• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Part 2.4 - Abbasid

Part 2.4 - Abbasid​

Knowing of another Sheikh's planned treachery isn't something I immediately focus on. I can always send my henchman out to grab him and introduce him to our palatial tourist attraction, Baghdad Correctional Facility. To be honest every time I imprison one of these guys I think Abu Ghraib, and I keep tempting myself to make ill-advised puns, but have decided that would be in very bad taste. Although it does remind me of the Iraqis we would detain and I would occasionally have to guard while they were in there little cell, before we shipped them off to the big ask you lots of questions place.

At the moment though I have this crazed Orthodox Priest Xarmander rising up against me. He's already made some headway by occupying some holdings and this we need to stop before it gets out of hand.

2013-12-01_00109_zps7936cd58.jpg

Now that the war is swinging in my favor I get a pop up that apparently says some things about how I've been ruling.

2013-12-01_00111_zps2c197a71.jpg

I completely understand how my ideas are unpopular, but I never would have imagined torturing and killing an innocent 10 year old girl could be seen as "progressive".

Apparently I get a chance to make a vassal of mine switch from the Ash'ari school over to my Muztali school. He tells me to go screw a camel though, and I write his name down reserving him a room at Baghdad Correctional at a date to be determined in the future.

We then win the siege of Samara which puts Xarmander on the ropes. Hopefully he will surrender soon.

While the war is raging Najib becomes a scholar.

2013-12-01_00115_zpsa915b2bc.jpg

Him being a scholar doesn't really seem all that fitting but I guess we will take it and run with it. I highly doubt he will be reading any Plato or Aristotle anytime soon.

But just as I was hoping Xarmander finally gives in and surrenders, thus ending yet another pointless random pop up war.

2013-12-01_00117_zpsadcecb2f.jpg

With the war against the Orthodox priest done, I get the pleasure of having to deal with the other branch of the people of the book. Apparently a Jewish courtier well versed in the ways of coin and such stuff appears in my court seeking employment. Unfortunately for him he lied about his skills and is like the tenth best at what he does. So Najib has a random Jew at court now and has no idea what to do with him.

This of course makes the Caliph stressed.

2013-12-01_00118_zpsc787f998.jpg

I get another chance to imprison another wife of mine. Apparently Najib has married naughty women. This one Radiya also seems to be innocent and has zero plots or anything planned. But I try to imprison her anyway, but she is tipped off apparently the imprisonment of my other wife had been lesson enough.

With her escape I begin to put two and two together. My wife Touran (I think that is her name) is my Spymaster. Could she be misleading me to eliminate the competition? Hmmm....

2013-12-01_00120_zps8784214c.jpg

Not wanting to have a random wife hiding out in an undisclosed location somewhere in Egypt, I file for divorce. I have to pay 250 gold. And I'm wondering who that gold goes to? I'm the religious head so am I paying myself to divorce my wife? Hmmm...or is to her family...wonder how that works. I wasn't paying attention in game to where this gold goes so can't answer my own question.

Needless to say, Radiya is no longer a wifey.

The Shah of the now OPM Samanid Shahdom requests to marry a sister of mine. I agree might as well let him have her. Unfortunately they've seen their lands fall to the rising Shiah Caliphate that now rules over Persia and taking all of the Samanid lands along the east bank of the Caspian

I also decide to marry some Emir's daughter.

Which is when I get a notification that the Norse are planning yet another invasion this time of Galilee. Great fun...another random war.

2013-12-01_00125_zpsc316ca31.jpg

While I wonder back over to Europe to wonder where this Frederick is coming from I notice another change in the Duchy of Poitou. Its shield has gone from Muslim to Christian. I scratch my head and click on it and much to my surprise the Cerneu's are no longer in charge there.

In fact the former Duke/Emir Heranal Cerneu is now living in exile living in Wales being protected by King Glen.

2013-12-01_00126_zpsf6b086a3.jpg

At least he got to bring all his wives with him. What's great is there will even be a few Arab looking Cerneus popping up in the future. I'm sure that will help make Wales a model of stability going forward.

Meanwhile my forces have engaged the Norse a few times already and driven the warscore to 95%. Unfortunately Frederick decides to quit sending men to the slaughter and refuses to surrender without 100% in my favor so I offer him White Peace. I get less prestige but he still gets a room at Baghdad Correctional so its a wash really.

2013-12-01_00132_zps638e89f9.jpg

Najib celebrated this victory over the Norse with a little too much enthusiasm. If anything can be said about our Caliph its that he is an enthusiastic man, not one for half-measures. He celebrated so much that he falls ill for a few weeks. Possibly from too much wine or something.

2013-12-01_00137_zps97cf330e.jpg

I was a little worried for a few minutes. Being stressed and ill at the same time is a bad bad thing. I'm actually surprised Najib recovered.

Having hear of a few of your requests for a map this is the best one I have at this point in time in the game. Sorry it isn't a full map. It is missing southern Arabia. But all that needs to be said of that area, is that we control all of it except for a little enclave down around modern day Yemen, which is currently ruled by an Ibadi Emir. Said Ibadi Emir has actually invaded the Horn of Africa as well. No idea if he'll actually hold on to those lands just yet though.

2013-12-01_00139_zpsfdc241ab.jpg

Oh I forgot to mention that before getting sick my newest wife gave birth to a son named A'lai.

So what else to do, I want to declare a war but really don't feel comfortable invading the ERE while they have a fairly well entrenched emperor by the name of Thomas Makedon in place. So I will wait for that.

But, Aghlab is still and Emir and free. He's already spent a little time at Baghdad Correctional but it was more of just an R and R vacation type of thing. I decide to make his accommodations at the BCF a little more permanent.

2013-12-01_00140_zpsaa64a098.jpg

Allah then sends a sign of his displeasure, or at least it seems that way by striking Najib with the same illness he had recently recovered from. I guess he celebrated the incarceration of Aghlab a little too enthusiastically as well.

2013-12-01_00141_zps2c81b84e.jpg

At the same time though Najib finally loses his craven trait. How he does this while being in bed sick I have no idea, perhaps its merely a dream of some sort.

While Najib is sick and having not recovered fully yet, I know his days are numbered. So I kick back not wanting a big war or anything due to a succession becoming more and more obvious with each day that ticks by. I go and browse around Europe again.

The Ummayads are in trouble. Serious trouble, we will talk about that a little later.

But the one thing that made me scratch my head and do a double take is when I saw Poland. It went insane! How though?

Well you see the Arpads of the Tengri faith have apparently lost the Hungarian throne to the Piasts of the Slavic faith. Which in essence has created a behemoth in Central/Eastern Europe. If the Piasts are able to consolidate the Hungarian lands, and convert it all to Slavic the days of the Tengri may be numbered. Not to mention that Poland-Hungary could potentially rival the Bretonian Holy Roman Empire.

2013-12-01_00143_zps8a013fc9.jpg

I'm quite sure that will implode. But at the moment it is something quite fun to think about. In a way I hope I get to play over in that area next!

Just as I suspected, Najib finally dies from the illness. I knew it was just a matter of time before it happened. That is why I let the remainder of time just tick away since there was absolutely nothing I could do to prevent it.

2013-12-01_00146_zps15694303.jpg

His son Ashraf will become the new Caliph/Badshah of the Abbasid Caliphate. He's a young boy of only 12 years old so we will have a few years of wonderful Regency ahead of us. I personally am looking quite forward to the chaos and rampant civil wars that await. In fact now that Ashraf has come to power I highly doubt I'll ever accomplish anything at all with the Abbasids.

2013-12-01_00147_zpsa53f6a9a.jpg

And as Regent appointed over Ashraf is Emir Muzzaffaraddin Mirzid...try saying that name aloud a few time.

2013-12-01_00149_zps8be64bb3.jpg

As you can see Ashraf is Levantine, his Regent is a Bedouin. We're obviously already off to a great start for this Regency...

A very interesting AAR! I read it during any pauses I get at work, and it keeps me thoroughly entertained. Please keep up the good work! :)

Will readily admit that I've half-consciously been wandering into Abu Ghraib joke territory, every time you imprisoned someone. But then the actual thinking part of my brain kicks in and decides that, yes, there are things that are in too bad taste to go anywhere near. Long-winded way to say I completely agree with you.

Anyway, update itself: Najib's dead. Perhaps being cruel isn't the automatic ticket to things working out grandly that we had come to expect? ;)

Now, let me go nuke some popcorn and grab a can of Coke, sit back and enjoy the utter collapse of the Caliphate. :p Perhaps we should take bets whether Ashraf lives to see adulthood? Good luck playing through the 'interesting' times to come.

@Dredcor: Hopefully the Regency doesn't go that badly...but it isn't looking promising at the moment.

~~~~~​
@rageair: Glad its been able to keep you entertained during work! :) And I will definitely try my best to keep up the good work.

~~~~~​
@Stuyvesant: I don't know if being cruel is the best way anymore, but I won't let this set back change my plans in that regard. If Ashraf survives I fully intend to make him even more cruel. Times may get entertaining though so that popcorn very well may come in handy!

~~~~~​
@mike the knight: I can smell a conspiracy as well. Hopefully Ashraf stays away from balconies would hate for him to learn how to fly.

Part 2.5 - Abbasid

@Wilkey: I guess that is true divorce lawyers got it, probably that random Jew that stressed Najib out. But at least there isn't any alimony or child support to pay her either. So I guess Najib got off easy.

~~~~~
Part 2.5 - Abbasid

2013-12-01_00150_zps32a00520.jpg

Almost from day one our Regency seems to be looking very promising. I mean what else spells success then one week into it you get a pop up like this? Supposedly it says autonomous vassals will be implemented. I checked the crown laws afterwards and saw no AV rule...so not sure what this is trying to tell me, but regardless its never good when your Regent decides to force a child into doing things against his will.

I should write the Regent's name down for a room at Baghdad Correctional, for when I come of age.

I decide to request one of these Emirs give me his title. I don't remember why I asked him to, guess I just didn't like his name...Akab.

2013-12-01_00151_zps2f95dbca.jpg

So he informs me I should be sewn up in a dead camel. This hurts and we all know teenage Ashraf would probably fit inside one.

Off to our first Civil War of Ashraf's rule. Before calling my levies up I get to thinking for a few minutes. Aghlab former Caliph and constant pain in Najib's ass, is sitting at BCF just waiting for some lords to proclaim him Caliph. Ashraf being the grandson of Aarif the cruel and son of Najib the Slaughterer of 10 year old girls, decides to execute Aghlab.

It just seemed fitting to open a war up with a great execution like that.

2013-12-01_00152_zps52e740bd.jpg

I officially have my bloodlust sated just a little bit when another damn Emir decides to declare war.

2013-12-01_00153_zpsd8e8bd61.jpg

Such a promising way to begin a reign.

Seeing how this is going to go and not wanting to rebellions on my hands I white peace it out with Akab landing him in my dungeon. Now my forces can focus on stamping out the new fire.

2013-12-01_00154_zps0b6e836a.jpg

Meanwhile my Chancellor sows dissent in the ERE. That's a mission I sent him on during Najib's reign hoping to cause a little instability over there. Well it was pointless because even if shit hits the fan I won't be able to respond.

Luckily this rebellion is slowly being dealt with.

2013-12-01_00156_zps3fb912b6.jpg

Following those victories I find out some Sheikh in the Emirate of Baghdad is trying to steal our capital duchy from us. But he's going on the Hajj so I leave him alone, no sense sending our camel riders out to intercept him yet and bring him back to Baghdad Correctional.

A notification comes in from our prison that my mom Qamara has died in her cell. I didn't realize that she was Ashraf's mother until this happened. I may have been nice and released her had I of known. But I didn't, and now mommy is dead.

2013-12-02_00001_zps01b89bb6.jpg

Apparently due to me not releasing my mom and probably due to me executing Aghlab I finally get a nickname! I was hoping Najib would get one like the Cruel or Wicked or Ill-Ruler, unfortunately no matter how hard I tried Najib never earned a nickname. But Ashraf being the evil little man that he is has earned one already, just a year or so into his reign.

2013-12-02_00002_zps9d03494c.jpg

I consider being known as the "Ill-Ruler" a minor victory. In fact its the very first time a character I've played has earned such a title. I was a little proud at this. And while I relished this achievement I went about killing rebels.

The rebelling Emir's war for whatever reason ends inconclusively. I don't know why or how it did. Regardless the war is over and little Ashraf has some time to play with his toys finally.

Which brings us to finally being to post a full map of the Caliphate. The last one was a partial, so here is this one, and it even shows some of our neighbors. Notice the growing power of the Shia Caliphate that rules Persia? That is troublesome...but hopefully it can withstand the mighty Seljuks when that happens.

2013-12-02_00005_zps9f950cc9.jpg

Seeing we have some down time, I venture about the world and notice that the Teutonic Order was granted some land by the King of Great Moravia. I like that nothing better than the Teutonic Order having some land next to Poland-Hungary. Should create some interesting dynamics in the future.

Curious about who is ruling them I click on the County, and much to my surprise I see one of Halfdan's descendants as Grand Master.

2013-12-02_00006_zps9a9c82fd.jpg

I then move over to look at the peaceful Eastern Roman Empire. And admire the wondrous stability they've had under Emperor Thomas. Which is when I notice he also has a nickname. Thomas the Wicked Makedon, if we should ever have a war it will be the Wicked versus the Ill-Ruler. A match up for the ages I think, and I begin imagining how such a terribly evil war would go. Which ruler would prove to be the more evil.

While I'm daydreaming about such a bloody conflict my vassals decide to wake me up.

Apparently they think some random Sheikh of Kirkuk is the rightful Caliph/Badshah. This of course aggravates the hell out of me, and I immediately order some more cells open up at Baghdad Correctional because there will be more prisoners soon enough.

2013-12-02_00008_zps72024ae0.jpg

Of course things aren't meant to go well in this war. I immediately get a notification that a bunch of peasants and other crazy people are flocking to the rebel banner, hoping to depose evil little Ashraf.

I shrug my shoulders and call up the levies and hire some mercs. You know we need lots of mercs now.

Then they march off to engage the evil rebels.

2013-12-02_00009_zpse8c1d0ab.jpg

It was during this rebellion that Ashraf would come of age and officially end the Regency. Which is a good thing maybe our vassals will calm down a little bit and allow Ashraf to do some good things like attack the Byzzies.

The rebellion then ends with the rebel leader offering up a white peace which we accept happily.

2013-12-02_00016_zpsd02e0ac3.jpg

Now that we are at peace and Ashraf is of proper age I start looking for wifeys for him. We need some women to have babies and create a new evil heir. Which is when I get a new event. One I hadn't seen yet as Caliph. Apparently we need a Chief Qadi to help deal out judicial punishment or something. I don't really like that idea, I mean Ashraf, Najib and Aarif were all doing just fine being evil and having a magistrate dictate sentences and such would cramp our style.

But we allow the appointment anyway knowing that its more of a ceremonial station only.

2013-12-02_00021_zpsb1e02180.jpg

What I didn't know then is just how angry people would get over such a thing.

But moving on. I get some wives and in the year 946 all hell officially breaks loose.

Here I thought Ashraf coming of age would be awesome for stability.

Nope.

I was wrong!

In fact it seems to have had the opposite affect.

2013-12-02_00024_zps0c0acdd1.jpg

So another rebellion, this one for independence. Great...

While I prepare to fight this, a second later I get this...

2013-12-02_00027_zps9ace2abd.jpg

That war I was daydreaming about well its about to happen!

While I sit here and think of a strategy...to fight rebels first, or defend against the Wicked Thomas, something even greater happens.

2013-12-02_00029_zpse4149420.jpg

Another Orthodox Priest rises up, and his name is Ashraf as well.

Three wars, all within a few months.

Shit has literally hit the fan in the Caliphate. Ashraf has enemies jumping at him like pissed off camel spiders. And camel spiders are no joke when they're pissed.

I think that perhaps Ashraf's time as Caliph/Badshah is becoming numbered in days rather than years.

At least you get a +75 opinion for defending against infidels now, that should add some much needed troops. And don't worry about the lack of child support and alimonies, I am sure Paradox will fix that little bug and add it in their next patch.

To paraphrase from Jaws: "I think I need a bigger popcorn bowl." ;)

That's a nice perfect storm of events. I'd say ignore the Byzzies and let them occupy Coloneia (wherever that is). Hopefully, they won't overrun your entire empire and you can concentrate on putting down the revolts (with that lovely +75 opinion modifier in place) before pushing the infidels back.

By the way, I noticed that Thomas is a kinslayer - you have something in common with him! Perhaps you can become bestest of buddies, like Charlemagne and Harun Al-Rashid!

Perhaps you can become bestest of buddies, like Charlemagne and Harun Al-Rashid!

Or Richard the Lionheart and Saladin, although that was more of a bro-crush.

And losing Colonia won't be the end of the world, since you have in your grasp both the invasion and jihad CBs; let them holy war for duchies, hit them back for kingdoms.

Part 2.6 - Abbasid

@Wilkey: I didn't know that +75...that will be useful. It'd be hilarious if Paradox added alimony and child support in.

~~~~~​
@Stuyvesant: May very well need that bigger bowl. I think Coloneia is that weird little curvy area at the top of our empire, not sure though. And I do think Ashraf and Thomas are destined by Allah to become besties for life.

~~~~~​
@mike the knight: We will try to stop them from freeing themselves, although that ERE war is looking threatening...

~~~~~​
@verdas: I'm definitely all in for a bro crush with my Wicked neighbor...but yeah I agree losing Coloneia wouldn't be a bad thing at all, but I developed a strategy to fight back, hopefully it will work.

Now onto another update, been updating this a little more frequently as its been fun to write so hope that is alright with everybody.

~~~~~

Part 2.6 - Abbasid​

When last we left Caliph Ashraf he was looking at three separate wars. A minor rebellion for independence, an invasion by the ERE, and an Orthodox Priest rabble rouser. The Byzantines are what made this all a big to do, because their levies size are a few thousand greater than the Caliphs, and therefore the ERE stacks of doom could potentially end up victorious.

I sat down and stared at the screen while my levies slowly marched to the muster point. I was thinking strategy what to do about this shit storm that just opened up.

I could try to go knock some of the Byzzies down but that's a long march and I'll need to hire mercs for that. And there is the wild card of if the ERE beats me in the field my armies routing and blindly running into the pissy Orthodox priest that is out causing problems. The same thing could happen if I attacked said Orthodox Priest.

So that leaves us with the only option of going to the southwest and slapping around some troublesome vassals. Not only does this make sense strategically but it fits Ashraf's story, he's cruel, he's an evil bastard, and the ill-ruler, so of course he'll go slap his vassals and allow the Byzzies and the random Priest kill his northern citizens.

With the battle plan in place the armies march with the first wave on their way.

2013-12-02_00031_zpsec9b6ee4.jpg

Apparently the ploy worked. Thomas the Wicked decided to be a true besty and attack the Orthodox Rebel Priest Ashraf. Perhaps the AI Thomas just got those binary code numbers wrong and assumed the Orthodox rebellion was being led by the Caliph, because I'm still scratching my head on why the Byzzies would attack an enemy of mine. Guess PI didn't code in the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" thing.

So while my wicked friend is taking care of my dirty work in the north I put the fire out down south so that we can focus on each other like true star crossed lovers.

While all this is going on we win two sieges against the southern rebels and Caliph Ashraf celebrates the birth of a new baby boy by naming him Ashraf as well. Perhaps the new goal of the game is to make lots and lots of Ashrafs.

And then I'm notified that the ERE has taken Manzikert. Oh well, and thanks to Emperor Thomas the Orthodox Uprising has no more soldiers and we suddenly have a 100% warscore against them. I immediately enforce my demands and have the Orthodox priest Ashraf taken to his new cell at Baghdad Correctional.

2013-12-02_00036_zpsdf5bcd50.jpg

One fire out, but the Southern rebels are still fighting, if I occupy a few more holdings it should result in an acceptable white peace which is what I want right now.

While I'm waiting for some sieges to complete, I notice that the portrait for our war against the ERE has changed. Thomas the Wicked it appears has died. I don't know if the Orthodox Priest killed him or if he just fell over dead one day. Maybe he got mauled by camel spiders. I don't know.

Regardless the Wicked has died, meaning I lost the one guy I was hoping to go toe to toe with. Who inherited? Well the Wicked's daughter Empress Phyllis. Yeah Phyllis. Doesn't exactly strike fear into my heart with that name. Kind of makes me think of someone's grandma actually.

The rebel Emir finally goes for a white peace resigning his fate to Baghdad Correctional where he will be cellies with the Orthodox Priest Ashraf. He does however do so while damning my seventh grandfather. Not sure why he would do such a thing as Caliph Ashraf's seventh grandfather seems to have been a pretty kind gentle great guy.

2013-12-02_00039_zps7fab49a6.jpg

Al-Mahdi was definitely an impeccable example of enlightened rulership. If only he could see what his family is doing now.

All we have to contend with now is Empress Phyllis. Currently that warscore is hovering around 63% in her favor. If I was a smarter guy I would just say screw it throw in the towel and live to fight another day. But nope.

I hire a crap ton of mercenaries sending our treasury on a surplus of 45 gold a month to negative 60 in one day. Now, we have enough men to march north and repel the Greeks.

So march off to war we go.

2013-12-02_00045_zps18302214.jpg

The Battle of Tella was quite the battle, over 21000 men died that day.

I did forget to mention the birth of another son this one named Najib, which makes me wonder who I should have succeed me. Also Abdul-Hamid comes of age and is arrested and thrown into Baghdad Correctional. I think he was my brother or uncle...can't remember which.

Then another battle...

2013-12-02_00047_zpsd6057b2a.jpg

I capture two Doux in that one. Hitting the jackpot big against Phyllis. And one is a blind man. I actually ransom the blind Doux off, just because I needed the money and the cell space, because as soon as he gets ransomed I manage to snag another blind Doux.

2013-12-02_00052_zps9dbed16a.jpg

2013-12-02_00054_zps0a86402b.jpg

Makes me wonder why blind men are even in a war...I mean its obvious they'd naturally get lost on the battlefield and grabbed up by the enemy. Hell they may even chop up some of their own men.

Also I took a picture of the warscreen, just because the warscore made me chuckle a little bit. Phyllis is winning the occupation and I'm winning the land battles. So much that we have basically nullified all the gains made in the war thus far.

I then decide to move my men off to liberate a few occupied holdings when I notice a Greek ship off our coast. What is a ship doing there?

I sit and watch fervently knowing that a fleet of 60 boats could mean a fresh stack to attack. Sneaky tricksy byzzies...

2013-12-02_00058_zpsf9be5a35.jpg

I watched in horror of the Greek sneak attack only to ROFL when a mere 9 soldiers unloaded and the boats sped away.

What on Earth is Phyllis thinking???

Obviously the Greek AI is a little wonky they haven't thought this war through very well. Or maybe its a scouting party, that would make sense...perhaps a decoy? Hmmm...

None of those options ever prove true. The 9 random Greeks just wander about the Holy Land I suppose sightseeing is the only true explanation. Thomas and his daughter Phyllis used this war to occupy all the men of the Caliphate just so those nine Greek Soldiers could go on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem. Such a thoughtful and pious bunch those Greek Emperors.

Which is when Prince Rasul comes of age and is carried away to BCF.

Should mention by this point Ashraf has had three more daughters. Apparently while his men are in the field our new Caliph is busy chasing his wives about the palace and planting his seed quite regularly in them.

Finally in October of 949 (18 years left here) Phyllis has had enough. Apparently her nine secret pilgrims were not enough and she decided to accept a White Peace.

I settled for offering the WP just because I was tired of fighting...we only had 6,000 men left and our treasury was getting low and I had lost my will to try and drive up a 100% warscore. Regardless it is a victory of sorts and one that probably would not have happened if the Orthodox Rebellion hadn't of sidetracked Thomas the Wicked.

2013-12-02_00061_zps89686abe.jpg

With peace finally coming to the Caliphate, I decide to let Ashraf go on his Hajj. But before he goes I take a look at Empress Phyllis, and see she has only one boy. I sit and think about what this could mean and decide to have the child killed. My thinking on it is if I take away the one male heir the ERE nobles will be angry and fight to usurp the purple.

Not sure if it will work out but its worth a shot.

2013-12-02_00063_zpsa0323ff1.jpg

Looking at the portraits I think I now understand why Thomas was called the Wicked. It seems almost all the Doux and Duchesses are blind in the Empire. I guess the late Emperor beat me in the cruelty department, I mean I only imprison people he goes all out and cuts their eyes out and in some cases their balls.

While Ashraf prepares for his Hajj, I get a request from some dude in a far away land that I haven't seen before requesting the hand of one of my courtiers in marriage.

Who is this Fadl the Conqueror? He is the man who overthrew the Ummayads and sent Iberia into a tailspin. I will be showing a map of the aftermath of said destruction in a future update I imagine, but the result is quite impressive...well for a Christian Navarra point of view anyway.

2013-12-02_00065_zps6376fb33.jpg

Ashraf is now ready to go on his Hajj. I won't be posting the pop ups from it this time. Pretty much all the same ones that have happened the two previous times so no point in taking up space.

2013-12-02_00067_zps9b2dc6d4.jpg

Ashraf's stepmother Touran is in love with his philosophy on life apparently, Ashraf helps alleviate her stress, so he's finally done a kind thing, perhaps he is growing soft now.

With the Hajj planned and Ashraf on his way to Mecca I give orders to host the Furusiyya again. Might as well fully celebrate the victory over the ERE by having a tournament of marshal prowess.

2013-12-02_00071_zps807b2bd5.jpg

During the Hajj I decide to try and get Ashraf possessed by the djinn again but it unfortunately does not work. 5% chance of possession apparently is a rare one to grab. Not even sure why I keep trying to get possessed guess it would just be entertaining.

Meanwhile Ashraf constructs an army of wooden soldiers. I guess he has to have some sort of entertainment during those long nights in the Arabian desert.

2013-12-02_00073_zps873bb581.jpg

Afterwards Ashraf reaches Mecca becomes a Hajji and returns to Baghdad. Once home I get word that our plot to kill Phyllis's only son is prepared and we give the order to go forward with the plot.

2013-12-02_00081_zps87649543.jpg

2013-12-02_00085_zpsd6e1d53c.jpg

The plot succeeds and Prince Isidoros Makedon heir to the Imperial Throne dies from a lone bowman. Now it will be time to watch and see if the Empire collapses due to know purple born heir.

After the murder of a child, the Furusiyya begins. Two men die at the tournament but other than that nothing of note ended up happening.

Ashraf then realizes he has a lot of playtoys at Baghdad Correctional and decides to play with them just like his daddy Najib had.

2013-12-02_00092_zps0e039640.jpg

This time though, he doesn't put a little girl on the rack. Rather an old man, who somehow survives the torturing, which is good, it means he can be tortured more in the future.

After torturing the old man, a courtier of Ashraf's is beyond scared of him. She calls him a monster and such, tyrant, you know the usual things women call men that are evil and mean.

2013-12-02_00093_zpsff439a9b.jpg

Yes Ashraf, you are that scary.

Ashraf then learns of other people that enjoy playing with toy wooden soldiers rolling dice to decide who wins the battle. Who would have known that risk was such a popular game in the 10th century? I sure didn't know that.

2013-12-02_00095_zps084e517c.jpg

So we leave this update on a bit of a more boring note. No war hanging over our head, a long period of peace so far. Stability in the Caliphate? Who would have ever thought that was possible?

I guess I'm going to have to make things more entertaining. Perhaps an invasion for Anatolia? Slap the Greeks around a little bit.

At the moment the ERE has imploded. I could pick some land off but don't, I'd rather wait till the war is over, when their levies are still recovering and launch an invasion. I think that strategy would be more fruitful than picking a few random counties off the rebels.

But it appears the assassination of the little boy has worked. Phyllis is besieged and its only a matter of time before the Makedon dynasty is over thrown. I wonder which Dynasty will take the Empire over.

