand, wiping off the mud from his eyes as he realized that he was unable to feel his left arm, the blow having dis-located it from his shoulder. A bolt of lighting illuminated a large shadow directly behind him and he realized that it was the last guard, and he was about to deliver a finishing blow! He turned to his right just as the mace crashed into the soft mud, making a splattering sound and sending mud into his attacker’s eyes.

He looked to see that his sword was now serving as a marker to where his latest victim lay, the blade sticking straight up from the mans stomach. His attacker continued to swing madly at air, cursing profusely as he tried to clear his vision. Mahon cursed; it was too far to run to obtain the sword from his previous victim, and his attacker while blinded, was still armed. In a flash, Mahon kicked his attacker hard, landing a solid blow on the side of his knee as a loud pop told both attacker and prey that he would not be standing on it for quite some time. The guard roared in pain, crashing hard to the ground with a hard crunch. Mahon looked to see that he had landed against a rock buried in the mud forehead first, his blood mixing with the mud in a putrid burgundy soup.

Mahon whipped the mud from his brow as he up to the slight hill where Mug now stood. With a slight grimace and a shout of pain, he ran his shoulder into the nearest tree, the sound of bone popping into socket being loudly heard. He walked over to his victim holding his sword upright for him, his blood starting to run as the rain started to come down hard against his lifeless corpse. Mahon quickly pulled the blade out of its living sheath, drops of blood and bits of intestines followed the exit of the blade from the wound. He looked up at his last opponent, The King of Munster, Mug Nuada.

This would decide his fate, and end this in more ways then one.

Mahon smiled at that thought.

Mug grabbed his large metal shield and mace, his expression one of rage and annoyance as he watched who he believed was Lord Conn’s army defeat his, that he killed his best guards and now came for him. ‘Let this usurper come!’ he swore. ‘His army may win the day, but I will make sure he doesn’t relish the victory!’

Quickly Mahon advanced up towards Mug’s position, grabbing the blade for a downward slice as the rain began to come down almost in sheets. Mug raised his shield, almost as tall as a man, and blocked the hard blow with a loud clang. The blow was harder then Mug expected, throwing his counter-attack off balance as his mace shaved past Mahon’s forehead, the spikes grazing Mahon enough to cut him slightly. Mahon glared hard at his opponent, and with a roar kicked towards him swiftly, landing a hard blow against his left abdomen. Mug flew back a few feet, his shield flying off his forearm and crashing down the hill, his mace following suit in the other direction as he rolled into where his guard’s weapons were stored, lying against a tree at the top of the hill.

Mug raised himself up, shaking his head to remove the dizziness from his eyes. He heard Mahon advancing quickly, his footfalls against the soft earth growing louder. Mug grabbed a dagger close to his location and in one fluid motion turned and dove for his quarry, the dagger leading the charge. Mahon moved at the last second to dodge the surprise attack, but blade stuck him in the fleshy part of the hip; not deep, but enough to make a wide gash.

Mahon turned to see the cut, the blood slowly soaking the torn wet cloth, but instead of pain, a new sensation built within him. Rage, mindless rage consumed his mind fully. He swiftly grabbed Mug by the neck, lifting him off the ground with ease even though they were roughly the same size. Mug’s face wrinkled with the effort of freeing himself and trying to breathe, his face stating to go pale from the lack of blood being sent by Mahon’s strong grip on his throat. With a roar, Mahon threw him across Mug’s command compound as if he was a sack of potatoes, landing against the trunk of another thick tree.

Mug‘s crumpled body laid on the ground in a heap as he slowly moved to right himself. His head was spinning from the impact of bone against wood, his mind screaming in fear to run, escape from this….thing! He looked up to see Mahon standing over him, like an ominous obelisk as dark as night from the shadow cast by the lighting strike behind him. Only the massive blade held in his right hand and his long hair proved that it was a man, or at least the guise of the man. Mug could not speak, his mind gripped with fear for what he now saw. ‘No mortal thing could do what this has done, no mortal makes sounds like this’, his mind screamed at him constantly.

And then he noticed his eyes. Like the fires of Hell itself, they glowed with a red fire that destroyed Mug’s last reserve of courage. He yelled out to his attacker “What…..what manner of devil are you?!” the scent of fear thick in his voice.

Like coming to the end of a thick fog, Mug’s words pulled Mahon out of his state. The memories of what had happened over the past few moments all were clear to him, as if he had done everything himself, but again not by himself. Mug’s words flashed the one soldiers last actions squarely into view; his face of fear as if he had seen the devil himself, making the sign of the cross before Mahon had slain him. Was this man right? What has happened to him?

Mug looked at Mahon, confused as to his hesitation. He looked at his eyes and saw the red Hellish glow fade from them. ‘Perhaps the devil inside is losing the battle?’ Mug thought. He decided to take advantage of this momentarily lapse. He grabbed a fallen branch that was on the ground beside the tree and with all his might swung at Mahon’s hand that held the blade. As the branch neared its’ target, Mahon’s expression swiftly changed back, quickly moving out of the way of the blow.

Mug knew at that moment, that he would die.

As he began to cross himself, Mahon sliced through both his neck and most of the tree behind him in one swift spinning motion. The dis-jointed skull flopped upon the ground, its former owner’s look of fear permanently frozen upon its face. The rain suddenly stopped, as did the battle as everyone looked to see the large tree slowly plummet to the ground below, landing with a dry crack from its dead branches hitting the earth hard.

Mahon slowly walked over to Mug’s head, picking it up with his left hand by the hair and walked to the end of the hill. Both armies stared at this sight, wondering just what had happened atop the hill; who had won the battle. As he reached the end of the hill, he felt the bloodlust or whatever it was that had overtaken him slowly fading from him, like the ending of a dream. But as he looked at the head of his slain opponent, he knew it was not a dream. The petrified face staring back at him was all too real, it’s words beginning to ring louder in Mahon’s mind by the minute.

He lifted the head of Mug to the resounding cheers of Roibread and the armies led by him. As the cheers echoed against the northern cliffs, Mahon tossed the head into the crowd and roared, “Behold your new King!” His men chanted back in unison “All Hail King Conn!” chanting it over and over again with passion as only the victorious can do. Mahon raised the sword over his head to acknowledge the crowd, but his thoughts were not on the victory like he had planned, or the finishing of this test that he had followed into.

His mind kept playing Mug’s reaction to him, over and over in his mind it played like a bad dream. ‘What manner of devil are you?’ he said. Had he been possessed? If so, had he lost his immortal soul? What exactly happened to him there that would drive a battle hardened veteran to be almost frozen in fear of me?

A bolt of lightening struck the sword as Mahon held it high, blinding Mahon’s sight to the glow of pure white everywhere. He did not fear it, unlike last time he had a good idea of exactly where he would end up. But the thoughts nagged him, like guilt at his heart.

He may have passed the tests that he had faced…but at what cost would it demand of him in the end?

Last edited: