• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good start! Focusing on peace in Europe and war in south-east Asia seems optimal at this stage.

Subbing - just started playing 1.4 again - well Divergences mod but back in the 19th century anyway.

I had no idea the Dutch still had slavery in 1836. I've learned something today, always a lovely fringe benefit with PDS games. I'm going to put the Nationalists into power once I've got the cash to build factories, but I'm not going State Capitalism yet in case my capitalists get frisky. At this stage in the game, any factory is better than no factory.
I didn't either. The Dutch apparently abolished it just two years before the U.S. did. Given the political screen, I doubt you'll be able to end it that early, but who knows? You've surprised yourself; surprising your readers shouldn't be that hard.

Going to try to do anything about the Java Sunnis, or leave a tutorial on Cultural and Religious Assimilation to another VicII AAR?

Y U NO invade Belgium?

Yes, another Avindian AAR! I missed out on your Japan one, but I see I found this one in time. :)

It's okay to still read it, honest! :)

Good start! Focusing on peace in Europe and war in south-east Asia seems optimal at this stage.

Glad I'm not insane. Well, I might still be insane.

Subbing - just started playing 1.4 again - well Divergences mod but back in the 19th century anyway.

I've heard good things about the mod, but haven't tried it yet.

I didn't either. The Dutch apparently abolished it just two years before the U.S. did. Given the political screen, I doubt you'll be able to end it that early, but who knows? You've surprised yourself; surprising your readers shouldn't be that hard.

Going to try to do anything about the Java Sunnis, or leave a tutorial on Cultural and Religious Assimilation to another VicII AAR?

I have absolutely no idea how to assimilate populations in this game. None. I've never bothered, but if you have some tips, please feel free to share them!

I am surprised Bali is not on your list of East Indies countries to annex.

I didn't think Bali was independent in 1836, but a quick check shows that they are. I'd put them fourth in the hypothetical list, since they have the least benefit for annexation; they might even wait until Nationalism and Imperialism, because 10 infamy (possibly) for an OPM seems kind of silly.

Y U NO invade Belgium?

Soon, my friend. Soon! :)

Looking cool as always Avindian. Just wanted to mention that you can RADICALLY change your political situation with party loyalty NFs. Oh, And the Dutch Capitalists, if you encourage them, do tend to get rather frisky. In my last game as the Dutch, I had the #2 Industrial score for a while just cause I would be getting 5 new factories a year every year.

Looking cool as always Avindian. Just wanted to mention that you can RADICALLY change your political situation with party loyalty NFs. Oh, And the Dutch Capitalists, if you encourage them, do tend to get rather frisky. In my last game as the Dutch, I had the #2 Industrial score for a while just cause I would be getting 5 new factories a year every year.

Hmm... perhaps something to consider?

Played through 1842, which seems a reasonable stopping point (for now); should have one update, maybe two, with this material. I'm going to work on the screenshots in a minute or two, with the actual update coming tomorrow.

As far as assimilation goes: Residency bad, Full Citizenship good; Moralism good, Atheism bad. :)

In vanilla I would chastise you for not going after Aceh first (one of the first things I learned from badger_ken's AARs is that Aceh is a great source of tea.) but I have noticed that Britain spheres Johor far quicker in AHD than it used to, so getting them first is a good strategy. I would've relied on Clergy to boost literacy and gone after medicine first thing to get the PAM invention ASAP. As for Belgium, I'm shocked you didn't go for them before your European armies disband but perhaps it's for the best? If you get lucky, the French might kick Belgium out of Britain's sphere saving you from British intervention in a Dutch-Belgian war!

As far as assimilation goes: Residency bad, Full Citizenship good; Moralism good, Atheism bad. :)

In vanilla I would chastise you for not going after Aceh first (one of the first things I learned from badger_ken's AARs is that Aceh is a great source of tea.) but I have noticed that Britain spheres Johor far quicker in AHD than it used to, so getting them first is a good strategy. I would've relied on Clergy to boost literacy and gone after medicine first thing to get the PAM invention ASAP. As for Belgium, I'm shocked you didn't go for them before your European armies disband but perhaps it's for the best? If you get lucky, the French might kick Belgium out of Britain's sphere saving you from British intervention in a Dutch-Belgian war!

Clear, concise advice: I like it! :)

badger_ken was a superb AAR writer, it's a shame he's gone from the forums now. What do you mean by "European Armies disband?" I had no intention of doing that.

Clear, concise advice: I like it! :)

badger_ken was a superb AAR writer, it's a shame he's gone from the forums now. What do you mean by "European Armies disband?" I had no intention of doing that.

From a lack of soldier POPs in Europe. Importing troops from Java can be a pain, even with the Suez Canal...

Actually in my experience beating Belgium early is the best choice. The chance of Britain intervening is small if you call e.g. France or Prussia into the war (or both), and even if they do, you can occupy all of Belgium and annex them & wait for Britain to sign a white peace.

No, but you can't replace them. I think that's what Tanzhang was getting at.
You can, it just takes longer.

Actually in my experience beating Belgium early is the best choice. The chance of Britain intervening is small if you call e.g. France or Prussia into the war (or both), and even if they do, you can occupy all of Belgium and annex them & wait for Britain to sign a white peace.
This was my experience in Vanilla as well. However, you need to watch the Brits in SE Asia. A few small fleets around Java should keep them from landing and being a royal (no pun intended) pain in the ass.

I'm curious how this will go, now that you're taking a different tactic. The only problem with waiting for France to un-sphere (as Tanzhang suggested) is that both France and Britain will be Friendly to Belgium, and both might intervene. Good luck!

I was assuming the plan was to invade Belgium after the Netherlands become a GP and reduce British and French influence on Belgium below friendly. I've never tried it myself, but if the Brits and French subvert each other and the Dutch focus all their influence on it, it should be doable.

You can, it just takes longer.

This was my experience in Vanilla as well. However, you need to watch the Brits in SE Asia. A few small fleets around Java should keep them from landing and being a royal (no pun intended) pain in the ass.

I'm curious how this will go, now that you're taking a different tactic. The only problem with waiting for France to un-sphere (as Tanzhang suggested) is that both France and Britain will be Friendly to Belgium, and both might intervene. Good luck!

I was assuming the plan was to invade Belgium after the Netherlands become a GP and reduce British and French influence on Belgium below friendly. I've never tried it myself, but if the Brits and French subvert each other and the Dutch focus all their influence on it, it should be doable.

Lots of interesting thoughts on how to deal with the Belgian problem. As you'll see in the next update (coming soon!), my situation is better now, but worse in terms of Europe (through no fault of my own.)