• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BrytonJSwan

hatched from an egg from the bottom of the sea
57 Badges
Apr 2, 2015
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
Hey! I'm pretty sure this has been brought up before but I wanted to bring it up here just in case. There's something that's been really bothering me since a few screenshots of the map were first shown after the Art of Victoria panel and I wanted to ask about it to see if any changes have been made or if any changes are planned or just what other people's general thoughts are about this. Here's what I'm talking about:

1624024636675.png
1624024655463.png
1624024668281.png
1624024682540.png

Overseas territories are labeled the same way home territories are! This is the same way HoI4 is done and differently to how EU4 and Victoria 2 were both done. I've always really liked seeing like, "Portuguese Africa" and such and I was really sad to see this! It's not the end of the world and there could very well be a perfectly understandable reason for why this has been done that I'm just unaware of, but if it's within the realm of possibility I think it would be really cool for it to be more like EU4 and Victoria 2's map overseas labels were! It just always feels very satisfying seeing like, Brazilian India or Japanese Alaska or whatever spread across the map and it always feels a little bit wrong seeing Africa just labeled as "France" or whatever.

But anyway, that's just my two cents, I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on this. I wasn't under the impression this was an especially spicy take but if it turns out I'm in the minority on this I'd love to know everyone else's reasoning. I sort of maybe didn't time this post all that well for maximum dev impact seeing as I'm pretty sure it's already approaching the end of the workday in Europe going into the weekend but, of course, if any devs want to share the thought process behind this decision we'd all be really interested! Anyway, thanks for reading!

• 31Like
Reactions:
I agree! Perhaps it's not shown like that because a) the game is still in the early stages of development, or b) they want to avoid glitches with map names as happens in Eu4 sometimes. I'm definitely in favor of them changing it back to how it was in Victoria II, though.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Why "Great Britain" rather than "United Kingdom"?
This is actually a valid issue to raise imho. The country was (and still is) indeed the United Kingdom, not Great Britain. Heck, it even says in its full name- United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland/Norhern Ireland (depending on the time period).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_of_Great_Britain_and_Ireland

In fact, such country as Great Britain didn't exist on the international stage in the game's time period. Calling it Great Britain is equally as wrong as calling it just England for example.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Why "Great Britain" rather than "United Kingdom"?
I agree that United Kingdom probably fits better, but at the time most people referred to it as 'Britain' or 'Great Britain' (or more worrying just 'England') with its initials being 'GB' for post or other things. Still is in some places. Quite a few languages also refer to the country as whatever 'Great Britain' translates to, for example Storbritannien in Sweden. Italy does as Italy will do and both calls it 'Regno Unido' and 'Inghilterra' and uses 'GB' for its initials.

Fun little trivia: in both previous Victoria games, the UK's tag is 'ENG' in the game files.

• 1Love
Reactions:
In fact, such country as Great Britain didn't exist on the international stage in the game's time period. Calling it Great Britain is equally as wrong as calling it just England for example.
I mean, I don't know if I'd go that far. "Great Britain" is still in the name whereas England definitely isn't.

The main reason "Great Britain" is sort of weird to me is the fact that Ireland gets left out when you word it like that whereas in "United Kingdom" you imply both Great Britain and Ireland. But on the other hand, apparently in this game even South Africa is labeled as "Great Britain" so honestly, I don't know if I have that many strong feelings about it.

I mean, I don't know if I'd go that far. "Great Britain" is still in the name whereas England definitely isn't.
Can you elaborate please, as I don't quite get this? Great Britain is in the game because the country is incorrectly labeled as such. Great Britain per se is more a geographical region. What I suggested was that using this name to describe what in fact is the UK is as incorrect as using England. And yes, around the world people were (and sometimes they still are) incorrectly referring to the UK as "England". Same goes for "Great Britain".

It doesn't change the fact that the international entity is (and was) offcially called the UK. If the UK is called GB, then in the same manner Austria should be (incorrectly) called Habsburg Empire for example. This is the name that many historians and people alike referred to when talking about Austria, its related kingdoms and later Austro-Hungary.

What I'm getting at- the game should not arbitrary use unofficial names for the countries.

Can you elaborate please, as I don't quite get this?
I meant "Great Britain" is in the name "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland" whereas England is not. It's a short form in the same way "United Kingdom" is a short form. To be honest, it fits the mold of country short forms much more typically in that it excludes the form of government ("The French Republic" becomes "France" rather than "Republic"). Now obviously there are good reasons to call it the United Kingdom rather than Great Britain that are unique to it, mostly that it includes Northern Ireland (or, in the games timeframe, Ireland), so I think it's fair enough to argue that it should be United Kingdom in the game. I just wanted to point out that "Great Britain" is definitely more correct than "England".

Reactions:

The main reason "Great Britain" is sort of weird to me is the fact that Ireland gets left out when you word it like that whereas in "United Kingdom" you imply both Great Britain and Ireland. But on the other hand, apparently in this game even South Africa is labeled as "Great Britain" so honestly, I don't know if I have that many strong feelings about it.
Ireland being left out and forgotten about is pretty historical though.

• 3Like
  • 1Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I'm like, 99.9% sure that in the final game overseas territories will be labeled as such "French Africa" "British India" etc.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Can you elaborate please, as I don't quite get this? Great Britain is in the game because the country is incorrectly labeled as such. Great Britain per se is more a geographical region. What I suggested was that using this name to describe what in fact is the UK is as incorrect as using England. And yes, around the world people were (and sometimes they still are) incorrectly referring to the UK as "England". Same goes for "Great Britain".

It doesn't change the fact that the international entity is (and was) offcially called the UK. If the UK is called GB, then in the same manner Austria should be (incorrectly) called Habsburg Empire for example. This is the name that many historians and people alike referred to when talking about Austria, its related kingdoms and later Austro-Hungary.

What I'm getting at- the game should not arbitrary use unofficial names for the countries.
Well United Kingdom isn't the official name either. It's the United Kingdom of Great Britain and (Northern) Ireland, era depending. Asserting that the United Kingdom is the official name over Great Britain is rather nonsensical. England is of course patently incorrect which everyone agrees on.

And in all this: will no one think of the Welsh?

• 1Haha
Reactions: