A question which can be taken the wrong way..

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kaampper

DerKeijzer
75 Badges
Apr 5, 2013
  • Empire of Sin - Premium Edition
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Empire of Sin
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
I would like to know when you run your gang if you can play like a real gang does most of the time, which is ethnically motivated.

Like the Italians only using Italians, and the Irish only using Irish people.

A question like this will quickly become hated on by SJW but truth is that i want to experience a game like this to its fullest immersion and with gang that means ethnic segregation.

Of course in games like Saints Row it worked really well, but in a setting like this game i doubt it.

Just a question tho, hope i get an answer.

Just to clarify, im not saying it should be a setting or anything but like when im playing an Italian can i chose only to hire italian lieutenants and such..

Thanks in advance.

• 3Like
Reactions:
This post is written tongue-in-cheek.

ethnic segregation.

Given the game's celebration of sin, transgressions against 2020 moral standards should be expected and required.

(riffing off of another thread that literally interprets the game's title as "Empire of immoral, selfish, shameful, harmful, or alienating actions, thoughts, or words" ...quoting the Wikipedia article about sin).

;)

Reactions:
Given the game's celebration of sin, transgressions against 2020 moral standards should be expected and required.

(riffing off of another thread that literally interprets the game's title as "Empire of immoral, selfish, shameful, harmful, or alienating actions, thoughts, or words" .

Tribe mentality or segregation is not a sin though...

Reactions:
which is ethnically motivated.

I wouldn't say they are (or were) ethnically motivated. They were driven by necessity and desire for money. The reason why tended to stick together (and in many cases within a family, not an ethnicity) is because these were the people they could trust.

In any case, yes, this would need to be a thing if the game was aiming at historical authenticity (which, if I understand correctly) it's not.

Reactions:
I wouldn't say they are (or were) ethnically motivated. They were driven by necessity and desire for money. The reason why tended to stick together (and in many cases within a family, not an ethnicity) is because these were the people they could trust.

In any case, yes, this would need to be a thing if the game was aiming at historical authenticity (which, if I understand correctly) it's not.
true, i regretted it when i said they were ethnically motivated, but i meant whit that is the grouping was ethnically . The Arians only use Whites, the Irish just Irish , the Mexicans Mafia only Mexicans etc.

in fact i dont know about 'big' organizations that run with multiple ethincities.

Reactions:
true, i regretted it when i said they were ethnically motivated, but i meant whit that is the grouping was ethnically . The Arians only use Whites, the Irish just Irish , the Mexicans Mafia only Mexicans etc.

in fact i dont know about 'big' organizations that run with multiple ethincities.

Yeah, I see your point.
In real life I guess you'd be right. But this is a game where they're (understandably) going for a different approach.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It doesn't look like the question of ethnicity/race is being explored in this game, which is a shame of course, but it's understandable. I imagine that developers don't want to over-complicate the game and want player to have more freedom. You're of course free to hire only Italian/Irish/African-American gangsters if you wish.

I'm a big fan of the mob genre having consumed a lot of books, movies and documentaries on the topic. That said I can see where real world mobsters are coming from (even if they are awful people). Would be good for immersion if it was to be segregated by nationalities but in game mechanics you would probably just be screwing yourself to try and pull it off. Looks like too many of the npc;s are women, minorities or other individuals that would never work with each other in that period. A pity for the history I suppose but I'll use whatever characters can give me an advantage. :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Honestly, I would not even have seen a problem until the strawman came out. Seriously, was that necessary? Also, culture and ethnicity are distinct concepts, and we're talking about culture here.

I do agree with the actual point, though. Cultural aspects played a major role in why and how some organized crime factions did work together (e.g. the National Crime Syndicate consisting of Italian and Jewish organizations), while others didn't. More importantly though, they're an important part of crime fiction. Real-life crime families do tend to be a lot more pragmatic and lean less on tradition than the ones we see on TV and in movies, but the intention of a game like this is to recreate the feeling of crime fiction first and foremost - and having culturally mostly homogenous gangs does play a part in that.