Oh as a note on that screenshot I don't remember what war is going on down there that it says I'm involved in, I think it very well may have been a holy war that ends inconclusively. I was getting bored of taking notes at this point in the play-through so apologies for not really knowing what that is.

I mean, you could holy war for one of the larger duchies (like that Cilicia there) and bag a nice chunk of land without ending up in truce with the ERE; plus, you can just keep some mercs raised and declare another war right away.

Thomas and Ashraf - it could've been grand: and international love fest, two men on opposing sides of a grand war, who learn to respect their differences and embrace their shared interests (i.e. torturing and mutilating defenseless prisoners), but it was not to be, as Thomas was cut down in his prime. I guess that makes it a tragic love story, which is even better. ;)

Interesting to learn of Ashraf's hobbies - chasing women (nothing wrong with that), torturing people (we-ell...) and, erm, playing with toy soldiers. And piously going on the Hajj while simultaneously plotting the murder of a little child. He's certainly a unique character. :)

@verdas: True I could Holy War, in fact I believe that's what that little war icon down in the bottom of the last screenshot is. I just don't remember who it was against. But it doesn't matter, the ERE civil war is going to go quick...its everyone verse Phyllis pretty much so can't imagine she'll survive too long before being ousted.

~~~~~​
@Stuyvesant: I wish Thomas and Ashraf could have met they were perfect matches! As far as Ashraf's hobbies he's also turning into quite the baby-making machine, that skirt chasing (or would it be burqa chasing?) is catching up with our young Caliph.

~~~~~​
@mike the knight: It is definitely a pity. Ashraf was not all that happy about not meeting Thomas...so unhappy that he killed Thomas's grandson :)

Part 2.7 - Abbasid

Part 2.7 - Abbasid​

We left off with Ashraf playing with toy soldiers and looking at the beauty of the ERE's angry vassals. The wooden soldier tournament has now come to an end though, wish Ashraf gaining some prestige and 2 martial.

2013-12-02_00097_zps37325d7d.jpg

I look back over at the ERE and notice that it has solidified, the civil war has ended! Is Phyllis still Empress I wonder? Hmmm....

2013-12-02_00100_zpse381eb7c.jpg

Nope.

There is a new Emperor in town and it looks like he is from a randomly generated dynasty. Not one of the Greek powerhouses. This is an interesting development I think.

Not only that but the Empire will be a lot weaker now, with the short reign and vassal levies being low due to just coming out of a rough war. Beginning to think it's Ashraf's chance to pounce.

But first, there has been an annoying whole in the Caliphate. A tiny two county Emirate that has been independent for quite a while. I notice that its Emir is Levantine like me, and send a request for vassalization.

2013-12-02_00101_zps46b53d2c.jpg

He swears fealty cleaning up an ugly border without having to declare war.

While I'm waying the options on what to do with the Empire, I'm still wondering why I can't declare Jihads but the Christians can. Its a little nerve-racking that the Crusading Era has begun but the Jihadi Era hasn't. Oh well, I guess that just means I will have to make use of the Invasion option. It's still for a Kingdom level title, so its kind of a wash that Jihads aren't available yet.

Meanwhile I get a pop up that this philosopher named Abu'l-Barakat al-Baghdadi has arrived in our court along with a philosophical work called Kitab al-Mu'tabar which means The Book of What Has Been Established by Personal Reflection. I linked the wikipedia page regarding this philosopher for any of you that care to read about the real guy. Apparently in this reality he has shown up a century before he did in real life.

2013-12-02_00102_zpsd5dde924.jpg

After Baghdadi shows up in Baghdad, I launch the Abbasid Invasion for Anatolia against the Emperor Lazaros.

2013-12-02_00105_zpsf585a73f.jpg

Finally a chance to increase the power of the Caliphate. Something that we haven't done since we arrived in Baghdad. If this goes well, at least I'll be able to say I accomplished something other than killing a 10 year old girl on the rack.

The war starts out with a major battle. A huge battle! I was outnumbered by some 2000 men, not that big of a difference when you look at the total number of forces to start out.

It was a long fight I truly thought I'd be defeated as well. Things went back and forth here and there. But the Byzzie morale fell quicker than ours and the Caliphate forces won the day.

2013-12-02_00110_zps77682c4a.jpg

After that battle things really came down to mopping up the soldiers that retreated. I would also occupy one county, which would prove to the only occupation of the war. It seems the large battles swung the war score in my favor so much that it wouldn't be too much longer before Lazaros has to surrender.

Another couple battles were launched after those with Ashraf capturing some key figures of the Empire and in one instance slaying one.

2013-12-02_00113_zpsa793d228.jpg

A couple minor skirmishes would occur after those battles giving me 100% warscore and able to enforce my demands against Lazaros.

