• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

nyetflix

Sergeant
Sep 28, 2019
Here are the current modifiers for climate in the game:

current climate mechanics.png

And the current terrain modifiers:

current terrain mechanics.png

There are two problems with this, as I see it. First of all, they are from a very Eurocentric standpoint. The fact that there is a universal value for every terrain type, instead of varying depending on what type of terrain you are used to, is a problem in itself. All tropical provinces (about a third of the world) get sweeping penalties, in addition to the individual terrain penalties.

But there is no shortage of historically massively rich and populous tropical regions: Bengal, South India, Indonesia, Thailand/Cambodia, Nigeria, Ghana, Peru, Mexico, etc. If people need proof of this, I will be more than happy to provide it. The sentiment makes sense for Europeans trying to manage an unfamiliar environment, but local people have always been quite well adapted.

The other problem is that EU4 as a whole places an insufficient amount of importance on this aspect as a whole and it leads to large-scale historical implausibility. In half of my games, Bengal somehow crosses the Himalayas and conquers all of Tibet. Many small countries and provinces that were added because they historically were unable to be conquered or simply weren’t worth it due to environmental factors immediately get steamrolled: Arabian tribes, Himalayan kingdoms, hill kingdoms in Central and Northeast India, many small states throughout Africa, lots of hostile Americans tribes like the Mapuche or Chichimeca or Calchaqui. The list goes on.

My suggestion addresses both of these: add "home terrain" and "home climate" values, meaning the terrain of your capital province. Generally, you get favorable modifiers to provinces more similar to your home environment, and unfavorable modifiers for dissimilar ones. This preserves the penalties that Europeans get, but also opens up better possibilities to seriously playing outside of Europe. However, some terrains, like mountains, glacial, and desert, should be pretty hard no matter what, especially in development cost. We should also add new modifiers for maximum autonomy and coring cost that vary the same way, and perhaps a value of cavalry effectiveness (doesn’t work particularly well in jungles, I believe).

Most of the effects would probably be generated by climate alone, and terrain would mainly have more subtle effects, like the difficulty of a Mediterranean country controlling a heavily forested Northern European area. However, more extreme terrains also have to be taken into account: even if they share the same climate (as currently depicted), controlling jungle should be difficult for countries with a home terrain of savanna. For example, West Africa was historically split between the open northern regions, and the densely forested southern coastal regions (but ingame there is little distinction and countries can take what they want).

These changes would be a step in the right direction, but might not be enough on their own. This idea could certainly be extended to many elements of the game. However, I’m not an expert in that regard and I’m not the person to sketch that out right now.

• 5Like
Reactions:

Lightwell

Colonel
On Probation
55 Badges
Jul 14, 2019
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
I agree with this suggestion, with special emphasis placed on nations struggling in their home climate zones.

• 1Like
Reactions: