• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well Vietnam didn't last long, and now war in Korea. No hanging around, as it were.

Well Vietnam didn't last long, and now war in Korea. No hanging around, as it were.
Indeed, Vietnam's collapse totally took me by surprise. But I'm already planning some events for late 50's or early 60's to keep situation interesting.

:p Regarding Korea, well, I think that after the fall of Vietnam the South would try to improve their own defences in case of a north attack, so, I improved by 2 levels the fortress at Busan.

Chapter I: The Red March through Asia. (Part II)
Chapter I: The Red March through Asia. (Part II)
"As a child growing up during the Korean War, I knew poverty. I studied by candlelight." - Ban Ki-moon, former Secretary-General of the United Nations.
-----------------------------------------------
Dubrovnik, United Nations Transitional Authority in Dalmatia. ~ June 6th, 2018.

Years have passed since the destruction of the last war, people fled, others took the weapons and tried to defend their city, others perished trying to fight the occupation but eventually; none was left to rebuild, not after the worst weapons were deployed. The city's population consists of refugees, civilians that came back and the korean, british and canadian soldiers exercising the role of peacekeepers; there were still issues at the region and that was the reason for the continued presence of the UN peacekeepers.
However, rumours said that the UNTAD would soon leave Dalmatia, spreading fear among the population, neither serbs, croats nor italians wanted to join a country; as all the options were dangerous for each minority.

"What do they want?" ~ Im Sun-ja thought for herself. "They have reluctant to join any country in the area and we obviously can't hand them back to Italy. We can't stay neither."
Sun-ja had been sad and angry, after all, it was June 6th, the Memorial Day back home. A day to honor the deaths of those who gave everything for Korea, but, in her mind she could only ask one thing.
"Is getting shot at here part of our duty to protect Korea?"

She used to believe in her duty, in everything she came to do at Dalmatia. But time eventually changed things, however, it wasn't time the one who killed her sister.

Im Ji-won.
Volunteer for a humanitarian aid NGO, killed during an assault by serb militias.
1997-2017.
Ji-won wasn't part of the army, she wasn't giving her life for her country; she did that to help innocent civilians, but people couldn't understand that. That was the reason behind Sun-ja's anger, Ji-won received almost no recognition for her efforts just because he was only a volunteer. People back home even told her; "That was her fault, why was she there?" or the worst of all "Couldn't you protect her?".
But that was truth, she had not been able to take care of her and now; she was dead, shot numerous times by some thugs who felt superior than the people Ji-won was protecting.

Modern History: Korea. - Wade Barnett.

26th June (1).jpg

The Battle of Seoul started on June 26th, it lasted only a day but the North Korean advance was slowed a bit thanks to the preparations ordered by president Rhee. Casualties were (approx figures) 3500 for SK and 1200 for NK.
Everyone was evacuated from the city after the Battle for Seoul began, the bridge over the Han river was blown up trapping an infantry division at the other side of it, slowing down the North Korean Army for some hours. While Syngman Rhee prepared defenses all over the country he focused on the south, considering that if the north noticed it they would invade sooner. The evacuation of the government was done smoothly and they relocated in Busan, considering it to be the best point to resist the North Korean advance.
However, while The Great Retreat took place Rhee left orders for the army and the police; communist sympathizers or other left-wing leaning groups had to be rounded up. He was sure that North Korea had agents all over the country to wreck havoc and aid their own forces, he suddenly ordered the execution of thousands of political prisioners presumably linked with communist forces from the north.

One of the first countries to answer the South Korean's pleas for help was Australia. The australian government knew that a communist Korea would be a threat to the order in the Pacific region and they decided to send thousands of supplies for the ROK Army, advisors and a small token force to reinforce the positions at Busan.
Their aid wasn't decisive, but Syngman Rhee was thankful for it. Soon United States chose to deploy some troops towards Busan as well along sending supplies, Truman had taken a choice; it was now or never. If he didn't act the communists would continue to roll over asian countries, spreading their ideology; a line had to be drawn.

30th June (4).jpg

The Battle of Chuncheon started on June 30th, it lasted several days. The Republic of Korea Army tried their best to stop the North Korean advance, however, tanks and artillery arrived and crushed the South Korean morale in matter of hours.
The North Koreans were advancing quite fast and the United Nations nor United States had taken yet a decisive action in support of Korea, it was clear that if they took more time to choose there would be no country to help. The invading forces were quite fast but that was a huge disadvantage that would bite them later as logistics were getting complicated by their long supply lines.
Right now, it wasn't an issue but at the end of the month they would feel the pressure.

At the beginning, the South Korean morale was quite high, they felt that everyone in the world would rush to their aid and that wasn't happening. Their weaponry was more limited, they had nothing to fight the tanks pushing through their lines, some simple explosives were used but those weren't capable of damaging the armored vehicles from the North Korean Army. Eventually, planes began doing raids as well, pounding the south korean supply lines and creating utter chaos behind them.
The worst morale hit took place in July 1st, 1950, when the North Koreans were able to take Seoul after crushing token resistance groups.

The day after Seoul felt, the United Nations Security Council made public their decision.
They would send everything to help South Korea, they wouldn't tolerate another red invasion, of course, they only managed to pass their resolution thanks to the Soviet Union's absence after they chose to boycott the organization after United States refused to grant the People's Republic of China a seat or recognition.

1st July (5).jpg

The United Nations decided to support South Korea, considering this wasn't enough United States sent their own help, troops from Japan along equipment; they even deployed naval and air assets.

The war was proving to be a huge failure for South Korea, soldiers of dubious loyalty were retreating southwards while some were even defecting to the North. It was a complete mess, the token task force sent by United States was suddenly crushed by North Korean tanks.
Truman's budget cuts were felt by the army at those moments. After that disaster the 24th Infantry Division was flown from Japan towards Busan, the south korean Chief of Staff ordered a general retreat towards Busan; after all, that was the most fortified city in the country and with their port facilities it would be easier to receive supplies or troops from Japan.

The quick withdrawal towards Busan left several cities undefended, they easily fell to the North Korean Army, however, sporadic bombing raids by the United States helped to weaken the main force and their supply lines. Their advance was fast but they couldn't supply their own forces at the same speed, it was a race against time and Kim Il-sung knew it, if they didn't crush Busan before the offensive halted their situation would be the worst.
Americans knew this as well, specially Douglas MacArthur, he ordered bombing raids against the supply lines and the deployment of more bomber groups to Japan; he had only one chance to save the peninsula and he was determined to do it properly.

14th July (9).jpg

South Korean Army positions by July 16th, the night bombing raids by United States slowed down the movement by the KPA. Eventually the North Koreans chose to advance only at night, the safest option.
The Korean People's Army after several days managed to arrive to the front, they were weakened after the bombing raids, their supply lines were overextended and the morale was slowly crumbling as a side-effect of the numerous raids ordered by MacArthur. The KPA initially received some supporters as they were seen as the ones who could stop Rhee's terrible persecution of the opposition, however, they suddenly began to round up the civil servants and intellectuals at South Korea.

Meanwhile, MacArthur did everything to supply Busan, he was decided to avoid the defeat. He sent more troops and equipment to help the defenders and eventually, the Soviet Union chose to send more help to Kim Il-sung, tanks, planes, advisors, artillery; however, Stalin decided that soviet troops wouldn't get involved directly as that could trigger a nuclear war.
The fear was real, if something went wrong at this war, the world could pay the price for it. The Korean War was causing an impressive amount of destruction and death, however Japan's economy was able to benefit from the conflict as they served as suppliers of firearms and other materials and they also eased the logistical concerns.

16th July (10).jpg

The 1st Battle of Busan started on July 23th, thousands of North Korean soldiers arrived at later dates to turn the tide, however, american reinforcements kept arriving to the Busan Perimeter. Estimated casualties of this battle: 70,000 NK, 60,000 SK-UN-USA.
The KPA was decided to take Busan while MacArthur was decided to achieve his greatest victory since World War Two ended so he started to plan a dangerous assault to destroy the North's supply lines. It involved using two divisions of marines deployed at Japan to realize a landing at Inchon. He planned it in a rush way, however, he thought it had a huge chance of success; after all, the KPA was already heavily weakened and their reinforcements were kilometers again, they had only one chance to take Busan.

26th July (13).jpg

The 1st Battle of Busan would eventually finish until August 5th, they didn't know it at the time but their offensive had been smashed. However, they would attempt it once more several days after.
PUSAN.jpg

Soldiers of the U.S 27th Division await North Korean attacks across the Naktong River, from positions on the Busan Perimeter, August 6th, 1950.

Seoul.jpg

Combats in Seoul, some South Korean soldiers stayed and fought against the KPA occupation, they managed to resist until American Marines freed the city; their story was turned into a movie in 2004 called: "War Brotherhood: Seoul".
Here we have the first update of the Korean War, it focuses on the Initial Offensive made by the North.

Once again, thanks to @Ericafaq for giving me an amazing skin for Korea.
Hope you enjoyed it, if you would like me to write a scene of the (obviously fake) movie I mentioned tell me and I'll try to write something off. ^^

How about the transport system of Korea i.e. subway, expressway, airports? Interested to know further.
Oh well, I'll eventually mention it. :p
My "present" day updates are meant to give a little hint about what future awaits us.

