• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oct 18, 2004
CIVILISING KOREA

So job to do civilise Korea a.s.a.p. As soon as civilised the game is over.
Level V.Hard/Furious Vanilla V1.03C Requirements 100 Prestige 50 industry 10 military.

For those of you who dont know this is Korea.
korea8rl.jpg

And we want to turn Korea from this
thegleaners8jw.jpg

To this
ourtownlowry1xq.jpg

So a little back ground info.
Korea has a population of approx 48 million. Literacy is 4% and RP's at max are 0.04 YEAH.
Korea at the start has a Reactionary Conservative Party in power like so
korea243jb.jpg

And I'm not gonna change it cos Universal Sufferage costs £48,000.

We have no relations with any great powers.

And our level of technology is a little lacking.
korea290cb.jpg

However we have some good rgo's which can be developed once civilised
korea304vp.jpg

So first things first. I set clippers to buy 1 and lumber and cement to buy 305. Yes 305! Madness yes but I really need those materials for colonising. And if I can stimulate demand then I will get them quicker. Jan 12 I have 90 lumber. Good as this is difficult to get sometimes, especially I presume as an unciv.

So these were the initial budget settings
korea357ae.jpg

So lowest tax possible and max tariff cos it's more efficient than tax as an unciv. This gives some good income for my colonising gambit.
Of course when I look at my pop incomes there starving but it's for the good of the country so...

March 23 I have 305 lumber that should last a few years.

Apr 36 I begin to improve relations with Prussia as they are a Monarchy like me and the have national trait Order. So it's easy to build relations (Monarchy) and military techs are cheaper.

Feb 37 I set a buy order for 1000 cement cos I have to encourage supply for this by a high price. This allows me to colonise.
So when funds became available I slapped down a few colonies
colonies1rl.jpg

So all the usual suspects.

So in Aug 38 disaster strikes and no-one wants to talk to us
korea593xd.jpg

But in December we still have some luck and get a good prize.
korea630wc.jpg

May 39 we have to settle for only 2 claims.
korea709lg.jpg

France holding the other. Nevermind they are valuable.

Next I build some clipper transports.
korea755gq.jpg
korea769xr.jpg

And we get some research points. Hmm it would only take me 4 years to get that many myself.
korea780li.jpg

Now everybody likes a good opera here's 10% of the prestige requirement already.
korea811hb.jpg

Build some MOW's.
korea1207jh.jpg

In April 41 my first claims become ready. However I do not claim them.

May 41 I improve my relations with Prussia.

And then we advance 10 fold.
korea1261ec.jpg

Not bad for 2 claims.Although they are claimable.

Now lets look closer at these techs
newtechs5nn.jpg

Most important is the ability to be able to build something other than irregulars cos they stink. Also if I do ever get any machine parts I can build most factories with freetrade. The other 2 techs help the armies to fight and recover morale.

So Clausewitzian Theory fires improving the armies.
korea1355et.jpg

Then I order some cavalry.
korea1466dy.jpg

Now these guys can really kick some unciv ass.

So all the game I have been looking for a suitable target. Cos when I annex a unciv I get 5PP per province. Well China/Japan are a bit to big to swallow in one go so I'll have to look elsewhere ;)

Hmm so who's it gonna be
korea1532al.jpg

Well at least they pay me for the pleasure. I give them this land cos unciv's can only DOW there neighbour. Yes this is exploitive but what am I gonna do DOW China?? :confused:

Moving troops into position
korea1562pf.jpg

The moment of truth
korea1586up.jpg

Now this guy on the mountain dont stand a chance
korea1599on.jpg

He breaks within a week

Now resistance is futile
korea1764rd.jpg

Welcome under my wing!BB is 18.82

Now I love Prestige but hate BB so lets make a satellite
korea1810ec.jpg

BB now 9.82 I didnt actually want to keep the other provinces. Oh well live and learn.

March 44 order up some more Cav Cur's x20.

Now I just love Prestige
korea1852az.jpg

Now Tripoli being bankrupt is a perfect candidate for annexation.
korea1869qm.jpg

Just takes a long time to get there.

So same old trick.
korea1917ec.jpg

They are swiftly annexed and satellited giving me 151PP and 11.51BB.

Due to Ifnii being complete I place a claim in Draa.

All this time I've been worried about my land border with UK I would hate to be eaten!

However the G.P I have been sucking up to dont like me anymore, a quick check shows Prussia have gone Democratic!

Feb 46 I claim all of my colonies. My PP is 341 6th in world.

However I dont like land borders when I have BB over 10 and a military score of 5 so I trade with UK.
korea2194ld.jpg

In Apr 46 my Prestige is 2nd cos of the AI warmongering.Hehe.

Now Morroco is on the edge of bankruptcy but refuses to go under. I'll watch them like a hawk.

June 47 a new university is founded and I get 3 more. Only -41 now!

Sometimes I like random events
korea2252jj.jpg

Now I dont wanna digress but here's what happens when you come out of Monarchy as Prussia. A nasty little event called Bismarck's counter revolution.
korea2288hi.jpg

Here's my national ranking in Dec 49.
korea2380ez.jpg

Lots of riots happening in my lands next to Siam however the friendly Siamese always retake the territory for me.

Now I could do with some better UK relations
korea2411di.jpg

Built some missions in Algeria to stop the French. Who knows I might get a tech from it.

Now I like this makes it a lot easier
korea2646cz.jpg

Love it a whole 10% of military score.
korea2617dd.jpg

Yep I sure like those British
korea2697of.jpg

Enough came my way till October 56 for these factories
korea2725tn.jpg

And I kept sucking up to those dashing and courageous British :D

I digress again but I like it
korea2797ow.jpg

Prussia are doing well.

July 57 my first factory is ready. I begin promoting my largest pops.

Dec 57 I trade Cameroon for £13000 only after converting the pops to soldiers and demobbing my own
korea2923bm.jpg

Spent a lot of money on promoting pops of course I need some more. So I go to my friends and allies the Brits.
korea3048id.jpg

With this I promote a few more pops

korea3107it.jpg

And then it's enough. I deploy my troops and I am civilised. :)

End of game budget non optimised economy
korea3159ow.jpg

Monster Industry ;)
korea3168nq.jpg

End game screen
korea3198fn.jpg

Overall an enjoyable game. I could have done some other things but my goal was just to civilise my first country. I hope you've enjoyed it. I would also like some feedback so that we can see what other ways are better. :)

Great AAR !

I was about to post 'don't start a Korea AAR without me', but you finished it already. :)

A nice, short little AAR. Of course, this means that now everyone knows the dark secrets of how to civilize Korea. I am afraid that you have released a monster upon this world......

:p

JEEBUS.... I tried playing Korea and Failed miserably by getting my butt kicked by China...

but the war declaring part... how exactly does that work??? are you giving away your capital? then claiming it back??

Good job. And that was quick. WHy not play game entire way?

Cos it's vanilla and no comparision compared to VIP for me.Also I just wanted to civilise Korea. And I played the game mostly as fast as I could because of my goal, therefore I could have made some more long term goals instead of taking the more short term options. Maybe the real reason for starting it was only cos I hadnt civilised a country before and in a way wanted to show how to do it.

achtung

how do you view the BB points???

This is an interesting alternative to the tradition method of civilizing a country. That involves researching Water Wheel power and then doing a block trade for Freedom of Trade, Publishing, Flintlock and up to two other techs. Researching WWP takes most uncvilized countries up to about 1852-3. Tack on a year for building factories and you get to somewhere in the mid-1850's as the earliest you can civilize. I can see advantages and disadvantages to either method. The "Trojan horse gift" of a province to a fellow uncivilized country so you can declare war on them is a nice tactic.

MacroEconomics said:
This is an interesting alternative to the tradition method of civilizing a country. That involves researching Water Wheel power and then doing a block trade for Freedom of Trade, Publishing, Flintlock and up to two other techs. Researching WWP takes most uncvilized countries up to about 1852-3. Tack on a year for building factories and you get to somewhere in the mid-1850's as the earliest you can civilize. I can see advantages and disadvantages to either method. The "Trojan horse gift" of a province to a fellow uncivilized country so you can declare war on them is a nice tactic.

But it feels more like an exploit to me , although a good tactic to civilize a bit earlier if you play uncivs in mp.
Still I civilize the old, non-warmongering way and civilize in the 1868´s..

Yes as I said it was an exploit.However as I had over 100 PP from colonising it only would have made a difference buying machine parts.

They got completely gangbanged, but that's vanilla for you. Not bad as Prussia come back from Bismarck's counter revolution when they had hardly any military.

Quick and easy read, cookie monster. Most enjoyable. The use of screenshot editing was very well done and told the story very succintly. And some nice work in colonizing. I could not help but think that, had you continued, France would have been a major pain in Africa. Overall, nice work!