• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What I'm worried about, mostly , is that these two projects are so close together (even if they have some differences) that you will likely be "fishing in the same pond", and let's face it, that pond isn't very big.

ForzaA said:
What I'm worried about, mostly , is that these two projects are so close together (even if they have some differences) that you will likely be "fishing in the same pond", and let's face it, that pond isn't very big.

I think I see your concerns, but I'd like to think that the pond is only as shallow as our own creativity. :cool:

As for similarities, I see [Aberration II] as becoming increasing unlike Aberration. As we continue to rework each nation and discard some we are using less and less of the original material, or transforming it in such a way that it is similar only in theme, not in execution.

Remember, The Archduke is welcome to join us, as is anyone who feels they have something to add. :)

Matty

I've been lurking for quite a while and, as soon as I have a regular internet connection (i.e. Easter), I'll be very happy to lend a hand with some of the flavour / storyline stuff. Until then, I'd just like to say that I think you Aberration II guys have been doing a great, and highly creative, job.

Keep it up, people... :)

If we're agreed that Aberration and 'Aberration II' are separate mods, it's time we make it official. But before anyone goes talking to an admin, we need to straighten out what that means and make sure people are in favour of it.

If we try to keep this on Paradox Plaza, we'd be asking for:
- A new forum with whatever name we agree on, and mass transfer of important threads to the new forum OR that this forum be renamed, ArchDuke gets a new forum and Abe I threads get transferred en masse to that forum
- Moderator privileges in that forum for MattyG and probably a few others

There are other options though, such as asking for a home on an established Paradox fansite like Languish, or setting up our own with Proboards and the like. But AFAIK Paradox Plaza is the place to be if we want to attract the attention of EUII players.

We also need to sort out the credits for our mod, both on the boilerplate and in the files. MattyG probably has a good idea who did what on the betas, but it'll be very confusing to players to see two quite similar mods which claim to be separate. Players of Aberration II who've been away for a while will also wonder what's happened. If we start getting messages like 'u noobs ripped off ArchDuke's mod :mad:' or 'y did abe 2 get canelced???', don't say I didn't warn you.

On the naming issue, we don't *have* to take all reference to Aberration from the title. In fact I think it's better if we don't, to acknowledge that a large amount of ArchDuke's ideas will survive in this mod, such as the choice of European majors, and to indicate the continuity with what we've already done under the 'Aberration II' title. So ideally we'd have a name that strongly suggests Aberration, eg by keeping the ending '-ation'.

Wise_One said:
I've been lurking for quite a while and, as soon as I have a regular internet connection (i.e. Easter), I'll be very happy to lend a hand with some of the flavour / storyline stuff. Until then, I'd just like to say that I think you Aberration II guys have been doing a great, and highly creative, job.

Keep it up, people... :)

Thank you on behalf of all the contributors. Which you will soon be one of! ;)

Incompetent said:
If we're agreed that Aberration and 'Aberration II' are separate mods, it's time we make it official. But before anyone goes talking to an admin, we need to straighten out what that means and make sure people are in favour of it.

If we try to keep this on Paradox Plaza, we'd be asking for:
- A new forum with whatever name we agree on, and mass transfer of important threads to the new forum OR that this forum be renamed, ArchDuke gets a new forum and Abe I threads get transferred en masse to that forum
- Moderator privileges in that forum for MattyG and probably a few others

There are other options though, such as asking for a home on an established Paradox fansite like Languish, or setting up our own with Proboards and the like. But AFAIK Paradox Plaza is the place to be if we want to attract the attention of EUII players.

We also need to sort out the credits for our mod, both on the boilerplate and in the files. MattyG probably has a good idea who did what on the betas, but it'll be very confusing to players to see two quite similar mods which claim to be separate. Players of Aberration II who've been away for a while will also wonder what's happened. If we start getting messages like 'u noobs ripped off ArchDuke's mod :mad:' or 'y did abe 2 get canelced???', don't say I didn't warn you.

On the naming issue, we don't *have* to take all reference to Aberration from the title. In fact I think it's better if we don't, to acknowledge that a large amount of ArchDuke's ideas will survive in this mod, such as the choice of European majors, and to indicate the continuity with what we've already done under the 'Aberration II' title. So ideally we'd have a name that strongly suggests Aberration, eg by keeping the ending '-ation'.

Sorry, but I already made contact with BiB a couple of days ago to float the idea of us having a separate forum. Thought I'd get that rolling and see what the response would be. We could always have said 'sorry, we've changed our minds.' I haven't properly heard back from him. No doubt this is not something they make rash decisions about.

The Archduke has generously offered that we could stay here, but I realise that will be very impracticle.

I understand your concerns about naming and associations. I think that we could both weather the cricitcisms but also avoid them as much as possible by posting clearly on all the various fora about the change, having the change stated through our signatures etc.

Maybe instead of -ation at the end we could have Aber- as a prefix. Like Abernoodle.

OK, I was being deliberately flippant. :D

I am not certain that having ation at the end will be enough of a connection for the kind of ignorant people who would hurl unenlightened abuse at us. Some examples: Historation, Revisation, Deviation. If anything, something like Deviation stikes me as sound more like we are ripping off Aberration than that we are acknowledging our roots. But, that's just my opinion.

there are plenty of mods that don't get their own subforum, so I wouldn't count on that happening. (Though you might ask Archduke or the AGCEEP what the going rate is, in goats or beer)

ForzaA said:
there are plenty of mods that don't get their own subforum, so I wouldn't count on that happening. (Though you might ask Archduke or the AGCEEP what the going rate is, in goats or beer)

I have no goats, and it definitely isn't worth giving away beer for!

So, we have a few names here.

I think we need to have a poll.

Anyone know how to post a thread with a poll in it??? :eek:o

Thanks.

Hopefully I am diplomatic. I always mean to be. :)

As for names, how about

History Reforged

or

Historia Nova (latin, a New History)

MattyG said:
4. Direction and Leadership

If Aberration II were to go to a structure like the one for Aberration, my personal involvement would be predicated on that leader being someone who has a longstanding contribution to the thematic development of Aberration II, for which there are (currently) really only four candidates: Incompetant (despite his long absence), Calipah, mikl and myself. Not that I think we need that structure, but that's only my opinion.

MattyG

I really like the way this is seen a team environment. I would not change the structure we have, except that perhap MattyG and one other should be moderators/bug-fixers/Beta-issuers/cheap-manufatory-deleters. Two people means that if one goes missing we have some continuity, and when both are on deck we have spirited debate and a basic quality control system at the top.

I cannot do that job, but I nominate Incompetent and Calipah.

Interregnum

I propose Interregnum

An interregnum is a period between monarchs, between popes of the Roman Catholic Church, emperors of Holy Roman Empire, polish kings (elective monarchy) or between consuls of the Roman Republic. It can also refer to the period between the pastorates of ministers in some Protestant churches, or generally, any gap in the continuity of a government, organization, or social order.

In Roman law, interregnum was usually accompanied by the proclamation of justitium (or state of exception, as did Giorgio Agamben demonstrate in his eponymic book - 2005). This is not surprising, as when a sovereign died - or when the Pope died - tumultus (upheavals) usually accompanied the news of a sovereign's death. Progressively, justitium came to significate the public mourning of the sovereign, and not anymore justitium, auctoritas being (mythically) attached to the physical body of the sovereign.