Now enforcing demands during in an invasion I learned isn't necessarily the best thing to do unless you've occupied all the lands. Why? Because silly me, I forgot that if you don't occupy those counties the lords stay in power and simply become your vassals.

Mistake I know. All I can say is oopsies...

2013-12-02_00122_zpse8e1bdc3.jpg

So now I have a bunch of Greek and Orthodox Vassals which is a big issue being a Levantine Caliph. Thus, I sit and think for a little while on what on Earth I should do to stabilize things a little bit.

First I create the Sultanate of Anatolia, probably a bad idea as well but I do anyway.

Next I notice that all the former duchies have disappeared and Anatolia is ruled over by mere Greek Doux. Thinking about it I decide to experiment a little. I pick out random Counts in de jure duchies that sort of kind of liked me and elevated them to Emirs, after the promotion I would send them a request to convert to Sunni Islam.

Surprisingly to me the plan worked, and Ashraf now had a bunch of Sunni Greek vassals instead. One of said converts just so happened to be of the Doukas Dynasty which made me giggle a little bit.

2013-12-02_00135_zpsfe85f4ee.jpg

I intend to hand the Sultanate over to one of these newly converted Emirs at some point. But for now I decide to wait and see which one will be the most loyal and best suited for the job.

All the while Ashraf celebrates this large victory with Egyptian belly-dancers. Unfortunately he has four wives and can't take one of them as a wife. Which is upsetting, perhaps we need to send a wife to the rack to free up marital room.

2013-12-02_00142_zpsba8e98b5.jpg

While enjoying the temptation of the belly-dancers the Pope calls the Second Crusade for Aquitaine. The First Crusade had been a success. However it had also installed a Cerneu who was quick to change allegiances to the Ummayads. Thus, another Crusade was needed to secure Aquitaine yet again.

2013-12-02_00143_zpsc7e1e719.jpg

Which I don't really care, because its a lot better than the Pope deciding its high time to Crusade for Jerusalem. Such a war would have been painful for Ashraf having just ended a bloody war with the ERE.

The Crusade should be quick too. The Ummayads are no longer in power, and the new dynasty that replaced it was embroiled by Civil War and the constant Holy Wars declared by Navarra and Galicia.

Also the Abbasid decadence has finally dropped below 50% and is sitting at 41. That is an accomplishment all on its own. I do imagine it will skyrocket once we leave to our next country.

With the Crusade kicking off Ashraf hands the Sultanate of Anatolia over to Pashalis of Selinus. In a way I was really thinking about naming the blind Emir Doukas as Sultan just to slap Lazaros in the face. But raising a random family up to Sultan seemed more fitting for some reason.

2013-12-02_00145_zps880b106d.jpg

Strategically this is probably one giant ass mistake. Pashalis has a lot of power, and could easily gain independence in a faction war, or worse. But in a way I wouldn't complain if that does happen after we leave. Seeing an independent Sultanate of Anatolia and how it interacts with the ERE afterwards could be pretty entertaining years down the road.

Ashraf growing bored retires to Baghdad Correctional to put one of his prisoners on the rack.

2013-12-02_00147_zpsb16caa1a.jpg

Now a timeout to admire the character page of Ashraf with a map of the new possession of Anatolia.

2013-12-02_00153_zps0212d95b.jpg

Still a few blemishes of purple around us but I'm pretty sure that can be cleaned up rather quickly at some point.

Which is when Paradox decides to interrupt our time out with the Third Orthodox Uprising.

2013-12-02_00157_zps620c4b81.jpg

Ashraf's stepmother Touran is still spymaster. Probably not a good thing. Not sure why I kept her in that position. I guess probably because she has the best intrigue ability.

But anyway an argument arises between her and one of my wife's regarding some random claim. I take the viewpoint of the wife in this instance because it gives Ashraf the ambitious trait which I think suits him rather well.

2013-12-02_00159_zpsb3fa13d6.jpg

Although I'm still clueless as to which claim this is all about. I suppose just a random event.

I then get message spam.

Apparently Ashraf's wives are unhappy with him now that he's ambitious and two of them decide to attempt divorce.

2013-12-02_00161_zps8691d8a2.jpg

One decides to stay with Ashraf, the other runs away in fear of her life. Maybe she realized I was thinking of putting her on the rack so I could marry one of those bellydancers.

Following the divorce the Crusade for Aquitaine has come to an end with the Christians being victorious as I had thought they would. Only this time Aquitaine would be given to the Karling King of West Francia. Which sadly makes his nation about the size of normal France at the 1066 start.

2013-12-02_00166_zps30f3859e.jpg

As you can see down in the lower left hand corner Navarra is on a rampage. They've been taking advantage of instability in the region and expanding like crazy. Before long they may very well be the dominant power in Iberia.

Which is where we will end this update. Not much else to report at the moment. We have 12 years left as Caliph before moving on to the next great adventure.