• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Looking good. Is the apparent power vacuum east of your homelands something that you're interested in filling or is Rome next after you've built your power in the west?

Great work. I had the same thought as Malurous. Are you planning on jumping on Egypt? That would certainly be interesting.

Utica cannot into Carthage? :(

Besides that: interesting Mod and well played so far.

Last edited:
At least the war against the Ilergetes, tough though it was, has secured you three more provinces. The rest of Iberia seems yours for the taking, even if the Volcae are quite large. Good to see how strong your economy is, especially in comparison with Rome.

Yeah, when I want to expand more in Iberia I can do so easily, will keep an eye on the Ilergetes, if the Volcae decide to invade I need to get there first (alternatively, I just conquer them and be done with it, works as well).

presume you're not too worried at the collapse of Egypt and its good to see that Rome has failed to expand

Egypt may have fallen on hard times, but it still seems to have some fight left in them, so I just have to hope they can recover enough to prevent further Seleucid (and Macedonian) expansion at their expense. Rome is expanding, slowly, in Thrace of all places. But yeah, it is nice to see them not doing more serious expansion.

Looking good. Is the apparent power vacuum east of your homelands something that you're interested in filling or is Rome next after you've built your power in the west?

Rome is next. Going after Egypt would result in conflict with Macedonia and the Seleucids as well (they all have cores on each others capitals).

Great work. I had the same thought as Malurous. Are you planning on jumping on Egypt? That would certainly be interesting.

Interesting, I could see that, but probably not a good idea to do so anyway. If I planned to avoid fighting Rome for a very long time it could probably work though.

Utica cannot into Carthage? :(

Besides that: interesting Mod and well played so far.

Eh? Having difficulties understanding exactly what that first sentence is supposed to mean :p. Is it slight disappointment in the fact that Utica still keeps its status as a semi-independent part of the mighty Carthaginian Empire and is not brought under my direct rule, or is it a reflection on the difficulties Utica will face if trying to supplant and take Carthages place (as despite being as good a province as Carthage, it is still the only one they have)?

Oh, and thanks.

A Puny AAR

War looms on the horizon. The Romans are fighting in the east against Thracians, Dardanians and Dacians, of whom only the Dardanians are any sort of potential threat. And Egypt has been weakened by unsuccessful wars and may seem to be on the verge of collapse. However as attacking Egypt would bring conflict with Macedonia and the Seleucid Empire, Carthage decides to prop them up instead, sending gifts and hoping they are spent wisely. It is against Rome we will go to war, and after they conquer Thrace we declare war on them. The first battle is a naval engagement outside the eastern coast of Sicily. Our main fleet of 40 ships meet a large Roman fleet of 54 ships and crush it with limited losses.

5zqtyv.jpg

We quickly besiege and take control of Messana and cross over the strait to Rhegion. The Roman army attacks our army and after a fierce battle we are forced to abandon our siege and head back to Sicily to recuperate.

20r7pdw.jpg

Things may not look great, but we leave the straits open and the Romans take the bait. Their army is beaten and pursued until it has been completely crushed. After that we once again invade around Rhegion, this time taking the city and marching further into Roman territory. The Romans are unable to gather any army large enough to threaten us, and as our armies push into Lucania the Romans have had enough. They accept to cede Messana, Sicily is now ours!

2hchvee.jpg

Unfortunately our manpower is depleted, again, and we have to spend some years in peace. And as we end in the year 556 AUC this is how it looks in the rest of the world. Egypt managed to hold of the Seleucids in a recent war, paying only a small sum of gold for peace, and this was despite Egypt being embroiled in civil war at the time. The Seleucids are still going strong, having conquered most of Armenia. They have the Iberians paying tribute and Pontus and Nabatea are both allies, of those Pontus is growing quite strong themselves.

The only weakness of the Seleucid Empire is extremely low stability (and a lack of good generals, they currently have one reasonably good (7), one decent (6) and a few horribly bad ones (4 and below), not that their rivals necessarily have better ones) causing a noticeable reduction in income (in the previous update they had 10.1, now they have around 7, and as their army is so massive the maintenance cost is 6 so not much for their coffers, the low stability may very well persist for quite some time; my income on the other hand has increased and is around 15).

Can note that the barbaric Getae have expanded even more, certainly something I would be slightly concerned about, had I been playing Macedonia (which really should try to do something about the Romans in Thrace). Macedonia has been peaceful this decade, if they did anything I did not notice it. Can also note that our Massaesyli neighbours is suffering from a civil war, one which the rebels will win since the Massaesyli army decided to join them (it was started by their general), the loyalists have no military whatsoever.

a3gpld.jpg

Is there any chance you could 'help' the loyalists/rebels by invading the other faction's territory? You might have to hold onto a province or two to help with reconstruction there afterwards.

