• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Avindian

People's Commissar of the Navy
120 Badges
Jan 3, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2 Beta
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
*The title refers to a common complaint of Belgians when Belgium and the Netherlands were united after Napoleon; they claimed that the Dutch were, ahem, adjusting electoral returns to suit themselves. (For history buffs, my introduction to the term comes from Merriman's History of Modern Europe.)

It's Avindian again, with yet another Victoria II AAR. After successfully completing my last AAR, Reliving the Restoration, I let my readAARs vote on the country for my next AAR, which is where we are today. I played the Netherlands once in vanilla Vicky 2, but never with AHD, so this should be a unique experience for me (and hopefully you!)

House rules
1. No cheating.
2. No gamey tactics.
3. No ragequit.
4. If I fail to make significant gains against Belgium in my first war against them, I must enact the "Treaty of London Decision" (significant gains defined as taking at least one state).
5. No going over the infamy limit (although I reserve the right to remove this restriction if things get dull towards the end. ;))
6. I must take any and all political reforms as soon as they become available, to simulate the republican nature of the Netherlands.
7. I must abide by the results of any elections for at least two years.

Goals
1. Conquer Belgium.
2. Become a Great Power.
3. Expand in SE Asia.
4. If possible, build the Suez Canal.
5. Make gains in Africa.
6. (Super crazy goal) -- Successfully invade the British Isles, in a much bloodier Glorious Revolution.

This will be mostly a gameplay AAR. I don't want to embarrass myself by referring to Dutch history, which I know very little about, although I welcome any such thoughts from our audience. The first update (pre-pause stuff) will be this weekend; I hope to update this at least once a week, with each update covering roughly one election cycle (as events dictate).

EDIT: I'm, of course, going with an 1836 start.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Always love Netherlands AARs, unite the Lowlands, fight another Anglo-Dutch war, and try to take back all those lands GB took when Napoleon invaded while your at it :p

It'll be nice to see Belgium carried to glory, even if only by the efforts of the Dutch.

No goal of seizing Aruba or anything else of the current Dutch Caribbean? Granted, it'd be anachronistic as all hell, but I'd like to see more of a presence in the New World this time. (Hawaii and Alaska just weren't enough)

It'll be nice to see Belgium carried to glory, even if only by the efforts of the Dutch.

No goal of seizing Aruba or anything else of the current Dutch Caribbean? Granted, it'd be anachronistic as all hell, but I'd like to see more of a presence in the New World this time. (Hawaii and Alaska just weren't enough)

I think they already start with Aruba and St. Martin

Well, signed up of course.

Wow, this looks awesome. We were so far behind Montenegro in EU3 when I voted that I thought this would never win. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the AAR, and remember, make as many states as you can, that is the dutch weakness. if you can get Belgium out of the British sphere before the sign an alliance, taking Belgium is easy. However, the Netherlands does not start as a great power, so you will have to be quick. by the way, TRY TO ALLY GB. France will not declare war on you then. I usually send one alliance offer to GB and one to Prussia.

Dude, this will be awesome as all your AARs :)

Well, if you're going to be mucking around with my homeland and attempting to bring the Belgians back into the Netherlands' loving embrace, then I'll tag along and see how you fare. :)

Your second take on the Glorious Revolution (A More Glorious Revolution?) sounds very ambitious - but you could always settle for trying to reclaim Nieuw Amsterdam (it was after all Dutch money that bought the beads that stole legitimately purchased the island of Manhattan - time to reclaim that investment).

it was after all Dutch money that bought the beads that stole legitimately purchased the island of Manhattan - time to reclaim that investment.

Wasn't that about 20 guilders? Or goods worth that amount? Quite little to go to war for :)

Always love Netherlands AARs, unite the Lowlands, fight another Anglo-Dutch war, and try to take back all those lands GB took when Napoleon invaded while your at it :p

Why not? If we're going to shoot for the moon, might as well throw in the sun. :)

These are my basic goals; I always allow for opportunism, naturally!

I think they already start with Aruba and St. Martin

Quite right.

Too bad the no purge Soviet AAR lost in the voting....
Will follow regardless, can't wait until you complete your final goal of invading GB...

I've wanted to do that AAR for a while -- if I had TFH, I would have just done that one and ignored the vote. If/when I get TFH and I have time, I'll definitely do that one too.

Well, signed up of course.

Excellent!

Wow, this looks awesome. We were so far behind Montenegro in EU3 when I voted that I thought this would never win. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the AAR, and remember, make as many states as you can, that is the dutch weakness. if you can get Belgium out of the British sphere before the sign an alliance, taking Belgium is easy. However, the Netherlands does not start as a great power, so you will have to be quick. by the way, TRY TO ALLY GB. France will not declare war on you then. I usually send one alliance offer to GB and one to Prussia.

Sound advice; I will certainly consider this.

Can't wait for another Avindian AAR! :)

Glad to see such a devoted fan!

Looking forward to this!

I'm looking forward to playing this one.

Signed up for this, naturally.

Excellent!

No Montenegro, but this sounds really fun as well. I'm looking forward to it.

There's still a certain level of attraction to Montenegro, I must admit. If I get some time, I might try it out just for fun.

Dude, this will be awesome as all your AARs :)

Glad you think so!

Well, if you're going to be mucking around with my homeland and attempting to bring the Belgians back into the Netherlands' loving embrace, then I'll tag along and see how you fare. :)

Your second take on the Glorious Revolution (A More Glorious Revolution?) sounds very ambitious - but you could always settle for trying to reclaim Nieuw Amsterdam (it was after all Dutch money that bought the beads that stole legitimately purchased the island of Manhattan - time to reclaim that investment).

Wasn't that about 20 guilders? Or goods worth that amount? Quite little to go to war for :)

Hmm... going after NYC is less ambitious than invading the UK? Interesting.

I'll definitely be following this. I'm sure this AAR will continuously remind me to get AHD and start a Netherlands game myself.

Glad to have you along!

Oranje boven!

I'll be following.

Uh... yeah, what you said. :) Glad to have you!

Maybe you'll get lucky and the Manhattan Commune will emerge, letting you nab it without having to go to war with the USA.

(Just don't plan your game's strategy around that possibility :p)