• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It’s just his love of money that stops him from pursuing the art of the ethereal word.

I just thought this was worth repeating. He's got a whole repetoire of such comments by all appearances.

You know, I like this set up for game information, Story. But something is troubling me.

Why would a book about the kingdom of Jerusalem be so darn important? I mean, its not like the KoJ was some sort of super power or secret.

Hmmm.... What have you been up to?

Hmmm...methinks you did not survive the game quite like you wanted. Perhaps the KoJ was a short-lived kingdom like say, Atlantis. Thus, their exploits might seem like some legend in the myst - Arthurian, if you will. That's just my guess. The book surely must contain something rather exciting and unique as I also think the General was not quite "ready" to hand the book over.

jwolf – One of my favorite series is Asimov’s Foundation Trilogy. Although I didn’t remember the quote it probably was buried somewhere in the back of my head and was the inspiration for my phrase. :)

Valdemar – The woman I’m thinking of introducing has dark hair for a very good reason, which will become evident later.

Stnylan – Oh yes Higgins waxes poetic with his descriptive phrases with the best of them.

Secret Master – You guys have got to stop reading my mind! Rowe has the same problem with this as you’ll soon find out. In the next post or two all will be revealed. All right that was a lie but most will be revealed. :D

Coz1 – I’m playing the game as I write and I’ve only played from 1150 to 1171. I have no idea what is going to happen but I just came up with a real cheesy way to introduce the game play to the story. :D Yes there really is a game somewhere in all this. I thought it would only be a couple of post to set everything up but boy was I wrong about that! :eek:

Joe

"What is this all about?"

Higgins eyes squinted into slits as he pursed his lips, his mouth showing distaste and irritation. He glanced at Pasquale before looking once again at me.

"I’m afraid there was an most unfortunate accident with the General. My associates went to his hiding place while he was away and retrieved the book you hold in your hands. But before they could leave the General returned and surprised them in his apartment. A fight ensued and the General suffered a mortal knife wound. Please believe me Mr. Rowe but this is not now I normally conduct business."

I looked at the two gray suited men standing by the window. To look at them you would think they hadn’t a care in the world much less the death of a man on their hands. There was no look of smug self-satisfaction on their faces, just the professional stare of men who did their job and did it well. I looked back at Higgins who sat there with a guarded look on his face.

"Is this book really worth a man’s live?"

"Mr. Rowe it pains me to have to be the one to tell you the facts of life in the Middle East. This is a world filled with vile and perilous men who will stop at nothing to achieve their goals. They chew up people like you and spit out the remains like you spit out phlegm. Am I getting through to you Mr. Rowe? If you aren’t willing to shed a little blood you’d better turn around and run back to your safe little college in the other Washington!"

I didn’t like what Higgins was saying but I knew he was right.

Higgins took a deep breath and visibly calmed himself.

"Now where was I? Ah yes. The General’s death was most regretful but possibly it solves another problem that we faced. The General was meeting with several knowledgeable men in ancient lore who were knowingly or not helping him understand what it was he really had. I believe he finally found something hidden within this manuscript of great importance. I also know that the General was corresponding with our competitors and we were worried that he was passing on information vital to our quest. While in the General’s apartment Mr. Green found a letter addressed to these men and brought it to me. And as I feared he was indeed passing on information to them that we needed. If they’d received this letter our enterprise would be in grave danger."

Higgins paused. And reached over for his glass of wine and took a healthy sip all the while never taking his eyes off me. I still had the feeling that I was being spoon fed by Higgins and I was coming to the conclusion that it was time to take the knife and fork in my own hands but to do that I needed answers.

"Since you have the book what information did the General find that you can’t?"

Pasquale started to speak but a quick hand gesture from Higgins silenced him.

"Unfortunately it isn’t as simple as that. In Istanbul in my little meeting with the General he related to me the interest that he had in Middle Eastern history. From his youngest days he could remember his father reading to him from different parts of the book. Later he learned Latin so that he could read it himself. This familiarity with its contents, I believe, proved a great help to him once he realized that there was more to the book than met the eye. But even then it has taken him weeks of research to find that morsel of information that he planned to send off to our rivals. We don't have weeks or even days to study the book and find out what the General found. So you see Mr. Rowe this is not just a book but much, much more. Maybe it would help you to understand if you read the letter that my men found in the General’s room? It will enlighten you as why I place such importance on this ancient tome. Perhaps it will even help explain why I felt that our little adventure was in danger of failing."

Mr. Higgins reached into his inside right breast coat pocket and withdrew a single sheet of paper folded in half. Suddenly a dog started barking outside on the street followed by someone shouting. Mr. Brown and Mr. Green leaned out of the window to see down to see the street below. After a moment they turned back and shrugged their shoulders. Higgins turned back to me and imitated his men’s shrug but his took on an added meaning of amused apology at everyone’s nerves. He then quickly thrust his hand forward and held the sheet of paper out to me.

"Here read this and tell me what you think? The General was rather careful with how he conveyed his message so you will have to read between the lines."

I reached out my hand almost taking the letter then hesitated.

"You mean it’s written in code?"

"Ha, Code! I wouldn’t raise it to such lofty heights and praise as to call it a code. Might as well compare a child’s stick figure drawing to the Mon Lisa as compare this with a code. No dear sir he merely wanted to write it so that it would appear to be nothing more than the innocent writings of a professor or other scholarly person. It simply appears to be a collection of arcane information nothing more. This way if anyone read it and were not enlightened with the knowledge that there was a hidden message in this letter it wouldn’t be found."

"Why would he have to worry about it being intercepted by a third party? He felt he was safe here didn’t he?"

"Have you had your head buried so deep in the London Museum that you aren’t aware that Europe is in turmoil? There are German, French and English agents throughout the Middle East. The English control Egypt and don’t hesitate to intercept and read anything they damn well please. The General couldn’t ignore even this unlikely chance. Call him paranoid if you will, I on the other hand applaud his precautions. He planned to safely send this letter to our competitors of that I have no doubt. However we have the letter and hopefully it will be a day or two before they become suspicious. We must use those few days to put as much distance between them and us as possible."

"Where are these confederates?"

"My guess is they are now somewhere in Cairo."

"They don’t know where the General was hiding?"

"I think not. The General wanted to be sure of his new companions and I’m sure he was checking into their reputations. You can’t blame him for wanting to live to spend his promised newfound fortune can you? The man wasn’t a complete fool, only partly so. Now sir would you like to read it or not?

Higgins' hand with the letter was still stretched out to me. I couldn’t stop my hand from reaching out and taking a hold of it. There was a momentary tug as if Higgins was suddenly reluctant to let go, then he weakly smiled opened his hand and sat back. Only the crinkling of the paper as I unfolded it disturbed the quiet in the room. Before I starting reading I looked at my newly acquired companions. Green and Brown were once again imitating wall fixtures standing by the window. Mr. Pasquale had stopped his search for the mother load under his fingernails and sat watching me much like a cat staring at a mouse. And of course Higgins was sitting like a judge waiting to hear what the accused had to say before passing judgment. I started reading…

Last edited:
Storey said:
Coz1 – I’m playing the game as I write and I’ve only played from 1150 to 1171. I have no idea what is going to happen but I just came up with a real cheesy way to introduce the game play to the story. :D Yes there really is a game somewhere in all this. I thought it would only be a couple of post to set everything up but boy was I wrong about that! :eek:

Joe

That would almost make it a CK game :p

V

Storey, this AAR is a real treat. I remember when I read your "Who Killed Cologne" when it was nominated for an Oscar and wishing I could have followed it live at the time it was written (it was before my time in the forum). Now I have my chance at last, with a story that promises to be even better. :)

Mr. Rowe needs to lose his squeamishness and naivete pretty quickly. ;)

Valdemar said:
That would almost make it a CK game :p

V
You know, when I first spotted this, I thought "Shouldn't this be in the CK forum?" and then I realized it was an EU2 mod.

jwolf, I'm wondering if Rowe is really as naive as he pretends to be. He seems pretty damn observant....

Secret Master said:
You know, when I first spotted this, I thought "Shouldn't this be in the CK forum?" and then I realized it was an EU2 mod.

jwolf, I'm wondering if Rowe is really as naive as he pretends to be. He seems pretty damn observant....
...of course...Rowe is after all an evil genius hell-bent on making the entire world his demesne...the naivete is a cunning front until Rowe's evil master plan can swing into action...

...and jwolf, he will of course lose his squeamishness and naivete when the time is right for his final takeover! :wacko: ;) :D

*rubs hands together evilly*

I loved the brief moment of the dog barking outside. It gave the last post a nice feel to it.

Now I wonder what that letter said? And will we even be able to understand the secret message it contains? Hmmmm...

Valdemar- I guess it could. It’s getting about time to buy the game. I’ve been holding out for the 1.04 patch. ;)

Jwolf- Secret master Here’s a little background on Rowe. He’s somewhere in his mid to late twenty’s. He was born and raised in Eastern Washington, which is mainly farming country. His knowledge about the current European situation is probably about the same as the average person from that part of the country, which is he hasn’t really been following it much. It’s just 1934 and not much it known about Hitler in that part of the USA. His passion is Archeology and even when he was in London he buried himself in the London museum.
So he’s naïve about the political situation but he’s not naïve about people. I won’t go beyond that since he's still growing in my head.

Hajji Giray I :D :D

Coz1 – I have to force myself not to put too much detail into the story otherwise it will collapse under the shear weight of it. I have a bad habit of over doing the atmosphere and it slows down the story. But I wanted to show that even though everyone was sitting around having a civilized conversation there was still a great deal of tension in the room. Oh sure you'll be able to figure it out. It's so hokey that anyone can do it. Of course you'll have to have a Buck Rodgers decoder ring to figure it out. You have one don't you? :p

Joe

You almost make burying oneself in the London Museum ouy to be a bad thing.

I though the hand-over sequence was brilliant.

First Chapter First Page

Roll Call Of Heroes

January 1150 – Kingdom of Jerusalem

Baudouin III Traded time for action and ordered that all effort be made to form an alliance with the Duchy of Antioch and the County of Tripoli as soon as possible. The Ayyubids to the East were in a weak alliance and should be attacked as soon as the alliance is joined.

In September 1151 The Kingdom of Jerusalem declared war upon Ayyubids and their ally the Hedjaz. The County of Tripoli and the Duchy of Antioch joined Jerusalem. The Hedjaz played no meaningful role in the war. Both allies started requiting men and marching toward the enemy.

October 1151 Gerard de Ridefort Yielded the field to the Ayyubids in Syria and retreat back to the County of Tripoli. What was going to be a war of maneuver changed with this defeat. It was decided that the Ayyubids’ army was going to have to be destroyed before any cities were besieged.

November1151 Raynald de Chatillon Raged into Jordan like an avenging angel where he fought the largest battle in the war and defeated Nur ad Din. As quickly as that the fortunes of war shifted and the alliance advanced on all fronts.

February 1152 the Armée du Jerusalem arrived in Syria and started to besiege the city.

April 1152 the Templars arrived in Jordan and started a siege.

September 1152 and the Rum Seljuks declare war upon the Duchy of Antioch. They are joined by the Danishmends. Both the County of Tripoli and Jerusalem join the Duchy of Antioch. This happened just as victory is looking certain over the Ayyubids. Within a month the Duchy of Antioch sank under a flood of attackers.

October 1152 the last army of the Ayyubids is destroyed and a siege of Nuyssaybin begins.

September 1153 in an attempt to save the Duchy of Antioch the main army of Jerusalem attacks the combined army of the Rum Seljuks and the Danishmends in Aleppo. It is a total disaster as not a single soldier survives.

January 1155 the Templars capture Jordan.

March 1156 Syria falls leaving only one province controlled by the Ayyubids.

July1157 Humphrey II de Toron Evades a large enemy force from Rum Seljuks and captures the province of Nuyssaybin from the Ayyubids. The Ayyubids accept the Kingdom of Jerusalem’s peace offer and give up Nuyssaybin and Jordan. Nuyssaybin is too far away to defend but maybe it will distract the Rum Seljuks who are advancing with tens of thousands of men.

August 1157 finds the Duchy of Antioch defeated and annexed by the Rum Seljuks. The Kingdom of Jerusalem could do nothing to stop this disaster. The Rum Seljuks start pouring men into the County of Tripoli. Less than 6000 men are still under arms in the Kingdome of Jerusalem. With so few men they fail to stem the tide. The Rum Seljuks capture Nuyssaybin.

September 1157 and finally peace is reached with the Rum Seljuks for the price of Nuyssaybin. Jordan has been added to the kingdom but a valued ally was lost. Who can the Kingdom find to replace them?