But I'm already working with ideas for new economic events, many regarding the north of the peninsula and further choices for development so I'll soon also talk about their economy and development, by now it's basically the same Korea that was considered a thirld world country :p

Another hint::
I'm currently working to create "nations" to represent soviet and american proxies.

The battle of Busan was truly remarkable and heroic (and unfortunately almost have been forgotten) battle in OTL, and seems like this time line too.
The mod well simulates the early war progress,in which once defended Busan, the south's victory would be assured.

The battle of Busan was truly remarkable and heroic (and unfortunately almost have been forgotten) battle in OTL, and seems like this time line too.
The mod well simulates the early war progress,in which once defended Busan, the south's victory would be assured.
Indeed, it was such an important battle, if South Korea and USA had lost it, well, today we would have one Korea...but it would be awful.
In this Timeline it was quite important, my units were kinda fresh when we got to Busan so we were able to establish a good defense when the first assault took place.

:p Yeah, it was a huge challenge, I almost lost 6 divisions, had to risk 2 motorized ones to free them up.
Well, after the rush to Busan the offensive halted and everything changed, I even added an event to give more troops to NK if China chose so...but we'll talk about that on the next update. :p

Next update will be:
A) An interlude detailing the battle of Busan.
OR
B) Part III, detailing the turn of the tide.

But, it's 2:40 am here so...I'll sleep a bit. ^^

I'm hope events about U.S/United Nations intervention will work stably. Because judging by your sceenshots PRK army is overpowered.

Off-top
I'm glad that you like my work (Skins). In a future i'm will do a more skins, for Taiwan, for PRK, for Communist China, Pakistan, South Vietnam and etc.

Next update will be posted in some hours, got to do something first and then prepare some of the screenshots, I must say that I was impressed with my luck!
You'll eventually see the reason. ^^

I'm hope events about U.S/United Nations intervention will work stably. Because judging by your sceenshots PRK army is overpowered.

Off-top
I'm glad that you like my work (Skins). In a future i'm will do a more skins, for Taiwan, for PRK, for Communist China, Pakistan, South Vietnam and etc.

Oh yeah, they worked quite fine, eventually aid arrived just in time to save my army from total collapse. :p
And yeah, PRK is overpowered however it makes sense as during the Korean War they had huge support and were better prepared than the ROK Army.

That sounds amazing! :D
Waiting anxious for Taiwan one, haha, also South Vietnam.

And so it is a desperate defence, restricted to one corner.

But few things are more dangerous than a cornered animal, and one hopes this animal still has some fight left.

Apologies people, I bought a new game and I spent the day testing it out.

And so it is a desperate defence, restricted to one corner.

But few things are more dangerous than a cornered animal, and one hopes this animal still has some fight left.
You'll soon see what happens to the cornered spirit of the Republic ^^

Chapter I: The Red March through Asia. (Part III)
Chapter I: The Red March through Asia. (Part III)
"National partition is a sorrow that touches all koreans, but for me it is brought to the fore by unimaginable personal suffering." - Park Geun-hye, former president of the Republic of Korea.
Jeju City, Republic of Korea. ~ June 19th, 2018.

Madeleine Wallace was enjoying her trip to Korea, the country was wonderful and there were several things to enjoy all over the nation. Her journey was close to it's end, after Jeju she was going to return once more to Busan and then back home; towards Australia.
There were several things that Madeleine liked at the peninsula and she got quite impressed after seeing all the development they had, she read that Korea was basically a third world country decades ago but seeing cities like Seoul, Pyongyang, Busan and Sinuiju could make someone think it always was developed.

"I really liked the bridge at the Yalu river, I didn't expect the police to allow me to enter into China, after all, it's another country... but it was impressive when they told me that tourism laws were quite different in that part of the Republic of China." ~ Madeleine thought while watching her phone, she took some nice pictures at Dandong. She bought some gifts for her sisters, after all, they insisted on that for days before she left home. "Darwin's nice, but I wouldn't complain if I had to stay." ~ she thought and seconds after that she smiled for herself.

"I already want to come back, I heard that Pyongyang's new airport will be finished next year, several rail networks, highways and ports have been expanded in this years. It's so interesting, after all, dad has always said it: Infrastructure is the same as arteries and veins for an organism." ~ his father was a logistical engineer for a british company, she was interested in that but her true passion was for international relations, specially the diverse areas it studied.