I get the feeling poor Agbal Eugorid will be rather vexed that he won a massive naval victory over Rome yet gained no popularity back home! A good and convincing, if once again brusing, victory over Rome then. Now that Sicily is secured that should give you a strong base to continue your expansion into Iberia, or indeed wherever you wish to focus your attention.

Very nice to have all of Sicily. You're now completely safe as long as the navy holds up.

Between not expanding north (or much anywhere for that matter) and getting beaten up by you, Rome doesn't seem to be having a particularly good game so far.

Is there any chance you could 'help' the loyalists/rebels by invading the other faction's territory? You might have to hold onto a province or two to help with reconstruction there afterwards.

As I could get Siga (their capital (currently not due to the civil war) and only coastal province) that way it is certainly an interesting idea.

I get the feeling poor Agbal Eugorid will be rather vexed that he won a massive naval victory over Rome yet gained no popularity back home! A good and convincing, if once again brusing, victory over Rome then. Now that Sicily is secured that should give you a strong base to continue your expansion into Iberia, or indeed wherever you wish to focus your attention.

Him and all other successful admirals.
-So you sunk the entire enemy fleet, good on you, nobody cares.

Utica :sad:

It is a nice province. Think I'll take it.

Very nice to have all of Sicily. You're now completely safe as long as the navy holds up.

Between not expanding north (or much anywhere for that matter) and getting beaten up by you, Rome doesn't seem to be having a particularly good game so far.

Certainly.

Only just discovered this, and I'm liking it.

Good to hear.

nice work gaining Sicily, its a pity your manpower seems to be such a constraint on the speed at which you can declare war .. but it does indicate that Rome might be quite weak?

Well it all depends on where they keep their army, and the last war could have been lost if they just gathered their army further away (destroyed at least one and severly mauled another 10k army, if they had joined up before facing me I would have been forced to retreat and been unable to occupy anything on the Italian mainland as I no longer had any manpower with which to replace my losses).

A Puny AAR

The civil war in Massaesyli is nearing its end, but there is still time to intervene and seize Siga. Unfortunately there is too much opposition in the senate for us to attack the Massaesyli rebels, so we have no choice but to let it run its course. However the senate do not mind ending Utican autonomy, so after some short preparations we declare war on Utica and our army meets the Utican army in battle.

8z2n9u.jpg

We are, obviously, victorious, and after a brief siege Utica surrenders and is now directly controlled by Carthage. As Utica is a wealthy province with similar culture (phoenician rather then carthaginian but still in the same group) our manpower is increased with a noticeable amount (about 10k it seems, didn't check very closely).

6swepl.jpg

Not much really happens, as we fail the mission to destroy Rome we get a new one to build up our manpower reserve. Going to take a bit longer then expected as a rebellion in Syracuse took some effort to defeat and our losses were rather large in doing so. Rome decide to cause some trouble in Messana, but as I wish to recover our manpower before going to war we wait. But we will act, eventually. But for now peace and going for the research omen to help our lagging research (it is not too bad, but as we have expanded it is a bit behind Rome).

b835ah.jpg

So in 567 AUC we look at the world, first let us compare incomes.

34gwu11.jpg

As can be seen we are the wealthiest, a large part actually comes from trade (external trade is profitable, still taxes makes up the greatest part of our income) which is nice. The Seleucids have expanded but their income remains close to what it earlier was, they do have a good diplomatic situation with several countries paying tribute and a fair amount of allies. One of the Seleucid allies that is doing well is Pontus, its expansion have brought it great wealth and a rather sizeable amount of manpower so is definately worth noticing. Macedonia have conquered Epirus but would greatly benefit from also throwing the Romans out of Thrace, while the Romans who have been doing very little but remain quite powerful. Egypt on the other hand is slowly losing ground. And it is mostly because of the Nabateans, because it is them that fairly often declare war on Egypt for the benefit of their Seleucid allies.

efkyv6.jpg

The Utica manpower boost seems very helpful.

Are Masillia still allied with Rome? Even if they are they seem like the next natural target for Carthage. After all, they are blocking valuable trade routes into Gaul.

Very nice to gain the manpower boost in such a limited war.

Excellent AAR, makes me want to dust off my own, rarely-used copy of Rome.

You're not the only one, this AAR had the same effect on me when it first started, and I actually did it as well. ;)

Great work. I'm going to go against the common opinion here. I think you should ignore Massilia and Spain and focus on Rome. A green Italy sounds good. :)