January 1158 The Kingdom of Jerusalem starts sending what money they have in the treasury in an attempt to convince the Fatimids that the Kingdom is their friend. That is attempted in the hope that when the Fatimids’ alliance expires in 1459 they can be talked into joining Jerusalem’s alliance. Just six months before their alliance is to end the Fatimids end up in a war and their allies join. All the money was wasted.

Is it time to turn to the Romans?

Last edited:
stnylan - Thanks for the compliment and Rowe enjoyed his stay in the London Museum although he really wants to go out on a dig. :D

Hmm for some reason the first two lines aren't correct as to their position on the page. First Chapter should be on the far right and First page on the far left. Roll call of Heroes should be in the center.

FINALLY! What was going to be two or three posts to start the game balloned into several posts. This might be the longest lead-in to a game? So the game begins and as you can see it was a mixed bag for the first two years.

Joe

Mixed bag indeed. Seemed extremely touch and go. I don't think it will get much better for you, especially recalling your descriptions of previous attempts from Nav's Roman MES AAR (if I remember correctly). Let's hope you at least survive.

Oh sure you'll be able to figure it out. It's so hokey that anyone can do it. Of course you'll have to have a Buck Rodgers decoder ring to figure it out. You have one don't you?

Damn! And I just sold mine on ebay!! Only fetched $2 for it too. I knew it was worth more. ;)

Higgins eyes squinted into slits as he pursed his lips, his mouth showing distaste and irritation. He glanced at Pasquale before looking once again at me.

"...Please believe me Mr. Jones but this is not now I normally conduct business."
Hey Storey, are you getting confused by Vald's comments about Indy? :p

Other than that undue criticism, I'm greatly enjoying reading this. Very nice prose, like the slowly unfurling plot. :)

EDIT: and there was even more after that update I was commenting on... Hmm, I guess work made me a little fuzzy. Yeah, that's my excuse, I'm sticking with it!

Good good luck with this game. That you already played until 1171 means you survived for at least another twelve years. Which seems quite an achievement already. I'm looking forward to the amazing turnaround where you make the KoJ the dominant regional power. :D

Last edited:
Coz1 – Silly you, now solving the message is going to be really hard! :)

I have some real problem at the moment ( I saved my last game during a long-long war). You don’t want to get into long wars with this mod believe me. :(

Stuyvesant – When I did the first rough draft I used Jones name since the character is loosely based on him. I thought I edited them out and put Rowe in their place but obviously I missed one. :D

Yes I’ve survived until 1171 but it’s a very dicey situation. With my house rules its going to be difficult to become a regional power before 1200 at the earliest. Until then I’m walking on eggs. :eek: ;)

Joe

I'd wait for 1.04 before going too deeply into CK. My 1.03b is just .. unstable. I tried to start a CK AAR, but it kept CtDing. On the other hand, apparently plenty of people are not having that trouble, so..

Your posting is great as always! From what I can gather (not having the MES yet) KoJ's hard to survive with period. It makes for an interesting story!

CatKnight said:
I'd wait for 1.04 before going too deeply into CK. My 1.03b is just .. unstable. I tried to start a CK AAR, but it kept CtDing. On the other hand, apparently plenty of people are not having that trouble, so..

Your posting is great as always! From what I can gather (not having the MES yet) KoJ's hard to survive with period. It makes for an interesting story!

Unfortunately it usually takes 3-4 patches for Paradox to find the game they were trying to make. :( But I'm going to get it soon. :) KoJ is difficult but a lot has to do with how the game starts out. I wanted to get the name of one of the early leaders that I had forgotten so I started up a new game and let it run for the few months necessary for the leader to appear. So to kill time I thought I would get the Duchy of Antioch and the County of Tripoli in my alliance like the first game. So I get Tripoli to join and then try to get Antioch to join but they are in a war. Who with? Yep you guessed it the County of Tripoli. :eek: What was worst is the County of Tripoli had lost a battle and was being besieged by Antioch! So my only ally is getting its ass kicked and I can’t do anything about it. If my game had started out like that I don't think I would have survived for very long.

I would recommend MES and also AGCEEP. Both are interesting additions to EUII but they are both a little more unstable. I've had one saved game refuse to reload with AGCEEP. I saved in the middle of a war but I don't know if that caused the problem?

Joe