She was walking towards her hotel room, her luggage was there but suddenly her phone started to ring.
"Maddie, why aren't you answering the phone?" ~ her dad said. "Have you seen the news? It's official, the korean and japanese governments have agreed to start the undersea project!"
Those were some impressive news, Japan and Korea had been negotiating for several years the project to connect Japan and the peninsula, several cities were considered and numerous proposals were made, finally there was a definitive route for the project.

The proposed and accepted route was the following:
Karatsu - Iki island - Tsushima island - Busan; the favoured design was a combination bridge from Karatsu to Iki island followed by a tunnel (60km) to the central portion of Tsushima island and the last part was another tunnel (68km) towards Busan. An expensive project, however, both governments agreed that it was the best choice and that economic benefits would prove it.

Meanwhile, Madeleine closed her browser, the news took her by surprise.
"Well, when that project is finished I'm go travel through it. It will be amazing, my favourite countries connected."
Modern History: Korea. - Wade Barnett.
28th July (14).jpg

The 1st Battle of the Busan Perimeter; at the height of the battle over 250,000 soldiers were engaged in the battle, it finished on August 5th after the North Korean supply lines suffered a heavy pounding from USAF's bombers.
The situation was quite complex, rumours spread that the army would eventually collapse and even the american officers thought the same. The morale was shattered, the army was so disorganized and corruption in the army and government was crushing all possibilities left for the Republic of Korea; however, MacArthur and other americans were decided on their goal, Korea wouldn't fall and communism wouldn't spread any further.

There were several factors behind the failed north korean offensive; american reinforcements, weakened forces, complex logistics and overextended supply lines. The South was at risk too, however, the tide was turning and several soldiers noticed that along the population and soon the army begun a counteroffensive in order to dislodge north korean positions; the result was the end of the 1st Battle against the Busan Perimeter.
However, the amount of casualties was quite high, considering that the battle didn't last a month.

2nd August (15).jpg

The 1st Battle of the Busan Perimeter finished on August 5th, the results took everyone by surprise. There were several casualties but at the end, the KPA advance was finally halted, giving MacArthur the chance to realize his rushed plan.
The KPA fought with courage but their morale was already low, thousands of soldiers were starving and many others were already tired of the continuous march southwards, the supply lines were getting destroyed by USAF's bombers. It was evident for everyone, the tide turned against North Korea while the ROK Army regained their strength as the americans prepared for MacArthur's plan.
Several thousands of soldiers were getting ready to continue the counteroffensive against the KPA as their positions were tenuous, their supplies couldn't arrive, reinforcements weren't coming and morale was buried.

The Great Coalition was preparing to advance against the crumbling forces of the north korean regime, the USAF was also prepared and ready to launch the operations in order to support their allies but suddenly they got calls for support against a KPA offensive.
They were tired, starving, injured or worse but they wouldn't stop yet and that's how the Second Battle of Busan started; in August 7th the KPA tried to reorganize, they were partially successful in doing so and their results proved how bad the situation was for them.

The beginning of the second battle was the sign that MacArthur was waiting for, the KPA wouldn't surrender easily and he had a task; he decided that only through a direct attack against their supply lines would they retreat. His plan was on march, "Rushed", "Without clear goals" said some commanders but no one doubted totally about MacArthur's abilities-
That's how the Inchon landing took place, August 13th was the right day, with only a shattered KPA division at Seoul and several ROK regiments resisting the occupation, it would be evident that the world was turning upside down for the north koreans.

13th August (18).jpg

On August 13th, 1950 the american offensive at Inchon took place. Two divisions of american marines landed and they eventually advanced towards Seoul, freeing the city with the cooperation of ROK Army regiments left behind during The Great Retreat.
The american offensive at Inchon took place as a direct response to the Second Battle of the Busan Perimeter, the main goals were cutting the KPA supply lines and forcing them to retreat; those were the priorities as the North Korean Army would eventually crumble giving the Coalition time enough to organize the greatest offensive of the war. But they had learn several lessions from the KPA advance, specially the logistics challenge in the peninsula and soon the truck production in Japan turned into a priority helping the japanese economy to recover from the expensive years of war.

Planes, trucks, ships, everything was getting ready; the offensive northwards would begin soon it was only a matter of time.
When news of the landing at Inchon and the fall of Seoul arrived to the south a mixed response took place; joyous ones from the troops at Busan and fear from the KPA. Their lines were cut and now they had to retreat and quckly, the USAF and the Coalition wouldn't give them much time to recover and on August 17th the Second Battle of the Busan Perimeter finished with estimated casualties being around 25,000 KPA troops and 8,000 from the Coalition.

13th August (19).jpg

The landing at Inchon and the advance towards Seoul caused panic through all the ranks of the KPA, there was a huge chance of getting encircled. Just after the end of the 2nd Battle of Busan the offensive northwards took place first against Daegu as several KPA divisions were kept at Gwangju; east of Busan.
The offensive against Daegu begun in favour of the attackers, however, as troops left Gwangju towards the north the reinforcements managed to turn the tide in a small way. The south korean morale was recovering slowly, the north korean one was so low but they were quite prepared for a counteroffensive.
The results were obvious but the KPA was at least capable of inflicting more casualties to the Coalition, several KPA officers even thought they could organize a third advance against Busan. However, the marines at Seoul along the ROK Army regiments left chose to organize an attack to distract the KPA and spread fear through their forces.

Soon a small and limited offensive took place against Daejeon, it eventually caused the collapse of the KPA and their retreat towards Chuncheon. But that wasn't going to be the end, soon motorized units at Busan gave chase against their enemy. The KPA were superior in numbers but their morale and organization was totally crushed, soon USAF started a bombing campaign to support the few units advancing against the KPA, the marines stopped their offensive towards Daejeon and after several movements chose to attack the troops at Chuncheon too in order to support the motorized troops giving chase to their enemies.

The battleplan was forged, the main priority was freeing South Korea and after that the commanders were divided. Some thought that after freeing the south they should just stay in defensive positions at the border, respecting the status quo ante bellum, however, MacArthur and the majority agreed that the threat had to be dealt with once and for all; only total victory would be accepted.
By August 23th the south korean offensive began, Chuncheon and Gwangju were the main objectives, securing South Korea was a priority and only after that would they advance northwards.

15th August (20).jpg

The KPA was in a general retreat northwards, their supply lines collapsed and several thousands were captured when Daejeon fell, estimate numbers from those captured are between 25,000-30,000.
Several divisions were destroyed, thousands were killed or captured by the Coalition's advance. It took time, but finally, by September 9th the South was free from the northern occupation. Several prisoners of war were taken but they weren't the only ones.
Syngman Rhee ordered several round ups against lelftist sectors of the population, he begun a purge against all of those associated with the left and even those that weren't linked to them.
His chance to get rid of his political opponents and many of those collaborators with the communist forces; the turning tide was a blessing for South Korea but it caused chaos for her population as the anti-communist rhetoric that plagued the government in the years before the war got quite high after KPA was expelled.

7th September (23).jpg

The situation in the Korean Peninsula by September 9th, MacArthur's plan was the reason for the success. The USAF heavily supported the offensive northwards: MacArthur was sure of his plan, the north was going to pay for their mistake.
17th August (20).jpg

Casualties during the offensive towards the north, the broken lines of the KPA allowed a quick advance.
Apologies for taking so long to update!
I recently bought Rise of Nations, sheesh, it's a good game (but I'm having issues with it... :( )
Anyways...

Here's the second update and soon we'll be heading north.
My narrations with characters are a bit short because I have to write them in advance and it takes me more time as I have to translate my ideas, reorder sentences and all of that.

But soon I'll post an interlude, however, I'm unsure about writing it on 2018 or 1950...
Anyways, I hope you enjoy it!

The counter-attack has been a smashing success.

I was afraid how much you can rely on scripted events here, but it seems you handled it a-okay :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
The counter-attack has been a smashing success.
Indeed it was ^^ after their offensive was halted and they attempted once again to take Busan their organization was quite low, the perfect moment for the offensive.
I was afraid how much you can rely on scripted events here, but it seems you handled it a-okay :)
:p
Apologies, I got a bit confused, what do you mean?
i really enjoy this AAR :D Keep it going mate!
Thanks! :D
It's nice to see another reader here, I was kinda sad about not having readers :p
Next update will be get post between tomorrow and Tuesday. ^^
I need to finish coding some events for the game and reading something, but it will be soon. ^^

Apologies, I got a bit confused, what do you mean?

I didn't play the mod so I don't know how much you count on events like invasion. Aside from that, being cornered in one province is always tricky.

Awesome update. I like your narrative!

Apologies for not writing the update, got distracted over some stuff and well, my favourite music group released a new song today so I my mind was here and there, and up and down, and right to left, haha you get it.

Leaving that behind, I'll probably post the next update tomorrow dealing with the offensive against the North. ^^

Also, I want to thanks all the readers;
Those that comment and those that only read, thanks to you I've got the WritAAR of the Week and I'm quite happy about it.
Specially as I've been investing a bit of time in this AAR and I feel that my english narrations are improving slowly :p
Thanks to everyone!

Awesome update. I like your narrative!
Thanks! :)
Glad you like it.