• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

tribnia

Colonel
36 Badges
Nov 26, 2017
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
AFAIK It has been several years since the last time the mod get a major update. In the past few years, not only the portraits, but also the vanilla map has changed a lot. At the same time, some new mechanics have been introduced.
So I think maybe it 's time for a remake, to use the new mechanics to update the mod, and make it grow stronger.

And? It was still an update. Its still being updated and worked on.

Like, it would have been one thing if you were asking about helping to bring in new features or switch over some of the older systems into an equivalent native feature (like the bloodlines). But you just said "Oh, well people aren't really working on this so its time to remake it!". I don't want to speak for the mod team, but I'd probably be at the very least annoyed if not out and out insulted if someone looked at something I was actively and currently working on and decided that A) by their standards I wasn't doing anything real and B) that the correct thing to do was just remake it.

We are always looking into making sure the mod is updated and new features take time+dedication to bring in and adapt. It will get there eventually, do not worry.

Also, I'm working on an actual remake, per the OP's question

it's just going slow and I'm still in the design phase

it's always been a fever dream of mine

AFAIK It has been several years since the last time the mod get a major update. In the past few years, not only the portraits, but also the vanilla map has changed a lot. At the same time, some new mechanics have been introduced.
So I think maybe it 's time for a remake, to use the new mechanics to update the mod, and make it grow stronger.

The main problem of this is, and let me say this as gently as possible, the amount of pain a human would have to go through to singlehandedly make Lux a shiny pearl again. We're currently playing the Imperium of Man in 39k, not in the period where they still knew how to make ships, so we're mostly in maintenance mode. If you're willing to help out, I'd much like a helping hand or two. Some of us have literally been with the mod for seven years lol so we've seen the code bloat and at some point the inertia of the weight of the codebase started snowballing out of our willpower's reach. A real remake is indeed due.

The main problem of this is, and let me say this as gently as possible, the amount of pain a human would have to go through to singlehandedly make Lux a shiny pearl again. We're currently playing the Imperium of Man in 39k, not in the period where they still knew how to make ships, so we're mostly in maintenance mode. If you're willing to help out, I'd much like a helping hand or two. Some of us have literally been with the mod for seven years lol so we've seen the code bloat and at some point the inertia of the weight of the codebase started snowballing out of our willpower's reach. A real remake is indeed due.

So, you guys are doing a similar thing that Warhammer mod crew is doing?

So, you guys are doing a similar thing that Warhammer mod crew is doing?
I could say both "yes" and "no" and I'd be lying, I have no concrete idea what they're doing, but it doesn't seem too much like it in one way, and it looks similar to it in others.
We're not currently doing an overhaul of any sorts right now, currently on the table is a code refresh/remake of the current or target functionality of the mod before we go into anything much deeper than that.
If it pans out well, we might plug in new stuff (read: stuff off my dream wishlist lol) who knows

We're not currently doing an overhaul of any sorts right now, currently on the table is a code refresh/remake of the current or target functionality of the mod before we go into anything much deeper than that.

Of course, this doesn't mean it would come out as a carbon copy: some things might not make the cut, and other things might come in to take their place. I hope that all this tells you at least that there's no good structure to our work method right now (or ever, for that matter)

Of course, this doesn't mean it would come out as a carbon copy: some things might not make the cut, and other things might come in to take their place. I hope that all this tells you at least that there's no good structure to our work method right now (or ever, for that matter)

I guess that's expected to happen when the creator disappears.

I guess that's expected to happen when the creator disappears.

The parallel with WH40K deepens: the mod has been kept up without a creator for appx 6 years, where the game is about 7 years old. We're doing the good old procession in front of the golden throne with a corpse thing basically

What would a "remake" even entail anyway? Back to vanilla map? Bloodlines?

I’d suggest streamlining the bloated mechanics added by mod and removing some of the Diadochi wank well.

Tobe honest, yes Lux needs some reworking, but its not like its dead. Having just revived it from actually being dead, it kinda hurts when people act like its still dead lol. ;)